Looks like the Patriots found themselves a diamond in

Really? Because you compared Chung to Byrd as if they played the same position. You also seem to think that Byrd's lack or top CB speed means he will be too slow to play FS in the T2.

I really don't think you understand it, at all.

BTW, Chung is also slow, and not a guy you want to have covering anyone but the slowest TE.

Right on the money again Dean...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I don't quite get what the fuss is about. Chung is a very good prospect, and was well known before the draft. The Pats* picked him with their very first pick, in the 2nd round. I expect he will do well.

Diamond in the rough? WTF is that all about?

Not quite sure either, or how this thread got to 6 pages.

PFW gave Chung and Jairus Bryd identical 5.75 grades in their draft book. The Pats got Chung at pick #34, Bryd went to the Bills at #42. Chung's 5'11" at 210, Bryd's 5'10" at 207. Chung's described as lacking ball skills or deep hash instincts, Bryd's described as an instinctive ballhawk. Go figure...

Anyway, it should be interesting to watch them develop and see which Duck has the better career.

Not quite sure either, or how this thread got to 6 pages.

PFW gave Chung and Jairus Bryd identical 5.75 grades in their draft book. The Pats got Chung at pick #34, Bryd went to the Bills at #42. Chung's 5'11" at 210, Bryd's 5'10" at 207. Chung's described as lacking ball skills or deep hash instincts, Bryd's described as an instinctive ballhawk. Go figure...

Anyway, it should be interesting to watch them develop and see which Duck has the better career.

Having seen both of them play live a couple times and several times on televised games, Byrd was always the one that always made the lasting impression to me, he was just down right impressive.

You sure you're not a Pats* fan? That anti-Colts riff gives you away every time--the Pats* are about the only folks on earth who seem to have something against Dungy.

That Starcaps stuff is garbage--from what I've read even if it was drunk in the Bills locker room all of the occurred in 2002 before the problem ingredient in Starcaps was banned.

You didn't really respond to that NYT article (which contained actual quotes from actual NFL execs) too well, did you? Let's see some links, for ex., to those "rumors" about the Colts or about how "virtually all teams cheat".....

I sort of responded beforehand by saying that I didn't think it meant all that much, and that the fabled Raider and Cowboy teams did worse - which they did.

And no, I'm not a Pats fan, and I actually prefer the Colts because of Polian. I hesitate to say this, but this is a BS charge meant to deflect the real issue, which is that you haven't responded to the fact that the Pats are 26-5 since the spygate episode. Please respond to that. If you want to say that they're on the downward slope, fine, but it's easily dismissable because you actually won't have any evidence for the supposition until it actually happens. And it hasn't happened yet. Having respect rather than contempt for a team that has outscored the Bills by a vast margin over an eight year period does not equal being a fan; it's called realism.

When you cheat, it's a lot easier to make trades where you steal players. That was a total scumbag move by the Patriots. The Pats put together a poison pill offer sheet for Welker (like if he played five games in the state of Florida he would make 10 million extra), then when The Dolphins knew they would lose him for nothing by not being able to match the offer, they decided to trade him for a 2nd and a 7th. If you think that is cool, then yeah the Pats front office did a great job getting him. I think it's pathetic.

??

If the Bills had done that and had the same result, people would have been throwing hosannas at Marv. They took advantage of the system in a legal way (much like the Colts did with Wolford and the Vikes did with Hutchinson), and in retrospect 30 other teams would have done the same given what they know now about Welker. Don't deceive yourself; all NFL teams are in a win-at-almost-any-cost-as-long-as-they-play-within-the-rules mode. It is a dog-eat-dog league driven by violence and billions of dollars.

I really think the constant drubbings of the Bills by the Pats are now affecting the judgment of otherwise sharp Bills fans. Look at it the situation with a clinical rather than an emotional eye.

Really? Because you compared Chung to Byrd as if they played the same position. You also seem to think that Byrd's lack or top CB speed means he will be too slow to play FS in the T2.

I really don't think you understand it, at all.

BTW, Chung is also slow, and not a guy you want to have covering anyone but the slowest TE.

Actually Chung was the 4th fastest safety at the combine while Mr Byrd ran a 4.68 and 4.69 40 at his pro day. That is not just slow, it is terrible. I know speed isn't everything, but there are not a lot of successful NFL DBs that run nearly 4.7 40s.

Speaking of STs, I was listening to Sirius radio a few weeks back, just before we traded Jason Peters, and Bobby April was on, matter of fact I think that it was his birthday, well anyways he went on and on about the Patriots' new ST coach Scott O'Brien. I guess that this guy and April know each other well and have gone toe to toe with each other in the past and the impression that I got from April is that this guy is as every bit as good as he is. I check out his bio and he looks it. When we play the Patriots don't count on our STs as being a big advantage. This O'Brien guy might very well be able to counter it.

O'Brien was in Cleveland when April was in Pit, so they saw each other quite a bit. Around the time Eric Metcalf was on Clevelands team, some time in the 90's. He also coached in Car with Steve Smith returning kicks.

