I actually see the Bills this season as similiar to the 1999 Rams

Their defensive line knew that a pass was coming a majority of the time and didn't really have to defend the run. If you check the Rams typical games, they were up by 21 points at 1:40 PM. If the Bills know a pass is coming all the time, can the opponents find that many WR's open that fast?? I think we have some major secondary talent, enough to stop most teams best efforts at passing consistently.

I remember that year fondly. I parlayed the Rams & their over 12 weeks in a row & won on 11 of them. The only time I did not win on them was I think in week 5 when they lost to tenn I think it was something like 24-21. Vegas had no clue how to handicapp the Rams that year. It was easy money.& you are right, alot of the games they were up by 2-3 scores before the 1st quarter was even over.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the talent onboard now, can it be utilized to the fullest is the big question.

SKOOBY, I am with you. From a talent perspective, we should be firing on all cylinders. It appears at OTA's, they have been using Jackson at WR as well as RB. If Turk can find a way to spread the offense and get the top 5 Offensive Threats on the field at one time consistently (Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Owens and Nelson) while working in Parrish, Reed and Rhodes, this offense could be absolutely explosive. The onus is on Turk. Trent will deliver.

As for your comparison of Trent to Warner, I actually think Trent will ultimately be a better QB than Warner. Warner really only had 4 quality seasons over his career and was 28 when he hit his stride. Trent is entering his 3rd season at 26, which is typically the breakout season for young quarterbacks. Has a quick release, pocket presence, leadership skills and passing accuracy. If he can push the deep ball (he has the ability, just hasn't used it), we could definitely see some fireworks this season.

SKOOBY, I am with you. From a talent perspective, we should be firing on all cylinders. It appears at OTA's, they have been using Jackson at WR as well as RB. If Turk can find a way to spread the offense and get the top 5 Offensive Threats on the field at one time consistently (Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Owens and Nelson) while working in Parrish, Reed and Rhodes, this offense could be absolutely explosive. The onus is on Turk. Trent will deliver.

As for your comparison of Trent to Warner, I actually think Trent will ultimately be a better QB than Warner. Warner really only had 4 quality seasons over his career and was 28 when he hit his stride. Trent is entering his 3rd season at 26, which is typically the breakout season for young quarterbacks. Has a quick release, pocket presence, leadership skills and passing accuracy. If he can push the deep ball (he has the ability, just hasn't used it), we could definitely see some fireworks this season.

Warner won a super bowl and played in 2 others. He is a great leader with a great arm. If not for the thumb uinjury that scost him like 3-4 years, he may have won another with the rams.

It is a little premature to call TE better, no?

Warner won a super bowl and played in 2 others. He is a great leader with a great arm. If not for the thumb uinjury that scost him like 3-4 years, he may have won another with the rams.

As it is just dumb to dismiss that Edwards will ever be a good NFL QB, considering Warner at 25 was 3 years away from taking a NFL snap.

I am not saying he is currently better, but when all is said and done and you look back at Trent's career 10 years from now he will have been better. You have to remember, Kurt spent his first 4-5 seasons floating around indoor football and NFL Europe. If I was a betting man (which I am), I would bet that Trent is going to have his first pro-bowl season this year.

SKOOBY, has Turk been talking this big about the offense to you? Give us the scoop!

I was told balls to the wall on nearly every down, no huddle agressive attacks. Turk had a year to get wet, this year we get wild. Owens + Evans on the field at the same time on nearly every down makes one of them uncoverable, FS will have to cheat and that leave the other open. If the defense dedicates itself to the pass, we have 3 capable runners fresh.

Get your popcorn ready.

Guest dog14787
I was told balls to the wall on nearly every down, no huddle agressive attacks. Turk had a year to get wet, this year we get wild. Owens + Evans on the field at the same time on nearly every down makes one of them uncoverable, FS will have to cheat and that leave the other open. If the defense dedicates itself to the pass, we have 3 capable runners fresh.

Get your popcorn ready.

The same thought had entered my mind about the Ram comparison and I'm thinking to myself, now this is the offensive talent level Steve Fairchild needed to duplicate the greatest show on turf. (was I just defending Fairchild?) :thumbsup:

DJ needs to let go completely of the offense and let the monster grow, T.O., Turk Shonert, and the Holy Trent will guide the shaggy beast in the right direction. :ph34r:

The same thought had entered my mind about the Ram comparison and I'm thinking to myself, now this is the offensive talent level Steve Fairchild needed to duplicate the greatest show on turf. (was I just defending Fairchild?) :thumbsup:

DJ needs to let go completely of the offense and let the monster grow, T.O. and the Holy Trent will guide the beast in the right direction. :ph34r:

umm.. Fairchild?

OK, I quit laughing now. Lets see:

Orlando Pace vs. Langston Walker-a complete joke to compare them-HOF vs. Journeyman

Kurt Warner vs. Trent Edwards-Not close, Warner has a better arm in his sleep

Marshall Faulk vs. Marshawn Lynch-Lynch may have a great career if he stays out of trouble, but not close to Faulk yet.

