I never thought I would say this, but ..

I keep hearing the talking heads saying that the Pats* are still the team to beat in the AFCE, I just don't believe that Brady* is going to be the same QB we're used to seeing. Over a year out of football, the psychological effects of the knee injury, and the teams' overall losses at key positions ie: corners in particular will be too much to overcome.

Brady doesn't have to be the dominant player he was for the Pats* to keep winning, he just needs to be as good as Cassel was last year, something I fear will not be a problem for him at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your thinking on the Pats* being 11-5 ( based on Brady's* return to form )

I am curious, however, what makes you think that Buffalo will go 10-6 this season? New coach hired midway through the season? :bag:

While I do see Pennington having less success at QB I think overall the team will improve in its second year implementing the Wildcat, not to mention them being better defensively. Look what happened with just Porter in the front 7 last year and now you throw a healthy Jason Taylor into the mix. I see them winning the division again, unfortunately. :w00t:

I agree with your assessment of the Jets, I see a bottom dweller there.

The difference between Dick Jauron and Marty Schottenheimer is that at 12-4 in San Diego, Marty hired Cam Cameron as his OC,who is now with the Ravens and that punishing offensive running game, Wade Phillips was the DC and now HC of the cowboys.

Jauron promoted from within the Bills staff and the O line got much worse and the offense had some of the most retarded play calls ever :thumbsup:

The Jets will surprise people this year with a fearsome defense, but not last. That spot will be held by Jauron and co.

At teh very worse, I expect a split out of MIA. But there's no reason we shouldn't swept them. They have a good defense but they are arguably the least talented team to make the playoffs ever. We handed them the game in MIA and Losman started that horrible joke of a game in Toronto.

Prediction: Henne will be the starting QB for MIA at the end of the season.

NE- 13-3

Buf- 9-7

Mia- 7-9

NYJ- 5-11

The wild cat is a gimmickey offense, you need a good pocket passer and/or a smashmouth running game to be successful on offense in this league period. See how well their wild cat worked on us when we beat them to the tune of 48-28 and ran for like 70 yards. You might as well advocate the option or the fun 'n' gun

you keep mentioning that this is Miami's second year of the wildcat offense, but you decline to say that this is the second year for all 32 teams defenses to prepare for the wildcat...its a gimmicky offense and defenses will be more prepared for it this year...especially defenses playing against Miami

I'll give you that! But keep in mind they drafted a slashesque player in Pat White to complement Ronnie Brown. Unfortunately I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg of the Wildcat, but personally I hope you're right! :pirate:

all the teams in the AFC East have good coaching staffs and good front offices - EXCEPT the one headquartered at OBD.

That's quite a disadvantage to overcome every week - and is why the Bills will again be cellar dwellars

Last I checked the Jets have a brand new coaching staff and wasted tons of time and money on Brett Favre. That doesnt equal a good coaching staff and strong front office.

(GULP) the Miami Dolphins! As much as we hate to admit it, they are the team in our division that showed the most dramatic improvement in the league. That cursed Bill Parcells continues his knack for taking teams in the crapper and turning them into contenders. To think that all the success they had with the Wildcat last year will only improve in its 2nd year, and now with the addition of this "slash-type player" Pat White its liable to be opened up even more! I kept waiting for Chad "int" Pennington to return to form but he played well, Joey Porter thrived in his new role and now they get Jason Taylor back. Bill Parcells will continue to haunt this team as if it was 1991 all over again!

I keep hearing the talking heads saying that the Pats* are still the team to beat in the AFCE, I just don't believe that Brady* is going to be the same QB we're used to seeing. Over a year out of football, the psychological effects of the knee injury, and the teams' overall losses at key positions ie: corners in particular will be too much to overcome.

The Jets, I think this team over-achieved offensively with Brett at QB and in spite of all the good moves they made defensively, they won't be able to score enough points in this division to compete.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on these assumptions about the upcoming season, what do you guys think? Anyone else see the wildcat offense as being similar to the K-gun offense for us in the early 90's? :w00t:

I never thought you would say it either.

Anything could happen, but IMHO the Patriots* are much more intimidating than the Fins or Jets.

