Oct 2002 - The story of Dick Jauron "Coward"-gate

Why do you over look the fact that in those same stretch of games, Trent outright came out and said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he wasn't prepared for what those defenses threw at him? Who's job is it to prepare him?!? I know it's not Dicky J's directly, but he sure as f#ck have a good grip as to why his QB feels unprepared!!! You bring in a rookie offensive co-ordinator and a young QB coach and you're surprised he struggles (particularly against 3-4 defenses). You think at some point, our venerable coaching staff would TRAIN him on how to react to a 3-4.

This staff is just as responsible for Trent's shortcomings as Trent is.

You're cherry picking this argument like crazy. You really are.

What Trent SAID was that they were doing things they never saw on film. HOW IS THAT JAURON'S FAULT!? Is he also expected to tape the games/strategies the opponents DON'T employ?

So what did Trent MEAN when he said that? There's an easy way to shut me down, short zone, soft deep, make me throw long. It's a strategy that teams can employ to specifically target and shut me down and it runs contrary to what they do on a regular basis against other opponents.

Now, I was AT the Niners game, and it certainly wasn't because there was nobody open down field the whole game...

So, I'll ask AGAIN, if the play is called, and the quarterback doesn't execute the play to its utmost proficiency, REPEATEDLY throughout the course of a game, then the only thing you can fault the coach for is leaving him in the game.

Thank God Trent had JP behind him as an insurance policy to avoid the aforementioned in spite of chronic failure.

In fact, IIRC, in the niners game, Trent's "injury" was either the cause for his ineptitude, OR it was the phantom excuse to get him the heck out of there.

But once JP came in, SF played the exact opposite, deep zone, make him throw short, hence why everyone here thinks Marshawn blew up that game. He was bound to, provided we were out outside the redzone. SF was more than willing to give him all the space in the world.

So I'll ask again, who's to blame?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're cherry picking this argument like crazy. You really are.

What Trent SAID was that they were doing things they never saw on film. HOW IS THAT JAURON'S FAULT!? Is he also expected to tape the games/strategies the opponents DON'T employ?

So what did Trent MEAN when he said that? There's an easy way to shut me down, short zone, soft deep, make me throw long. It's a strategy that teams can employ to specifically target and shut me down and it runs contrary to what they do on a regular basis against other opponents.

Now, I was AT the Niners game, and it certainly wasn't because there was nobody open down field the whole game...

So, I'll ask AGAIN, if the play is called, and the quarterback doesn't execute the play to its utmost proficiency, REPEATEDLY throughout the course of a game, then the only thing you can fault the coach for is leaving him in the game.

Thank God Trent had JP behind him as an insurance policy to avoid the aforementioned in spite of chronic failure.

In fact, IIRC, in the niners game, Trent's "injury" was either the cause for his ineptitude, OR it was the phantom excuse to get him the heck out of there.

But once JP came in, SF played the exact opposite, deep zone, make him throw short, hence why everyone here thinks Marshawn blew up that game. He was bound to, provided we were out outside the redzone. SF was more than willing to give him all the space in the world.

So I'll ask again, who's to blame?

The SF game is all marshawn's fault for not handing the ball off to himself at all in the 4th quarter, despite averaging 8 yards per carry in a 1 score game.

The SF game is all marshawn's fault for not handing the ball off to himself at all in the 4th quarter, despite averaging 8 yards per carry in a 1 score game.

The 8 yards per carry were grossly inflated by one 50 yard run that my grandma could have made and a nice 22 yard run. Take those 2 out and he was having a modest game...

And, let me ask you this...how many points did we have behind Marshawns 100+ yards at that point? Let me help you, 3...yes 3 points...so it obviously was not getting the job done. But you dont look at what he did in that game, you look at the yardage totals as if he was running wild all day...outside of a couple of good runs, it was not all that effective because it had no passing support (not Marshawns fault).

Agree with most of this but I disagree about the QB part. Edwards had better numbers than Flacco and numbers slighty worse than Ryan. However, the Falcons had the best rb in football and the Ravens have a dominant defense. Those 2 things can carry teams and make up for a young QBs struggles. We didn't have that in Buffalo.

You say that because you look at the season totals...compare the in game performances in Trents final 8 games to their final 8 games and you will see Trent played at a terribly low level. Flacco just needed to not lose games for that team as they had a stellar D. Ryan grossly outplayed Edwards in decision making, big time throws, and poise last year.

But my original point was to the person making the statement about the turnaround those first year HC's had for their teams. Each one of the those teams had a brand new QB who played well. ATL and MIA were completely rebuilt, and Balt had the D to carry the team. DJ did not have a remade roster and went into the season with essentially the same offense as the year before and had to deal with a 2nd year QB who struggled mightily, and I dont think a different HC last year would have changed Trents struggles or JP's struggles.