Isaac Bruce/Tory Holt vs. T.O. Lee Evans-Maybe one of the closes comparisons, although they still get the nod as of now, no question

London Fletcher vs. P. Posluzny-I love Poz personally (not in a gay way either), but at this point, no comparison

The "Greatest Show on Turf" vs. "The most boring offense ever"-enough said

An O-Coordinator all about taking chances vs. An O-Coordinator that shouldn't even be in his position, he won't take a chance on anything-Mr. Safe

A Head Coach that has won everywhere he coached (and cried about it too) vs. a Head Coach that has lost everywhere he has been.

I could go on, but getting bored of this nonsense post.

Orlando Pace vs. Langston Walker-a complete joke to compare them-HOF vs. Journeyman

Marshall Faulk vs. Marshawn Lynch-Lynch may have a great career if he stays out of trouble, but not close to Faulk yet.

Isaac Bruce/Tory Holt vs. T.O. Lee Evans-Maybe one of the closes comparisons, although they still get the nod as of now, no question

London Fletcher vs. P. Posluzny-I love Poz personally (not in a gay way either), but at this point, no comparison

An O-Coordinator all about taking chances vs. An O-Coordinator that shouldn't even be in his position, he won't take a chance on anything-Mr. Safe

A Head Coach that has won everywhere he coached (and cried about it too) vs. a Head Coach that has lost everywhere he has been.

Hmm.....I wonder if we could talk Dick Vermeil into coaching the Bills...you know tug on his heart strings about how much this team means to Buffalo and how much we miss the playoffs. Just show him the clip of 'Wide Right' and he'll be bawling in no time! We could probably get him cheap too!

Guest dog14787

I have allot of respect for Kurt Warner and while Trent Edwards may not have the cannon of an arm as Warner does, TE is still comparable to Kurt Warner in other ways, TE's a smart, fast thinking QB, he's accurate with a much quicker release then Warner and TE is very professional acting on and off the field and displays strong leadership abilities just like Kurt Warner.

I have allot of respect for Kurt Warner and while Trent Edwards may not have the cannon of an arm as Warner does, TE is still comparable to Kurt Warner in other ways, TE's a smart, fast thinking QB, he's accurate with a much quicker release then Warner and TE is very professional acting on and off the field and displays strong leadership abilities just like Kurt Warner.

Bingo, I think that Trent has many positive attributes that Kurt Warner possesses.

They kinda of look a like too. Plus, props to Mrs. Warner who is looking pretty good these days.

but for all this talk of Warner's arm strength, I'd hardly call his arm cannon-like. It may be slighty stronger than Edwards' but what makes KW so successful is accuracy & his release. I'm also the fact he has played with possibly 3 HOF receivers and another really good one doesn't hurt either. But I'm sure Warner would have similar stats playing in Buffalo throwing to Josh Reed and Robert Royal.

The St. Louis Rams in 1999 became the greatest show on Turf because of their offense's ability to score on a regular basis. The had their best WR coming off a bad year in Issac Bruce (Lee Evans for us), Added Faulk who was able to catch well out of the backfield (Rhodes for us), Had a 28 year old QB in Warner with a great mind / quick decision making / accurate throws (flashes of 26 year old Trent last year), a O-line that came together (fingers crossed for us)., The Rams had just come off a 4-12 season after multiple losing years in a row (Bills have sucked for years).

1999 NFL St. Louis Rams* 13 3 0 Vermeil Warner Faulk Bruce 1 1 4 6 9 1 1 31

1998 NFL St. Louis Rams 4 12 0 Vermeil Banks Henley Proehl 24 27 24 10 27 25 22 30

1997 NFL St. Louis Rams 5 11 0 Vermeil Banks Phillips Lee 23 21 19 17 6 23 19 30

1996 NFL St. Louis Rams 6 10 0 Brooks Banks Phillips Bruce 20 27 27 26 21 27 30 30

1995 NFL St. Louis Rams 7 9 0 Brooks Miller Bettis Bruce 22 15 29 12 19 27 15 30

Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%

Kurt Warner*+ 28 QB 16 16 13-3-0 325 499 65.1 4353 41 8.2 13 2.6 75 8.7 8.4 13.4 272.1 109.2 29 201 7.9 7.5 5.5

Add it all up and there is many things to compare, especially with T.O. being the most productive WR in the past 3 years and ML bulking up to 230 and being able to hammer out yards. I actually see our offense as rather difficult to handle on a weekly basis, simliar the the Rams. If the Bills can score early and often, our defense will see alot more passes than normal which will win us alot of games this year. I personally think if our opponents have to pass a majority of the time, they are dead ducks in general against us.

GO BILLS!!

In the year the Rams won the Super Bowl, Kurt Warner had one of the finest seasons of quarterbacking by any quarterback, ever. He followed it up by some less impressive seasons (including some bad years when he was injured)--but that one year was spectacular. It's very unlikely Edwards will have a year that's even close to Warner's Super Bowl year/performance.

The Rams had Orlando Pace at LT. The Bills have Langston Walker.

Isaac Bruce was a dominant WR who could be consistently productive even when being double covered. The same can't be said for Lee Evans.

There's a world of difference between Marshall Faulk (an amazing football player) and the Bills' third string RB (Dominique Rhodes).

I expect to see the Bills make some improvement in some phases of the game, especially later in the season. But it's very unlikely they'll match the Greatest Show on Turf--at least not in 2009.