corner speculation

After seeing flashes of what Leodis is capable of at the end of last year, anyone think he could be our number 1 corner by years end?

Also, i wonder if youboty was scratching the surface of his potential at the beginning of last year, or if can improve into a starting corner in the future.

If reggie corner shows promise in camp and mcgee stays healthy, does Florence possibly get cut? I feel like were not going to be able to with how many times the bills will be facing 4/5 receiver sets.

Just thinking out loud..

After seeing flashes of what Leodis is capable of at the end of last year, anyone think he could be our number 1 corner by years end?

Also, i wonder if youboty was scrathing the surface of his potential at the beginning of last year, or if can improve into a starting corner in the future.

If reggie corner shows promise in camp and mcgee stays healthy, does Florence possibly get cut? I feel like were not going to be able to with how many times the bills will be facing 4/5 receiver sets.

Just thinking out loud..

I think Youboty was poised to be a big play maker...the switch flipped...but then, another injury.... the kid has to stay healthy.

Bills look to have 5 quality CB's this year. McGee is going to play like McGee has in the past. He will be a reliable starter. McKelvin, if he keeps improving could be a shut down CB or he could still be a disaster causing the Bills to lose a few games all by himself like he did last year. Another solid training camp is needed to see how he has improved. I like Youboty, when he is healthy. He needs to add some muscle is all. He has all the tools to be a starter. He has gotten off to a slow start in his career is all. Florence is another quality CB the Bills were fortunate to pick up. He could be a starter if McKelvin has early problems. Corner is the sleeper in the bunch. He is a instintive player and a solid 4th or 5th CB for the Bills. He will be around for a number of years. He was and is a solid draft pick for the Bills.

Picking up Byrd was a great move as the fans will find out. The safety position now has a 1st and 2nd round pick in those positions allowing the Bills defense to take a few more risks attacking the QB. If McKelvin turns out to be a shut down CB and McGee stays healthy the Bills secondary will be the strength of the league where passing attacks are over 50% of opponents offenses. The Bills will be in good shape. :devil:

I agree. IMO, DB is the Bills deepest position. I'd put us up against any team for quality players and depth. But, what will make them look like world beaters is heat on the QB. That, wasn't addressed nearly enough from my perspective.

Best way to rid a sniper? Rattle the rifle!

Youboty has been a quality corner in every game I have seen going back to his rookie season. He has always been great in run support which I really like. He has missed too many games to prove it though. I really hope he stays healthy this year and gets a new deal. He is more than capable of being a starter in 2010 if he plays like he can and McKelvin can improve too.

I agree. IMO, DB is the Bills deepest position. I'd put us up against any team for quality players and depth. But, what will make them look like world beaters is heat on the QB. That, wasn't addressed nearly enough from my perspective.

Best way to rid a sniper? Rattle the rifle!

Heat on the QB is addressed in 2 different ways actually.... 1st round draft choice, check, and Schobel's anticipated return to full health. Maybin is being worked out on the left side and with Schobel on the right....hmm, looks like a lot of potential pass pressure there. Here's hopin' anyway.

If McGee returns to being a shutdown corner and Leodis turns out to be a shutdown corner and Youboty stays healthy for more than 2 or 3 games in row and becomes a shutdown corner and Corner becomes a shutdown corner and Byrd becomes a shutdown corner who plays "safety"....let's see, that gives us, what---like 4 or 5 shutdown corners!!

Not to mention that our McCorners are as good as they come in the return game....I think Leodis was just scratching the surface last year, still learning our return scheme....he could be scary good this year!

Youboty has been a quality corner in every game I have seen going back to his rookie season. He has always been great in run support which I really like. He has missed too many games to prove it though. I really hope he stays healthy this year and gets a new deal. He is more than capable of being a starter in 2010 if he plays like he can and McKelvin can improve too.

I really like Youboty. He looks like a child, but the kid, in what limited action he has seen, looks like maybe the best tackler in the secondary, and is deceptively fast...reminds me a little of more wirey Antoine Winfield.

I think the Bills are going to make a tough decision here, and some other team will benefit from their cuts in the secondary.

I thought Youboty was the defensive MVP prior to him getting hurt. I hope he stays healthy and has a big year for our beloved Buffalo Bills. There will be a good player cut from this group. 1. Mcgee, 2. Mckelvin, 3. Youboty, 4. Corner.

5. Florence. If Drayton is the 5th CB does he make the team? Hope so, his depth would be valuable. I have been hard on Donte in many posting in the past. I hope with the added talent in the secondary he can shine and become a playmaker, if this happens our secondary will be very formidable.

Bills look to have 5 quality CB's this year. McGee is going to play like McGee has in the past. He will be a reliable starter. McKelvin, if he keeps improving could be a shut down CB or he could still be a disaster causing the Bills to lose a few games all by himself like he did last year.

When was he a disaster last year? He didn't play much on defense until 1/2 way through the season. and he seemed to make plays. please point out the games and plays where he was a disaster. i don'tremember this at all

Guest dog14787
Youboty may be the best CB open field tackler since Winfield. Time will tell.

He's a tackling monster you got that right, but he's one of them types of players that is so fearless you almost want to back him off a little, make him be a little more careful so he survives to play another day.

Ashton Youboty is one of my favorite players and I believe he has a huge up side, but Youboty has to stay healthy.

Guest dog14787
Sorry I do not see Youboty as anything but a capable backup or nickle. He has proven he can not stay on the field because of injuries.

Right, we send Youboty on CB blitzes constantly because we don't have a pass rush and then wonder why he gets injured.

The last 4 games Youboty played in he recorded 12 solo tackles a sack and a forced fumble which to me almost sounds like linebacker stats.

Ashton Youboty has also proved he's a force to be reckoned with when on the field.

Youboty needs to prove he can stay healthy, obviously. The problem is that I believe both he and McGee are free agents at the end of this year. If Youboty raises his game a level and can be relied on as a starter, we can afford to let McGee go and resign Youboty, although he would probably be wise to explore FA and see what his market is, too.

I expect him to be pretty good, but he could regress, and he could get hurt, and he might not get a ton of playing time if Florence proves capable of being the slot CB in nickel packages, which they are paying him 3+ million a year to do. Best case scenario is that McGee is solid and Youboty is healthy and continues his ascension and we re-sign one of the two of them before FA starts.

We have the money, and some of the Jason Peters savings would probably be wisely spent locking up our second starting corner. Florence is just a decent solid #3 veteran at this point. I don't think Reggie Corner is a starter in this league. McLovin should be our best CB by the end of the year. We will need to sign Youboty or McGee, or go into FA and the draft with Bill from NYC's head exploding.