Trent Edwards=Chad Pennington?

If you look the skill sets both Edwards and Pennington they are similar (they both are accurate passer who make good decisions even if they are more cautious). Both have injury histories and concerns about arm strength. While Edwards doesn't have quite the veteran status of Pennington they both are shaping up to be similar players.

Is it a bad thing though? Pennington took the lowly Fins from 1-15 to 11-5. He also made the playoffs several times with the Jets including being a missed field goal away from the AFC title game. Pennington has won 2 playoff games as well. But he hasn't gotten past the second round of the Playoffs ever. He also has missed so much playing time due to injuries.

The next question is, is Edwards going to be a Chad Pennington like QB. A playoff caliber QB who is a ticking time bomb for injury? I think Edwards has a slightly stronger arm than Pennington had even before his injury and his injury track record isn't one that is as bad as Penningtonsb(Although I don't think Pennington was a guy who was injured much in college unlike Edwards)

To me I don't want to see Edwards be the next Chad Pennington even without the injuries. Pennington was a guy who could get you to the playoffs but wasn't going to win you a Super Bowl unless you put him on a team that had a great D, good running game, and receivers that were suited for him.

The problem with a guy like Chad was the better defenses could stack the box take away the ground game and gear coverage for the short and intermediate passes. Once you forced Chad to throw deep it was over. In the playoffs he proved it big time. The Ravens did it to him this year.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards has a much stronger arm than Pennington. Edwards arm strength is always brought up, even though all the reporters who watch him throw daily at training camp say he has plenty of arm strength to throw any pass he needs to throw...

To me I don't want to see Edwards be the next Chad Pennington even without the injuries. Pennington was a guy who could get you to the playoffs but wasn't going to win you a Super Bowl unless you put him on a team that had a great D, good running game, and receivers that were suited for him.

Yeah, that'd be a drag.

But if we had a QB that could win a Super Bowl with a great defense, we've got the good running game and a solid team of wide receivers. We'd just need that defense to come around.

If you look the skill sets both Edwards and Pennington they are similar (they both are accurate passer who make good decisions even if they are more cautious). Both have injury histories and concerns about arm strength. While Edwards doesn't have quite the veteran status of Pennington they both are shaping up to be similar players.

Is it a bad thing though? Pennington took the lowly Fins from 1-15 to 11-5. He also made the playoffs several times with the Jets including being a missed field goal away from the AFC title game. Pennington has won 2 playoff games as well. But he hasn't gotten past the second round of the Playoffs ever. He also has missed so much playing time due to injuries.

The next question is, is Edwards going to be a Chad Pennington like QB. A playoff caliber QB who is a ticking time bomb for injury? I think Edwards has a slightly stronger arm than Pennington had even before his injury and his injury track record isn't one that is as bad as Penningtonsb(Although I don't think Pennington was a guy who was injured much in college unlike Edwards)

The problem with a guy like Chad was the better defenses could stack the box take away the ground game and gear coverage for the short and intermediate passes. Once you forced Chad to throw deep it was over. In the playoffs he proved it big time. The Ravens did it to him this year.

Edwards arm is a bit stronger than Chads. Chad has proven that he can consistently finish off drives.trent still needs to develope in that respect. AND trent is concussion prone.Another bad concussion...and could be bye bye career.

Interesting comparison. Both quarterbacks definitely share some common traits. The intelligence and ability to make quick read being key amongst them. The O-Line play is a factor and at this point I would say that Chad had more years playing behind a better line than Trent has had. It will be interesting to see what Trent can do when he gets to play behind a line comparable to some of the lines Pennington had early in the decade when he was completing almost 70% of his passes.

Yeah, that'd be a drag.

But if we had a QB that could win a Super Bowl with a great defense, we've got the good running game and a solid team of wide receivers. We'd just need that defense to come around.

I don't want to see this team built just to get bounced in the playoffs. Like any good sports franchise with prolonged success (Yankees, Red Wings, New Jersey Devils, Spurs, Lakers, Steelers ect) you build to win a super bowl every year or rebuild if they aren't going to or aren't on their way to. The playoffs just look so good because we haven't been their for so long like a ex girlfriend who wasn't the hottest you ever had but you just haven't had many girls since so she looks so sweet.

Edwards has a much stronger arm than Pennington. Edwards arm strength is always brought up, even though all the reporters who watch him throw daily at training camp say he has plenty of arm strength to throw any pass he needs to throw...

The reporters say the same thing about Pennington.

Neither guy has proved to be able to handle bad weather.

Still, this is essentially not a good comparison. Pennington's essential characteristic at this point is experience and consistency, and Trent has yet to prove himself in this area. We still haven't really figured out what kind of QB Trent is going to be. It's just not a good idea to compare him to anybody at this point.

The reporters say the same thing about Pennington.

Neither guy has proved to be able to handle bad weather.

Still, this is essentially not a good comparison. Pennington's essential characteristic at this point is experience and consistency, and Trent has yet to prove himself in this area. We still haven't really figured out what kind of QB Trent is going to be. It's just not a good idea to compare him to anybody at this point.

My point would be that if Edwards does develop into anything it looks like it might be a Chad Pennington like player based on what I have seen from Trent so far.

Trent is more physically gifted than Chad, but is not yet close to being as good of a QB as Chad was.

If he turns out to be as good as Chad, but with a better arm (and more mobile) I will be very happy.

