Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it bad for me to talk about that game?

I did not say it was bad for you to talk about that game. I was referencing the fact that you said Tasker and the Bills were confident they were going to crush the Saints because of the weather and then went on to lose the game. That's all.

The difference with those teams isn't that they practice inside or outside.

The difference is they have great players.

But Tim with the likes of all these "potential" ProBowl players how is it that the Bills havent won every SuperBowl in the last 10 years? I mean it must be because they dont want it bad enough right? or that we dont practice outdoors? or that our coaching stinks? or that insert excuse here? Sorry. I will stop with my sarcasm.

When you look at the talent level in Buffalo from a player standpoint and from a coaching standpoint could you rank us in comparison to the rest of the NFL. For example- The Bills offense as it stands is 20-25 in the league or something to that effect.

I believe that many fans on this site as would be expected vastly overrate the Bills and put unrealistic expectations on the team with so many variable question marks. I see a team that has taken a few steps forward but a team that is still not playoff ready. What is your take?

I did not say it was bad for you to talk about that game. I was referencing the fact that you said Tasker and the Bills were confident they were going to crush the Saints because of the weather and then went on to lose the game. That's all.

That's what you learn when you click on the link I attached.

But Tim with the likes of all these "potential" ProBowl players how is it that the Bills havent won every SuperBowl in the last 10 years? I mean it must be because they dont want it bad enough right? or that we dont practice outdoors? or that our coaching stinks? or that insert excuse here? Sorry. I will stop with my sarcasm.

When you look at the talent level in Buffalo from a player standpoint and from a coaching standpoint could you rank us in comparison to the rest of the NFL. For example- The Bills offense as it stands is 20-25 in the league or something to that effect.

I believe that many fans on this site as would be expected vastly overrate the Bills and put unrealistic expectations on the team with so many variable question marks. I see a team that has taken a few steps forward but a team that is still not playoff ready. What is your take?

What potential pro bowl players? You mean like lynch who went only because about 5 other guys bagged out first?

VA-

I even said I will now stop with the sarcasm... Wow

I wasn't being sarcastic. Lynch was I believe the 3rd or 4th reserve to the pro bowl. Peters was the only other guy the last few year to make the pro bowl. We have no pro bowl players on this roster.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Lynch was I believe the 3rd or 4th reserve to the pro bowl. Peters was the only other guy the last few year to make the pro bowl. We have no pro bowl players on this roster.

[/quote

Well thank you for restating my point. The entire paragraph was meant to be sarcastic.

"Robert Royal's butterfingers"....hmmmm.....I am hungry.

Tim--you said Pisa was visiting Philly, Philly paper says no. Any updates on what's going on?

Do you want us to form a posse and go after the infidel in Philly?

Schobel, 2006. Voted in, not selected as an alternate.

GO BILLS!!!

"Robert Royal's butterfingers"....hmmmm.....I am hungry.

Tim--you said Pisa was visiting Philly, Philly paper says no. Any updates on what's going on?

Do you want us to form a posse and go after the infidel in Philly?

The source who told me Philly would know. I'll let you know if I hear differently.

It seems fairly simple to me as well. You're an outdoor team, playing in a city notorious for its bad weather and tricky winds - you have to practice outside to become accustomed to that. But, you'd want to have some practices indoors to work on the details of your game plan. Seems, easy. Mix it up. You get the best of both worlds; more experience playing in the elements and the benefit of finely tuning your game plans in a controlled environment.

Exactly. IMO, practicing outside all the time offers you opportunities to address all possible game conditions. Changing between outside and inside I can accept as an alternative method, but I honestly think practicing outside covers it all. If you have to practice a particular aspect of the game plan that is not doable given the current weather conditions, then you move inside.

If the Bills want to teach the rookies during the OTA's, and think the controlled conditions of the indoor facility works best, fine. I really don't have an issue with that. But at some point in time, they need to be comfortable running the offense in variable conditions. They need to be prepared for whatever comes their way. Always preparing indoors doesn't make the grade, IMO.

As I said earlier, tell it to the Steelers, who work outdoors almost all the time. Tell it to the 10th Mountain Division of the Army that trains in bad weather in the mountains of NYS. Do they train indoors because they want "to execute" when they know they might have to execute in inclement weather? NO! That would be stupid.

Tim, comparing the Bills, who play many games in bad weather, to the Fins, who may play two, is irresponsible. What do the Packers do? What do the Steelers do? What do the Bears do? Truth is, I don't know. I will be surprised if more than one of them practices inside as a rule.

It has nothing to do with shying away from something that's "hard to do."

It's a careless use of valuable time. The CBA spells out specifically how much time a team can be on the field. You don't while away quality practice time on the if-come.

I can understand how Bills fans want their players to be Arctic badasses. It's easy to embrace that blue-collar, "Welcome to Buffalo, suckers!" mentality. But it's totally illogical to inflict the elements on your practice time for a slight POTENTIAL edge.

The Dolphins practice in 80 degrees every week. They won several key games in the cold late in the season. Any edge is negligible -- and that's IF the weather is bad on Sunday.

Actually it IS shying away from what is hard to do, or they would simply play outside. Going inside has to have a purpose, and if it is just as simple (not hard) to do what you can do outside as it is inside, there is no reason to move inside. Pretty much by definition it is moved inside because it is harder to to outside.

And, I disagree the advantage is "slight". The philosophy of "What's too tough for them, is just right for us" proved to be a major advantage for Bills teams in the past. Look at the Dolphin's historic record outside in December. They have won games outside in the bad weather, but it isn't their legacy.

As I said earlier, tell it to the Steelers, who work outdoors almost all the time. Tell it to the 10th Mountain Division of the Army that trains in bad weather in the mountains of NYS. Do they train indoors because they want "to execute" when they know they might have to execute in inclement weather? NO! That would be stupid.

Tim, comparing the Bills, who play many games in bad weather, to the Fins, who may play two, is irresponsible. What do the Packers do? What do the Steelers do? What do the Bears do? Truth is, I don't know. I will be surprised if more than one of them practices inside as a rule.

You're comparing the Bills to the military. What's sillier?

The Dolphins won three critical games in bad weather: Denver, Kansas City and the Meadowlands in the season finale. Two of those three games they were underdogs.

I don't know what those other teams do either. But I do know the Patriots stay indoors.