(GULP) the Miami Dolphins! As much as we hate to admit it, they are the team in our division that showed the most dramatic improvement in the league. That cursed Bill Parcells continues his knack for taking teams in the crapper and turning them into contenders. To think that all the success they had with the Wildcat last year will only improve in its 2nd year, and now with the addition of this "slash-type player" Pat White its liable to be opened up even more! I kept waiting for Chad "int" Pennington to return to form but he played well, Joey Porter thrived in his new role and now they get Jason Taylor back. Bill Parcells will continue to haunt this team as if it was 1991 all over again!

The Jets, I think this team over-achieved offensively with Brett at QB and in spite of all the good moves they made defensively, they won't be able to score enough points in this division to compete.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on these assumptions about the upcoming season, what do you guys think? Anyone else see the wildcat offense as being similar to the K-gun offense for us in the early 90's? :w00t:

The wildcat offense equivalent to the K-gun? Are you kidding me? First of all, there is a huge talent differential between the players running the offense---lets see, a HOF QB, HOF RB, and 2 HOF WR's running the K-Gun versus exactly what running the wildcat? A guy that has trouble throwing the ball more than 20 yards, an RB that is always getting hurt, and a couple of Josh Reed type number receivers? Yeah--sounds pretty similar to me.

Second of all, the wildcat offense was basically a cute little tactic that caught a few teams offguard early in the season, but by the end of the season, it really didn't do much damage. They do not run the wildcat offense as their base formation. They use it a handful of times per game to try and create a mismatch somewhere. Lets get a grip here. Comparing some gimmick a team uses because they have very average skill players to one of the best offenses in NFL history is one of those things that make you shake your head because of its utter stupidity. Its so stupid, in all honesty, it really doesn't even warrant a response, but at the same time, the stupidity level of it makes you want to just ask "WTF are you thinking even writing something like that?!?"

Yes the Dolphins were much improved. They also perhaps overachieved more than any other team in the NFL based on what talent they had. If anything, I think the Dolphins will bounce back to reality this season and go 8-8 at best. The Dolphins cannot keep winning with smoke and mirrors---they still just don't have as much talent as the other teams in the division(including the Bills). The Bills underachieved last year, which seems to be a pretty common theme with Jauron coached teams. This year, they theoretically have more talent, but they are also playing a much harder schedule on paper(as is the entire AFC East). The Bills could actually be a better team, but still finish with the same record or a worse record, just because they don't have a bunch of patsies to play against on their schedule this year.

you keep mentioning that this is Miami's second year of the wildcat offense, but you decline to say that this is the second year for all 32 teams defenses to prepare for the wildcat...its a gimmicky offense and defenses will be more prepared for it this year...especially defenses playing against Miami

defenses began shutting that offense down by the middle of the season---Baltimore basically annihilated the Dolphins when they tried to run those plays...it didn't really do a whole lot against us either time---got them a few first downs on 3rd down plays, but that is about it...

I mean, they only ran the plays a handful of times a game anyways---the original poster is making it sound like they run that as their base formation every play, which is not even close to being the case...

I dont think the wildcat offense is a gimmick, or that it will wont work as well this year as last. When the single wing offense is run correctly, having a quarterback as a runner gives you an extra blocker and opens up a world of playaction, draws, misdirection plays, blocking schemes and deception in general which are legitimately hard to defend against.

If you have players that can block and receive, the defense has a hard time picking what personnel to put on the field.

I'm afraid I agree with this. But I do think that many of those plays are a bit risky, with lots of tricky snaps, laterals and other things that can go wrong.

Still, with a guy like Pat White, who is extremely versatile, this becomes a tough offense. However, they will have to switch personnel to run the Wildcat. Anytime White is in, teams will know it's a Wildcat down. If White ever becomes their starter, it would become extremely difficult to defend it.

It's a gimmick, but not purely a gimmick. It also adds some legitimate types of plays and options that are unavailable in conventional sets.

Still, the Patriots* are a much more dangerous team than the Fins, in my opinion.