Trent is more physically gifted than Chad, but is not yet close to being as good of a QB as Chad was.

If he turns out to be as good as Chad, but with a better arm (and more mobile) I will be very happy.

I would say that before we worry about the Bills winning a Super Bowl that we should worry about making the playoffs. So I agree with the Dean. To briefly reference another thread, Flutie was 4-1 for the Bills in 2000 and would have led us to a third straight playoff appearance had he been the starter. But he wasn't. I think many people would rather have a prototypical QB who sucks instead of a runt who wins. Therefore, Jim Druckenmiller and Kyle Boller get drafted high and guys like Flutie, Tarkenton, and Garcia have to make the most of their opportunities. Give me a playoff quarterback...true Super Bowl quarterbacks are far and few between. I don't think there's any question that Trent has a higher upside than "Super Bowl quarterbacks" such as Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

The comparison with Pennington is one that I've considered before. He is very cerebral and committed like Chad and that's what made me think of them as similar. But there's no doubt that Trent is more physically gifted.

I think the best that Trent Edwards could become would be a Dan Fouts type quarterback. Many may scoff at this but it's a conviction of mine nonetheless. Both are tall with very quick readability and quick releases. Both are very smart and have excellent football IQs. Neither is terribly mobile and I would give Trent the advantage here as he has very good pocket feel and decent straight line getaway speed.

People who see Fouts' stats but didn't see him play might assume he had a strong arm. He didn't. It was, like Trent's, average. With all the weapons at his disposal, I personally believe that Trent will have a breakout year.

I would say that before we worry about a team winning a Super Bowl that we should worry about making the playoffs. So I agree with the Dean.

This is a comparison that I've considered before. He is very cerebral and committed like Chad and that's what made me think of them as similar. But there's no doubt that Trent is more physically gifted.

I think the best that Trent Edwards could become would be a Dan Fouts type quarterback. Many may scoff at this but it's a conviction of mine nonetheless. Both are tall with very quick readability and quick releases. Both are very smart and have excellent football IQs. Neither is terribly mobile and I would give Trent the advantage here as he has very good pocket feel decent straight line getaway speed.

People who see Fouts' stats but didn't see him play might assume he had a strong arm. He didn't. It was, like Trent's, average. With all the weapons at his disposal, I personally believe that Trent will have a breakout year.

I'd be happy if Trent becomes as good as Chad. I will be ecstatic if he becomes anywhere near as good as Fouts.

You are right, they have fairly similar skill sets. What Fouts did, that Trent has yet to learn/master is to let the ball go, and trust the WR. Fouts didn't wait until the WR was open. He threw it to the spot the WR was supposed to be, and trusted the WR would be there and make the play. Say what you want about the Bills WR, but they run good routes. (I have seen some posts claiming Parrish can't run routes, but have never noticed that and have yet to see a credible football source suggest as much.)

If he really has it in him, this is a good year to find out. First class WR corp, outstanding RBs and I trust, at least adequate TE play. The offensive line is a question mark, but very rarely does a QB have every single thing going for him. He may have to make plays while taking hits on occasion, but good QBs have to do that.

I have to believe, unless the coaches completely screw the pooch (again) with horrible play calling/decisions/time management/etc (again), he will have a terrific year.....IF he doesn't loose too many games to injury.

Trent is on a short leash with me, 1 or 2 more seasons of us not making the post season and I will be looking for his replacement. Pennington was 2nd in the league last year with a 97.4 QB rating, while Trent was 17th with a respectale 85.4. They both were very accurate completing a high percentage. Penny 19 TDs only 7 picks, Trent 10 & 10.

Stats aside they are similar players, Pennington has shown more ability to manage the game and come away with a victory.

I would prefer a beter QB than Trent or Chad running the show in BUFFALO!

I agree that Chad is very similar to Trent. However, as other posters have said, Trent is significantly stronger. In addition, his leadership abilities are better. I think Trent has all of the tools to take us to the promised land. If it wasn't for the concussion, we may have got there last year. Look for some fireworks.

One point of note - last year I was a big proponent of the Bills cutting Losman and bringing Pettington in to back up Trent given their similar styles. Oh how I wish that happened. Rather than having him as a more than solid backup, we now face him twice a year playing for a legit team.

i don't know why it is even controversial whether pennington is good or not. of course he is a good qb and he has embarrassed the bills more than once. i look forward to the day we can say trent edwards is as good as pennington. i hope it comes this year, but i am afraid he is going to get killed behind our line before we ever find out how good he could be.

Interesting comparison. Both quarterbacks definitely share some common traits. The intelligence and ability to make quick read being key amongst them. The O-Line play is a factor and at this point I would say that Chad had more years playing behind a better line than Trent has had. It will be interesting to see what Trent can do when he gets to play behind a line comparable to some of the lines Pennington had early in the decade when he was completing almost 70% of his passes.

I think it's interesting too, and comparable. I want to believe Trent's arm is stronger, though we haven't seen much of it. I'd prefer he be more like Fergy, but if Trent turns out to be another Chad with a stronger gun, I'd be satisfied.

I see very few Bills' games. They are seldom aired here in Cincy, as I suppose CIN games seldom show up on WNY television. Zero in '06. 3 in '07, and zero again in '08.

Some posters here implied that when he came back from his concussion last season, he looked gun-shy. Was that a valid observation?