Who is the best football analyst on TV??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Jimmy Johnson for this reason - when news first broke of the Patriots spying, as evidenced by video tapes, and everyone was just starting to talk about it and form their opinions, everyone was saying how unbelievable it was and terrible, etc. Jimmy Johnson looked at them all and said it was not a big deal, that MOST teams did it in one form or another, that his teams did similar things, and, he pretty much told them all they were a bunch of liars for acting like it was out of nowhere and a one of a kind thing. That was on national T.V., and got little attention at the time, but was brought back up later. I like that he told it straight, even when doing so he put himself in Jeopardy of critisism. We know with him that his opinions might be right or wrong, but he's legit and HONEST, and he knows a lot about what really goes on in football.

I just have to say that, even though he's just a color blabbermouth who thinks he can anal-ize anything... I want to punch Phil Simms in the mouth. Funny how EA Sports had a separate volume for Simms on the video games. What a drag it is to endure his hyper-stupidity and Okra Homa drawwwl.

I like Jimmy Johnson for this reason - when news first broke of the Patriots spying, as evidenced by video tapes, and everyone was just starting to talk about it and form their opinions, everyone was saying how unbelievable it was and terrible, etc. Jimmy Johnson looked at them all and said it was not a big deal, that MOST teams did it in one form or another, that his teams did similar things, and, he pretty much told them all they were a bunch of liars for acting like it was out of nowhere and a one of a kind thing. That was on national T.V., and got little attention at the time, but was brought back up later. I like that he told it straight, even when doing so he put himself in Jeopardy of critisism. We know with him that his opinions might be right or wrong, but he's legit and HONEST, and he knows a lot about what really goes on in football.

Bill Parcells (BB's mentor remember) said pretty much the same thing on ESPN. He sort of implied, that BB may have been doing this, going all the way back to his days as DC for Parcells Giants. Parcells acted like it was much to to about nothing... I remember posting about it hear at the time, and nobody really seemed to see much significance.

As for "best analyst", I really don't hate as many as most folks here, but I am going to probably get blasted for this, from anyone who actually reads my post (I am not sure folks do sometimes), but I really think Dan Dierdorf is a pretty great color analyst. When he get bumped from MNF all those years ago, he really toned down the over-hype act, and when you hear him do a Sunday afternoon game, it is refreshing to hear him actually break down plays...he knows the game.

So, I would go:

color analyst: Dan Dierdorf

studio analyst: Chris Collinsworth (not alway right, but I like his style...)

Shannon Sharpe...that course in ebonics that I took a while back sure comes in handy. He also speaks like he has a "c@%k" in his mouth.

He needs to take a lesson from former Fox Sports announcer James Brown (who I think was one of the best in-studio people in the business). He would keep a bowl of lemons close by and chew on them before he went on the air to help with his speech articulation.

Joe Namath....remember the interview from Suzy Kolber on the sideline of a Monday night game..."I just wanna kiss you" Freakin classic!!!!

I remember that one live, Joe was hammered.

so by HONEST - you mean that it was OK for JJ to cheat just like the Pats were doing

OK --I see how your logic works

Bill Parcells (BB's mentor remember) said pretty much the same thing on ESPN. He sort of implied, that BB may have been doing this, going all the way back to his days as DC for Parcells Giants. Parcells acted like it was much to to about nothing... I remember posting about it hear at the time, and nobody really seemed to see much significance.

As for "best analyst", I really don't hate as many as most folks here, but I am going to probably get blasted for this, from anyone who actually reads my post (I am not sure folks do sometimes), but I really think Dan Dierdorf is a pretty great color analyst. When he get bumped from MNF all those years ago, he really toned down the over-hype act, and when you hear him do a Sunday afternoon game, it is refreshing to hear him actually break down plays...he knows the game.

So, I would go:

color analyst: Dan Dierdorf

studio analyst: Chris Collinsworth (not alway right, but I like his style...)

Blasphemy! As a reader and participant of The Stadium Wall, I believe you're supposed to hate Dierdorf.

Actually, I agree with you. For years, I've read TSWers blast the guy. Because of it, I've deliberately looked back at some of the recorded games with him as commentator, and tried, actually tried to find something that would make him so disliked by the readers of this forum. I can't figure it out. He seems very fair, even-handed, and has good insight into the game. There may be some things he says that you don't agree with, but do you expect to be 100% in lockstep with anyone? Why have the sound on if that's your wish? Do your own commentary!

It's certainly your right to dislike Dan, or anyone else for that matter, but I'm curious - what has he said that has brought such distain from the "Dierdorf haters".

Same thing is true in regard to Mel Kiper. Doesn't get a lot of love from youse guys. Granted, he's not very charismatic and doesn't have that instant likeability factor that TV holds so dear, but he's without question very knowledgeable about college prospects - at least far more than any of the rummys here who criticize him incessently. Keep in mind, even the professionals who work in their respective NFL team personnel departments have on occasion misjudged some talent. It's not an exact science, but I think Kiper has done a great job of reporting the pros and cons of prospects, and providing a viewpoint that can be enlightening and entertaining.

But the original question is a good one. Who do you like? Who in the sports commentating world is universally held in high regard? Seems everyone outside of Van Miller has been the victim of TSWs insults.

Agree, Johnson is probably the smartest. He knew how to win ("cheat") as a coach and he knows a good team when he sees one. I remember a few years ago, when someone on the Fox crew thought the Bills would make the playoffs, he just said

"with a second-year quarterback?" (meaning JP) and you knew it would be another long year. He is the analyst I would put my money on picking games.

As for analysts who know theXs and Os, I'll go with Jaws.

By the way, I would take either guy as our next head coach.