Was Oher the better pick?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Steuber thinks so.

Not sure if I agree. I love the Maybin selection. Still, it's worth tracking. Anyone who hasn't read the Blind Side needs to. Amazing book. Oher could be the next Pace at left tackle, but Maybin has an unworldy first step. Tough call.

The Bills made their decision right or wrong. Only time will tell. It is way to early to second guess them. The Bills desperately needed a outstanding pass rusher and I believe they got one in Maybin. They spent a lot of time and money making that pick. They had others they could have chosen, but Maybin was their man and so be it. I personally think they have a winner, but there will be doubters till he gets to play some. Oher would have been a good pick but always compared to Peters for years to come. The Bills took that equastion out of the picture. I like what they did in free agency and the draft. Could they have done better... who knows for sure. Brandon, Modrak and Jauron called the shots this year with Mr. Wilson out of the picture because of the health of his daughter. I think so far so good with all the changes. I still do not think we will make the playoffs however because we still have ALL the same coaches... Hopefully I am wrong...

Chris Steuber thinks so.

Not sure if I agree. I love the Maybin selection. Still, it's worth tracking. Anyone who hasn't read the Blind Side needs to. Amazing book. Oher could be the next Pace at left tackle, but Maybin has an unworldy first step. Tough call.

Why would you include a link in your post that forces you to pay money to read then entire thing? Are you a salesman for that "premium" e-zine or something? :w00t:

I wasn't sold on Oher, nor on the Fat Guy without a shirt. It looked like the only two sure, no doubt picks at LT were picked up in the first few selections. The Bills had a few top priority spots they had to fill with really talented guys, and they couldn't take a chance on a LT that high, if he had any chance of being a bust. As for Maybin, I didn't see a lot of pre-draft film on him, and was surprised by the pick. I would've been happy with E. Brown at 11, and when we could've got him in round two, that was the only part of our draft I didn't like. Orakpo, too, seemed a solid pick at 11. As it is, I have to assume that the Bills F.O. and scouts know more about players than I do. If they picked Maybin that high, I'm giving him time to see if they were right, and I really hope they were. It seemed, if I remember correctly, that the draft coverage people were a bit surprised by the pick. They expected a DE or a LT, but Maybins name was spoken of somewhat questionably. Let's hope they know what they are doing. I loved the line selections, though, and I think Byrd is going to be our version of Polamalu, or Bob Sanders. That'd be great!

There is a reason Oher slipped.

There was also a reason Thurman Thomas slipped, how did that work out?

players slip every year for whatever reason, some for good reason and some for not

I hated the Maybin pick

players slip every year for whatever reason, some for good reason and some for not

I hated the Maybin pick

There was a reason Why Trent Edwards slipped, just like why Tom Brady slipped all the way to the bottom of the 6th round...I hope Trent works out......

The contrast between Maybin & Oher is interesting. I was'nt thrilled with the Bills taking Maybin, mainly because I do not see Maybin as an instant impact player. He really would have benefitted from another year in school. Also, is Maybin more than just an edge rusher? I'm willing to give him time and I trust the Bills FO with the pick. I feel that Maybin's potential is enormous, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Oher, he may not have been the best Tackle in the class, but he was a four year player at Mississippi. Still, watching Oher play you do see inconsistancies. He does get upright a lot and his feet appear to be slow at times. Like Maybin, Oher does have a lot of potential and could turnout to be a very good left tackle.

I think that both Maybin & Oher can become great players with the right coaching and experience.

We all know how the last OT we picked 1st turned out, let's give the FO the benefit of the doubt and just wait and see? I think Maybin will be very good, from mid season on, learning curve will take that long. The revamped OL has me fired up for what this offense could be and the talk of no huddle sounds awesome! Let it roll :w00t:

Looking back on the draft and knowing how it shook out ( Which is something that is really unfair to do ) I would have taken a pass rusher either Maybin or Orakpo at 11 ( Orakpo was my choice at the time but I see the logic of the Maybin pick ) Than knowing how much Oher was going to fall I would have used the 28th and our 3rd and possibly fifth to try and trade up for him.

