The Herd

major

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in particular did he say that wasn't EXACTLY true? Prior to his signing, 99.7% of Bills fans didn't want him anywhere near the team. Now that he's signed homer nation thinks it's a brilliant move.

TO is an amazing player but he carries more baggage than a cruise ship.

Nice to see that the 4th grade trend continues. Saying something positive about the Bills = brilliant journalism. Saying something negative = insufferable hackery.

Besides running his mouth and not being able to count pills...what is this baggage he brings? Suspensions? Physical altercations in the locker room? Under playing in a game? Nope...but other players on the team with those issues have been lauded while everyone takes a crap on the loud mouth showboat (who just so happens to have more career wins than the Bills in the past 15 years)...I'll take this baggage

Has 141 total touchdowns (139 receiving), 14,122 receiving yards, 951 receptions, and 183 rushing yards[35]

Averaged one touchdown per game in 2001, 2004, and 2007[35]

Has had nine 1,000 yard seasons, including five consecutive (2000–2004)[35]

Holds NFL record 20 receptions in a single game against the Bears[36]

Reached 100 catches in only 14 games in 2002[35]

Led League in receiving touchdowns in 2001, 2002, and 2006[37]

Second all-time in receiving touchdowns behind Jerry Rice[38]

I live in Dallas and I agree with the majority of posters, Cowhead is unlistenable (if that's a word). He reminds me of a slightly tamer version of Skip Bayless (another douche). Skip would always throw out statements for "shock value" and then try to agrue for the contrary side of the arguement. I absolutely refuse to listen to him.

Colin loves ripping towns like Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, and basically any town without glitz and glamour. I've heard him talk about the "Hall of Fame QB class of 83" without mentioning Kelly's name. He's become very predictable and very difficult to listen to any longer.

Cowherd is feast or famine for me. I enjoy alot he has to say, think he can be funny and relevant. He goes too far alot and beats topics to death, and as a Buffalo fan he ticks me off with his uninformed views on the town. He also thinks he's too cool for school and that can get on your nerves (especially for a fantasy football guy). He must be doing something right, cause he gets paid good money to talk about sports for a living on a national radio show. Not too shabby.

Cowherd is feast or famine for me. I enjoy alot he has to say, think he can be funny and relevant. He goes too far alot and beats topics to death, and as a Buffalo fan he ticks me off with his uninformed views on the town. He also thinks he's too cool for school and that can get on your nerves (especially for a fantasy football guy). He must be doing something right, cause he gets paid good money to talk about sports for a living on a national radio show. Not too shabby.

What he does right is he is a tool for ESPN. He never says anything out of line or edgy. Did you ever notice that whatever he talks about is pretty much whatever is on sports center. The higher ups like him because he follows their blue print and its cheaper to syndicate him nationally than provide local radio that might get higher ratings but would cost more. He is just a dumping ground for ESPN radio to avoid local content.

The only thing he seems to know is College Football. Other than that he is just a dick who got really lucky. All that he can do is be a loud mouth who draws just enough attention.

I was listening to the Herd on ESPN radio about 40 minutes ago. On it, Collin Cowherd was ripping the Bills for signing TO. He was saying in part because of the VH1 cameras that will be following TO around our voluntary mini camps next week. Collin said that the circus was coming to Buffalo and the only thing that is left behind at a circus is hay and a huge pile of elephant crap. He said this is what Buffalo would realize it got after this year with TO. He went even further to say that Dick Jauron will not be able to control this guy and that Belechick would have never brought in TO. He had a good time ripping Buffalo and TO in particular.

This comes from the same idiot who has preached for two years that the Buffalo Bills are largely irrelevant. He wasn't talking about wins and losses, he just stated they had no stars, or no one to talk about, and it's simply Buffalo, so no one cares. So, now he rips us for being relevant. Nice.

Belicheck would have never brought in TO, but yet, he got Randy Moss at a time where Moss was a quitter and headcase. Yeah OK Colin, brilliant.

Lastly, I have no beef with anyone ripping Jauron. After all, would could he be praised for?

