T.O. after season one

SO the Bills have T.O. What does TO do after his first season if all works out? I know there could be a tremendous breakdown and Trent Edwards could end up like Romo and McNabb. But If it does work out, does he stay a Bill or move to some other direction America's Team?

If he plays well, the Bills do well, our prospects to go deep into the playoffs look good, and he's "feeling the love" from the Buffalo fans and organization, I say he comes back.

Owens helps more or less bridge the gap for Hardy or Johnson to develope. Hopefully one or both of those guys gets some playing time this year and starts to turn into a legit number 2. If this happens, then the Bills shake Owens' hand and say thank you for your services. They give him high recommendation to the rest of the league. But say we have two good young recievers, and Evans and Josh Reed. Plus hopefully Nelson has shown something by that time too. So Owens is a nice guy to have this year to keep the pressure off some of that young talent and help Edwards gain some confidence, and get Evans open more.

If he plays well, the Bills do well, our prospects to go deep into the playoffs look good, and he's "feeling the love" from the Buffalo fans and organization, I say he comes back.

It'll never happen. T.O. is the scorpion and the Bills are the frog. He knows he needs to rehabilitate his image to get an offer from a top team at the end of the season. He knows if he pulls the disruptive prima dona act he will throw away $50+ mil in future earnings. This will keep him relatively under control through mid season. BUT he is the scorpion and even if the Bills are his only chance to reach the payday at the end of the season, he will sting the Bills with his antics. The locker room will become a circus and the season will die a horrible death. HE'S A SCORPION, WHAT ELSE CAN HE DO?

If he plays well and actually helps Edwards figure out how to play QB in this league, I hope the Bills re-sign him for 2 more years.

IMO, as much as it appears that the Bills are trying to free up Evans and open up the passing game by signing TO, I trully believe that the Bills braintrust are also using this move to shake up and wake up Edwards. This is pretty much a do or die year for Edwards. He looked pretty decent for a few games last year but also looked absolutely abysmal for a number of games too. What better way to test the stones of a young QB than throw a veteran receiver into the mix. Obviously, Owens is well known to push his QB's to the limit, maximizing their potential, and this is something that Edwards does need to show that he can make it in the NFL. If the two fo them can click, the re-signing of Owens would be a no brainer for the organization, regardless of the cost.

It'll never happen. T.O. is the scorpion and the Bills are the frog. He knows he needs to rehabilitate his image to get an offer from a top team at the end of the season. He knows if he pulls the disruptive prima dona act he will throw away $50+ mil in future earnings. This will keep him relatively under control through mid season. BUT he is the scorpion and even if the Bills are his only chance to reach the payday at the end of the season, he will sting the Bills with his antics. The locker room will become a circus and the season will die a horrible death. HE'S A SCORPION, WHAT ELSE CAN HE DO?

I think the "circus" act is good at some points. Think about it, eating popcorn on the sideline, doing situps, loving himself. That's classic. Now destroying the team because you don't get enough passes, thats a sting. I don't think that problem will exist. Evans is the go long guy. Teams are still going to try and double him. He will beat most DBs solo. TO will get his catches and move the ball. We really need Nelson or another TE to step up and become another Metzalars.

I think the "circus" act is good at some points. Think about it, eating popcorn on the sideline, doing situps, loving himself. That's classic. Now destroying the team because you don't get enough passes, thats a sting. I don't think that problem will exist. Evans is the go long guy. Teams are still going to try and double him. He will beat most DBs solo. TO will get his catches and move the ball. We really need Nelson or another TE to step up and become another Metzalars.

Do you think T.O. will be satisfied with 100 possession type catches for the season? There's no glory in a 5 yd slant on your own 30. He wants ALL of the cheers and attention. That is what this scorpion feeds on. When he is starved for adulation he will do whatever it takes to get it.

Owens helps more or less bridge the gap for Hardy or Johnson to develope. Hopefully one or both of those guys gets some playing time this year and starts to turn into a legit number 2. If this happens, then the Bills shake Owens' hand and say thank you for your services. They give him high recommendation to the rest of the league. But say we have two good young recievers, and Evans and Josh Reed. Plus hopefully Nelson has shown something by that time too. So Owens is a nice guy to have this year to keep the pressure off some of that young talent and help Edwards gain some confidence, and get Evans open more.

great points.

Next Year

Evans in his prime, Josh Reed as a three.

Between Hardy, Johnson, Nelson, and Fine they're hoping for one stud. If they can get one with another emerging as a decent target- they'll be fine.

Owens' career is in it's twilight. No one is going to give him a $50+ million dollar contract for a guy who will be 36 by the end of next season. He likely will play 2 more years, at most, after this coming year. I also think the Bills were fully aware of what they were getting themselves into by signing him. It was mainly a PR move to sell tickets IMO. He's kinda like a prostitute this year and the Bills are pimping him out for his services on the field along his ability to help fill seats.

