What kind of dog should I get?

Stl Bills

First I don't appreciate attributing a quote to me that I never made. Please change that so everyone knows it's strictly your opinion.

No.

Second, I never claimed to be an expert. I merely made some statements that are true.

No, you didn't.

Now, keep spouting ignorance so that you can increase your post count.

Do you believe German Shepherds are just as good, or better, with kids?

Yup. It's not the breed. It's the owners that cause the problem.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

No, you didn't.

Now, keep spouting ignorance so that you can increase your post count.

I work exclusively with German Shephards and so I'm an expert on all breeds.

I work with a German Shepherd Rescue.

Since you work with German Shepherd rescue, a very admirable thing by the way, I think you are biased in your analysis of family dogs.

German Shepherd or Golden Retriever? Hell, I might get one of each......I've been going back and forth for a few months now. I've had a lot of experience with both breeds but just can't make a decision.

We just got a blonde labrador retriever. She's so keeeeeeeeeewt!

I work with a German Shepherd Rescue.

Since you work with German Shepherd rescue, a very admirable thing by the way, I think you are biased in your analysis of family dogs.

I work on placing dogs into families. I am specifically addressing the ignorance if the shepherd comments and how they relate to family environments. I am sorry that was beyond your cognitive abilities.

+1 for the post count.

I work on placing dogs into families. I am specifically addressing the ignorance if the shepherd comments and how they relate to family environments. I am sorry that was beyond your cognitive abilities.

+1 for the post count.

All I said is that GS will be less forgiving of tail tugs and other things toddlers do to dogs than Golden Retrievers. I am sorry that is beyond your cognitive abilities.

I got my Siberian when she was five, and as much as I love her I will never take on someone else's dog again. I would never recommend adoption to anyone other than an experienced dog owner because it isn't easy. That being said, I've learned an awful lot from owning her.

Well said. I applaud anyone who adopts a rescue. My wife and I used to foster rescues for Labs (It is basically labs since there is also a very successful Golden Rescue)and Sheltie rescues in Mass.

My wife's first dog was a Lab/Shepard mix that she got from a rescue. After for four years, we had to put him down shortly after we got married. He bit her niece, who happened to be the daughter of the matron of honor about three hours before the ceremony. :( He bit again two months later, and I took him to the vet to be put down. That was when we got her first sheltie. The reason we went with a sheltie was that Jen was ready to give up on dogs altogether. She blamed herself. The sheltie breeder was someone I knew and trusted, and she needed to get back in the saddle pretty quickly. Anyway, that sheltie puppy is now 12. Jen and he did AKC obedience and came close to getting his UD. They got into a rut on the hand single down of all things! Her work then required her to travel more, and then came the twins. :worthy: Suddenly he's 12 pretty creaky. He was also amazing at catching a frisbee. He caught so many his lower canines got ground down.

The point of all that was to contrast the breeder and rescue experience. You get to at least meet the mother of the pup. (personalities are hereditary) You also have someone to turn to if you run into trouble. Most of all, any reputable breeder will take a dog back of you are unable to care for it anymore.

I had a Golden rescue. I watched my dad train is golden growing up. In fact the teacher my dad went to class with was the sheltie breeder... He was 10 months when I got him. The family claimed he nipped one of the kids. (yeah, right) He also needed a bigger yard that the .1 acre lot they lived on. Turned out that dog needed more than 10 acres to run on. Man could he run. He once was picked up five miles away. Later on, after he thankfully slowed down some, he got into a car while I was moving into a house in Amherst. Luckily I got the plate, but point I am trying to make is goldens can be too friendly sometimes.

He was petrified of water, too. I always figured the people I got him from must have thrown him in the pool when he was a puppy or something. He'd be twenty this year. I wish he'd met my boys.

Oz

Anyway, if you need help deciding what breed, you probably should not be going to a rescue.

All I said is that GS will be less forgiving of tail tugs and other things toddlers do to dogs than Golden Retrievers.

Which is flat-out false. My opinion is based on actual experience with evaluating dogs. Yours is based on what you pull up on Goggle. What part of that is too difficult for you to understand? Again, ignorance like yours is what causes problems for shepherds. Stop.

