Brad Butler! debate his merits at guard

I think Brad Butler is pretty mediocre at guard- I think he does a good job not allowing DTs to shot the gaps, an ok job pulling, can be bull rushed into the backfield by larger DTs, and gets almost no push in the running game- but this seems to be a less than a consensus opinion and it seems like a majority thinks highly of him, many in fact seem to think he's our best offensive lineman- detractor/supporter?

I think Brad Butler is pretty mediocre at guard- I think he does a good job not allowing DTs to shot the gaps, an ok job pulling, can be bull rushed into the backfield by larger DTs, and gets almost no push in the running game- but this seems to be a less than a consensus opinion and it seems like a majority thinks highly of him, many in fact seem to think he's our best offensive lineman- detractor/supporter?

Then you will not have to worry this year about his ability to play G.

He's going to be the RT this year.

Like a poster said above, he's better suited to RT but he's a good to above-average guard at this point. He plays with good leverage, especially for a guy his height, is good at pass-protect, and plays with a nasty streak. There are times when the better DTs get under him a bit, but he holds his own way more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

I really dont understand why people are knocking him.......he was our second best linemen when he was healthy.....

And he gives a @hit unlike a recently departed player who was thinking about his contract after he would give up a sack.

Honestly I like how the line is started to form......Butler is a mean SOB on the field.....and he has some other mean SOB's coming in to help him.

I literally envision us running the ball down peoples throats and that is with them stacking the box.......just grinding out yards until they run into the end zone.

How can anyone say he's better suited for RT? He came in as a tackle, and was so stiff, they had to move him into guard. Unless his footwork has drastically improved, he's going to get walked around all year long.

How can anyone say he's better suited for RT? He came in as a tackle, and was so stiff, they had to move him into guard. Unless his footwork has drastically improved, he's going to get walked around all year long.

Huh? I thought he got put into the guard spot early because we needed to replace someone there.

Exactly. And Butler is a very good RG. He is mean, nasty and a bit of a mauler. I really liked him next to Langston Walker. I hope we sign Levi just to keep that right side together. I thought they did a decent job.

I really dont understand why people are knocking him.......he was our second best linemen when he was healthy.....

And he gives a @hit unlike a recently departed player who was thinking about his contract after he would give up a sack.

Honestly I like how the line is started to form......Butler is a mean SOB on the field.....and he has some other mean SOB's coming in to help him.

I literally envision us running the ball down peoples throats and that is with them stacking the box.......just grinding out yards until they run into the end zone.

Stop it, John! I'm actually starting to tingle at the mere thought!

GO BILLS!!!

:devil: He also is on the upside of his career. He will be better this year than last year unless he gets nicked.

Exactly. And Butler is a very good RG. He is mean, nasty and a bit of a mauler. I really liked him next to Langston Walker. I hope we sign Levi just to keep that right side together. I thought they did a decent job.

Agree. I want to see Butler at RG next to Walker @ RT. Still think we sign a LT or go with what we have at LT (D-Bell), a less attractive option.

Agree. I want to see Butler at RG next to Walker @ RT. Still think we sign a LT or go with what we have at LT (D-Bell), a less attractive option.

I think you give the Butler at RT a shot, though, and see if he can be an effective starter there. I definitely have my doubts about Walker at LT, but give it time to gel- i think this is the best use of the Bills' personnel as it stands. Also, if worse comes to worse, you know how Butler can handle RT. If he's great, ie starter material, draft or sign a LT next offseason. Then, especially if the rookies and Hangartner are effective, you have a solid, young line that you keep together.

Butler is more suited for RT than guard anyways but he was clearly the 2nd best lineman last year. I for one think highly of him and can't wait to see him at tackle.

Butler's been injured both seasons he was a starter. He was practically given the RG job despite missing most of training camp 07. Playing well at RG does not translate into being a RT as there are different adjustments to make, and of course playing OT means seeing faster pass rushers.

The question is whether or not he can handle faster players. Many times college OT's move inside to OG when they need help and lack the agility to block faster DL on the outsie.

Moving players around, especially having essentially five new starters on the OL is a recipe for disaster.

You're right on. Notice how much the run game dropped off when Butler was out with his injury last year, and how it not- so-coencidentally was clearly better when he returned to the field. Besides possible Walker, Brad Butler was our most consistent, solid offensive lineman last season IMO.

best lineman on the team last year (when healthy)

Second-best. After the first few games anyway.

And I totally agree with the idea of keeping the Walker - Butler pair together on the right side. Which would mean that they would have to sign an LT like Levi.