Favorite stand-up comedian?

Justice

Anyone mention Bill Burr. I think I like him better than Brian Regan (who I also like).

Dana Gould is a comedian's comedian. He is constantly writing new stuff, and you almost never hear him use old material. Pretty impressive, but it makes for some uneven shows, IMO.

I really like Demetri Martin, and think his show is outstanding.

Most of the Comedians of Comedy are good, too.

Love Billy Burr. Great comic that doesnt get enough press.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone mention Bill Burr. I think I like him better than Brian Regan (who I also like).

Dana Gould is a comedian's comedian. He is constantly writing new stuff, and you almost never hear him use old material. Pretty impressive, but it makes for some uneven shows, IMO.

I really like Demetri Martin, and think his show is outstanding.

Most of the Comedians of Comedy are good, too.

Dana Gould..I remember him at the SF comedyshow(competition?) in GG park in the 80s. He stole the friggin show.

Wanda Sykes should get a mention. She always cracks me up.

Since you opened it up, I will say, Sarah Silverman is as smart/funny as a comedian can get...I think she is awesome. I must say, I don't love her tv show, but her stand-up is terrific. I know most here hate her, but I think she rocks! My first avatar! All those years ago...

Since you opened it up, I will say, Sarah Silverman is as smart/funny as a comedian can get...I think she is awesome. I must say, I don't love her tv show, but her stand-up is terrific. I know most here hate her, but I think she rocks! My first avatar! All those years ago...

I love SS...talented, beautiful..the whole package. I can't believe it took that long for her to really break into the big time. I've been a fan for many years. I don't think she is a great stand-up, though. Good, not great. Her appeal is certainly limited.

Maria Bamford is a pretty good stand up comic, IMO.

I love SS...talented, beautiful..the whole package. I can't believe it took that long for her to really break into the big time. I've been a fan for many years. I don't think she is a great stand-up, though. Good, not great. Her appeal is certainly limited.

Maria Bamford is a pretty good stand up comic, IMO.

I had a chance to see her do stand-up a few times (she doesn't do much of, anymore) and I really thought I was going to bust a blood vessel from laughing so much. I am not a huge fan of the musical things she does (sometimes funny, sometimes a little too low brow for my tastes, on their own). If you ever saw "Jesus Is Magic", just fast forward through the musical numbers, and the stand-up is pretty brilliant, I think. It's not always what she says, as much as the way she says it...

I had a chance to see her do stand-up a few times (she doesn't do much of, anymore) and I really thought I was going to bust a blood vessel from laughing so much. I am not a huge fan of the musical things she does (sometimes funny, sometimes a little too low brow for my tastes, on their own). If you ever saw "Jesus Is Magic", just fast forward through the musical numbers, and the stand-up is pretty brilliant, I think. It's not always what she says, as much as the way she says it...

I don't disagree with any of this. I saw her in SF a couple of times (and I have seen Jesus is Magic). I agree about the musical numbers, although some are OK.

I recently caught a Jim Jeffries standup specia on HBOl, and I don't mind admitting that this dude is flat out funny as hell. He's rude as sschitt, so if you don't think you can take the language, then move on. But this dude has some great material in the routine I watched.

I recently caught a Jim Jeffries standup specia on HBOl, and I don't mind admitting that this dude is flat out funny as hell. He's rude as sschitt, so if you don't think you can take the language, then move on. But this dude has some great material in the routine I watched.

I was going to post the same thing. When I first started watching I didn't think it was going to be my cup of tea. I don't care one way or the other about language, but a lot of comedians use it as a crutch and I generally don't like their act. I was laughing my ass off at this guy though. Crude as hell, but funny.