Than try to see if Wood would have fallen to 42 or to a point were we could have used the extra fourth to trade up a few spots for him. Than obviously take Nelson in the fourth ( Man what a steal he was ).

With that draft we solidify our oline and get a pass rusher as well as our tightend. I know its easy to look back when you know where everyone would have went but at the time of the draft I was thinking why did they not get the 21st pick form Philly so they could have taken Oher without trading a pick. Than we have 42nd pick as well as our third and two fourths to play with.

But its not the end of the world we still got Maybin we picked up our guards and got a safety as well as a steal at tightend. So I am happy with our draft it was good ( at least on paper ) But that draft would have been perfect.

There is a reason Oher slipped.

Many people think Oher will be an RT, not an LT in the pros. That is a lot of the reason he slipped, and a good reason why the Bills didn't pick him. We have too many RTs and not a single LT (IMHO, of course), and Oher wouldn't have addressed our weakness.

I think that if Jason Smith would still have been there at #11, he would be a Buffalo Bill now, but there's no way to say for sure, as the Bills haven't even begun to address that question, and most likely never will.

I think that if Jason Smith would still have been there at #11, he would be a Buffalo Bill now, but there's no way to say for sure, as the Bills haven't even begun to address that question, and most likely never will.

I agree with you there, there was a definite drop off on assumed talent level among OT after Smith, and I don't think Oher was worth the risk either.

If Maybin has Poz's work ethic from PSU, he might turn out to be a hardworking football player (see Kelsay, Chris). To become a really good DE, he will have to show some magic of his own.

I have no idea if Maybin will be any good, but if a team wants to draft a pass rusher, they have to grab him early these days. In that sense, I can easily understand the pick.

Imo, things have changed wrt the left tackle position. Just a few years ago, there were very few really good ones. Now, it seems that a lot of teams have them. I am guessing that athletes saw the money LTs were getting paid and focused their attention on this position. A Left Tackle who is drafted early and survives 2 contracts will earn more than 100 million dollars. Also, they seem to have better longevity than DTs, but I have no stats to back up this claim; it's just a hunch.

I think that the above will create a shortage at the Guard position. Look at the contracts that Dockery, Davis and Steinbach signed in 07. That was 2 years ago, yet the numbers still seem high. An elderly Faneca received mega millions as well from the jests.

In this sense, the Bills really helped themselves in the 09 draft, providing of course that Wood and Levitre can play (and I think they can). The Peters situation sucked. My expectations for Walker at LT are very low. He is fat and plodding. We can pretend that he isn't, but he is.

To replace Peters, the Bills will probably have to use a first round pick in 2010. It just isn't going to happen with what we have on the roster. If Dumbo Jauron is still here, I can't see it happening. We will probably go for a few years without a solid LT, despite the recent abundance of young ones drafted early. Dumbo, loser that he is, thinks that the secondary is more important than blocking.

And so it goes.

I hated the Maybin pick

Sadly for me, the reason I hate the Maybin pick was because DJ picked him. I would have hated Oher too, because DJ picked him. I am convinced that he can do no right, the prick.

So, given we picked him, Maybin will be a semi-dud a la Whitner, and Oher will have ten+ years of great service. That is my prediction. Hope not.

The contrast between Maybin & Oher is interesting. I was'nt thrilled with the Bills taking Maybin, mainly because I do not see Maybin as an instant impact player. He really would have benefitted from another year in school. Also, is Maybin more than just an edge rusher? I'm willing to give him time and I trust the Bills FO with the pick. I feel that Maybin's potential is enormous, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Oher, he may not have been the best Tackle in the class, but he was a four year player at Mississippi. Still, watching Oher play you do see inconsistancies. He does get upright a lot and his feet appear to be slow at times. Like Maybin, Oher does have a lot of potential and could turnout to be a very good left tackle.

I think that both Maybin & Oher can become great players with the right coaching.

That leaves the bills out!!