Hello, Dick, why did we draft Maybin #1?

It's mind boggling that the Bills defense would rotate out their Pro Bowl pass rusher during obvious passing situations. The real question is how will Bob Sanders maximize Schobel and Maybin on the field.

Maybin is a pretty young football player, without a lot of experience. Who's to say what he really is at this point?

ROFL. Thanks for bringing my brain to a screeching halt.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised in Maybin didn't see the field a lot this year. He's got to get a little bigger, and then, it'd most likely be on passing downs. The F.O. said, in picking him, one of the things that separated him from the other few top DE's fit for a 4-3 was that he could line up on EITHER side without it affected his play. Add his first step which can't be taught, his age, and I think they wanted to be able to bulk him up some and teach him into a role. My guess is taking Kelsay's place on passing downs, filling in for injury, and maybe OLB on obvious blitz plays.

As for Drafting - and why Jauron did it now - I still believe this draft marks the first one in a long time without heavy Wilson interference, and Wilson family. I think we're seeing a pure football draft for the first time in maybe ten years. And Buddy Nix.

Hello, Dick, why did we draft Maybin #1?
Job security for him and Fewell. After investing the #11 pick in a Tampa-2 DE, it makes it a lot harder to justify dumping this loser scheme next year. :worthy:

How do people still ask this question... :worthy: Really, we are much better without the happy footed indecisive QB that no one even wants right now.

I think what /dev/null was saying was in response to the first post of the thread, since the poster suggests Maybin is more of a RDE (same as Schobel), and we already had a QB when we drafted Edwards, but it worked out in the long run since he is now our starting QB and Losman is gone. So I think /dev/null wasn't actually questioning the drafting of Edwards when we had JP, but he was making the point that drafting Maybin (who in your opinion is better suited as a RDE) may still have been a good move, just like it worked out drafting Edwards when we already had a QB.

Jauron signed a 3 year extension, the way he drafted this season it looks like he intends to be here for those 3 years. Its just a darn shame he didn't draft like this his first year with the Bills.

Maybin will be a situational pass rusher this year, if he starts the Bills will set a record for rushing yards allowed. If he is able to develop properly he should start to get really good by his 3rd year, same with the two rookie O linemen. I simply don't see a miracle happening with the way that line was retooled so quickly.

I keep reading on these boards that Maybin was the best pass rusher in the draft, he wasn't. It was Brian Orakpo , who was drafted by the Redskins after the Bills took Maybin.

:worthy:

I think what /dev/null was saying was in response to the first post of the thread, since the poster suggests Maybin is more of a RDE (same as Schobel), and we already had a QB when we drafted Edwards, but it worked out in the long run since he is now our starting QB and Losman is gone. So I think /dev/null wasn't actually questioning the drafting of Edwards when we had JP, but he was making the point that drafting Maybin (who in your opinion is better suited as a RDE) may still have been a good move, just like it worked out drafting Edwards when we already had a QB.

You should post more often :angry:

How do people still ask this question... :lol: Really, we are much better without the happy footed indecisive QB that no one even wants right now.

You shouldn't :worthy:

Aaron Maybin at #11, a first round pick, but he is a tall, skinny pass rusher. He is not gonna be a LDE inthe NFL. He's either gonna be a bust or a good RDE.

Right now, we got Schobel at RDE, so if he is healthy, do you sit Maybin or try something creative until Schobel is ready to step down? My suggestion for Dicky is to try Maybin in Ellison's spot. How could he be worse?

On that side then, lined up to either blitz or cover. you have Aaron Schobel, Aaron Maybin and Leodis McKelvin. How does an opponent block them?

On the other hand, if the other team runs the ball to the left, who makes the tackle? Well, Ellison wouldn't anyway.

Sol, the question arises, where does Maybin fit? It sure ain't LDE. So where? I'm sayin, Ellison's spot.

Maybin never had to drop into coverage for starters. Secondly, there is a world of difference between playing SAM LB and LDE. Thirdly, there is no need to go any farther than secondly.

GO BILLS!!!

Aaron Maybin at #11, a first round pick, but he is a tall, skinny pass rusher. He is not gonna be a LDE inthe NFL. He's either gonna be a bust or a good RDE.

Anyone heard of Jevon Kearse? Check out his size when he entered the league.

6'4" 255lbs

A quote from his bio - "Jevon lost 25 pounds during his first NFL campaign, going from 255 to 230 by the time the Titans met the Rams in the Super Bowl."

Sounds like a RDE to me, but he was a rookie sack record breaking LDE.

Lets let Maybin play and then we can either smile or start casting stones!!!

No way Maybin is a 3 down player at R or L DE, but who cares since we run a rotation on the DL where the general standard is going to see even the best DL players play 2 of what is to be hoped is a 3 and out.