Researching mind-numbing Jaroun quotes (redundancy, I know) for the other thread, I came across a long forgotten story which I felt was interesting enough to have it's own thread. The story bares a striking resemblance to what pains that the Bills fans are going through today (well those sane ones who have literally had it with Jauron-ball). A quick synopsis is that in Oct of 2002, then Chicago head coach Dick Jauron was called "a coward" by a caller during his a weekly radio talk show after a heartbreaking OT loss to the Lions. Dick responded that he had a lot better ways to spend his time.

The setup...

After going 13-3 the previous season and starting out 2002 with 2 straight wins then 3 straight losses, the Bears lost 20-23 to the Lions in overtime. Note the Bears final drive "let's try killing the clock with 7 minutes left" ultraconservative play selection which ended with a punt to the Lions with 2:21 in time remaining...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2002.htm

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...p;override=true

Also note: the Bears lost 4 more games in a row after that OT loss, making it 8 straight losses well on their way to a fabulous 4-12 record.

Here was some press on the Jauron called a "coward" story...

http://www.dailypress.com/topic/cs-021028b...37.story?page=2

"On the air: Jauron cleared up the controversy over remarks he made on his radio show last week.
When a caller suggested Jauron was coaching like a "coward," host Hub Arkush jumped in and defended the coach. Jauron, in turn, said he had, "a lot better ways to spend my time.""

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-21...2;"Byline: Bob LeGere Daily Herald Sports Writer 
In light of the publicity generated last week by confrontational calls to him on "The Bears Insider" on WSCR 670-AM Monday evenings, coach Dick Jauron was asked if having to handle adversarial callers was difficult. 
"For me? No, it's really not," Jauron said. "I mean I'd rather not; you'd rather win all your games. Even then I'm sure you'll have some callers who don't agree with things you do. "

And here's a football forum (circa 2006) talking about the episode and the Bills' possible hiring of Jauron...

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=139708

"I give Dick credit for going to that show each week and getting smashed by callers, while keeping his composure.

and about the conservative approach I agree, I remember him saying something like "we just need to keep the game close, and hopefully will have a chance to win it with a field goal at the end." I understand about holding on to the ball, field position, ect......but I cant have my team play the whole game with a prevent offence and defense."

I know it's small annedotal story, yet it's one that I had never heard about and explains so clearly why we're so frustrated. He DOES coach like he's afraid of his own shadow. It was as true in 2002 as it is in 2009! I found this story very interesting and if you didn't I'm sure that you'll let me have it. Hey, anybody know if Dick is going to have a call-in show this season?

Thanks for sharing your excellent research.

Unfortunately, its not exactly news to anyone who has watched him coach the Bills. It is pretty clear what his philosophy is: don't make mistakes and keep it close, hope you pull it out in the end. An ideal Jauron game is 13-10, kicking 20 yard FG with 2 second left. "Take what the defense gives you." If they give you a 3 yard dump off on 3rd and 12, take the dump off.

I'd rather lose by 50 and go down pissing and moaning and scratching and clawing all the way rather than this chickens*t football.

My hope is that even he is going to throw caution to the winds this year, its do it or get fired and lotsa luck ever being hired as a HC ever again. His career is on the line this year.

Thanks for sharing your excellent research.

Unfortunately, its not exactly news to anyone who has watched him coach the Bills. It is pretty clear what his philosophy is: don't make mistakes and keep it close, hope you pull it out in the end. An ideal Jauron game is 13-10, kicking 20 yard FG with 2 second left. "Take what the defense gives you." If they give you a 3 yard dump off on 3rd and 12, take the dump off.

I'd rather lose by 50 and go down pissing and moaning and scratching and clawing all the way rather than this chickens*t football.

My hope is that even he is going to throw caution to the winds this year, its do it or get fired and lotsa luck ever being hired as a HC ever again. His career is on the line this year.

What you call "chickensh*t" football, I call a pretty sound and reliable approach to the defensive portion of the game.

What you call "chickensh*t" football has absolutely no bearing on the offensive side of the ball. Period.

I really can not defend jauron. History tells us he will probably cost you 2-3 games per year. With that being said, more then anything else last year, I think the thing that cost us was the play of our qbs. Things started going in the tank when they started making game changing turnovers. Edwards imo gave the game away to the dolphins the first time, the jets game when Edwards throws a pick 6 when they going into the score, the 49ers game when neither qb could do anything, the Cleveland game where Edwards gave one of the worst/most cowardly qb efforts I have ever seen, not to be outdone, the 2nd Miami game where Loserman made some throws that were so bad that I did not think it was possible for an nfl qb to miss his target time & time again by that much, to finally the jets 2nd game. DJ was not being conservative at the end. All he asked was that his egghead qb to do a simple rollout & if the play is not there take off & slide for a few yards. As we all know (*^*&%^$^#choked & fumbled the game away. No coach in the league could take a team to the playoffs with the quality of qbing we have gotten the last 3 years. it is actually a miracle we have won 7 games each of the last three seasons.