+1 for the post count. Only 12,465 more and I will equal your daily output.

Well said. I applaud anyone who adopts a rescue. My wife and I used to foster rescues for Labs (It is basically labs since there is also a very successful Golden Rescue)and Sheltie rescues in Mass.

My wife's first dog was a Lab/Shepard mix that she got from a rescue. After for four years, we had to put him down shortly after we got married. He bit her niece, who happened to be the daughter of the matron of honor about three hours before the ceremony. :( He bit again two months later, and I took him to the vet to be put down. That was when we got her first sheltie. The reason we went with a sheltie was that Jen was ready to give up on dogs altogether. She blamed herself. The sheltie breeder was someone I knew and trusted, and she needed to get back in the saddle pretty quickly. Anyway, that sheltie puppy is now 12. Jen and he did AKC obedience and came close to getting his UD. They got into a rut on the hand single down of all things! Her work then required her to travel more, and then came the twins. :worthy: Suddenly he's 12 pretty creaky. He was also amazing at catching a frisbee. He caught so many his lower canines got ground down.

The point of all that was to contrast the breeder and rescue experience. You get to at least meet the mother of the pup. (personalities are hereditary) You also have someone to turn to if you run into trouble. Most of all, any reputable breeder will take a dog back of you are unable to care for it anymore.

I had a Golden rescue. I watched my dad train is golden growing up. In fact the teacher my dad went to class with was the sheltie breeder... He was 10 months when I got him. The family claimed he nipped one of the kids. (yeah, right) He also needed a bigger yard that the .1 acre lot they lived on. Turned out that dog needed more than 10 acres to run on. Man could he run. He once was picked up five miles away. Later on, after he thankfully slowed down some, he got into a car while I was moving into a house in Amherst. Luckily I got the plate, but point I am trying to make is goldens can be too friendly sometimes.

He was petrified of water, too. I always figured the people I got him from must have thrown him in the pool when he was a puppy or something. He'd be twenty this year. I wish he'd met my boys.

Oz

Anyway, if you need help deciding what breed, you probably should not be going to a rescue.

:cry: That wood is about a quarter the size he is!

From a Looney Tunes cartoon I can't remember the title;

"You are not a Labrador Retriever"

"Oh yeah! Get me a Labrador and I'll retrieve her!"

How is the philosophy different from a breeder?

You shouldn't go to a bad rescue. It is really no different than going to a bad breeder. The concept is the same.

Our rescue has no trouble telling people what breeds would be a better fit for them than a GSD. Any good rescue will care more about getting the right dog into the right home, than just getting any dog into a home. We have a network of rescues for various breeds. If we think a Yorkie is a better fit for the household, we will forward them to a Yorkie rescue. If we find a Boston Terrier that needs a home, we work with a Boston Terrier rescue to get that dog into foster care until a permanent home is found.

Which is flat-out false. My opinion is based on actual experience with evaluating dogs. Yours is based on what you pull up on Goggle. What part of that is too difficult for you to understand? Again, ignorance like yours is what causes problems for shepherds. Stop.

+1 for the post count. Only 12,465 more and I will equal your daily output.

No, my opinion is based upon a lot of people I know with dogs. Shepherds and Goldens. The problem here is that a lot of people will ask "Link" so I provided one. The post count line is awesome you really put me in my place. :worthy:

How many Goldens have you evaluated? Do you think those who wrote those Links I provided have never evaluated a dog before? Your ignorance of other people's expertise with dogs is the problem here. Your opinion is not the only one. Deal with it.

I have had 2 goldens--they are obviously great dogs.

There are a few Shepards in my neighborhood and I've gotten to know them well. They are fantastic too. Like KRC and others have said, get to know both the dog and the breed. In terms of aggression, I see little difference between the goldens and shepards. The shepards are more intimidating looking (stand taller, more powerfully built) and maybe not as affectionate to strangers (my dog would go home with the first passer-by who held out his hand) but I've never seen them act aggressively to person or dog.

I second KRC's suggestion to rescue (because you'll go to heaven), but I have to admit that I got both my goldens from breeders and raised them from pups. If you're buying a puppy (ie, a dog without a formed personality), meet both parent dogs to make sure they are the kind of dog you want AND spend the extra money for a reputable breeder.

