5 years 50 Million-are you serious?

When I read this, I had to double check it to make sure I was reading what I thought I was. The NYJ have just made GQ cover boy and rookie QB Mark Sanchez the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER IN FRANCHISE HISTORY, without him ever playing a down!! I wonder how his Jet teammates feel about that, and especially Kellen Clemens. With the signing of that contract, you would think that Sanchez would be the starter. I mean can you pay a guy 5 yr 50 million with 28 MILLION being guaranteed and have him sit the bench? I doubt it.

MY OPINION-I know he was the 5th pick and a qb but 50 Million and $28 Million guaranteed to a guy who your not sure can beat out your back up QB (Clemens) so I think It was extremely stupid, and a very high price. I Know that Stafford signed a 6yr/72 million dollar deal, which is still high but makes more sense to me than the Sanchez deal. And on another note, I think that a ROOKIE CAP has to happen soon. Some of these contracts to "unproven players" are just getting out of hand.

What do you guys think?

1. Is Sanchez gonna be good?

2. What do you think of him being highest paid player in NYJ Franchise History?

3. Should Sanchez even start over Clemens?

4. How will NYJ do this year? Can they possible have a better record then the BILLs or no? (God, i hope not lol)

Let me know your opinion-

4. How will NYJ do this year? Can they possible have a better record then the BILLs or no? (God, i hope not lol)

1. Good? yes. Great? Just no way to tell, but I doubt it.

2. Absurd, but that's the system. Hopefully they will fix the rookie scale with the next CBA.

3. Yes; Clemens has not shown anything. He was medicore two years ago when CP was hurt/benched.

4. Yes, they will have a better record than the Bills. They have more talent and fewer question marks.

When I read this, I had to double check it to make sure I was reading what I thought I was. The NYJ have just made GQ cover boy and rookie QB Mark Sanchez the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER IN FRANCHISE HISTORY, without him ever playing a down!! I wonder how his Jet teammates feel about that, and especially Kellen Clemens. With the signing of that contract, you would think that Sanchez would be the starter. I mean can you pay a guy 5 yr 50 million with 28 MILLION being guaranteed and have him sit the bench? I doubt it.

MY OPINION-I know he was the 5th pick and a qb but 50 Million and $28 Million guaranteed to a guy who your not sure can beat out your back up QB (Clemens) so I think It was extremely stupid, and a very high price. I Know that Stafford signed a 6yr/72 million dollar deal, which is still high but makes more sense to me than the Sanchez deal. And on another note, I think that a ROOKIE CAP has to happen soon. Some of these contracts to "unproven players" are just getting out of hand.

What do you guys think?

I think Snachez is going to be very average. That said, he made a very good move to come out this year. In any other year, he would have been a borderline 1st round pick if there was more QBs in the draft. Bradford and McCoy would have been taken ahead of him. He has had one good year in college and couldn;t beat out booty for the starting job head to head. The USC system is sets up their QBs to be amazing in college. Also, playing in NY in Decemeber wil lbe a little different than LA.

The Jets also gave up on Clemens way too early. That Jets team he played on was terrible. But the fact is that the Jets drafted Sanchez for marketing reasons. Fans aren't going to get pumped for a new stadium with Clemens under center. They will for Sanchez. Ideally, it should be a head to head competition in camp but the Jets will hand the job to MS.

I hope they enjoy 3rd place.

2. Absurd, but that's the system. Hopefully they will fix the rookie scale with the next CBA.

3. Yes; Clemens has not shown anything. He was medicore two years ago when CP was hurt/benched.

4. Yes, they will have a better record than the Bills. They have more talent and fewer question marks.

Don't you think QB and WR are two gigantic question marks? Chances are that Sanchez (if he starts) will be terrible his first year, and they only have one average WR (good #2). Not to mention they are relying on Vernon Gholston to have any pass rush at all. I would say that the Jets have a good chance to be terrible on offense, while the Bills worst case scenario is average.

We handed them 2 games last year. For as much grief as Farve got, he still was a major reason that the Jets turnerd around from 4-12 to 9-7. Their defense was ranked lower than ours and Farve to Sanchez is a huge dropoff. The Bills are better than them.

I think Snachez is going to be very average. That said, he made a very good move to come out this year. In any other year, he would have been a borderline 1st round pick if there was more QBs in the draft. Bradford and McCoy would have been taken ahead of him. He has had one good year in college and couldn;t beat out booty for the starting job head to head. The USC system is sets up their QBs to be amazing in college. Also, playing in NY in Decemeber wil lbe a little different than LA.