The Bills underachieved last year, which seems to be a pretty common theme with Jauron coached teams. This year, they theoretically have more talent, but they are also playing a much harder schedule on paper(as is the entire AFC East). The Bills could actually be a better team, but still finish with the same record or a worse record, just because they don't have a bunch of patsies to play against on their schedule this year.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I sure didn't see the Bills underachieving last year. I saw them not being a very good team personnel-wise. I saw them catching a bad year from their best player, Peters, especially at the beginning of the year. I saw them with a very young, inexperienced and inconsistent QB. I saw them with a young and not extremely athletic defense. I think they look a bit better this year, except at LT of course. But I think the lack of continuity in the OL is very likely to rise up and bite them in the butt, especially early in the year.

No doubt Brady is very concerned about the loss of 2 CBs.

Brady to SI: 'There's nothing I can't do'

The same day Tom Brady makes his first public appearance in the New England Patriots' huddle, Sports Illustrated will hit the newsstands and get folded into your mailbox with a cover story about his anticipated return from a season-ending knee injury.

The story, written by Peter King, was posted on SI.com Tuesday. King sat down with Brady for his first meaningful interview since his left knee caved in Sept. 7.

Brady's comments should further encourage Patriots fans and concern the rest of the AFC East. King described the interview as "impassioned, fiery, a little defiant -- it was a side of Tom Brady the public hasn't often seen."

And so it begins :w00t::unsure:

All of the AFC teams face a much tougher schedule. Pennington won't repeat 11-5 even with a now known Wildcat formation.

The JETS have a rookie QB.

I'm afraid I agree with this. But I do think that many of those plays are a bit risky, with lots of tricky snaps, laterals and other things that can go wrong.

Still, with a guy like Pat White, who is extremely versatile, this becomes a tough offense. However, they will have to switch personnel to run the Wildcat. Anytime White is in, teams will know it's a Wildcat down. If White ever becomes their starter, it would become extremely difficult to defend it.

It's a gimmick, but not purely a gimmick. It also adds some legitimate types of plays and options that are unavailable in conventional sets.

Still, the Patriots* are a much more dangerous team than the Fins, in my opinion.

Jets will be the surprise team with a very aggresive defense and much turnovers. I think they are the team that can literally kick our buts. I don't lioke the Jets defense vs our offense. Too physical.

NE*- 13-3

Buf- 9-7

Mia- 7-9

NYJ- 5-11

that sounds about right..

Pats* will definitely not be worse than before. I believe we should be most fearful of a team that we're 0-16 against. I'd be glad to even gain a split against them, but we have to get some sort of passrush going to prevent Brady running up the scores. It'd be great if the OC could throw in a few trick plays, devious schemes, anything really.. because what we've been trying hasn't worked in the last few years. I'd hate for us to get swept yet again, it's getting hard to live here in Mass. and deal with all these idiots here on mornings after we play!

Fins have a primarily run-based offense with Chad dumping-off often. We haven't been able to stop Ronnie Brown effectively and this will haunt us. We need to get out running game in gear to negate Porter, Taylor & Co, and then bite them going long when they pack the box.

The NJ Jets are building a team in the Ravens mold - scary defense, minimal offense - no surprise really with Rex Ryan there. We will have to find a way of scoring 20+ against them to win both times, or else don't be surprised to see us lose with 13-7 type scorelines. I would say the best chance we would have to put points on the board against the Jets will be via special teams and turnovers caused by our D.

i honestly don't know how much better Miami got this offseason...all i know is pennington's never had 2 good seasons in a row I see it shaping up

1.Pats (11-5)

2.Buffalo (10-6)

3.Fins (7-9/8-8/9-7) somewhere round .500 i don't know

4.Jets (5-11)

People have got to get over their bias of the team, I understand team loyalty but be realisitc would you. We have a front 5 that have never played together side by side and two rookies, 2 playing new positions and one newby this team is not going to be as great as some think we are and the dolphins will not tail off much from last season.

1.Pats (11-5)(10-6)

2.Fins (10-6)(9-7)

3.Buffalo (6-10)(7-9)

4.Jets (3-13) Rookie Qb new wrs new coaches this team will be hard press to win 3 with this tough schedule

They went 0-6 last year against the dividion but the games were all later in the season, when everyone had DJs game completely figured out.

I'm thinking we go 1-5 against the division this year, win one of the early ones, before everyone has figured the 2009 DJ squad out too.

All the other coaches in our division, are significantly more clever than DJ. I promise. So they will figure him out, but not vice versa.