I was listening to the Herd on ESPN radio about 40 minutes ago. On it, Collin Cowherd was ripping the Bills for signing TO. He was saying in part because of the VH1 cameras that will be following TO around our voluntary mini camps next week. Collin said that the circus was coming to Buffalo and the only thing that is left behind at a circus is hay and a huge pile of elephant crap. He said this is what Buffalo would realize it got after this year with TO. He went even further to say that Dick Jauron will not be able to control this guy and that Belechick would have never brought in TO. He had a good time ripping Buffalo and TO in particular.

making Jauron leave is worth the 6 mil

I live in Dallas and I agree with the majority of posters, Cowhead is unlistenable (if that's a word). He reminds me of a slightly tamer version of Skip Bayless (another douche). Skip would always throw out statements for "shock value" and then try to agrue for the contrary side of the arguement. I absolutely refuse to listen to him.

Skip Bayless is another dick who should not be employed by anyone let alone ESPN. Seriously all he does is be super critical of player which would be good if he could back that up with logic instead of using anecdotal evidence he says stuff like I say him miss a shot and look tired so he sucks. And I don't know what sport he knows anything about. He portrays himself as a basketball expert but some of the things he says are just so stupid.

Bayless can't even follow the puck in hockey and once again denounces Sabermetrics for no reason other than they are thinking too much. And his opinions in football are O.k. but he doesn't say anything original and there are way too many good football personalities out there to waste time on him.

Cowherd had a very quick mind for saying witty things. He's sometimes right and sometimes wrong. I don't have as quick a mind when it comes to saying witty things. Sometimes I'm right when I express an opinion. Sometimes I'm wrong. My record might be a match for Cowherd's. I'm not trembling in my shoes because Cowherd said signing TO was a mistake.

Cowherd is really going out on a limb with that take. T.O. compared to a circus? DJ won't be able to control him? Belicheck would never have signed him? No way, no way and no way What' next, is Mike Shoop going to accuse Russ Brandon of bringing in T.O. just to sell more tickets? Wow. It really must take a higher level of intelligence to get your own sports talk radio show these days. I'll bet Cowherd finished off his rant about T.O. and the Bills by predicting the Bills will finish 7-9-0, right?

Who cares what these talking heads say? T.O. got his TD's for Dallas last season, and if he gets his TD's for Buffalo this season, he will be worth every cent, every VH1 camera shot, and every bit of elephant crap he leaves behind.

Cowherd is really going out on a limb with that take. T.O. compared to a circus? DJ won't be able to control him? Belicheck would never have signed him? No way, no way and no way What' next, is Mike Shoop going to accuse Russ Brandon of bringing in T.O. just to sell more tickets? Wow. It really must take a higher level of intelligence to get your own sports talk radio show these days. I'll bet Cowherd finished off his rant about T.O. and the Bills by predicting the Bills will finish 7-9-0, right?

Who cares what these talking heads say? T.O. got his TD's for Dallas last season, and if he gets his TD's for Buffalo this season, he will be worth every cent, every VH1 camera shot, and every bit of elephant crap he leaves behind.

Excellent post!

What did he say that you weren't expecting, OP?? I'm shocked more people haven't jumped on the "circus bandwagon".... who cares?? Besides, it's on VH1. Who else besides Bills fans will be tuning in to watch??

It's a gap filler story that most radio/TV guys are running with because Football news is becoming hard to come by now that the draft is over. We all knew the majority of the media would give us a hard time for signing the guy, let it happen. If T.O. goes off the deep end in week 4 and punches DJ out then everyone can tell us they told us so....... I'll take that over another debacle like last year!!

Besides running his mouth and not being able to count pills...what is this baggage he brings? Suspensions? Physical altercations in the locker room? Under playing in a game? Nope...but other players on the team with those issues have been lauded while everyone takes a crap on the loud mouth showboat (who just so happens to have more career wins than the Bills in the past 15 years)...I'll take this baggage

Has 141 total touchdowns (139 receiving), 14,122 receiving yards, 951 receptions, and 183 rushing yards[35]

Averaged one touchdown per game in 2001, 2004, and 2007[35]

Has had nine 1,000 yard seasons, including five consecutive (2000–2004)[35]

Holds NFL record 20 receptions in a single game against the Bears[36]

Reached 100 catches in only 14 games in 2002[35]

Led League in receiving touchdowns in 2001, 2002, and 2006[37]

Second all-time in receiving touchdowns behind Jerry Rice[38]

TO is not even close to the same player he was when he was getting those numbers. He had less than 40 yds in half of the games last year, and he was surrounded by more talent. He is another year older and will turn 36 this year, so do you expect him to be better this year??? If he was a non-factor in half of the games last year and he's just another year older, it's reasonable to expect him to be even less effective this year. When this happens, TO and his dirtbag character will be in full effect. TO is becoming an average WR, and that is going to drive him crazy.

