Eminem set to release "Relapse"...

Justice

The entire world except for you will pencil in Eminem as one of the greatest rappers that ever lived. I always had a feeling you were a little off your rocker, I'm glad I trusted my gut.

Did you know that everybody has different musical tastes? The music industry actually thrives on it. By the way, a few other people in this very thread agreed with me. I always had a feeling you were a pompous know-it-all, I'm glad I trusted my gut.

The entire world except for you will pencil in Eminem as one of the greatest rappers that ever lived. I always had a feeling you were a little off your rocker, I'm glad I trusted my gut.

One of the greatest rappers who ever lived?? Thats like being the greatest hot dog eater or the most prolific hooker.

Did you know that everybody has different musical tastes? The music industry actually thrives on it. By the way, a few other people in this very thread agreed with me. I always had a feeling you were a pompous know-it-all, I'm glad I trusted my gut.

Oh really? Tell me who else said he was overrated like you did.

not really. he was a great commercial success and was the first legitimate solo white rapper (props to MC Serch). and doing it on his own is impressive. well, on his own, if you dont count Dr Dre being a marketing genius.

but as far as versatility and lyrical content he's pretty lacking. and i bet if you pressed a lot of people in the industry, he doesnt even crack into the teens of a "Top 10 of All Time" list.

you cant even put him in the same class as a Rakim, KRS-One, Biggie, Pac, Jay-Z, Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli...

One of the greatest rappers who ever lived?? Thats like being the greatest hot dog eater or the most prolific hooker.

I'm guessing you are taking meds to get wood gramps. "Damn kids and their rap music. And don't get me started on that Elvis and his hips."

Do you know how stupid you sound? Anybody who is the greatest anything who ever lived is better than a dime-a-dozen message board hack like yourself. Especially when they've made more money than you'll ever see in your lifetime. What do you excel at? Whatever it is, I bet there's an unfathomable list of people who can do it better than you can. What a loser response... someone in a dark room of their house on a computer at midnight criticizing a person who came from worse than you and has advanced farther than you.

not really. he was a great commercial success and was the first legitimate solo white rapper (props to MC Serch). and doing it on his own is impressive. well, on his own, if you dont count Dr Dre being a marketing genius.

but as far as versatility and lyrical content he's pretty lacking. and i bet if you pressed a lot of people in the industry, he doesnt even crack into the teens of a "Top 10 of All Time" list.

you cant even put him in the same class as a Rakim, KRS-One, Biggie, Pac, Jay-Z, Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli...

Can you explain how he's lacking in versatility and content?

Can you explain how he's lacking in versatility and content?

same syncopatic delivery over and over. i respect that he has his own unique style. and im not questioning that he has talent. but you know the flow youre getting from him right away. its a sing-song, mother goose rhyming technique.

and his songs are a combo of drugs/celebrities/violence/his mom+gf. he has no real message. he doesnt really have anything to say. just a lot of talent to ramble.

thats my 12:30am explanation

same syncopatic delivery over and over. i respect that he has his own unique style. and im not questioning that he has talent. but you know the flow youre getting from him right away. its a sing-song, mother goose rhyming technique.

and his songs are a combo of drugs/celebrities/violence/his mom+gf. he has no real message. he doesnt really have anything to say. just a lot of talent to ramble.

Do you listen to any of his music?

You must have missed:

Guilty Conscience

If I Had

Role Model

Rock Bottom

Stan

The Way I Am

White America

Soldier

Say Goodbye

Sing for the Moment

Hailie's Song

Till I Collapse

Never Enough

Yellow Brick Road

Mosh

Mockingbird

Among many others.

Do you listen to any of his music?

:thumbsup: classic TBD response.

although i listened to him extensively in the early 2000s, obviously not as much as you. and that is where we are differing in this discussion. youre speaking as an Eminem fan, im speaking as a fan of hip hop in general.

ive already said he has a lot of talent, and is very witty and original. all ive disagreed on is whether he is one of the best ever or not. Top 20 or so is still a great accomplishment and i guess could be considered one of the best. especially given the vast number of sh------- rappers out there.

but there is a whole class of MC above him. and i wouldnt even put him in the top of his class. as far as witty, humerous MCs go, id rank Redman as the top and Eminem under him. there may even be a couple in between them, but im not pulling any good examples from the ol mind grapes right now.

im heading to bed, hope to continue this music discussion tomorrow.

youre speaking as an Eminem fan, im speaking as a fan of hip hop in general.