See, I know it is popular on this board to say the qb position is just one of 11 positions on offense that equally contribute to the success/failure of the unit. It is just not true. The qb position is on par with a goalie in hockey & a pitcher in baseball. They are the great equalizer. You really think indy/Ne have been so good these last 10 years because they have better personal then everybody else? They just have better qbs then everybody else. Give Jauron a qb & maybe he will get you 10-11 wins & the playoffs. Hoepfully Edwards is the guy this year(cautously optimistic). Because if he is not, it is going to be 10yrs in a row without the playoffs & nothing Jauron can do will change that.

why is it that Dick has always had bad QB play in all of his coaching venues??

even last year after a strong start by Trent, Dick's coaching turned him into a basket case.

It is either Dick's philosophy or the inept OCs and QB coaches that he hires that cause his QBs to play like crap.

but it is no accident and Dick does not get a free pass for having crappy QB when he has such a big input the personnel.

why is it that Dick has always had bad QB play in all of his coaching venues??

even last year after a strong start by Trent, Dick's coaching turned him into a basket case.

It is either Dick's philosophy or the inept OCs and QB coaches that he hires that cause his QBs to play like crap.

but it is no accident and Dick does not get a free pass for having crappy QB when he has such a big input the personnel.

Or it's the fact that at any given time in the NFL there's 5 superstar QB's, 5 very good QB'S, 5 reliable QB's and 17 marginal to bad QB'S.

What really needs to happen is having his ass kicked out of the NFL once and for all. Thanks, Marv, for saddling us with this perennial loser.

Do you really think Jauron was Marv's first choice?

It was probably like this: "Marv get us a new coach who isn't a rookie. The fans have figured out that I hire rookie head coaches to save money. But don't hire someone with a proven record or we'll have to pay him the going rate."

Or it's the fact that at any given time in the NFL there's 5 superstar QB's, 5 very good QB'S, 5 reliable QB's and 17 marginal to bad QB'S.

why do the performance of Dick's QBs always end up in the bottom category?

Trent showed he had some talent over the first 5 games, then mysteriously he became a basket case.

He was totally unprepared for 3-4 defenses

Coaching should have prepared him better and then coached him up to recover his season.

why do the performance of Dick's QBs always end up in the bottom category?

Trent showed he had some talent over the first 5 games, then mysteriously he became a basket case.

He was totally unprepared for 3-4 defenses

Coaching should have prepared him better and then coached him up to recover his season.

What do you mean he was unprepared? That's a cherry-picking blanket statement which really doesn't mean anything.

What do you mean he was unprepared? That's a cherry-picking blanket statement which really doesn't mean anything.

I mean he sucked against the teams playing a 3-4 which is why we went 0-6 in the division.

The coaches did nothing to adjust to the soft coverage teams were playing because it confused Trent and rendered him useless.

Either Trent is totally hopeless (which I don't believe to be the case) or teh offensive coaches were inept last year in preparing Trent to face 3-4 defenses and adjusting to in game changes.

Much of this may be because Dick mandated the offense play indoors exclusively against our own 4-3 defense which left Trent clueless against the 3-4's he faced.

I mean he sucked against the teams playing a 3-4 which is why we went 0-6 in the division.

The coaches did nothing to adjust to the soft coverage teams were playing because it confused Trent and rendered him useless.

Either Trent is totally hopeless (which I don't believe to be the case) or teh offensive coaches were inept last year in preparing Trent to face 3-4 defenses and adjusting to in game changes.

Much of this may be because Dick mandated the offense play indoors exclusively against our own 4-3 defense which left Trent clueless against the 3-4's he faced.

And just how do you combat a short, soft zone?

Practice outdoors?

Link? You don't have one so stop just making up schiit.

In all the discussion about whether Trent is prepared or not well enough by DJ and the assistants, why not turn things around a little. When was the last time any opponent went before the media after a game and said the Bills did things we just were not expecting. We seem to always be trying to figure out our opponents and we never seem to have any new innovation to confuse them.

The coaching staff is in over its head, even though I like DJ, Perry, and Turk as people and root for them. Maybe this year with TO we will be able to come up with some schemes people don't expect or at least execute in a way they can't stop us.

What about a link supporting your statement? Why are you saying the Bills didn't practice against 3-4 schemes ever? I don't even know a highschool team that doesn't mimic their opponent. This team has plenty of problems, it doesn't need the haters making stuff up.