Interesting comment on the O line

Heitz

Hmmmmm...one has to wonder what they might have given up to move and acquire the tackle the wanted.

I also wonder why they didn't push much harder for Philly's 21st pick.

Oh wait I forgot, that sixth rounder in 2010 was a fukking huge acquisition.

Oher looks like a very fine RT, but not an LT. And the Bills are overstocked at RT.

Exactly. And if the guy they were targeting was Andre Smith, I'm glad the Bungles took him first and didn't make him an option for the Bills. The kid just has "bust" written all over him.

Exactly. And if the guy they were targeting was Andre Smith, I'm glad the Bungles took him first and didn't make him an option for the Bills. The kid just has "bust" written all over him.

Maybe not bust, but immaturity certainly. IMHO he's a younger and more immature JP. The Bills FO would have simply traded one contract impasse for another had they drafted AS.

Yeah, I've been saying that since the draft. Still, it's interesting to hear confirmation. I think they were hoping they could get Andre because of his weird behavior, hoping it might drop him to #11.

this is what I heard.

It'll be interesting to see whether Butler can make the change from RG to RT.

Recall that Buffalo didn't really change their draft board upon dealing Peters. That to me is laziness, and an indication they assumed that players could convert when there is no concrete evidence they can. They just had too many holes to fill and not enough picks to do it in. For a team in year four of rebuild mode, that's unacceptable.

It's a stretch to say Butler is a slam dunk to make the transition, Chambers can play RT all year, or that Bell is ready. This is a big gamble.

Um Link?

Actually this is Butler's natural position---he made the change to RG...

It may have been his natural position in college. It isn't anymore. Let's hope it can become his natural position again, but it's not a slam dunk.

this is what I heard.

Andre Smith is the only guy who makes sense. Jason Smith was going to be a top-3 guy. Andre Smith had concerns so dropping might have been possible. But again I'm glad the Bungles took him and made the decision for the Bills. I see Mike Williams in the kid and drafting the kid with a higher pick than they got for Peters, while paying him close, would have been spinning their wheels.

As for Butler being moved to RG as being proof of anything, Jonathan Ogden played OG his first few years in the league. And he was the 4th overall pick in 1996.

I wish they had brought Levi Jones in for a look early on (I know he is just a name but he is the best on the market). I know they want to build chemistry on the O-line; if he was brought in and looked the part the O-line could have got a jump-start on that chemistry. I know this is just on PAPER but an O-line of Jones-LG-Hagnarter-Butler-Walker looks much better to me as while Jones isn't on Peters level, this O-line maybe an upgrade as the middle of the line should be better with an upgrade at center and a better fit at LG for the scheme. Even if the O-line played at the same level as last year, overall I think the offense would be better with the addition of TO and maturity of Trent. Pass protection for the most part was not a big problem as our QBs had plenty of time to throw the ball, as I don't know how many times I can count on my hand I watched Trent pat the ball in the pocket waiting for someone to get open of JP just run around looking confused! While the running game lacked push up the middle, a lot of our lack of running came to lack of threat outside Lee and PREDICTABLE play calling that allowed defense to stack the box. Even with that, Marshawn still ran for over 1000 and averaged 4ypc.

What I HOPE doesn't happen is that this reshuffling doesn't become a total jailbreak and bring back memories of the pre-Peters days when RJ, Drew, and JP would get blasted as soon as the ball was hiked! And I pray to god the front office doesn't become determined to try making it with the guys they have REGARDLESS of the results observed in practice and preseason. Then it will be too late to add another player or reshuffle the O-line and another season is thrown down the drain having Bills fans looking to next year as always. While Walker is a good RT, I don't feel comfortable with Walker playing LT for a whole season. They definitely will not put him on an island like they did with Peters. While I think Butler can make the transition he won't be much of an upgrade from Walker play at RT. Think about it: what if Walker and Butler can't hang at their new positions, you can't just threw them on the bench for they would be equal or better than the players at their old positions. This would make coaches reluctant to make changes for fear of ruining "chemistry" but at the same time Trent would be getting blasted while the coaches HOPE that, the line would gel and "chemistry" can be established. Then next year this time we'd be trying to hype up another LT prospect while Butler and Walker will be whipping boys and probably shifted back to positions in which they excelled! At least hopefully they'd do it with another coaching staff for as Jimbo said this is the playoffs or die for this staff.

I wish they had brought Levi Jones in for a look early on (I know he is just a name but he is the best on the market).

Levi Jones is still on crutches. And his play declined markedly over the past few years.

I wish they had brought Levi Jones in for a look early on (I know he is just a name but he is the best on the market). I know they want to build chemistry on the O-line; if he was brought in and looked the part the O-line could have got a jump-start on that chemistry. I know this is just on PAPER but an O-line of Jones-LG-Hagnarter-Butler-Walker looks much better to me as while Jones isn't on Peters level, this O-line maybe an upgrade as the middle of the line should be better with an upgrade at center and a better fit at LG for the scheme. Even if the O-line played at the same level as last year, overall I think the offense would be better with the addition of TO and maturity of Trent. Pass protection for the most part was not a big problem as our QBs had plenty of time to throw the ball, as I don't know how many times I can count on my hand I watched Trent pat the ball in the pocket waiting for someone to get open of JP just run around looking confused! While the running game lacked push up the middle, a lot of our lack of running came to lack of threat outside Lee and PREDICTABLE play calling that allowed defense to stack the box. Even with that, Marshawn still ran for over 1000 and averaged 4ypc.

What I HOPE doesn't happen is that this reshuffling doesn't become a total jailbreak and bring back memories of the pre-Peters days when RJ, Drew, and JP would get blasted as soon as the ball was hiked! And I pray to god the front office doesn't become determined to try making it with the guys they have REGARDLESS of the results observed in practice and preseason. Then it will be too late to add another player or reshuffle the O-line and another season is thrown down the drain having Bills fans looking to next year as always. While Walker is a good RT, I don't feel comfortable with Walker playing LT for a whole season. They definitely will not put him on an island like they did with Peters. While I think Butler can make the transition he won't be much of an upgrade from Walker play at RT. Think about it: what if Walker and Butler can't hang at their new positions, you can't just threw them on the bench for they would be equal or better than the players at their old positions. This would make coaches reluctant to make changes for fear of ruining "chemistry" but at the same time Trent would be getting blasted while the coaches HOPE that, the line would gel and "chemistry" can be established. Then next year this time we'd be trying to hype up another LT prospect while Butler and Walker will be whipping boys and probably shifted back to positions in which they excelled! At least hopefully they'd do it with another coaching staff for as Jimbo said this is the playoffs or die for this staff.

no need to worry about Walker being a whipping boy next year

He and his bloated contract (and waistline) will be gone after he tanks at LT in 2008.

Levi Jones is still on crutches. And his play declined markedly over the past few years.

He's got more speed and quickness on crutches than Walker does when healthy.

Maybe Walker will find some self-respect and lose about 60 lbs