Bills to run no-huddle next year?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real key to the success of the no huddle is letting you QB call his own plays, from a shortened play list. People always claim the league figured out the no huddle after the first year, but It was really a case of the coaching staff slowing down the sequence of plays to be able to call them from the sideline which allowed defenses time to substitue. The idea was to give our D more time to rest as we were scoring so quickly, or if we went three out the D was back on the field in about 15 minutes real time. To be truly sucessful you need an aggressive, gambling D that can get right back off the field. If you give up a score you have to rely on the O to get it back. And if your D is agressive that leads to turnovers and you O is in the endzone again or the D scores. If you don't believe me compare games from 1990 and 1991. In 90 we were running plays every 15-20 seconds. In 91 it was every 35-40. Huge difference. Also you have to be solid against the run, otherwise you have long drives by the opponent and their D gets rested. I would love to see it reborn.

Can you imagine the no huddle with the Bills D from 2004...that gambling, big-play D? That would have been something to see.

Tim,

Does the number of page hits translate to some kind of pay structure? If that's a rude question, then I apologize. I'm just curious as to how the system works.

Not at all. I'm under contract, but the folks back in Bristol, Conn., do track page views and comments.

For instance, I wasn't supposed to cover the NFL owners' meetings, but I had a string of posts that generated a lot of traffic right before the meetings. So they sent me because I was viewed as "a big producer."

The offensive personnel is only part of what's needed for the no huddle - you also have to be able to trust your own defense. If our D can't get off the field and is giving up long drives, we can't go no huddle because a quick out results in putting our D back on the field too soon. If we can get a decent pass rush and start forcing some 3 and outs ourselves, that's where the no huddle becomes a serious weapon.

I also love our offensive personnel for the no huddle, but strange as it may sound, I don't know if our D will be good enough for us to go no huddle often. D is the biggest question mark.

Not at all. I'm under contract, but the folks back in Bristol, Conn., do track page views and comments.

For instance, I wasn't supposed to cover the NFL owners' meetings, but I had a string of posts that generated a lot of traffic right before the meetings. So they sent me because I was viewed as "a big producer."

That's cool - I'll remember to read your blog more.

Good article too. If they end up using the no-huddle as part of the game plan, they might be pretty exciting until in gets too cold to throw.

That's cool - I'll remember to read your blog more.

Good article too. If they end up using the no-huddle as part of the game plan, they might be pretty exciting until in gets too cold to throw.

It is rarely, if ever, too cold to throw. But the Bills can't expect to be pass-happy in December in outdoor games in cold weather cities. Fortunately, the no huddle helps the running game as much, or more, than the passing game.

The real key to the success of the no huddle is letting you QB call his own plays, from a shortened play list. People always claim the league figured out the no huddle after the first year, but It was really a case of the coaching staff slowing down the sequence of plays to be able to call them from the sideline which allowed defenses time to substitue. The idea was to give our D more time to rest as we were scoring so quickly, or if we went three out the D was back on the field in about 15 minutes real time. To be truly sucessful you need an aggressive, gambling D that can get right back off the field. If you give up a score you have to rely on the O to get it back. And if your D is agressive that leads to turnovers and you O is in the endzone again or the D scores. If you don't believe me compare games from 1990 and 1991. In 90 we were running plays every 15-20 seconds. In 91 it was every 35-40. Huge difference. Also you have to be solid against the run, otherwise you have long drives by the opponent and their D gets rested. I would love to see it reborn.

I think this is a great point! When you look at more modern versions of the no-huddle the most important piece is stripped away, the hurry up piece. OU vs Florida last year was a prime example, sure OU would line up in a hurry but then Sam Bradford would look over to the sideline for the call from the coach wasting 10-20 seconds for a play to come in.

The no-huddle is close to meaningless if you are going to line up quickly, then wait for a call the come in from the coaching staff, and then walking up and down the line convening the play. They should have the plays scripted or the QB should be calling the plays with a suggestion from the OC.

I think it would be a great idea for the Bills to run this type of offense, Trent did great in hurry up situations last year. If he has 4 quarters do play like that all the better.

The key to the no-huddle was the offensive line. Not sure I would try this with an inexperienced line.

Hangartner is probably the smartest player we've ever had, so i think he would make the right line call. Hangartner will lead, the rest will follow. In fact, they probably signed him over the other FA centers because of his ability to run the no huddle.

I cant remember where I heard this or read it. But I recall hearing that the Bills had a no huddle offense in place last pre-season and things were working well. The only problem was that with a new OC, and OLcoach they had to scrap it once Peters returned to the team. The word is that the offensive play calls and terminology was different on the line from previous years and Peters couldnt pick it up for us to use it last season. Flame away if you will, but im sure I heard or read this at some point just after the season ended.

I remember reading that last year as well. Had me looking forward to the season. I remember them trying it in preseason against the Lions but looked real sloppy with it.

Tim,

I would just like to add that there is no mention of our shiny new toy in receiving TE Shawn Nelson....the second fastest TE in the draft.

The original K gun was based off a tight end.....it could be so again.

One of the overlooked elements of a no-huddle offense is a sure-handed tight end. The Bills released the droptastic Robert Royal and drafted Shawn Nelson out of Southern Miss in the fourth round. Nelson is balanced, but known more for his catching ability than his blocking.

"Where the no-huddle is most effective is if you got a tight end that can step out a few yards and be a quick receiver and you've got a running back who can cheat out to the weak side and be a quick receiver out of the backfield," Wyche said.

"You don't have to substitute to get four wide receivers. You can get your third and fourth receiver from your tight end or your backs. That's when you really optimize your offense."

One of the overlooked elements of a no-huddle offense is a sure-handed tight end. The Bills released the droptastic Robert Royal and drafted Shawn Nelson out of Southern Miss in the fourth round. Nelson is balanced, but known more for his catching ability than his blocking.

"Where the no-huddle is most effective is if you got a tight end that can step out a few yards and be a quick receiver and you've got a running back who can cheat out to the weak side and be a quick receiver out of the backfield," Wyche said.

"You don't have to substitute to get four wide receivers. You can get your third and fourth receiver from your tight end or your backs. That's when you really optimize your offense."

Where the heck is Wyche??