No, my opinion is based upon a lot of people I know with dogs. Shepherds and Goldens. The problem here is that a lot of people will ask "Link" so I provided one. The post count line is awesome you really put me in my place. :worthy:

How many Goldens have you evaluated? Do you think those who wrote those Links I provided have never evaluated a dog before? Your ignorance of other people's expertise with dogs is the problem here. Your opinion is not the only one. Deal with it.

Part of your problem is your track record. The other part is you're wrong.

No, my opinion is based upon a lot of people I know with dogs.

Ahhh...The Ed defense. Brilliant. It worked well for him, so you should have no trouble. :worthy:

The problem here is that a lot of people will ask "Link" so I provided one.

...and you do it with reckless abandon. Everywhere. Regardless of topic.

How many Goldens have you evaluated?

I've lost count. Same with the other breeds.

Do you think those who wrote those Links I provided have never evaluated a dog before? Your ignorance of other people's expertise with dogs is the problem here. Your opinion is not the only one. Deal with it.

It's on the intertubes. It must be legit. :(

+1 for the post count. Now, I just need to respond to every post on every other thread and I will get close to your post counts. Don't worry, I will also respond to the posts where I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about. Fair is fair, right?

My job is placing the proper dogs in the proper homes. When an applicant approaches us for adoption of one of our shepherds, I do the reference checks to make sure that they would be good parents to their new dog. That includes talking to their vet, as well as the personal references. Next, you need to evaluate the home to see the environment that the dog will be living in. Do they have a fenced-in yard? How tall is the fence? Any other animals? Kids? How old? How long will the dog be left alone during the day? What is the level of expertise of the owners with dogs? You get the idea.

First, think it great for any one to work wuth a rescue operation. Both of my dogs have come not from rescue, but from shelters.

But heres my question KRC, and i am not trying to pick a fight etc, just curious. Why is the fence thing such a positive when it comes to dogs? I say that only as I have been asked that both times I have adopted, and I see both positives and negatives on owners who have a fenced in yard .

First the cons:

Maybe its just me, but I see a lot of folks simply dump their dogs in a backyard cause its fenced in, and do not give the dog the proper exercise and stimulation it needs through walks runs, interactions with other dogs etc. etc. I am not sure, but I would imagine a ton of dogs get given up due to bad behaviour when the dog hasn't been on a walk in weeks, but gets dumped in the backyard. Both of the breeds mentioned in this thread need plenty of exercise that can not be achieved in the back yards of most homes.

Pros:

It sure is nice when the dog has to go to just open a door and not have to go outside, especially in the rain,snow etc. I could see where this bacomes a pain in da ass for folks and could lead to a dog turned in as well, but assume less than the bad behavior dogs.

Again, more curious than anything else.

First, think it great for any one to work wuth a rescue operation. Both of my dogs have come not from rescue, but from shelters.

But heres my question KRC, and i am not trying to pick a fight etc, just curious. Why is the fence thing such a positive when it comes to dogs? I say that only as I have been asked that both times I have adopted, and I see both positives and negatives on owners who have a fenced in yard .

First the cons:

Maybe its just me, but I see a lot of folks simply dump their dogs in a backyard cause its fenced in, and do not give the dog the proper exercise and stimulation it needs through walks runs, interactions with other dogs etc. etc. I am not sure, but I would imagine a ton of dogs get given up due to bad behaviour when the dog hasn't been on a walk in weeks, but gets dumped in the backyard. Both of the breeds mentioned in this thread need plenty of exercise that can not be achieved in the back yards of most homes.

Pros:

It sure is nice when the dog has to go to just open a door and not have to go outside, especially in the rain,snow etc. I could see where this bacomes a pain in da ass for folks and could lead to a dog turned in as well, but assume less than the bad behavior dogs.

Again, more curious than anything else.

A fenced-in yard gives you the ability to allow the dog to run free in your back yard and not have to be put on a leash. This allows you to play with the dog and have the necessary bonding experience with play. That is very important. Just having them roam in the backyard is not enough. You need to play with the dog for the necessary bonding and dissipation of energy. The height of the fence is also important. A GSD can jump over a 4' fence with ease. We like to see a 6' fence.

