false optimism

OK, How can a Bills fan be happy with what we see, our team is a train wreck!

1) "O" line is a disaster.. Our center was never an NFL starter, our projected guards are both rookies.. One tackle was a guard last year and the other tackle is OK at best

2) Our #1 pick was projected as a late first rounder.. He played 1 year of college and has a skillset of Chris Ellis.

3) Our second round pick was a CB to be converted into a safety..

4) Our rookie TE is a 4th rnd pick.. If he was a second rnd pick he would have been drafted in rnd 2 or maybe 3rd.. Hard to believe he'll make a difference.

Other factors'; we lose an all-pro T, we have no decent left lb, we have an unproven QB, oh yes, the Bills tiks will sell and sell and we'll miss the playoffs AGAIN.. another prediction after an 0-3 start, jauron will say to be "patient" because the line is unfamiliar with each other and Trent isn't used to T.O... We finish 3-13, "changes" are made, we sell out AGAIN etc. etc. etc.

I hope I'm wrong, but the above makes a lot of sense to me IMO.

If you think the O-line is a disaster then you know nothing about football. Dockery was a scrub, Preston was a scrub. Peters is overrated. The line was actually better with him out of the lineup. All positions were filled with people that will be better.

My first post in months, have no idea who is afcfan is,... The truth hurts I know and I've been a fan for years. it's so sad how we settle for mediocrity.. Before the Kelly yrs, 25,000 fans showed up when we sucked now we sell out.. Optimism is great but not if its unrealistic..

Funny,

I actually just got done speaking with a friend that is a scout for a NFL team.

He partially did agree with you about Maybin. He said he is young and will probably take a year to develope into a very good player.

As far as Wood and Levitre go, he could not have given the Bills better praise. He thinks Levitre will be a very good gaurd. And Woods will probably be the best player the Bills took in this draft.

He stated Byrd will make an immediate impact this year. He has good ball skills, but is just a little slow.

Nelson has all the tools to be great. The reason he lasted till the fourth was because he sometimes lost focus. He can make all the catches, but did not do it consitently in college.

You can spin this offseason either way. Some of the optimists with hope for a better year this year. While the pessimists will watch and think it is same ole same.

Just depends on who you are and what way you want to go thru life.

Me i will go with renewed optimism, its more fun.

according to IP

this is afcfan1

:thumbsup:

100% not true. I do agree with most of what he said, but I would have added that this team needs to start fast becaus of the TO factor. If the Bills start to lose a couple games in a row he will be in full TO mode.

Other factors'; we lose an all-pro T, we have no decent left lb , we have an unproven QB, oh yes, the Bills tiks will sell and sell and we'll miss the playoffs AGAIN.. another prediction after an 0-3 start, jauron will say to be "patient" because the line is unfamiliar with each other and Trent isn't used to T.O... We finish 3-13, "changes" are made, we sell out AGAIN etc. etc. etc.

What's a L LB??

you talkin about a Will??

1) "O" line is a disaster.. Our center was never an NFL starter, our projected guards are both rookies.. One tackle was a guard last year and the other tackle is OK at best

2) Our #1 pick was projected as a late first rounder.. He played 1 year of college and has a skillset of Chris Ellis.

4) Our rookie TE is a 4th rnd pick.. If he was a second rnd pick he would have been drafted in rnd 2 or maybe 3rd.. Hard to believe he'll make a difference.

Other factors'; we lose an all-pro T, we have no decent left lb, we have an unproven QB, oh yes, the Bills tiks will sell and sell and we'll miss the playoffs AGAIN.. another prediction after an 0-3 start, jauron will say to be "patient" because the line is unfamiliar with each other and Trent isn't used to T.O... We finish 3-13, "changes" are made, we sell out AGAIN etc. etc. etc.

Oh man. I guess we're gonna suck this year. You better not waste your time on the board until at least next year, when we can hopefully have a better offseason and draft. See you in a year.

Why do all of "the sky is falling" people seem to come out on the same day? Here, yet again are the facts that show you are extremely pessimistic if not completely wrong in everything you have said in this post.