I'm pointing out flaws in your argument, not taking a side. That is a commonly held view at TBD and in society in general. People automatically assume that because you're attacking their argument, that you must not agree.

ive already said he has a lot of talent, and is very witty and original. all ive disagreed on is whether he is one of the best ever or not. Top 20 or so is still a great accomplishment and i guess could be considered one of the best. especially given the vast number of sh------- rappers out there.

but there is a whole class of MC above him. and i wouldnt even put him in the top of his class. as far as witty, humerous MCs go, id rank Redman as the top and Eminem under him. there may even be a couple in between them, but im not pulling any good examples from the ol mind grapes right now.

Eminem does much more for hip hop and culture than being witty or humorous. His ability with words, syllables and literary schemes are unprecedented. He brought literary techniques that Redman, and any other rapper before his time ever brought. A typical verse rhymes the last word in each sentence. That is the basis for a rhyme. If you're really good, you can have a scheme of rhymes that matches up two words, and if you can get three lined up in each sentence, you're a genius. I've found patterns in Eminem's verses where he strings together numerous lines where's he's rhyming up to 5 words in a sentence, with each sentence having the words line up perfectly, all while making sense of the content. Each time I read or listen, I'm finding new ideas or patterns in his lyrics that I never saw before.

Throw in there the fact that because he's white, and how he was instrumental in bringing rap to the suburbs. With the white population heavily outnumbering the black, he brought rap back into the mainstream because he brought it to the nation's majority. Rap had lost all of that after the early 90's run, and Eminem brought in listeners who never listened before.

All of that is part of what makes him one of the greatest of all time, not just a one category rank system.

I'm guessing you are taking meds to get wood gramps. "Damn kids and their rap music. And don't get me started on that Elvis and his hips."

I hope you aren't white. You probably have a license plate that says MACHO.

I am not sure the quality of rap has to be judged by its message. So much of it -- including many of greats that you mentioned -- basically rap about how great they are/how they get no respect/women/drugs/money/how some other rapper sucks.

if your a green day fan, find the foxboro hot tubs on your favorite download site...it is green day's alter ego and their cd 'stop, drop and roll' is very good

agreed on eminem, he's a very good rapper, very witty and his style is unique. i also agree that he's had only a few really good songs and the rest are ok. i dont agree on which songs, but thats not the point.

and i cant agree more on green day. one of my favorite bands. brought back the 2 minute song in the mid-90s. loved em from the beginning, loved em through the "its cool to hate green day" era. still love em.

but i wouldnt put green day and RHCP in the same generation. IMO, the generation is basically cut-off as pre-1992 and post-1992. Green Day is what the next generation was listening to in 1995 after everyone was done with RHCP/Jane's Addiction/Lollapalooza/Grunge scene of the early 90s. RHCP belongs to Gen-X since they came up in the 80s (since 84) and peaked in 1992. Green Day belongs to Gen-Next. Splitting hairs, but I'm bored :D

Do you know how stupid you sound? Anybody who is the greatest anything who ever lived is better than a dime-a-dozen message board hack like yourself. Especially when they've made more money than you'll ever see in your lifetime. What do you excel at? Whatever it is, I bet there's an unfathomable list of people who can do it better than you can. What a loser response... someone in a dark room of their house on a computer at midnight criticizing a person who came from worse than you and has advanced farther than you.

wow--a message board bully.-I'm sorry but I don't consider being a rapper a great accomplishment. I think it is much more worthy to be a physician or a nurse or someone who takes care of the disabled.-Rap millionaires have accomplished something-no doubt. Gotta give them credit. I just don't happen to think of it as a great accomplishment.

I hope you aren't white. You probably have a license plate that says MACHO.

What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, count me in the group that thinks Eminem is one of the best ever. He's never been a top 3 favorite of mine, but I have as much respect for him as any musical artist out there. Some of his commercial hits (My Name Is, Without Me, We Made You) have that annoying, funny feel to them - but his more serious songs are the ones that really define him. Lose Yourself, Stan, and The Way I Am, are some of the best rap songs I've heard.