White guy suspended for calling himself African-American

Fingon

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - A former student claims in a lawsuit that the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey discriminated against him for the way he described his background in classroom discussions on cultural diversity.

Paulo Serodio said that in 2006, he told a professor and classmates that he was "white, African, American," which he says accurately reflects the fact that he was born in Mozambique but later became a U.S. citizen.

He said some classmates and staff members at New Jersey Medical School found it offensive that a Caucasian man would call himself "African-American" and that the fallout led to harassment and eventually his suspension from the school.

Serodio, who lives in Newark, said some school employees and students told him not to describe himself as "African-American." In the aftermath of his comments, Serodio said, flyers were hung around the school mocking him, he was assaulted and his car was vandalized.

His lawyer, Gregg Zeff, said Serodio eventually was suspended for "conduct unbecoming" a student.

It's amazing how ridiculous the PC machine is.

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news...criminated.html

Just goes into all the hooey of our social-construct astoundingly weak definitions of 'race' and our consideration of how important 'race' is. Then, the changing terminologies --- thanks to Jesse Jackson --- of what words describing 'race' ("Black" vice "African-American") are acceptable, then deemed patently offensive, then deemed preferable again in the span of 40 years.

Technically, he's correct. Their beef with him is that he violated the spirit of the goings-on. They could have avoided that by asking a better-worded question of what they really want to know --- the big, fat matzo ball of "What color is your skin?" Everyone wanted/wants to dance around the heart of the matter.

It's amazing how ridiculous the PC machine is.

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news...criminated.html

Conversely, a few years ago when Algerians were rioting in Paris, some asshat American reporter questioned a French official about their problems with "African Americans".

"Uh, they're not Americans, they're French."

"But they're black, right?"

"Yes."

"So they're African-Americans..."

I also recall a story a few years ago largely the same as this one about a South African girl, emigrated to the US, who lost a "Why I'm proud to be an African-American" essay contest because, even though she was far more African than ANYONE else in her class, she didn't have the skin to prove it.

:thumbsup: Stupidity abounds.

Technically, he's correct. Their beef with him is that he violated the spirit of the goings-on. They could have avoided that by asking a better-worded question of what they really want to know --- the big, fat matzo ball of "What color is your skin?" Everyone wanted/wants to dance around the heart of the matter.
Or even more basic: How much financial aid are you qualified for?

The true question should be 'when does it end'? We've got a black President. His election demonstrated once and for all that a person with the right genetic gift of intellegence and an ample amount of determination can be whomever or whatever they want to be in this great nation of ours.

His first action in office should have been to repeal all affirmative action programs.

MLK's dream has been realized, when will we wake up and see this?

Don't you all realize this is because America hates white guys? I mean, who is looking out for them? It's important to have someone to blame for (place your problem/issue here).

Yuck it up, but, what's really the issue is How long are we going to continue with an outdated view of "race"? How long are we going to continue to treat select groups as different from everyone else where we all are obliged to check the little boxes of what sub-category we 'belong' to, as if we're checking off traits in a Linnaeus system classification?

Not that "race" is really going to stand for too much longer. I think we're all going to be pretty shocked by what the 2010 Census says about this country and how much things have changed. Not only are the demographics changing, mixing and melanging... the attitudes about race are eroding. Scientifically, DNA analysis which shows that we are all a complete mix of "races." Younger generations are replacing the older and bringing totally different experiences and viewpoints.

Why can't we really be colorblind and judge people solely "on the content of their character"? It may not be a perfect start, but fer chrissake we need to start. 'Will we burn in heaven like we do down here? ... Is there peace in the struggle to find the road to peace?' Well, people, Nov. 4 2008, we seem to have found pavement. Time for every man, woman and child to start walking for themselves. There are no excuses anymore. While we should all help each other along as we'd like to be helped, no one should be getting special privileges b/c of the color of their skin or what someone's great-grandfather did to someone else's great-great-grandfather.

Conversely, a few years ago when Algerians were rioting in Paris, some asshat American reporter questioned a French official about their problems with "African Americans".

"Uh, they're not Americans, they're French."

"But they're black, right?"

"Yes."

"So they're African-Americans..."

I also recall a story a few years ago largely the same as this one about a South African girl, emigrated to the US, who lost a "Why I'm proud to be an African-American" essay contest because, even though she was far more African than ANYONE else in her class, she didn't have the skin to prove it.

:thumbsup: Stupidity abounds.

Beat me to it, Tom. I remember reading about that . . . :thumbsup: