Who Is The Best QB Of All Since 1979- Inspired By The Brett Favre Thr

The Best QB Since 1979  

95 members have voted

1. 1. IMO, the best QB since 1979 is....

• Joe Montana
    • John Elway
    • Brett Favre
    • Peyton Manning
    • Tom Brady
    • Troy Aikman
    • Dan Marino
    • Steve Young
    • Other - Not Jim Kelly -Please Explain Choice.
  2. 2. Gibran Hamdan Should Be On The List And...

• It's a crime he isn't!
    • You must be stupid for not puttting him on the list
    • C'mon it's obvious why he shoulda been on the list. 'Nuff said

Elway first and Marino second after that its not even close. Look at the Broncos teams he got to the Super Bowl in the 1980's their defense was good but not great and no where near good enough to carry a team and their offense was John Elway everyone else sucked. He carried a bad offense to the Superbowl three times and than when he got talent around him Rod Smith and McCaffrey and Terrel Davis as well as a good o-line he cashed in twice and put up the numbers.

Another player I want to put in as having one of the best four years of any qb ever is Donavon McNabb. In the earlier part of this decade he got a team that had no wide receivers and a good but not great defense to the NFC championship game three times and than once they got him TO he got to the SuperBowl and only lost by three points to a team that was probably cheating.

Just saying that when he had Duce Staley running the ball ( not terrible but mediocre ) and Todd Stinkson and Fredex (who sucked and there was no real tightend either) to throw the ball to. He powered his offense to near championship caliber despite not having any real skill position players. Eagles at that time did have an O-line so its not completely Elway like but just worth noting is all.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elway first and Marino second after that its not even close. Look at the Broncos teams he got to the Super Bowl in the 1980's their defense was good but not great and no where near good enough to carry a team and their offense was John Elway everyone else sucked. He carried a bad offense to the Superbowl three times and than when he got talent around him Rod Smith and McCaffrey and Terrel Davis as well as a good o-line he cashed in twice and put up the numbers.

Another player I want to put in as having one of the best four years of any qb ever is Donavon McNabb. In the earlier part of this decade he got a team that had no wide receivers and a good but not great defense to the NFC championship game three times and than once they got him TO he got to the SuperBowl and only lost by three points to a team that was probably cheating.

Just saying that when he had Duce Staley running the ball ( not terrible but mediocre ) and Todd Stinkson and Fredex (who sucked and there was no real tightend either) to throw the ball to. He powered his offense to near championship caliber despite not having any real skill position players. Eagles at that time did have an O-line so its not completely Elway like but just worth noting is all.

McNabb didn't even know a regular season game can end in a tie. He is the modern day version of Randall Cunningham. Good, but not great.

If Manning played in the other eras, he would be as good as he is now: Good but not the best. I base my opinions on watching game films and talking to the players who played with/against the quarterback.

Tittle would be top ten. Right now, I am undecided on who is number 5 on my list.

Oh that's how good he'd be? Thanks. So the players today who are faster than ever, lift insane amounts of weights, drink protein shakes, andro, creatine, steroids, etc., etc., do absolutely ridiculous conditioning programs from the day their seasons end, study game film like it's a graduate level course wouldn't maybe have an edge on the black and white players who boozed and smoked cigars the nights before games? If you're going relative to eras that's one thing, but don't tell me guys like Michael Vick, Shawn Merriman, Barry Sanders- absolute freaks wouldn't dominate 50 years ago, you're simply sensationalizing the days of yore.

If Manning played in the other eras, he would be as good as he is now: Good but not the best. I base my opinions on watching game films and talking to the players who played with/against the quarterback.

Tittle would be top ten. Right now, I am undecided on who is number 5 on my list.