The Jets also gave up on Clemens way too early. That Jets team he played on was terrible. But the fact is that the Jets drafted Sanchez for marketing reasons. Fans aren't going to get pumped for a new stadium with Clemens under center. They will for Sanchez. Ideally, it should be a head to head competition in camp but the Jets will hand the job to MS.

Does the OP really not understand how a top 5 1st round pick QB is going to get a huge contract? That's the cost of drafting that position that high. Look at what Matt Ryan got last year--almost seven million more guaranteed--coming out of BC with a lot of question marks. How about the Fins? They paid Jake long more than Sanchez and he's never gonna touch the ball!

Besides the article says it's the richest contract ever given by the Jets to a rookie.

Who knows how Sanchez will turn out? But it's clear that the Jets had seen enough of Clemens to know that he's a stand in until they find a franchise QB.

If Sanchez is a "borderline" QB, then how could he attract fans to the new stadium? Who would pay all that money to see that? Makes no sense.

1. Not this year. It's going to be ugly, mark my words.
  2. I think there needs to be a rookie cap, NOW. I don't think ANY rookie should make more money than a vet at his position. That is, after all, how the real world works.
  3. Would you prefer a turd salad or a tall glass of diarrhea?
  4. No. They will finish fourth in the division, and we will beat them twice, as will New England, and they'll drop at least one to Miami.

We handed them 2 games last year. For as much grief as Farve got, he still was a major reason that the Jets turnerd around from 4-12 to 9-7. Their defense was ranked lower than ours and Farve to Sanchez is a huge dropoff. The Bills are better than them.

Thank you.

It's so easy to say, "they're more talented than us." Demonstrating that point, on the other hand, more or less impossible.

What do you guys think?

Trading up for a franchise QB at 5 ... that's what you have to pay ...

Who knows how he is going to turn out ... even at #1/#2, QBs are a risky pick (ie; P. Manning vs. R. Leaf)

1. Not this year. It's going to be ugly, mark my words.
  2. I think there needs to be a rookie cap, NOW. I don't think ANY rookie should make more money than a vet at his position. That is, after all, how the real world works.
  3. Would you prefer a turd salad or a tall glass of diarrhea?
  4. No. They will finish fourth in the division, and we will beat them twice, as will New England, and they'll drop at least one to Miami.

Thank you.

It's so easy to say, "they're more talented than us." Demonstrating that point, on the other hand, more or less impossible.

Favre played poorly against the Bills and we still lost both games last year. In fact he lost 4 of his last 5 starts and during that stretch, he threw for 2 TDs, 9 ints and was sacked 9 times.

"Demonstrating that point (that, right now, Favre to Snachez is a huge dropoff), on the other hand, more or less impossible."

The kid has a solid, veteran OL and a good running game. He just has to stay out of the way and not find ways to lose games his first year. He's in a pretty good position going in. Look no further than Ryan and Flacco as rookies and how greatly they benefited from good OLs and great running games. Contrast that to Stafford's situation in Detroit. If Sanchez craps the bed in NY it won't be because he doesn't enjoy a good supporting cast going in.

GO BILLS!!!

Favre played poorly against the Bills and we still lost both games last year. In fact he lost 4 of his last 5 starts and during that stretch, he threw for 2 TDs, 9 ints and was sacked 9 times.

"Demonstrating that point (that, right now, Favre to Snachez is a huge dropoff), on the other hand, more or less impossible."

Losman out-worsed Farve in the 2nd game. Edward out-worsed Farve in the 1st game.

I'm willing to beat $100 that Sanchez will have a worse season than Favre. Do you honestly see Sanchez carrying the Jets to victories on the road against the Titans and Pats?

Jets third, Miami Second and the Pats first.

I just don't feel think that a revamped Oline with two rookies starting, three undersized TE's not known for blocking, a starting RB suspended for the first three games will do the trick. Brining in one good receiver and a halfway decent center and all our holes are covered?

I'd like to join the bills optimist society but I am not sure I'd be allowed in.

I just don't feel think that a revamped Oline with two rookies starting, three undersized TE's not known for blocking, a starting RB suspended for the first three games will do the trick. Brining in one good receiver and a halfway decent center and all our holes are covered?

I'd like to join the bills optimist society but I am not sure I'd be allowed in.

Nonsense. Of course you're allowed in.

Gettin' out is a B word, though.

GO BILLS!!!

