If Trent goes down with an injury, we are literally SOL as of right no

I'm a Bills fan, but still, there was about four or five games last year, in the middle of the season, where I wished we'd had Fitzpatrick in there. Why worry about number two, when we don't know how good number one is yet? I'll give Edwards all the benifits possible, and say that he could have a really good year this year and be great. Bill Walsh had faith in him, and that's enough for me, because Bill Walsh was tremendous at finding and coaching QB's. The one thing Fitz has is intelligence, and that goes a long way in this league. If he has to come in and play for an extended period of time, at least he's smart enough to have learned where to throw the ball. Hamden, on the other hand, scares me as a backup. He has never looked that good to me, and seems way too skinny and small to be a legit NFL QB. I may have biases there, but he doesn't look the part, ever.

We've gotta learn what we have in our number one before we can start lamenting our number two. Let's hope Trent gets it all this year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0 but I am willing to give him a chance to try and improve now that he has a few extra targets.

You willing to give Hamden that same chance?

You sure are down on him for somebody who's never seen him play a game.....

SKOOB, are there any other disaster scenarios you'll be posting on? Earthquake swallowing team whole? Asteroid hitting RWS? Lake Erie tidal wave?

PTR

Is Trent potentialy getting injured such a stretch?

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.
Relax Fitz is a better Qb that Edwards

I disagree. True, we've only seen Hamden in preseason, but he has looked good. Fitz has some real NFL experience now and I have full confidence in him, too. I wouldn't rate the backup situation as ideal, but I wouldn't rate it as dire, either -- not by a long shot. In fact, I think there are many teams who would like to have our backups on their roster.

LOL -worst post of the month winner right here. You have full confidence in fitz....lolololololololololololololol

Am I saying Fitz is another Frank Reicht? Of course not, but he is still an unknown. He played behind a crappy O-line in Cincy and still somehow managed to win 4 games, so I say we really don't know what exactly he is capable of yet. Another year of experience and a good O-line (which I really do believe we have here in Buffalo), then who knows how well he may do. Also, the guy is extremely intelligent and that's a huge plus.

I also like Hamden a lot. I think he has really impressed in his preseason opportunities. He's been a great teammate to Edwards, takes his role seriously and prepares well. He also is very familiar with the system having been in it for a couple of years now. Likewise, I think Fitz understands his role on the team and will be there in a positive way to support Edwards.

I see the commonality. Neither the OL nor Hamdan has taken a single NFL snap for the Bills. But, I'll take Hamdan's one career 7 yard completion over his sack in 2003 (last time he was on an NFL field in a meaningful situation). Look out Patriots! Teams are quaking in their boots and super envious of the Chroisen One and Nasty Noobs up front no doubt.

As far as Fitzpatpatsack, he played most of last season and led the worst aerial game of any NFL team of all time. On the bright side, when your passing game sucks that bad there is plenty of blame fertilizer to spread on the field.

I don't think your comparison of Fitz to JP is a valid one.

JP has had much more opportunity to prove himself than Fitz has had, so that's why I don't think the comparison is all that valid.

JP has had about twice the amount of time that Fitz has had. That is to say, Trent will catch up to JP's game experience about two-thirds of the way through this year.

JP has also had about half of the playing experience that Eli Manning had when he finally pulled it all together in the postseason of the 2007 season.

The point being that Fitz, JP, and Trent have all had considerably less experience than Manning needed. It's not a big surprise, then, that none of them is proven, and all of them seen inexperienced and inconsistent.

I know we all want to address the lines & Secondary but after thinking about it, we are well underserved at QB. I have 0 faith in Hamdan / Fitz helping us in a close game if need be. We have 0 behind Trent right now at QB. There is no Frank Reich to pull the greatest comeback in NFL history trick out of the hat, no gunslinger / threat. Our offense has been nearly inept for years, yet we continue to kid ourselves and think that the QB position is well filled. Dream a little dream, get a back up with some ability and that might actually be able to make other teams second guess what's coming, I want us to win.

Fitzpatrick started 12 games for the punchless Bengals last year. He threw for 8 TD's, and ran for 2, so he scored 10 TD's, and only threw 9 Ints. He completed a fraction under 60% of his passes for almost 2,000 yrds, and had a respectable 70 rating. It seems to me that although those numbers are nothing to get excited about, they are good enough to feel that Ryan could take over the team for 2 - 4 games, lean on an improved running game, and keep the Bills on track.

I am a Trent fan...and think he'll be pretty good. However right now he is no great shakes that one would think we were doomed if he went down. Hamdan has looked okay the little bit we've seen him, we have two very good running backs, receivers who get open. However right now we have a HUGE question mark offensive line. It is possible if this dangerous offensive line experiment fails that we will be wondering what to do after TE, Hamdan, AND Fitz go down.

Do ya think? We not only have maybe the worst backup QB in the NFL now, we signed him for big bucks on the first day fo Free Agency like he is the second coming of Joe Montana. The Bills have made some questionable moves, but this one mystifies me the most.