Oh that's how good he'd be? Thanks. So the players today who are faster than ever, lift insane amounts of weights, drink protein shakes, andro, creatine, steroids, etc., etc., do absolutely ridiculous conditioning programs from the day their seasons end, study game film like it's a graduate level course wouldn't maybe have an edge on the black and white players who boozed and smoked cigars the nights before games? If you're going relative to eras that's one thing, but don't tell me guys like Michael Vick, Shawn Merriman, Barry Sanders- absolute freaks wouldn't dominate 50 years ago, you're simply sensationalizing the days of yore.

...and if Graham, Unitas, et. al. were playing today, they would be doing the same things as current players, giving them an even greater edge over the modern guys. It's fun living in a vacuum, isn't it?

For the choices given, John Elway. If there was ever a QB who would do whatever it takes to win, it was him. I think it's hard to find a situation where I would rule out the team that John Elway was on.

...and if Graham, Unitas, et. al. were playing today, they would be doing the same things as current players, giving them an even greater edge over the modern guys. It's fun living in a vacuum, isn't it?

It's so stupendous living in this tube, yes. But you're delving into extreme hypotheticals when you say, "well think of how good Otto Graham would be in 2009 if he lifted weights and drank protein shakes and was a modern conditioned athelete..." I can tell you with extereme certainty, however, that if Michael Vick played in the 1940's, people would think he wasn't even a human being. So let's just agree to compare players within their respective eras and move on, OK?

It's so stupendous living in this tube, yes. But you're delving into extreme hypotheticals when you say, "well think of how good Otto Graham would be in 2009 if he lifted weights and drank protein shakes and was a modern conditioned athelete..." I can tell you with extereme certainty, however, that if Michael Vick played in the 1940's, people would think he wasn't even a human being. So let's just agree to compare players within their respective eras and move on, OK?

So, it is only OK when you use extreme hypotheticals, huh?

You can do compare, as long as you live in reality. You compare the players against their peers withing that timeframe. You can then use that knowledge to compare across eras.

If you tossed one of the juiced-up athletes of today into the 1930s/40s, I can tell you exactly what would happen. Weight-lifting was discouraged at that time. If you did it, you would be shunned. If you take one of the athletes from today that trained under current methods and juiced up using the same supplements, you would see a bunch of the players gang up on him, break his legs and his career would be over. Remember, since you are playing under the rules of the 1930s/40s, you are allowed to touch the skirts of the quarterbacks. Vick/Brady/Manning would be broken in half in the first couple of series. Late hit? What's that? All of that training and supplements would be meaningless as they would be lying on the field in a bloody pulp. Then the game would resume as normal.

How good would todays players be if the needed to work other jobs because they got paid squat, have real everyday problems, no conditioning coach, Dick Butkus litteraly trying to kill them, rules that do not protect how they are tackled or hit, bit or kicked. Yes it is true if everything today was put up against anything from forty years ago today would win. A new mustang would go faster then an old T-bird but which would you rather have.

The post should be greatest quarterback since 1980. Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh and others deserve at least consideration with those listed. Greatest qb since 1980? Probably have to be Montana with Elway a close second. Neither one is the greatest qb of all time.

So, it is only OK when you use extreme hypotheticals, huh?

You can do compare, as long as you live in reality. You compare the players against their peers withing that timeframe. You can then use that knowledge to compare across eras.

If you tossed one of the juiced-up athletes of today into the 1930s/40s, I can tell you exactly what would happen. Weight-lifting was discouraged at that time. If you did it, you would be shunned. If you take one of the athletes from today that trained under current methods and juiced up using the same supplements, you would see a bunch of the players gang up on him, break his legs and his career would be over. Remember, since you are playing under the rules of the 1930s/40s, you are allowed to touch the skirts of the quarterbacks. Vick/Brady/Manning would be broken in half in the first couple of series. Late hit? What's that? All of that training and supplements would be meaningless as they would be lying on the field in a bloody pulp. Then the game would resume as normal.

OK Professor Football. So the 210 lb. defensive linemen from that era would be able to get past the 315 lb. offensive linemen of today to get to the qb? Point taken on the qb protection rules of the modern era.