What do you guys think?

1. Bust written all over him.

2. Cool, let him bust their cap for a few years.

3. Training camp battle but if the Jests are smart they'll sit Sanchez for a year.

4. If they have a better record than Buffalo at the end of the year the Bills will have a new HC in 2010.

Are you saying Leinart hasn't been a good pro!? Oh wait,.... Never mind.

The kid has a solid, veteran OL and a good running game. He just has to stay out of the way and not find ways to lose games his first year. He's in a pretty good position going in. Look no further than Ryan and Flacco as rookies and how greatly they benefited from good OLs and great running games. Contrast that to Stafford's situation in Detroit. If Sanchez craps the bed in NY it won't be because he doesn't enjoy a good supporting cast going in.

GO BILLS!!!

Who's gonna catch his passes? :doh:

Is Sanchez the best player ever on the Jets? He could develop into a starting QB thats worth the money but not till the last years of the deal if ever. So basically they are paying on a possibility it wouldn't be a terrible deal if he got 5 million his first two years, than 7 million in the third year, than he got 10 million in the last two years (with only the first three years being guaranteed)

There really needs to be a slotting system for the Draft. No way is it right that a rookie can step in and be the highest player in a franchise's history.

Favre played poorly against the Bills and we still lost both games last year.

Second game was ours to lose. And JP Losman single handedly lost it, in every sense of the words.

In fact he lost 4 of his last 5 starts and during that stretch, he threw for 2 TDs, 9 ints and was sacked 9 times.

Who cares?

It is a huge drop off. Are you insane? You know, there are other ways of defining QB's besides stats. Which, by the way here were Favre's stats against the Bills last year:

Game 1: 19/28 201 0 1 (73.7) vs Edwards: 24/25 289 1 2 (79.3)

Game 2: 17/30 207 1 2 (61.4) vs Losman: 24/39 148 1 3 (45.7)

But I digress: do you honestly think that a rookie quarterback, who got significant playing time in 16 GAMES THROUGHOUT HIS COLLEGE CAREER will have even remotely the same control of the game as a future HOF'er?

No, he won't. The drop off will be huge.

And good luck comparing him to Matty Ryan, unless you can name the New York Jet most likely to be the NFL rushing champ.

EDIT: and for comparison purposes, Brett Favre has STARTED 269 PROFESSIONAL games in his career.

Its all good as far as the Bills are concerned. The only way the Bills can compete with wealthier franchises is if the rich teams make mistakes. There is no bigger risk of a mistake than in drafting a QB very high and then investing all the money and hopes in the young kid. I don't see this kid becoming a great cold weather QB and the Jets have other question marks which puts even more pressure on the rookie QB. Even if he ends up as a good QB it will take time and the Bills definitely have a chance to take two from the Jets this year. I'm not saying the Bills don't have ? marks as well, but just saying we have a chance to take 2.

Its all good as far as the Bills are concerned. The only way the Bills can compete with wealthier franchises is if the rich teams make mistakes. There is no bigger risk of a mistake than in drafting a QB very high and then investing all the money and hopes in the young kid. I don't see this kid becoming a great cold weather QB and the Jets have other question marks which puts even more pressure on the rookie QB. Even if he ends up as a good QB it will take time and the Bills definitely have a chance to take two from the Jets this year. I'm not saying the Bills don't have ? marks as well, but just saying we have a chance to take 2.

Don't forget all the potential draft picks they invested in him too. They really gave up the farm for this guy, the whole thing has 5-year setback written all over it.

Don't you think QB and WR are two gigantic question marks? Chances are that Sanchez (if he starts) will be terrible his first year, and they only have one average WR (good #2). Not to mention they are relying on Vernon Gholston to have any pass rush at all. I would say that the Jets have a good chance to be terrible on offense, while the Bills worst case scenario is average.

Yes I do think those are two big question marks for the Jets (although unlike everyone on this board, I happen to think that Jerricho Cotchery is a quality WR; compare his stats to Evans and be surprised). But compare that to the huge question marks for the Bills on BOTH O and D lines (and QB) and I think it's no comparison.

Right. We handed them two games because our players aren't good enough to close out games they should win. And there were no Brett Favre miracles, he was very mediocre last year.

The Jets D has been upgraded during the off season, the Bills (other than an undersized rookie draft pick), has not. In fact, the Bills lost maybe their best cover corner.

I just think people are overrating the Dolphins and underrating the Jets.

What do you guys think?

