Things that ARE overrated

KD in CA

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your Meryl Streep (good call) and raise you Julia Roberts.

I don't know. Meryl Streep won Oscars for effortlessly being Meryl Streep (as opposed every single other graduate of the Vassar drama department, who is taught "be Meryl Streep", but can't do it because they're not, in fact, Meryl Streep). Julia Roberts, on the other hand, won an Oscar for acting like she had large breasts in Erin Brockovich...which, when you think about it, is pretty good acting on her part.

And since I brought it up: the Vassar drama department, who's motto should be "We teach you to act like Meryl Streep." Except that, since you're not Meryl Streep, you will SUCK at it. Every other successful actor/actress from Vassar that I can think of either dropped out (Jane Fonda, Justin "I'm a Mac" Long), or wasn't trained by the drama department (Lisa Kudrow - a pre-med student.)

I don't know if they were overrated or just got in over their heads, but I'd have to say- even by Super Bowl standards- The Mighty Bombjacks were a pretty weak act:

I mean, it's the biggest game of the year for cryin' out loud.

Overrated? They can FLY!

Way better than Up With People:

:nana:

Did The Simpsons spoof them, or are they spoofing The Simpsons?

Simpsons spoofed them, of course. Up with people started in 1965. Their big song was called "Up With People" so you know they have to be good. Only great bands have a song that is the name of the band. (With a minor apology to Bad Company.)

Glenn Close was a member of Up With People.

Overrated? They can FLY!

Way better than Up With People:

To be fair, they did have several years of technology on their side. If UWP hadn't disbanded before the '90 season, who knows what they could have pulled off.

Oh man, if Up With People could have flown... or shot fireballs out of various orifices, or both, that could've been the greatest halftime show ever!

Thanks for the blast from the past- let the nightmares begin!

To be fair, they did have several years of technology on their side. If UWP hadn't disbanded before the '90 season, who knows what they could have pulled off.

Oh man, if Up With People could have flown... or shot fireballs out of various orifices, or both, that could've been the greatest halftime show ever!

Thanks for the blast from the past- let the nightmares begin!

For the record, Up With People has played at the halftime of FOUR Super Bowls:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_halftime_shows

Doesn't matter how they got there, they both sucked once there.

Too true.

The Bills had one good, if unsuccessful, outing. Maybe UPW did, too (but I doubt it).

Ohhh the Giants game? Yeah that was a great performance. You must be from Buffalo to consider a loss a good performance. :nana:

You said "good" not "great". And. yes, welcome to the real world. A good performance is sometimes not good enough to win. Last time I checked TWO teams played. Losing doesn't always mean you played terribly. Some of the best performances I have ever seen in sports were losses to an even better performance.

The Bills may not have been great against the Giants, but they were certainly good. The Giants were better.