Looks like North Korea wants war

We should ask him, then. Because my recollection is that Bush did not change his policy late-term. And I know I've heard Obama push the six-party talks preferentially over unilateral dialogue with NK.

How do we contact him, send up a bat signal?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't worship anyone, you moron, but I do trust Obama's decision making, especially his foreign policy team.

Bush's problems with the deficit and two wars didn't start with Clinton. He came in with a surplus, gave it away in tax cuts for the rich which haven't helped our long term growth, took the government's focus off al Queda and on Saddam, and ordered the unnecessary Iraq invasion.

Oh brother, I should know better:

Do you REALLY think the inherited surplus has anything to do with Clinton?

We should ask him, then. Because my recollection is that Bush did not change his policy late-term. And I know I've heard Obama push the six-party talks preferentially over unilateral dialogue with NK.

Bush wavered ever-so slightly over the last year or so of his term. Granted, the focus was still the six-party talks, but I think that the other parties needed him to back down slightly from his hard stance in order to get the DPRK to come to an agreement (for what it is worth). The US would take the DPRK off the list of state-sponsors of terror (which was a slight concession to the DPRK). They also added various forms of aid to the DPRK in order to get them to an agreement. They reached the agreement, but it didn't have enough teeth to really be binding. They left too much wiggle room for the DPRK to get out of it by not setting enough in stone. You can pretty much score that one for the DPRK, but Bush overwhelmingly won throughout his terms.

Now, Obama is moving slightly toward the Clinton approach, which is not a good thing. He has been trying to open diplomatic ties with the DPRK. I am not sure if that is the right approach at this time. Overall, the Bush approach was working and to see Obama follow most of those policies is a good thing. If he starts to back off, then there will be a problem. Focusing more on the PSI is a good thing and a continuation of Bush's policies. Obama needs to be careful with this, however. One false step and he will not get international support for future actions. He also needs to not back down to these new threats. If he does that, the DPRK will walk all over him.

The main problem Obama faces now is that the DPRK is looking for a change in power to Kim Jong Un (KJI's youngest son). That is pretty much what you are seeing at this time (missles, nuclear tests, etc). KJI seems to be as sick as reports are leading us to believe and they need a succession plan in place. In order to do that, you need to start creating a legacy for KJU. The people will not except him as the new leader without it. Some rumors have it that the Party will call the shots and KJU will just be a figurehead, but that till remains to be seen. If KJI passes in short order, that is probably what is going to happen. If KJI can stick it out for a while longer, KJU will obtain the real power. More time is needed to see how much power KJU will really have once daddy passes.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, so I have no idea what anyone else has said.

I don't worship anyone, you moron, but I do trust Obama's decision making, especially his foreign policy team.

Bush's problems with the deficit and two wars didn't start with Clinton. He came in with a surplus, gave it away in tax cuts for the rich which haven't helped our long term growth, took the government's focus off al Queda and on Saddam, and ordered the unnecessary Iraq invasion.

The Iraq and Al Queda issues didnt pre-date Bush's Presidency?

And youre calling Tom the moron?

Not for nothing, but Obama had his Sect. of State gave a long time US rival a plastic "reset button" as a way to start negotiations. Its not like people of our "ilk" are getting our opinions just out of thin air.

I was talking only about "your ilk" thinking that anyone in the white house or pentagon or state department went into their jobs thinking this would be easy or that just talking to them would suddenly make them change their minds. NO ONE anywhere believes that and it's the height of naivete to believe they believe that.

I doubt if Obama thought about NK or Iran at all till,oh about 2 weeks ago. What he is discovering is that actually dealing with real bad guys is very different then criticizing Bush from the sidelines,or making inspirational speech's in a room of swooning followers.

No, that was entirely obvious to anyone and has been for decades. That's the point.

The main problem Obama faces now is that the DPRK is looking for a change in power to Kim Jong Un (KJI's youngest son). That is pretty much what you are seeing at this time (missles, nuclear tests, etc). KJI seems to be as sick as reports are leading us to believe and they need a succession plan in place. In order to do that, you need to start creating a legacy for KJU. The people will not except him as the new leader without it. Some rumors have it that the Party will call the shots and KJU will just be a figurehead, but that till remains to be seen. If KJI passes in short order, that is probably what is going to happen. If KJI can stick it out for a while longer, KJU will obtain the real power. More time is needed to see how much power KJU will really have once daddy passes.

That is the major issue, IMO. I don't think anyone in the world, including the stinkin' Jong Ils themselves, have any idea how this is going to play our or what they are going to do next.

Example #1 proving youre totally wrong:

Closing GITMO on Day One of his Presidency.

Bush had already said he was going to close Gitmo as soon as conditions permit. McCain said he would close Gitmo for the same reasons Obama stated, because it became a symbol and was hurting us abroad. Obama just pushed it forward a little bit and set a tentative date at a year, which he is not going to force or enforce. What the hell are you talking about?