Well, if he gets the starts, he'll play at least two games against a club with cornerbacks playing 10 yards off the LOS and safties back there protecting the North 40.

That should up the completions and aid in moving the sticks. Against that, they will miss Coles, and they have a RB who is currently wetting his diapers and slamming his rattle on his high chair.

Despite how ridiculous the rookie system is, you can see how it works. Sanchez signs this contract and say next year Tom Bray's contract is up...instantly he is guaranteed to make more $ than Sanchez. In fact, Brady might be a bad example bc he might make more than Sanchez already (i didnt look it up)...so lets say Trent Edwards has a good season and his contract comes up. Say the Bills go 11-5 and win a wild card. Sayt Edwards makes the pro bowl as #3/ alternate behind Manning and Brady. You think with his contract up he's gonna make LESS than $10mm/yr. Not gonna happen. I agree its a stupid system, but you can see why the players association likes it. It drives up current players value without them having to do anything...Edwards would not have to outperform Manning or Brady to justify their money, he would have to outperform Sanchez and Alex Smith....a path of less resistance to more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think we have a new nickname for him, better than Franchez for sure. Snatchez (with or without the "t").

What do you guys think?

1. No.

2. It's par for the course with high draft picks--especially QBs.

3. No, not this season.

4. At the end of the season, I expect the division to look like this: 1) Patriots*, 2) Dolphins, 3) Jets, 4) Bills.

Why is this the Jets fault? You need to pay the guy according to this draft slot and position or he doesn't sign. Blame the system, not the Jets.

The Jets did not pick 5th my man, they traded up to get him. So yes, it is the jets fault sort of. They knew what top five picks get in 1st contracts. Now if the Jets stayed put and draft in their regular spot, I would have no argument, but they did have a choice, and they chose to trade up-right or wrong?

But i agree, the system must change now

Nope, your not allowed. However, I have a real hard time buying that the NYJ will be better than us. For that matter, I have serious doubts about the ONE YEAR WONDER Miami Dolphins being better this year.

Using that same theory, the NYJ have no real qb threat (Sanchez is not Flacco or Ryan), and even if Sanchez does ok-who will he throw to? The #1 wr would be a 2 on most teams and then they have no legit #2. They do however have a good TE and O-line, but BOTH there RB are disgruntled and are talking about showing up late to camp if at all

...What do you guys think?

1. Yes, most likely very good by his third season. Rookie year this season? Who knows. Ryan & Flacco did great last season, maybe Sanchez will duplicate their success, maybe not.

2. I think the Jets were smart to draft the kid. Unfortunately, they were forced to over-pay under the current idiotic system of rookie pay scales.

3. Yes, of course he should start from day one.

4. The Jets should be worse then the Bills this year, unless Ryans' defense is fantastic and Sanchez has a fantastic rookie season. Or, unless the Bills fall apart and crash for the 4th consecutive season under the "calm leadership" of DJ. No chance of that happening again, is there? :rolleyes:

I just think people are overrating the Dolphins and underrating the Jets.

We went 4-0 against the Jets and Dolphins in 2007, 0-4 against them in 2008. IMO there will be a regression to the mean for both of those teams. I feel confident saying we will go 2-2 against them this year.

Against that, they will miss Coles, and they have a RB who is currently wetting his diapers and slamming his rattle on his high chair.

Actually they have two running backs throwing hissy fits. Both Thomas Jones and Leon Washington are unhappy with their contracts and are dropping hints that they may escalate their unhappiness.

Rookie year this season? Who knows. Ryan & Flacco did great last season, maybe Sanchez will duplicate their success, maybe not.

Both Ryan and Flacco were 5th year seniors who started the final two seasons of their college careers. Sanchez started 16 games in college, it was one of the biggest concerns that teams had with him. The Jets have a decent O-line but I have a hard time seeing their offense being anything more than average this year, and probably a bit below average.

Why is this the Jets fault? You need to pay the guy according to this draft slot and position or he doesn't sign. Blame the system, not the Jets.

how does it work if a team and draft pick can't come to terms? can the team just say enjoy watching from your couch or can the rookie persue other offers after a certain amount of time?

A rookie salary cap is a must in the NFL. With that being said can you blame the kid, good for him. I hope he earns all 50M fish and walks away from the game with a career loosing record and has a happy and productive life. I doubt there is any person on this board who would not sign that contract given the chance. I think the Jets will finish last in the east this year. Lack of skill players will be there downfall. Is anyone afraid of there skill players?