Looks like North Korea wants war

Yes we can, but there is a difference. NK has thousands of artillary pieces positioned and ready to rain destruction on northern South Korea. That's where the capital and much of the industry is. If it only takes two hours to defeat the North Koreans, that is too long - their forces are primed for an instant response, for just this reason.

I disagree about being able to pull a Desert Storm type invasion of North Korea.

Artillery pieces and nuclear capability aside, it's a different type of ground war due to the terrain. Iraq is sand, sand, and some more sand. North Korea is mountainous and they've been digging fortifications into the mountains for the last 60 years

An invasion of North Korea will make the last 5 years in Iraq seem like those 100 hours in 1991

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about being able to pull a Desert Storm type invasion of North Korea.

Artillery pieces and nuclear capability aside, it's a different type of ground war due to the terrain. Iraq is sand, sand, and some more sand. North Korea is mountainous and they've been digging fortifications into the mountains for the last 60 years

An invasion of North Korea will make the last 5 years in Iraq seem like those 100 hours in 1991

I'm giving the US forces the benifit of the doubt - my point is simply that even a complete route has an unacceptable price.

With a proper build-up of forces I think there would be no problem quickly immobilizing and suppressing the NK forces by air, cutting off all communications, and advancing step-by-step. The only difference is that quickly punching through the lines somewhere is improbable, owing more to extensive mining than anything else.

We would certainly win, but the damage to S. Korea would be devastating. Military planners feel that the North could make it about 1/2 way down the peninsula before we could get forces in place to beat them back. At least that's what I heard at a brief about 7-8 years ago. I imagine their capabilities are the same today.

We would certainly win, but the damage to S. Korea would be devastating. Military planners feel that the North could make it about 1/2 way down the peninsula before we could get forces in place to beat them back. At least that's what I heard at a brief about 7-8 years ago. I imagine their capabilities are the same today.

That's presumably if they launched an attack with limited warning. They wouldn't advance far at all if we and South Korea prepared for conflict.

Nevertheless they could still destroy the Souths economy in the first few hours of fighting whether we were prepared or not. And that's the only point that matters.