Which sluggers(1970 on) didn't do steroids??

Tcali

Shrader, as fans of Baseball, we bear some responsibility for pushing it in this direction. The HR chase between Bonds, Sosa and McGuire drew fans back to baseball and we cheered each and every homerun. We were/are naive to think that there was nothing aiding the long ball, didn't matter, we, as fans, ate it up. The Players were simply trying to give the people what we were demanding....at any cost.....

I love how we have now reached the point of speculating over who DIDN'T use steroids. Way to go MLB and the players union.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone pointed out on the radio yesterday that Cal was roomies with Brady Anderson during Anderson's 1 monster season.....

you don't think the golden boy Cal Ripkin played that many games in a row without a boost along the way

add to the modern era guys who may not: Chipper Jones, David Ortiz (Naturally Big).. Old timers who had big HR careers who probably did not (adding to the previous lists): Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Reggie Jackson, Dave Winfield...

add to the modern era guys who may not: Chipper Jones, David Ortiz (Naturally Big).. Old timers who had big HR careers who probably did not (adding to the previous lists): Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Reggie Jackson, Dave Winfield...

I suspect Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid users. He never hit more then 20 HRs for Minnesota, got cut, signed by Boston, and then proceeded to average 42 a year the next 5 years. And now that roids are being tested, Big Daddy is not so clutch anymore. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and quacks like a duck- I say it's a duck

Shrader, as fans of Baseball, we bear some responsibility for pushing it in this direction. The HR chase between Bonds, Sosa and McGuire drew fans back to baseball and we cheered each and every homerun. We were/are naive to think that there was nothing aiding the long ball, didn't matter, we, as fans, ate it up. The Players were simply trying to give the people what we were demanding....at any cost.....

I can understand that point of view, but any responsibility of the fans is far outweighed by that of the league and the union.

I suspect Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid users. He never hit more then 20 HRs for Minnesota, got cut, signed by Boston, and then proceeded to average 42 a year the next 5 years. And now that roids are being tested, Big Daddy is not so clutch anymore. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and quacks like a duck- I say it's a duck

I tend to agree. Although being protected by one of the best hitters of all-time probably helped as well. It's one of the two...if not both.

..I think thats become the question.

My guess is that Frank Thomas didn't do them. Harmon Killebrew. Johnny Bench. Frank Robinson. Ryan Howard.

uhmmmmmm.............hmmmmm.......Willie McCovey...Hank Aaron...posssibly Jim Thome. I would say Will Clark but he was a borderline slugger.

I am all but certain that Thomas was a juicer. His head looked like a softball sitting on his his huge neck and body. I would also think that Thome was a big time juicer.

Maybe I'm just a skeptic.

And I'll add that I haven't followed baseball very closely all my life, but I would throw all my cash on Ryan Howard if I had to pick one masher who is definitely clean.

Furthermore, I think it's a shame (although I shed no tears) that the steroid stigma is almost exclusively cast upon the hitters. If any one position benefits most from steroids and HGH, it's pitchers. The reduced recovery time alone makes HGH a perfect fit for pitchers. And that's not even talking about the increase in strength and therefore velocity.

And I'll add that I haven't followed baseball very closely all my life, but I would throw all my cash on Ryan Howard if I had to pick one masher who is definitely clean.

Furthermore, I think it's a shame (although I shed no tears) that the steroid stigma is almost exclusively cast upon the hitters. If any one position benefits most from steroids and HGH, it's pitchers. The reduced recovery time alone makes HGH a perfect fit for pitchers. And that's not even talking about the increase in strength and therefore velocity.

seems like there were several 40 year old pitchers throwing 99 mph flameballs in the 90s and early 2000s

seems like there were several 40 year old pitchers throwing 99 mph flameballs in the 90s and early 2000s

Ryan, did he ever admit?? R. Johnson could be on that list.

What about Schilling?>? with the ankle injury and all.

Griffey's injury history

the big advantage of performance enhancing drugs is the avoidance and quick recovery from injury

that's why these abusers are still putting up huge numbers in their 40s.

you don't think the golden boy Cal Ripkin played that many games in a row without a boost along the way

Ripken, was probably clean. Steroids tend to cause a breakdown in the body as well with prolonged use. Hence why McGwire and Canseco were injured in the 90's and Giambi with the severe illness a couple years ago.

Steroids have a great job in building muscle mass and an equally good job in destroying the athlete's body. Generally the players that have played into their 40's were players started taking the roids in their 30's and not all along as their bodies would have likely shut down.

Ripken, was probably clean. Steroids tend to cause a breakdown in the body as well with prolonged use. Hence why McGwire and Canseco were injured in the 90's and Giambi with the severe illness a couple years ago.

Steroids have a great job in building muscle mass and an equally good job in destroying the athlete's body. Generally the players that have played into their 40's were players started taking the roids in their 30's and not all along as their bodies would have likely shut down.

Mostly agree....but let me correct you RE: McGuire. It is generally perceived that McGuire really got serious about juicing later in his career...AFTER and as a result of him having that chronic foot problem. He was out for a season and a half more or less...and recovered due to the starting or increasing the steroid doses. From then on it was 58 homers with Oakland and 60+ and 70 with St Louis. Early in his career Big Mac was a 33 HR guy w/ the exception of that 49HR rookie yr.

At age 39 the roids/wear and tear caught up with him and his low back went out.

It seems to me that Dave Parker should be on that list.

Interesting name you throw out there...and you may be right. But he is a strange case. His numbers actually went down as he went into his prime years...and many blame that on his drug abuse--not of steroids-- but of coke. He raised his game up a bit toward the end again. He is one of those guys who would have put up scary numbers if he were on the juice methinks.

Somebody help me out here... What do steroids actually help you with in regards to hitting? Is it bat swing/speed? One still has to "process" the pitch.

??

It turns long fly ball outs into home runs.