Regardless, you bring up excellent points. GSD's are energetic dogs. They need exercise. You can't just dump them in the yard and forget about them. You need to burn off that energy every day. Otherwise, you will get behavioral issues (as you mentioned). That is why we spend so much time and effort evaluating not only the dog, but the potential adopter. If you place the wrong dog with a family, the dog will just end up back at a shelter. Depending on the issues surrounding the abandoning, it could mean a death sentence for the dog. We would rather see the dog stay in foster care until we find the right home.

I agree to a point. Breeds do have different natures. If you trained a sheltie like you train a GSD the sheltie would wilt. I certainly used vastly different methods on my 6 year old sheltie (treats and lots of praise) than I did on my golden. I used a GSD training book called Toward the PhD for Dogs. I've watched goldens and GSD owners try the treat methods, but they just aren't as successful...

On fences, I would hope (and guess) that Ken evaluates that on a case by case basis. We don't have a fenced in yard but we do have a park half a block from our house where our dog runs free in a big open field. Once we knew we could trust him off the leash, that's where we go. Before that, we took him to the same park and let him run free in the tennis courts (fenced in). He gets walked up to that park 5x a day, rain, snow, or shine though the play time tends to be longer on sunny days...just human nature!). Plus he swims at another park a few times a week. That--I trust--would overcome the fence issue.

But I understand that a fenced in yard is an instant-plus when evaluating a home. You can instantly know that the dog can run free and play even if the owner claims they will take the dog to a local park. Plus you know the dog won't run away, get hit by a car, attack/get attacked by another dog, etc. Fences are good for dogs in most cases.

Different breeds are more prone to be aggressive towards people or other animals. I'm sure with proper training you can overcome the tendencies a breed may have, but the fact remains that the tendencies are there. I have a German Shorthair Pointer that points and hunts all day and a Golden that couldn't care less what walks by. I have had to seperate my GSP from fights with other dogs that approach aggressively while my Golden doesn't look twice at them. Is that because I have subconciously treated them differently or could it be that they have different traits? My ex wife was bitten on the face by my friend's GS and I have other friends that cannot bring their GS over because they are afraid they will bite the other dogs. On the other hand, the trainer at the puppy class we attended had 2 GS rescues that were the best behaved dogs I have seen. If you are an experienced dog trainer any dog can be extremely well behaved. If you are a novice, there are breeds you should avoid. Nothing against GSs, but they were bred for different purposes.

I agree to a point. Breeds do have different natures. If you trained a sheltie like you train a GSD the sheltie would wilt. I certainly used vastly different methods on my 6 year old sheltie (treats and lots of praise) than I did on my golden. I used a GSD training book called Toward the PhD for Dogs. I've watched goldens and GSD owners try the treat methods, but they just aren't as successful...

To a degree, you are correct. But, you will also see a substantial difference in natures within the breed. Hell, within the same litter, you will see drastically different natures. Meeting the mom is a good thing when evaluating a dog, but it is only a small part. You can have pups from the same litter experiencing vastly different personalities. You can't just pick any dog from the litter an expect them all to be similar in nature.

Part of your problem is your track record. The other part is you're wrong.

Your proof I'm wrong?

I admit when I'm wrong. Others don't do that because they aren't man enough to own up and that doesn't make my track record any worse, just more honest.

I.E. some people who believe their opinions are the only right ones and aren't willing to admit that other opinions are valid at all.

Ahhh...The Ed defense. Brilliant. It worked well for him, so you should have no trouble. :worthy:

...and you do it with reckless abandon. Everywhere. Regardless of topic.

I've lost count. Same with the other breeds.

It's on the intertubes. It must be legit. :(

+1 for the post count. Now, I just need to respond to every post on every other thread and I will get close to your post counts. Don't worry, I will also respond to the posts where I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about. Fair is fair, right?

Ummm, your posting on the intertubes too. So what makes you more of an expert than anyone else who posts on the intertubes? Oh wait I know, because you say so and nobody else on the intertubes has a valid opinion, except yours of course.

Dude, just admit that other opinions are just as valid as yours because they come from experts too. Your making yourself look like a pompous ass.