First, would you PLEASE ACTUALLY CHECK A PLAYER'S :thumbsup: STATS BEFORE YOU POST!!!! Hangartner has started 27 of the 54 games he has played, both at Center and at Guard for an exceptionally good interior line in Carolina. Here's the stats from NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/players/geoffhangartner...le?id=HAN148149 Brad Butler is much better suited to playing the RT position. He was a three year starter at RT for UVa in college and has played some at that position for the Bills. If you think that teams don't play OL at guard and move them to tackle, then please see Michael Ogden and Jason Smith, this years #2 overall pick who will be playing GUARD this year for the STL Rams so that he gets a better feel for the NFL game before moving to LT. Langston Walker looked above average, though not great at LT last year spelling an out of shape Peters. Dockery was a revolving door and the combo of Fowler/Preston was TERRIBLE up the middle last year. These two rookies that are coming in are bigger, faster and smarter than either of those two guys. What more do you want. This crap about the OL getting suddenly worse is just chicken little BS.

As for Maybin, I don't know what websites you've been trolling on lately, but Maybin was not predicted as a late 1st rounder by anyone with any sort of legitimacy. Maybin was consistently cited by Mayock and Kiper as the best pass rusher in the draft, who had the highest upside, even taking into account his slightly lower floor. He's got all of the tools to become a great DE. Why don't we wait and see how they actually look on the field this year before passing judgment.

As to your third point, WTF? I don't even understand how this is a complaint. His speed, measureables, and skill set translate well to being a FS. How is this a problem? And since we didn't get to see Chris Ellis much on the field last year, how the :unsure: do you know he won't be a solid player for us? Were you suddenly hired on as the talent evaluator at OBD? If so, they should seriously think about going another direction.

Lastly, again, WTF? He was the third best rated TE in the draft and the concensus of people much smarter than you (aka Mayock, Kiper, McShay) all were in disbelief on draft day that he fell as far as he did. Buffalo was unbelievably lucky to get him. He has great hands, as you would know if you took the time to watch any of his film, which you clearly didn't. He's also been working to become a better blocker. Just because we didn't take Pettigrew doesn't mean we didn't draft a good TE. You are seriously the ONLY person who seems to think Nelson wasn't the steal of the draft.

All in all, you made O points, and backed them up with nothing but your chicken little fears, suppositions and beliefs. Before you post again, try to actually have facts. I don't mind having discussions and arguments, but at least have something intelligent to say before you go running your mouth off.

I agree that Dockery sucked as well as Preston, but why would you think we're better?? Is it our history of draft hits?? We're going to have a whole new line with 2 rookies playing out of position and that's good??

Your own post on Jan. 5:

Kent Hull and Jim Richer were converted.. It means nothing on the OL

Why do all of "the sky is falling" people seem to come out on the same day? Here, yet again are the facts that show you are extremely pessimistic if not completely wrong in everything you have said in this post.

First, would you PLEASE ACTUALLY CHECK A PLAYER'S :thumbsup: STATS BEFORE YOU POST!!!! Hangartner has started 27 of the 54 games he has played, both at Center and at Guard for an exceptionally good interior line in Carolina. Here's the stats from NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/players/geoffhangartner...le?id=HAN148149 Brad Butler is much better suited to playing the RT position. He was a three year starter at RT for UVa in college and has played some at that position for the Bills. If you think that teams don't play OL at guard and move them to tackle, then please see Michael Ogden and Jason Smith, this years #2 overall pick who will be playing GUARD this year for the STL Rams so that he gets a better feel for the NFL game before moving to LT. Langston Walker looked above average, though not great at LT last year spelling an out of shape Peters. Dockery was a revolving door and the combo of Fowler/Preston was TERRIBLE up the middle last year. These two rookies that are coming in are bigger, faster and smarter than either of those two guys. What more do you want. This crap about the OL getting suddenly worse is just chicken little BS.

As for Maybin, I don't know what websites you've been trolling on lately, but Maybin was not predicted as a late 1st rounder by anyone with any sort of legitimacy. Maybin was consistently cited by Mayock and Kiper as the best pass rusher in the draft, who had the highest upside, even taking into account his slightly lower floor. He's got all of the tools to become a great DE. Why don't we wait and see how they actually look on the field this year before passing judgment.

As to your third point, WTF? I don't even understand how this is a complaint. His speed, measureables, and skill set translate well to being a FS. How is this a problem? And since we didn't get to see Chris Ellis much on the field last year, how the :unsure: do you know he won't be a solid player for us? Were you suddenly hired on as the talent evaluator at OBD? If so, they should seriously think about going another direction.

