College Football

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take for example, Last year UB won its conference. Imagine for a second if they was to play against the SEC champ in a playoff game.

Yea sure they would most likely lose but think of all the national exposure UB would get. That means more potential recruits.

It would be a win win even if they lost the game and what if they accually won???

So what part of Arkansas are you from?

I really had a lot of fun with the UB season last year. Going to games with exciting outcomes, a play-making offense and free is something that is hard to beat.

Perhaps the 2008 UB Football season is only a gonna end up a novelty, nostalgic, arbitrary season amongts years of indifference. I mean, part of the fun of it was the fact that it was new, different, not stressful like other Buffalo football teams. If the team starts to matter more, the pressure increases, therefore, the fun level decreases. Does that make sense? I think part of why it was so enjoyable was because quite honestly, the outcome isn't as important to my sports-life as compared to a Bills or Sabres win.

All in all, I'd love to see the academic standards of the big schools, especially in the SEC increase. But of course, that'll never happen. I mean, sure, Roscoe Parrish can run really really fast, but can he compose a complete sentence? Is it so wrong to want professional athletes to be composed, thoughtful, dare I even say, insightful people? Probably. But I'd much rather draft players from Notre Dame that are talented and intelligent. Too bad the smart ones aren't good enough. All this said, I just gravitate towards the pro game more. The players in college get paid. If not in actual dollars, in perks, tuition moneys, and job/familial opportunities. Reggie Bush goes to USC for free and just like magic his mom gets a house and a car and a job. If you're gonna sit here and tell me the college game isn't all about money, you'd be lying. That's why my above point, going to college for free, to ya know, actually learn something, will never happen. You're not gonna see a Philosophy major that plays football. Engineering? Hah. Trent Edwards graduated Stanford with a Poly Sci degree. This is very hard to do. However, how good of a QB is Trent Edwards? The saga continues.

Beautiful post.

I wish the NCAA would do away with the "student-athlete" facade. Its time to get real and start giving these kids some $ to play college ball, instead of letting the university reap all the financial benefits. Let them just practice and workout and forget about the whole joke of "going to classes" and "passing tests." I also propose that in place of the current scholarship system, schools allow the 4 years of free tuition towards a degree to be used down the road. The education is wasted on the current crop of D-1 players, but perhaps when their career is over, or when they wash out of the NFL in 2 seasons, they'll realize the value of an education and go back to school then to truly earn a degree.

Take FSU QB recruit EJ Manuel. Kid wants to be a biochemical engineer. He came through and toured our lab. From our brief interaction, seems to have a decent head on his shoulders. But there's no way he get an engineering degree and play football. So let the kid play ball, and when he's done with that, be it in 4 years or in 20 years, let him come back to FSU and get his free education. They he can really focus and successfully apply his knowledge.

Don't forget that UB hosts Pitt for their home opner Sept. 12. I hope WNY football fans, the ones who say they like college football, sell out UB stadium to see a rare BCS-conference team play in Buffalo. I think they will have the MAC championship banner ceremony before the game. I also think UB will upset Pitt. So why not enjoy a tailgate by Lake LaSalle as a warmup to Bills season? Tickets run from $10-$25. A bargain.

PTR

I was brought up on professional football. College is typically played on Saturdays, and since for me, it's always been kind of a chores-around-the-house or running errands day, I never bothered to sit and watch Saturday games or develop any kind of allegiance. Sunday has always been the day I feel I've earned for myself after all the work is done, and in the Fall, that means Bills football.

The thing I've never been able to grasp about college ball is the talent disparity between opponents that taint the season schedule. Princeton against Florida State - why bother?

Also, too many teams and too much attrition.

The one I know college enthusiasts will disagree with is my contention that it's inferior. The talent level is not even close as compared to the pros. Is Women's basketball as popular as the NBA? Of course not - it's an inferior product. They're participants are not the best of the best. Any big fans of AHL hockey here? Hey, if I had nothing better to do, I might watch a few games, but I'm not one of those sports couch potatoes who can sit and watch any and all sporting events all weekend long.

The vast majority of college football players will never play organized football again after the final whistle blows in their last collegiate game. Why would I want to watch a bunch of State Farm sales agent prospects when there's plenty of top skill level action from NFL exposure. I appreciate that there's a loyal following for the college game, but I don't care if there was never another one played.

Beautiful post.

I wish the NCAA would do away with the "student-athlete" facade. Its time to get real and start giving these kids some $ to play college ball, instead of letting the university reap all the financial benefits.

The kids are already paid in the form of a full ride scholarship. That is a BIG payday.My son is currently working (and paying his own way) thru college and it's very tough. We're hoping my daughter will get a softball scholarship so she won't have to go the same route. The football programs that make big profits plow that money back into the athletic programs and help other non-profiting sports. If you're talking about paying the kids a small stipend so that they have a little pocket money that's cool,but anything more than that I'm opposed to.

I really got into college football this past season, and I have to say I enjoy it much more than the NFL (other than the Bills). Gambling on it is very fun too.

On a Saturday you literally can have games on from noon to 3AM if Hawaii is home. There are so many different cultures and traditions around so many programs.

Its also refreshing that Im not so invested into a team like I am with the Bills, Sabres, etc. There are a number of programs I really like (Buffalo, Oklahoma, Oregon St, Boise State, Auburn), and a number I will never root for (USC, Miami, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee). It will give me the freedom too to "switch teams" and root for whoever is interesting and maybe poised to make a run.

I really think that if the NCAA went to a 16 team playoff, it would end up having gargantuan interest.... like as much as some of the pro sports combined.

Spoken like a real bandwagon fan. :blink:

Spoken like a real bandwagon fan. :blink:

never me. youre speaking to a 25 year + cleveland indians, sabres, and bills fan.

I wont jump on with a team and pretend to be a huge fan or anything like that. I just have the freedom to root for different teams. If Oklahoma is in the top 3 or 4 and the other teams are USC and Florida who I hate, I am going to really pull for OU.

Or if a team like Ball State, Boise State, or Utah is making a run, its fun to root for them.

Usually when I pull for a team in a big game its the underdog anyways. And obviously I pull for UB no matter what.

I like NFL football way more than college. I watch some college games each year because it's football and all that's on, The things I don't like about college football:

1. no playoff

2. if a player slips and his knee touches the ground, the plays over

3. OT is dumb

4. HUGE discrepency between teams

5. big time teams pad their first several weeks of the season with cupcakes

6. Players careers are short. Every couple of years it's all new players. Too hard to keep up with

Things about college football I do like:

1. Greater variety is styles of offense and defense run

2. wider hash marks

3. Better instant replay rule