Do you think T.O. will be satisfied with 100 possession type catches for the season? There's no glory in a 5 yd slant on your own 30. He wants ALL of the cheers and attention. That is what this scorpion feeds on. When he is starved for adulation he will do whatever it takes to get it.

Do you not think the Bills fans are going to support this guy? Seriously? With all of the mediocre players we've cheered for over the past 10 years? Bills fans will be cheering every time he moves the chains, every time he shows emotion on the field in whatever form, and especially every time he puts points on the board. He may catch some short passes, we know Trent Edwards is the QB, but I'll bet he gets 10 TD's regardless.

Honestly TO only has one more good year left if that. I think he is going to give us one good year but than let him walk. At the beginning of next year TO will be 36. 36 come on even if TO was a saint over his whole carer he would still be due for a decline in production. And last year was not exactly his biggest year either. Take the year of TO and use it to develop Hardy as your number two threat for the 2010 season or Steve Johnson if he shows some flashes.

Owens' career is in it's twilight. No one is going to give him a $50+ million dollar contract for a guy who will be 36 by the end of next season. He likely will play 2 more years, at most, after this coming year. I also think the Bills were fully aware of what they were getting themselves into by signing him. It was mainly a PR move to sell tickets IMO. He's kinda like a prostitute this year and the Bills are pimping him out for his services on the field along his ability to help fill seats.

Do you not think the Bills fans are going to support this guy? Seriously? With all of the mediocre players we've cheered for over the past 10 years? Bills fans will be cheering every time he moves the chains, every time he shows emotion on the field in whatever form, and especially every time he puts points on the board. He may catch some short passes, we know Trent Edwards is the QB, but I'll bet he gets 10 TD's regardless.

You give a realistic estimate of 2 yrs left in him but I guarantee he thinks he'll be worth a 4 yr 10mil/yr contract with an option yr. I agree that it was a ploy to sell tickets and the fans will flock in to cheer him on. The only problem is that he's used to being the focus of attention in big media markets. He won't be satisfied being the big fish in a small pond. He wants the whole world to watch him. That's why I say the possession catches won't satisfy him, they don't make the sportscenter highlight clips. The sting of death will land him on sportscenter.

SO the Bills have T.O. What does TO do after his first season if all works out? I know there could be a tremendous breakdown and Trent Edwards could end up like Romo and McNabb. But If it does work out, does he stay a Bill or move to some other direction America's Team?

I asked Tim Graham if he was aware of any no-franchise-tag clause in Owens' contract. He seemed pretty sure that the Bills wouldn't include such a clause in the contract.

Owens is 36 years old. There is a scenario (and I'm not predicting this will happen) that Owens has an excellent year, the Bills and he are mutually happy, and the Bills franchise him for three reasons: to trade him, to keep him one more year as one of the highest paid receivers in the league, or to negotiate a career finishing 2-3 year contract with him. The above scenario is probably not likely but it appears the Bills have the leverage of the franchise tag. This is good.

He's 35 years old. How is he going to earn $50 million? He will be 36 when he gets a contract next year. Are you saying someone is going to give him a 2 year deal for $25 million per?

It was a weak attempt at satire, but no one is biting (no pun intended in regards to your scorpion references).

He's 35 years old. How is he going to earn $50 million? He will be 36 when he gets a contract next year. Are you saying someone is going to give him a 2 year deal for $25 million per?

It was a weak attempt at satire, but no one is biting (no pun intended in regards to your scorpion references).

If you would have read down to post #14 you would have had your answer before going off half cocked. BTW the original post was not satire; it was an analogy alluding to a parable.

Mamma always said "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" - Forrest Gump

If he plays well and actually helps Edwards figure out how to play QB in this league, I hope the Bills re-sign him for 2 more years.

IMO, as much as it appears that the Bills are trying to free up Evans and open up the passing game by signing TO, I trully believe that the Bills braintrust are also using this move to shake up and wake up Edwards. This is pretty much a do or die year for Edwards. He looked pretty decent for a few games last year but also looked absolutely abysmal for a number of games too. What better way to test the stones of a young QB than throw a veteran receiver into the mix. Obviously, Owens is well known to push his QB's to the limit, maximizing their potential, and this is something that Edwards does need to show that he can make it in the NFL. If the two fo them can click, the re-signing of Owens would be a no brainer for the organization, regardless of the cost.

I think the signing of Owens, if it has any positive affect, will be in giving Trent Edwards some confidence, and provide him a chance to develop his skills. I think anyone holding on to the notion that he will somehow make Hardy and Johnson a better receiver is kind of fooling themselves. If TO holds to form, those guys will not see much of the football, if Owens and Evans are healthy. Spreading the ball around too much, is what leads to TO's meltdowns... personally, while TO may make the Bills more entertaining to watch for a year, I don't see this team as being a serious playoff contender this coming season. This team would need a perfect storm (like every year) of a whole bunch of things going their way, to make a serious run at the playoffs.

I am wondering how far into his reality show it will be, before Owens takes a shot at Buffalo (whether it is subtle or obvious) before the fans turn on him. Just win games, and everything else solves itself...