Lastly, again, WTF? He was the third best rated TE in the draft and the concensus of people much smarter than you (aka Mayock, Kiper, McShay) all were in disbelief on draft day that he fell as far as he did. Buffalo was unbelievably lucky to get him. He has great hands, as you would know if you took the time to watch any of his film, which you clearly didn't. He's also been working to become a better blocker. Just because we didn't take Pettigrew doesn't mean we didn't draft a good TE. You are seriously the ONLY person who seems to think Nelson wasn't the steal of the draft.

All in all, you made O points, and backed them up with nothing but your chicken little fears, suppositions and beliefs. Before you post again, try to actually have facts. I don't mind having discussions and arguments, but at least have something intelligent to say before you go running your mouth off.

You all continue to use partial bits of info to make your argument. Ys Mayock, Kiper and McShay thought he was a good pass rusher, but they all thought he was best suited for OLB in a 3-4, not 4-3 DE due to his lack of bulk.

As for the "consensus of people much smarter than you" (Kiper, Mayock on McShay); Due to the fact he fell to the 4th round, the consensus of people much smarter than you (AKA NFL GMs and coaches), he was a 4th round talent and the 121st pick in the draft.

You all continue to use partial bits of info to make your argument. Ys Mayock, Kiper and McShay thought he was a good pass rusher, but they all thought he was best suited for OLB in a 3-4, not 4-3 DE due to his lack of bulk.

As for the "consensus of people much smarter than you" (Kiper, Mayock on McShay); Due to the fact he fell to the 4th round, the consensus of people much smarter than you (AKA NFL GMs and coaches), he was a 4th round talent and the 121st pick in the draft.

So because some people think he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB, that means he's going to suck as a 4-3 DE? Wow... :thumbsup:

Actually, they said he could play in either scheme. Pay attention. They thought that at the weight he played at PSU he might be better as a Rush LB, but that at his current weight of 250, if he could maintain his speed, he could be very successful as a DE.

As for Nelson, the fact that he fell means those teams didn't have a need for a TE at their pick. That doesn't mean he wasn't the steal of the draft. I guess all those coaches and GMs were wrong about Brady too huh? Terrell Davis? Just because you were picked later in the draft doesn't mean you weren't talented enough to have been drafted higher or that the measureables weren't there. It means teams didn't have a need at that position to fill at that time. He was considered the third best TE prospect in the draft by almost every analyst, and the second best in terms of being an overall TE. That is he is a great receiver and has solid skill blocking but needs some work in that area. You are literally the only person I have seen who has not thought he was a steal in the fourth round. That means that you are either smarter than every draftnik at ESPN and NFL Network, or you know absolutely nothing about football, particularly the TE position. Based on your posts on this board, I'm going with the latter.

So because some people think he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB, that means he's going to suck as a 4-3 DE? Wow... :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter, his argument is moot. McShay said on SportsCenter on Monday he likes Maybin better as a DE.

Actually, they said he could play in either scheme. Pay attention. They thought that at the weight he played at PSU he might be better as a Rush LB, but that at his current weight of 250, if he could maintain his speed, he could be very successful as a DE.

As for Nelson, the fact that he fell means those teams didn't have a need for a TE at their pick. That doesn't mean he wasn't the steal of the draft. I guess all those coaches and GMs were wrong about Brady too huh? Terrell Davis? Just because you were picked later in the draft doesn't mean you weren't talented enough to have been drafted higher or that the measureables weren't there. It means teams didn't have a need at that position to fill at that time. He was considered the third best TE prospect in the draft by almost every analyst, and the second best in terms of being an overall TE. That is he is a great receiver and has solid skill blocking but needs some work in that area. You are literally the only person I have seen who has not thought he was a steal in the fourth round. That means that you are either smarter than every draftnik at ESPN and NFL Network, or you know absolutely nothing about football, particularly the TE position. Based on your posts on this board, I'm going with the latter.

He was the 6th TE taken, so some teams obviously had a need. At this point to say a TE, out of Southern Miss, that can't block and was taken in the 4th round after 5 other TEs was the "steal of the draft" is moronic.

He was the 6th TE taken, so some teams obviously had a need. At this point to say a TE, out of Southern Miss, that can't block and was taken in the 4th round after 5 other TEs was the "steal of the draft" is moronic.

You back again? Thought you left hours ago. Must be done jerkin' off to your Tom Brady poster, eh?