OK Professor Football. So the 210 lb. defensive linemen from that era would be able to get past the 315 lb. offensive linemen of today to get to the qb? Point taken on the qb protection rules of the modern era.

Who says you are only rushing one on one? Who says that the rushing stops when the whistle blows?

All I am trying to say is that if you were to take a modern athlete and put them in a different era, you cannot assume that modern training techniques/supplements will translate. Just like you cannot assume that older players wouldn't train like modern athletes if they lived now. That is why stats, size, speed, etc cannot be the determining factor. You have to compare within era, which gives you the baseline to compare across eras.

no way this is even remotely related to the best of all time. Unitas, Starr, Stabler, Namath and Tarkenton are in the running as least as much as most mentioned. The greatest list has to consider Graham, Baugh and Van Brocklin. These guys called their own game and plays, played in rough weather without near the equipment and under rules that worked against the qb. In the cases of the early guys...hell they defined the passing game. The linemen of each era were roughly the same size, and I'm pretty sure being hit by Dick Butkus in the 60's or Sam Huff in the 50's was as punishing as getting hit by Lawrence Taylor in the 90's.

no way this is even remotely related to the best of all time. Unitas, Starr, Stabler, Namath and Tarkenton are in the running as least as much as most mentioned. The greatest list has to consider Graham, Baugh and Van Brocklin. These guys called their own game and plays, played in rough weather without near the equipment and under rules that worked against the qb. In the cases of the early guys...hell they defined the passing game. The linemen of each era were roughly the same size, and I'm pretty sure being hit by Dick Butkus in the 60's or Sam Huff in the 50's was as punishing as getting hit by Lawrence Taylor in the 90's.

You guys keep believing that athletes aren't better today. And I'm assuming if Lebron James played in the 1950's he wouldn't be any better relative to the sport than he is today, right?

The post should be greatest quarterback since 1980. Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh and others deserve at least consideration with those listed. Greatest qb since 1980? Probably have to be Montana with Elway a close second. Neither one is the greatest qb of all time.

Actually if this keeps going on the path it's already on this could get a third team or honorable mention award for greatest threads ever. :wallbash:

The hypotheticals are great!

Actually if this keeps going on the path it's already on this could get a third team or honorable mention award for greatest threads ever. :wallbash:

Stupidest maybe....

It's akin to running a poll asking who's the greatest WR ever and then listing TO, Larry Fitz and Marvin Harrison as options.

2009 - 15 = 1979 ? :wallbash:

2009 - 15 = 1994. Which guy on your list retired prior to 1994? :wallbash:

:wallbash:

My vote? This guy.

And if you don't want pre-1980 players included, don't you DARE call this the "best quarterback of all," because it's not.

What QB pre 1980 was better then Montana/Marino/Elway/Kelly? I am really curious as to what your answer will be. Keeping in mind I just turned 36 yesterday, & really did not start watching football the early 80's, the only qb I think you might have in mind is Tarkentin(sp)/Unitas. BTW, my vote goes to Montana & then Manning/Brady with the class of 83 being right behind them.

It is Elway for me. No peer pressure involved. To me, the guy was awesome, and fun to watch, and he has a few rings to back it up. Non-Bills games, I think Elway has provided me with more memorable football moments than any other in the last 30 years. I like Favre a lot, but he lost as many for his tem as he won for them, with his arm. I respect all the guys on the list, but Elway had a flair for the dramatics, won a lot of games, and carried three sqauds to the Super Bowl.

Guys like Montana, Aikman were great, but, to me, they weren't super fun to watch. I always thought the 49'ers were a dull team to watch, great, but dull nontheless.

My second pick would be the incredibly underappreciated, and overshadowed Steve Young.

Except that he only got those rings AFTER Kelly and Marino retired. Make no mistake, you can't be the best of all time if you're not even the best of your class.

All 3 '83 QBs had great teams and coaching staffs around them, and as I recall, one QB triumphed over the others in head-to-head competition over and over and over...