Can we win with our number two QB?

I just read an article on PFT, about how if we have to rely on our backup quarterback this year for any length of time, we're in trouble. I don't recall reading much on this site covering our QB's, and there's been a rosy kind of optimism surrounding most of articles covering practices - so, to have someone who's been to the practices and say that the backups are looking terrible, considering he's also saying our WR's look great, that is troubling. I've never been impressed with Hamden, and I know nothing of Fitz...I don't know why I haven't thought more about what our team would look like without Edwards, but that is a totally different view - the playoffs don't look too likely with someone like either of our backups as a starter. So, is there anyone left worth the investment, and capable? No Vick, please.

Guest dog14787

I billieve we can win with our number two QB, especially with all the weapons at his disposal. Plus Fitz is coming off a three game winning streak and maybe it wasn't against the toughest opponents in the NFL, but he's had the taste of what its like to play and win in the National Football league.

I like Fitz, and I think he's going to fit in very well here in Buffalo ;)

The article mentioned by the OP as being on PFT is actually John Murphy's WIVB blog which PFT linked:

http://blogs.wivb.com/2009/06/12/final-tho...bills-minicamp/

"The Bills need a backup quarterback. I saw nothing at all from Ryan Fitzpatrick during the practices, and I’m worried. Gibran Hamdan is a great teammates and a good resource for Trent Edwards, but I would hate to have to start him in a game if Edwards was hurt. And let’s face it, Edwards has missed at least four starts in his first two years in the league due to injury. If they’re serious about contending for a playoff spot, they need an experienced, capable backup quarterback by the time they go to camp."

G | GS | Comp | Att | Pct | Yds | Avg | TD | Int

14| 14 | 245 |374 |65.5| 2699 | 7.2 | 11 | 10 = Our starter's 2008 stats.

13| 12 |221 |372 |59.4| 1,905| 5.1 |8 | 9 = Our backup's 2008 stats against arguably more difficult defensive opponents.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but food for thought.

Number one you can't go by what was seen in OTA's as a guide to anything. More reasonable is to look at game films from last year of actual games. For issues like backup QB I'm glad the Bills mgt. doesn't consider Murphy's ideas. Ryan is about the best type of backup QB the Bills are likely to get. You don't want someone looking over Trent's shoulders to start, for one thing. Look what that did to Losman when he was the starter. A so called "proven" QB is likely to want to have a chance to start and we don't need that.

Guest dog14787
Until they prove they can with with the No. 1 QB, that's the least of my worries. One thing at a time.

doggonit, TE's wins so far must have been a figment of my imagination ;)

In my opinion its TE's teammates and coaching staff that needs to step it up, but just in case you haven't noticed TE has been injury prone. Our chances of making the playoffs very well could hinge on our number two QB coming in and winning a game or two and should be a major concern for the Buffalo Bills.

doggonit, TE's wins so far must have been a figment of my imagination ;)

In my opinion its TE's teammates and coaching staff that needs to step it up, but just in case you haven't noticed TE has been injury prone. Our chances of making the playoffs very well could hinge on our number two QB coming in and winning a game or two and should be a major concern for the Buffalo Bills.

My post was not a shot at TE ... I think they can win with him. I agree the rest of the parts have to get better. The point was, it remains to be seen that all the other pieces are in place. When all we have to worry about is whether TE can stay healthy and whom the backup is, I will be thrilled. The bigger questions are: Will the O-line be adequate? Will there be any sort of pass rush? Who will starts on SLB and will he help the run defense resemble the first half of last season as opposed to the second half? Who starts next to Whitner and will he really be freed up to make more plays? Will McKelvin be a playmaker like he was late last season without horrible growning pains? If all those questions are answered positively, THEN the No. 2 QB might make or break the season. Otherwise, 6-10 is the same as 8-8 to me.

Guest dog14787
My post was not a shot at TE ... I think they can win with him. I agree the rest of the parts have to get better. The point was, it remains to be seen that all the other pieces are in place. When all we have to worry about is whether TE can stay healthy and whom the backup is, I will be thrilled. The bigger questions are: Will the O-line be adequate? Will there be any sort of pass rush? Who will starts on SLB and will he help the run defense resemble the first half of last season as opposed to the second half? Who starts next to Whitner and will he really be freed up to make more plays? Will McKelvin be a playmaker like he was late last season without horrible growning pains? If all those questions are answered positively, THEN the No. 2 QB might make or break the season. Otherwise, 6-10 is the same as 8-8 to me.

I understand, just trying to give some support to the thread starter and the topic at hand.

The article mentioned by the OP as being on PFT is actually John Murphy's WIVB blog which PFT linked:

http://blogs.wivb.com/2009/06/12/final-tho...bills-minicamp/

"The Bills need a backup quarterback. I saw nothing at all from Ryan Fitzpatrick during the practices, and I’m worried. Gibran Hamdan is a great teammates and a good resource for Trent Edwards, but I would hate to have to start him in a game if Edwards was hurt. And let’s face it, Edwards has missed at least four starts in his first two years in the league due to injury. If they’re serious about contending for a playoff spot, they need an experienced, capable backup quarterback by the time they go to camp."

;);):beer::lol::lol:

PTR

The only quality QB I know still out there is a 3-time pro bowler that, at 29, will be looking to play for close to the league minumum. Partner this with fact that he has rushed for 1,000 yards and won playoffs games makes me totally adverse to the idea of the Bills even considering him.

;);):beer::lol::lol:

PTR

I didn't think Fitzpatrick was too bad for the Bengals last year...and I doubt a Harvard grad is going to have much trouble grasping our offense. I say give him a bit more time in the O till I get worried. However I'm not expecting him to be a world beater if he gets in there, just someone who can manage the game anyhow.

I just read an article on PFT, about how if we have to rely on our backup quarterback this year for any length of time, we're in trouble. I don't recall reading much on this site covering our QB's, and there's been a rosy kind of optimism surrounding most of articles covering practices - so, to have someone who's been to the practices and say that the backups are looking terrible, considering he's also saying our WR's look great, that is troubling. I've never been impressed with Hamden, and I know nothing of Fitz...I don't know why I haven't thought more about what our team would look like without Edwards, but that is a totally different view - the playoffs don't look too likely with someone like either of our backups as a starter. So, is there anyone left worth the investment, and capable? No Vick, please.

We need a better backup....too bad our FO seems to think Fitz can do the job. They're wrong.....so wrong

We need a better backup....too bad our FO seems to think Fitz can do the job. They're wrong.....so wrong

Name teams that can win with their backup QBs? I mean did anyone expect Matt Cassell to lead the Patriots to an 11-5 season last season? The truth is we won't know until we see things play out.

The only quality QB I know still out there is a 3-time pro bowler that, at 29, will be looking to play for close to the league minumum. Partner this with fact that he has rushed for 1,000 yards and won playoffs games makes me totally adverse to the idea of the Bills even considering him.

Vick would be a quality signing.

He would give them a great change of pace with the wildcat for whoever was running the traditional offense

Vick could make an offense go even if the OL was having troubles (as is likely to be the case)

From a corporate standpoint, it would take the focus away from Dick