So Souther Miss is not a good football school? Hmm Brett Farve may want to argue that point with you. As well as countless others. Seriously, i dont know why i waste my time with you afc.

So Souther Miss is not a good football school? Hmm Brett Farve may want to argue that point with you. As well as countless others. Seriously, i dont know why i waste my time with you afc.

Didn't say that. Just stating facts. So you're also saying he's the "steal of the draft" huh?

Agreed. The fact that he says the kid can't block is moronic. AFC needs to watch some film and get educated about football before he talks. Some of those other TEs were considered blocking specific TEs, meaning they aren't going to have a significant impact in the passing game except as a rare outlet receiver. Nelson is a pass catcher, who was a former WR, but who has improved his blocking immensely. He can stretch the middle of the field and do alot of things when the football is thrown in his direction. Seriously. afcfan1 needs to go back to a message board that actually thinks his opinion is worthwhile.

He is bigger and faster than Schobel. Didn't Schobel go to the pro bowl, like two years ago?

Didn't say that. Just stating facts. So you're also saying he's the "steal of the draft" huh?

I would not go as far to say steal of the draft. Because that can not be determined until three years from now.

I will however go as far to say the Bills filled a need position, with a player that has a ton of potential.

Like i said earlier, i spoke to a friend of mine today, who heads the college scouting department for a team. Nelson, is a very good reciever, who needs to play more disciplined on a play by play basis. He can be very good, but has to focus every play, and yes get better on his blocking.

Well, on the bright side, Maybin might be coming into his own by the time the next coaching staff starts to get their program rolling; and, they finally drafted some lineman.

Somebody mark this day down. I actually think Sisyphean may have had a tinge of optimism when he made this statement.

Why not? There's better tangible evidence for that statement than the steaming crock of :thumbsup: your trying to sell on special.

Your points 2 and 4 contradict each other. But I agree with your hope that you are wrong and I think you may get your hope.

Your "truths" are opinions. The "names" you wanted were just names you became familiar with. You're a bag o chips on the couch guy, and you think you know more than the Bills coaches about talent and scheme fits? Keep that hand in the bag, buddy. You have a problem with "1 year wonders" but you refer to Peters as an all pro. Here's news for ya: Peters was a one year wonder, too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 2, 3, and 4. In fact, this post of yours is so juvenile, so whiny, so hollow, I'm gonna stop bothering to respond. Later, Bag O' Chips Guy.

It's the off-season. This is when we are allowed to be optimistic.

It's the off-season. This is when we are allowed to be optimistic.

Exactly right, nucci... though I would go even further.

Anyone who uses the word "realistic" in discussing the activities of a bunch of genetic mutations in Halloween costumes beating the snot out of each other for the entertainment of others deserves to be laughed out of the Internet. You want realism? How about this, Buster? You are spending your time choosing to be gloomy about a voluntary activity. If you like doing that, good for you, but stop trying to claim that you are more realistic for doing so....

1) Get your facts straight....he in fact started 8 games last year, 4 in 2007, and 15 in 2006. According to most people Carolina's O-line was so good, he was just the odd man out, but was a more than capable starter. Jordan Black thought Hangartner was so important to Carolina's success, he offered to re-structure his contract to keep him. Hangartner will be a very solid addition to this line, and is among the smartest players in the game, scoring a stunning 47 out of 50 on the Wonderlic. Michael Turner was "never a starter" either...how did that work out for the Falcons? That argument makes no sense.

2) Umm...whatever...

3) Who cares? Players change positions all the time when they enter the NFL. Byrd was projected as one of the best safeties in the draft, because his skill set fits the safety position in the NFL more than it fits the corner position.

4) I guess players like Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, Tom Brady, Terrell Owens, Hines Ward, etc, etc, etc will be devastated to know there is no possible way they are as good as they have played because they weren't 2nd round picks or higher...

Your "truths" are opinions. The "names" you wanted were just names you became familiar with. You're a bag o chips on the couch guy, and you think you know more than the Bills coaches about talent and scheme fits? Keep that hand in the bag, buddy. You have a problem with "1 year wonders" but you refer to Peters as an all pro. Here's news for ya: Peters was a one year wonder, too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 2, 3, and 4. In fact, this post of yours is so juvenile, so whiny, so hollow, I'm gonna stop bothering to respond. Later, Bag O' Chips Guy.

Yeah. what he said...I feel these are more "truths" than the original post...

Right on. And most likely completely true.