Maybin is small in size on paper clearly but unless you are John Madden the game is not played on paper and Maybin has freakish speed which makes him a difficult match-up for an offense. Playing against the TE generally in college he actually had a rep for being pretty good at the point of attack when folks tried to run right at him. He does not yet show extensive pass coverage ability which is a necessity for the way the Bills traditionally play the RDE with Schobel making the Pro Bowl showing the ability to cover not only in the short zone but in the mid zone.

Maybin also brings freakishly long arms to the game so if he can learn to pass cover with his hands up he will do well in the short zone. The Bills simply lacked a go-to pass rusher last year and that is Maybin's job if he can fill it. Statistically he should do it but again the game is not played on paper so show us. Without the stress of starting it looks good.

John Madden plays football on paper?

At some point, but the drawing on paper becomes one on video at some point. The key point is that there is a real world difference between static assessment of statistics and what happens on the field.

The questioning of Maybin is all fan's right but based on what he has shown on the field they may just be exercising their right to be wrong.

who's our pro bowl LDE? Schobel is our RDE - damn learn to read- here I'm typing slowly, Maybin will back up Schobel and on Obvious passing downs replace Kelsay- maybe you're not faking a roughing because you post like you are concussed

My bad, I messed up RDE and LDE. I hate when that happens!

It's mind boggling that the Bills defense would rotate out their Pro Bowl pass rusher during obvious passing situations. The real question is how will Bob Sanders maximize Schobel and Maybin on the field.

Maybin is a pretty young football player, without a lot of experience. Who's to say what he really is at this point?

i expect Schoebel to get hurt or tired during the games and Maybin may rotate from the roight to the left side as well. he is a good athlete and can pressure from either side in passing situations. An upgrade over kelsey, I am sure from the left side during passing downs.

Right now, we got Schobel at RDE, so if he is healthy, do you sit Maybin or try something creative until Schobel is ready to step down? My suggestion for Dicky is to try Maybin in Ellison's spot. How could he be worse?

On that side then, lined up to either blitz or cover. you have Aaron Schobel, Aaron Maybin and Leodis McKelvin. How does an opponent block them?

On the other hand, if the other team runs the ball to the left, who makes the tackle? Well, Ellison wouldn't anyway.

Sol, the question arises, where does Maybin fit? It sure ain't LDE. So where? I'm sayin, Ellison's spot.

they could play him as a SS in the box - he is the right size

How do people still ask this question... :lol: Really, we are much better without the happy footed indecisive QB that no one even wants right now.

I love the humorous posts that sometimes are tossed into this thread. And it's even funnier when someone takes the statement seriously and responds accordingly.

But what if I'm wrong, and it is not sarcasm or irony? What if all the remarks are serious and I just think it is kidding? Wait a minute... it's okay for Bills fans to be delusional. Whew! That was close.

The Bills defense was much more effective a few years ago when Hargrove was healthy and not suspended. The 3rd DE needs to be an every down player, and having a 4th DE who is a situational pass rusher makes a HUGE difference.

That's the role they (coaching staff) expects Maybin to fill this season. They might line him up at LDE, or they might line him up next to Schobel, to make double-teams more difficult.

After he's had an entire offseason to put some bulk on his frame, maybe Maybin will be ready to compete for the LDE starting job next training camp.

The Bills defense was much more effective a few years ago when Hargrove was healthy and not suspended. The 3rd DE needs to be an every down player, and having a 4th DE who is a situational pass rusher makes a HUGE difference.

That's the role they (coaching staff) expects Maybin to fill this season. They might line him up at LDE, or they might line him up next to Schobel, to make double-teams more difficult.

After he's had an entire offseason to put some bulk on his frame, maybe Maybin will be ready to compete for the LDE starting job next training camp.

Well played sir, well played.

Again, just for the record, Hargrove had 2.5 sacks in 22 games as a Bill. He was a brutal pass rusher and almost non-existent, except for when he would wave his arms around like an idiot before the play.

If Maybin performs like Hargrove, they should cut him and flog the staff that drafted him.

Again, just for the record, Hargrove had 2.5 sacks in 22 games as a Bill. He was a brutal pass rusher and almost non-existent, except for when he would wave his arms around like an idiot before the play.

If Maybin performs like Hargrove, they should cut him and flog the staff that drafted him.

Hargrove had 7 QB hurries in 2007. While not as sexy as sacks, they're still important.

i expect Schoebel to get hurt or tired during the games and Maybin may rotate from the roight to the left side as well. he is a good athlete and can pressure from either side in passing situations. An upgrade over kelsey, I am sure from the left side during passing downs.

whats a roight,please tell me :lol: