Fred Jackson, the modern day mature athlete....

VJ91

I have really come to admire Freddy. He is not afraid to voice his opinions, even when he has zero negotiating power. On the other hand, he is also mature enough to know when to back off, take a deep breath, and continue being a team player. He balked when the Bills were slow to offer him an extension when you knew he absolutely deserved it. He used his agent to "negotiate in the media" a little bit, when the agent whined how the Bills refused to reward the most deserving athletes.

Then he & the agent shut up and he reported for workouts. Next thing you know, he has his unconfirmed 4 year deal, for an unconfirmed 2 Mil per plus unconfirmed extra incentives. Here's what he said about the process: "The terms that we came to, we didn't quite agree on in the beginning," he said. "You can say there was some frustration at times, but I think that's part of the process. Today's the day it's over and done with and now we have to play football."

When you consider the degree of greed and selfishness all around Jackson in the NFL today, you can't expect a better attitdue then that, and it's obvious Jackson will now become a leader in the locker room. :thumbsup:

I have really come to admire Freddy. He is not afraid to voice his opinions, even when he has zero negotiating power. On the other hand, he is also mature enough to know when to back off, take a deep breath, and continue being a team player. He balked when the Bills were slow to offer him an extension when you knew he absolutely deserved it. He used his agent to "negotiate in the media" a little bit, when the agent whined how the Bills refused to reward the most deserving athletes.

Then he & the agent shut up and he reported for workouts. Next thing you know, he has his unconfirmed 4 year deal, for an unconfirmed 2 Mil per plus unconfirmed extra incentives. Here's what he said about the process: "The terms that we came to, we didn't quite agree on in the beginning," he said. "You can say there was some frustration at times, but I think that's part of the process. Today's the day it's over and done with and now we have to play football."

When you consider the degree of greed and selfishness all around Jackson in the NFL today, you can't expect a better attitdue then that, and it's obvious Jackson will now become a leader in the locker room. :thumbsup:

The NFL could use a million Fred Jacksons.

:thumbsup:

He has the first three games to showcase his talents I hope he just lights it up! I believe in Fred Jackson!

The backup RB is the new leader in the lockerroom? Wow--who is he replacing?

Why can't a back up player or special teams player also be a team leader? He will be replacing the young and immature Marshawn Lynch, in the starting lineup, for the first 3 games at least this season, to answer your question directly. (Not that anyone can consider Lynch much of a leader at this strange cross roads of his career.)

Do you remember the last great Buffalo Bills teams? Do you remember players like Mark Pike, Kenny Davis, Frank Reich, & Don Beebe? None of them were starters, but all of them were terrific team players and leaders.

Why can't a back up player or special teams player also be a team leader? He will be replacing the young and immature Marshawn Lynch, in the starting lineup, for the first 3 games at least this season, to answer your question directly. (Not that anyone can consider Lynch much of a leader at this strange cross roads of his career.)

Do you remember the last great Buffalo Bills teams? Do you remember players like Mark Pike, Kenny Davis, Frank Reich, & Don Beebe? None of them were starters, but all of them were terrific team players and leaders.

Great point, I agree.

To Fred Jackson getting his :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

He has the first three games to showcase his talents I hope he just lights it up! I believe in Fred Jackson!

Why? Showcase his talents to whom? The fans and the team know what he can do and he just signed a multi-year. Not sure what you mean. He is going to play a lot more than just the 1st 3 games.

His comments on the addition of T.O. also got me pumped:

At the very end of the session, Jackson was asked about the addition of Terrell Owens to the Bills’ offense, and his answer is brief, but telling. Jackson sheds some light on what those inside the Bills locker room may feel about their new teammate.

“Nobody is happier than I am about T.O. being here,” Jackson said. “It’s going to take a lot of pressure off of the running game. Safeties aren’t going to be able to stand in the box like they were. To combine him with Lee (Evans) is just going to do some tremendous things for our offense. I know, and I talked to Marshawn, he’s just as excited as I am, we’re happy about and we’re looking forward to playing with him.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/05/13/jackson-am...-play-with-t-o/

Why is it that you consider an employee who tries to get the highest salary he can to be greedy and selfish or not a "team player", whatever that means? Have you ever turned down a raise for the good of the team? Freddie isn't playing a game for kids, he is earning a living out there.

When Freddy's kids go to college, will the team be paying their tuition or Freddie?

His comments on the addition of T.O. also got me pumped:

At the very end of the session, Jackson was asked about the addition of Terrell Owens to the Bills’ offense, and his answer is brief, but telling. Jackson sheds some light on what those inside the Bills locker room may feel about their new teammate.

“Nobody is happier than I am about T.O. being here,” Jackson said. “It’s going to take a lot of pressure off of the running game. Safeties aren’t going to be able to stand in the box like they were. To combine him with Lee (Evans) is just going to do some tremendous things for our offense. I know, and I talked to Marshawn, he’s just as excited as I am, we’re happy about and we’re looking forward to playing with him.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/05/13/jackson-am...-play-with-t-o/

That will only matter if we send out WR's on patterns deeper than 7 yards and if Trent actually throws to them.

Fred Jackson signs = who outside of Buffalo cares

Didn't know we were concerned about anyone outside of Buffalo. What is the point of your statement? This is Bills news and why we are discussing it. If it bothers you, no one will be disappointed if you leave.

Lee Evans also was very professional and patient when dealing for his next contract.

Peters on the other hand....

Evans was already, as a high first round pick, making a ton and the team negotiated with him from the get-go. Evans was also not exactly setting the league on fire.

They made Evans the third highest paid receiver in the league despite the fact that he finished 19th in yards, 33rd in receptions and 61st in TD's. The year before he was 45th in catches, 32nd in yards and 36th in TD's. With performance like that, I can see why he was perfectly happy with that contract. Peters' situation was entirely different. I just don't get how easily people villify the guy and give the front office a pass given the mediocrity that front office has, year in and year out, produced on the field. Where is the outrage over guys like Schobel, Kelsay and Evans whose performance on the filed is waaaaaaay below what they are getting paid?

At least this year people will have to blame someone else for what happens rather than hanging all their anger on what was our only pro bowler.

Evans was already, as a high first round pick, making a ton and the team negotiated with him from the get-go. Evans was also not exactly setting the league on fire.

They made Evans the third highest paid receiver in the league despite the fact that he finished 19th in yards, 33rd in receptions and 61st in TD's. With performance like that, he can see why he was perfectly happy with that contract. Peters' situation was entirely different. I just don't get how easily people villify the guy and give the front office a pass given the mediocrity that front office has, year in and year out, produced on the filed but, then again, I am not much for kool-aid. Where is the outrage over guys like Schobel, Kelsay and Evans whose performance on the filed is waaaaaaay below what they are getting paid?

At least this year people will have to blame someone else for what happens rather than hanging all their anger on what was our only pro bowler.

Sometimes players need to be locked up in anticipation for the future. Evans is exactly that case. If you can't watch his game, and see that he'd be a top 5 WR with Manning/Brady, then I can't really help you.