He also didn't say, imply or think it would be easy, but said just the opposite.

Bush had already said he was going to close Gitmo as soon as conditions permit. McCain said he would close Gitmo for the same reasons Obama stated, because it became a symbol and was hurting us abroad. Obama just pushed it forward a little bit and set a tentative date at a year, which he is not going to force or enforce. What the hell are you talking about?

He also didn't say, imply or think it would be easy, but said just the opposite.

You could make your self a pretty penny cruising around the country, holding town hall meetings, and explaining to people all the things Obama really meant when he said what everyone thought he said. You could promote yourself as Translator In Chief.

We could call you The Obamalator 3000. Obama speech goes in. Today's current translation comes out.

You could make your self a pretty penny cruising around the country, holding town hall meetings, and explaining to people all the things Obama really meant when he said what everyone thought he said. You could promote yourself as Translator In Chief.

We could call you The Obamalator 3000. Obama speech goes in. Today's current translation comes out.

You want to refute anything I said in the post you responded to? Or just show yourself being an idiot like the others. Show me anytime he said it would be easy to handle North Korea if we just talk nice to them. Or any of this would be easy. I know I'm asking way too much for people to listen or think. My bad.

When the launch the rockets, give them 3 minutes them blow them out of the sky. We have that capability.

You see what Obama did to that fly? Look out North Korea :doh:

Strange how quickly the doves of the last few years quickly turn to hawks

You want to refute anything I said in the post you responded to? Or just show yourself being an idiot like the others. Show me anytime he said it would be easy to handle North Korea if we just talk nice to them. Or any of this would be easy. I know I'm asking way too much for people to listen or think. My bad.

I was talking in generalities, because, y'know, every time someone challenges something Obama implies you break yout the Obamalator 3000 to show what everyone incorrectly inferred.

But...hey...we all disagree with you, which makes us all idiots, so that pretty much settles that for you. I can't help but wonder how that world of yours must spin in your head as you've managed to convince yourself that you're the only one who isn't an idiot.

I was talking in generalities, because, y'know, every time someone challenges something Obama implies you break yout the Obamalator 3000 to show what everyone incorrectly inferred.

But...hey...we all disagree with you, which makes us all idiots, so that pretty much settles that for you. I can't help but wonder how that world of yours must spin in your head as you've managed to convince yourself that you're the only one who isn't an idiot.

Obamalator 3000 :doh:

The majority of people in the country don't think he an idiot or naive. You're in the minority, and it's getting smaller all the time. And every time I ask you to come up with something specific to refute my point, you don't, you "talk in generalities" because you can't answer. I actually point out what he actually says and does all the time. You're the one that thinks he doesn't say any of the things he actually says.

By the way, how does someone imply "this will be easy" from "this isn't going to be easy"?

The majority of people in the country don't think he an idiot or naive. You're in the minority, and it's getting smaller all the time. And every time I ask you to come up with something specific to refute my point, you don't, you "talk in generalities" because you can't answer. I actually point out what he actually says and does all the time. You're the one that thinks he doesn't say any of the things he actually says.

By the way, how does someone imply "this will be easy" from "this isn't going to be easy"?

You know how impossibly hard it would be to get Obama to have a below 50% job approval? He will ALWAYS have a positive rating from 20% of the population.

However, his job approval numbers are going in the opposite direction. It's not getting smaller, in fact... the opposition is getting larger. The number of people who disapprove of the job he has been doing is up 50% since he took office, and it is only rising.

You know how impossibly hard it would be to get Obama to have a below 50% job approval? He will ALWAYS have a positive rating from 20% of the population.

I wouldn't be too sure:

WASHINGTON, June 17.—The popularity of President Barack Obama has dropped in the U.S. as a result of unemployment and the budget deficit, according to a survey published today by the NBC television channel and the Wall Street Journal daily.

According to the survey, the overall approval rating for Obama’s White House administration stands at just 56% of the U.S. population, a fall of five percentage points compared to a similar poll last month.

Likewise, the proportion of those who disapprove of his efforts so far has risen from 30% to 34%, according to the survey, which was based on the opinions of 1,008 adults and conducted between last Friday and Monday.

According to the survey , the greatest loss of support was registered among those who described themselves as "politically independent."

"President Obama’s honeymoon is coming to an end," affirmed Chuck Todd, the NBC correspondent to the White House, while presenting the results of the survey.

"The public appears to be judging the president for some of his actions. There is now a growing concern over the budget deficit, as well as other government measures with respect to the economy," he added. (EFE)

I read about at this morning, and I remember reading where a month ago, independent voters had given him an approval rating of 2 to 1 at close to 67% and with latest poll it was at 50%.

At the end of the day, words are just words and people will demand results, and the biggest thing that worries me are his disastrous economic policies. Even my friends in South America had mentioned to me today that he is "puro palabras" another words "all talk".