Cowherd is just really annoying---the guy comes up with this off the wall zany stuff that he thinks makes him so smart, but in reality it just makes him an idiot---perhaps he and Schopp can get together and host a show so they can both feel intellectually superior at the same time amongst their callers...

the problem with cowherd:

*He has an awful track record of making predictions. I still recall how he said that Nick Saban is going to be the next Belichick and he would stake his reputation on him winning a Super Bowl within 5 years.

*He tends to ride waves. you don't hear colin cowherd breaking ground in the realm of ideas. And you don't hear him say something about the game or its players that hasn't already been said.

So, I'd be more concerned if Cowherd was praising our offseason and predicting an AFC Championship.

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio...have for years. I must say, I think Cowherd is the worst I have ever heard, on a national level.

The worst, IMO:

#1- Colin Cowherd (ESPN- simply the worst- which says a lot!)

#2- Todd Wright (overnight on ESPN for years, now on Sporting News Radio)

#3- Jason Smith (ESPN canned Wright, to replace him with this? Great...)

#4- David Stein (Sporting News Radio- all schtick, no substance, the ultimate weekend fill-in guy...the originater of such gems as "winner winner chicken dinner" which the pinheads at ESPN have stolen...Stein sucks, leave it to ESPN minor leaguers to pick up Steins' "bang"

#5- Jim Rome (syndicated- just a style thing I guess, he does decent interviews, but the rest of his show is unbearable)

#6- Dan Patrick (former ESPN, now Fox Sports Radio- like Rome, he is not completely without merit, but he just talks about himself way too much, to be entertaining, or informative...too many inside jokes, way too self loving for my taste!)

#7- Jim Valvano (weekend overnight guy on ESPN- sure he is a hell of a nice guy, but he has been doing the same tired show for years, doesn't have an interesting opinion on anything)

TO is not even close to the same player he was when he was getting those numbers. He had less than 40 yds in half of the games last year, and he was surrounded by more talent. He is another year older and will turn 36 this year, so do you expect him to be better this year??? If he was a non-factor in half of the games last year and he's just another year older, it's reasonable to expect him to be even less effective this year. When this happens, TO and his dirtbag character will be in full effect. TO is becoming an average WR, and that is going to drive him crazy.

Really? Less then 40 yards in half of his games, huh? Yet he averaged over 15 yards per catch, and scored 10 TD's. Lee Evans, in the absolute prime of his career, averaged just over 16 yards per catch, and scored all of 3 TD's.

Now, try to follow me here. Evans biggest problem was having no decent alternative WR for Edwards to throw to. Enter 35 or 36 year old Owens, (every time someone posts negative about T.O., he seems to get older) and even you have to admit that should free the young talented Evans up for a more productive season, and the Bills should still get at least 5 to 6 TD's from Owens himself, if he stays healthy.

Colin loves ripping towns like Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, and basically any town without glitz and glamour. I've heard him talk about the "Hall of Fame QB class of 83" without mentioning Kelly's name. He's become very predictable and very difficult to listen to any longer.

:thumbsup: Excellent point.

These radio sports heads can be just as egotistical as the athletes they talk about, and Cowherd is one of the most egotistical. If the Buffalo Bills had no super stars, and had just finished up a boring 6-10-0 season, and then Ralph passed away, the team was sold to a group who moved the team out to Los Angeles, all of a sudden those exact same below average players and boring team would all of a sudden become cool and relevant to talk about every day on his show.

The one radio show I enjoy listening to and really find no traces of egomania running amok, is Mike & Mike. The two guys play off eachother with much more light hearted comedy and at the same time have much more intelligent sports takes then most of the others.

People hate Colin because he tells you how it is. You might not agree what he says but that is Normal. I find him off the wall a bit but he does know what he is talking about and has been correct in a lot of his statements after the fact.