Oliver Stone

Madonna

Reno

The West Wing

2-and-a-half Men

30 Rock

George Clooney

Titanic

I'm glad to see Julia "most beautiful woman" Roberts mentioned a few times here. I never saw the attraction with her. I think she is pretty ordinary. Give me 15 minutes at noon in uptown Charlotte and I can find 30 women that are more attractive than J.R..

I'm glad to see Julia "most beautiful woman" Roberts mentioned a few times here. I never saw the attraction with her. I think she is pretty ordinary. Give me 15 minutes at noon in uptown Charlotte and I can find 30 women that are more attractive than J.R..

But are those women mediocre actresses?

Probably not and that's what makes them attractive.

I assumed when he said Julia was overrated it wasn't with regard to looks alone. I guess I was thinking too deeply.

I would agree with all, except #1!

I watched the first 2 seasons. I thought the acting was good, but after awhile it just got pointless to me. I was left wondering, "Where are you going with this show?".

I guess I just did'nt get it.

I watched the first 2 seasons. I thought the acting was good, but after awhile it just got pointless to me. I was left wondering, "Where are you going with this show?".

I guess I just did'nt get it.

Not to sound condescending, but too bad for you...I don't think there has anything as excellent on television, ever...if you didn't like the first two seasons, and thought they were pointless, you probably wouldn't like the rest. The combination of the excellent acting and writing made this, I think, the only "can't miss" tv show for me, since I was a child, when I would watch pretty much anything that was popular.

The character of Tony Soprano, to me, is one of the greatest characters ever created, in any medium. There have been some great adult tv shows over the years (and as bad as most things seems these days, there are more good television shows for adults now, than ever), but the Sopranos is, to me, the only one that ever, consistently, didn't underestimate its' audiences intelligence, never had the need to spell everything out for us, and took so many turns, while never losing its' credibility.

I know the last two seasons, or so, even ardent fans started to complain that it wasn't violent enough, or were offended by the storyline of a homosexual gangster, but that is what I loved about the show. It was like a book, more than a typical movie or tv show. It took time to build its' characters, and didn't cut corners in making them completely real. There would be weeks where it seemed like "nothing happened", and then, in some unexpected turn, it all made sense, and one brief flash of violence had more impact than the bloodiest "whack" in any other mob story. There were times when I would watch, and have to rewind, because I realized that something very significant had just happened, without me even realizing it...there are few things I have ever watched, that were more challenging, or rewarding than the Sopranos...the show was so layered and textured...man, I miss it...

Not to sound condescending, but too bad for you...I don't think there has anything as excellent on television, ever...if you didn't like the first two seasons, and thought they were pointless, you probably wouldn't like the rest. The combination of the excellent acting and writing made this, I think, the only "can't miss" tv show for me, since I was a child, when I would watch pretty much anything that was popular.

The character of Tony Soprano, to me, is one of the greatest characters ever created, in any medium. There have been some great adult tv shows over the years (and as bad as most things seems these days, there are more good television shows for adults now, than ever), but the Sopranos is, to me, the only one that ever, consistently, didn't underestimate its' audiences intelligence, never had the need to spell everything out for us, and took so many turns, while never losing its' credibility.

I know the last two seasons, or so, even ardent fans started to complain that it wasn't violent enough, or were offended by the storyline of a homosexual gangster, but that is what I loved about the show. It was like a book, more than a typical movie or tv show. It took time to build its' characters, and didn't cut corners in making them completely real. There would be weeks where it seemed like "nothing happened", and then, in some unexpected turn, it all made sense, and one brief flash of violence had more impact than the bloodiest "whack" in any other mob story. There were times when I would watch, and have to rewind, because I realized that something very significant had just happened, without me even realizing it...there are few things I have ever watched, that were more challenging, or rewarding than the Sopranos...the show was so layered and textured...man, I miss it...

Great post. I didn't get into it until somewhere around season 3-4 but was completely hooked. Because we missed so many of the early ones, wifey and I recently loaded up the Netflix queue with the entire series....watched the first two last night. :o Those damn ducks....

I was referring mainly to her looks, but the description does fit her acting as well.

In truth, Julia doesn't get roles because she is ultra-beautiful or because she is a great actress. She gets roles because she has been in films that have made a lot of money. She has been lucky and has chosen her roles very well. I'd put many of today's biggest stars in that same category.

I have little use for her, but until she starts staring in box office bombs, she is likely to remain overrated in all areas, except knowing how to be a movie star. I count many (if not most) pop culture stars (in music, art, "showbiz", etc) in the same league.

In truth, Julia doesn't get roles because she is ultra-beautiful or because she is a great actress. She gets roles because she has been in films that have made a lot of money. She has been lucky and has chosen her roles very well. I'd put many of today's biggest stars in that same category.

I have little use for her, but until she starts staring in box office bombs, she is likely to remain overrated in all areas, except knowing how to be a movie star. I count many (if not most) pop culture stars (in music, art, "showbiz", etc) in the same league.

So what you're saying is that she wealthy because she's mediocre at what she does but the average American doesn't recognize mediocrity? I'll buy that.

Things that are overrated:

Stripclubs

Cover bands and all music covers in general

Any movie that is based on a tv show or comic book

Labatt Blue

Seinfeld

Black belts in most martial arts

Fast Food

TV shows about ghosts or UFOs or ESP or rituals or monsters or you get the picture

Bikers (especially some fat azz yuppie turd who gets in his Hell's angels gear and tools around the block)

Bicyclists (especially some fat azz yuppie turd who gets in his Lance Armstrong gear and tools around the block)

Fishing and hunting

Cell phones and Texting

SUVs

Fake body parts

Americans who believe they are Irish, Italian, African, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Polish, English, etc. etc.

Reality TV

Florida

Weddings

Will Ferrell

Celebrities

Cheerleaders