O'Brien didn't do great in Den last year after taking the prior year off. It will be interesting to see what he brings to the table, he'll have a pretty good starting point as far as talent.

I sort of responded beforehand by saying that I didn't think it meant all that much, and that the fabled Raider and Cowboy teams did worse - which they did.

And no, I'm not a Pats fan, and I actually prefer the Colts because of Polian. I hesitate to say this, but this is a BS charge meant to deflect the real issue, which is that you haven't responded to the fact that the Pats are 26-5 since the spygate episode. Please respond to that. If you want to say that they're on the downward slope, fine, but it's easily dismissable because you actually won't have any evidence for the supposition until it actually happens. And it hasn't happened yet. Having respect rather than contempt for a team that has outscored the Bills by a vast margin over an eight year period does not equal being a fan; it's called realism.

Links, please, showing that "everyone does it"? I provided a link, which included multiple quotes from League sources, to back up my point--where are yours? Just like a Pats* fan to level the charge that "everyone else cheats" so it's not a big deal, but then have no evidence to back it up. Not saying you're a Pats* fan, but that is exactly the arguments that their delusional bandwagon fanbase trots out, without any evidence.

An interesting comparison is Bills fans' reactions to Lynch's suspension. He, too, was caught doing something wrong and was punished, in some ways more harshly (so far, depending on the results of his appeal) than others who'd done worse (Brandon Marshall anyone?), but you don't find masses of people here griping about how unfair his punishment was. Compare that to the crap you'd find last year on Pats* fan boards about Spygate, where they all acted as if the league was out to screw them and just them, despite massive evidence to the contrary (like Goodell's destroying the evidence on their behalf and Goodell being a choice of Kraft's for commissioner.)

Please read above where I've given the reasons for why, IN MY OPINION, which history may show is right or wrong, I think that the Pats* will not be as dominant a team as they were in the past. I also think it's funny that folks defend them as some kind of "dynasty" when they haven't won a Lombardi in going on 5 years ,while the Stillers have won two since then. Their fans should also wonder why they alone are hated League-wide--travel from coast to coast and you'll find Pats* haters. It has nothing to do with being a "dynasty" and "all dynasties are hated, which is the line they inevitable trot out". I myself admire and like the Steelers and Colts--classy organizations that do build from within with humble and likeable coaches and, in the Rooney's case, owners, unlike New England. The reason people hate the Pats* is their a-hole coach and his proven cheating ways and "win at all costs, right or wrong" mentality, their obnoxious owner (trademarking "19-0, the Perfect Season" before they had won that last all-important game?) and their bandwagon, moronic fanbase (they had 19,000 season ticket holders in the early '90s, in a city 5 times Buffalo's size). I'd also have to add Brady's arrogance and obnoxiousness to the list after reading that Esquire article last fall, in which he talked about running up the score on us, among other things (karma had a funny way of correcting him after he gave that interview, no?)......

I'm through trying to talk sense to someone who obviously has a soft spot in his heart for the Cheatahs despite reams of evidence to the contrary.

Game. Set. Match......

"Past performance is no guarantee of future returns, as they say in my business. An aging team generally (although that's nothing that some old HGH can't cure, just ask Rodney), an unproven secondary (they're only proven players there are old guys), an O-line that got exposed in the SB, a QB who may or may not come back all the way, running backs on the wrong side of 30 (HGH might help these guys, too) except Maroney the bust, linebackers slow as dirt, for some starters. Don't get me wrong--I don't think they're going 1-15, I just don't think they're the elite team they were or that their fans think they are."

To make it easy on you, here's where I gave my opinion as to why they won't be dominant going forward. I added to this in other posts above as well, but here's just one example of "responding to your post" as I was accused of not doing.

Actually Chung was the 4th fastest safety at the combine while Mr Byrd ran a 4.68 and 4.69 40 at his pro day. That is not just slow, it is terrible. I know speed isn't everything, but there are not a lot of successful NFL DBs that run nearly 4.7 40s.

I don't judge a player's speed on the track. I look at a player's speed in full gear, on game day, mid and late game. Neither of these guys is a burner, from what I can tell, but Byrd has coverage skills whereas Chung...not so much. But, as I noted earlier, they will be playing different positions in the NFL.

As to the first point, provide a link about what those teams did and was proven that you think is worse than videotaping your SB opponents private walkthrough and gameplanning practice so you would know all of their calls for the game. That's the worst kind of cheating, like getting the answers to the test questions the night before then getting a 100%. You didn't earn that, you cheated.

Cheating is never a BS charge, or perhaps NFL fans of the Pats* just put aside ethical and moral considerations to justify a win at all costs attitude? The fact that the Pats are (actually) 15-6* (asterisk because the cheating wasn't actually proven until week ten of the not-so-perfect season and there was evidence that they cheated in some of those games as well) since the cheating was actually proven doesn't mean anything. There haven't been that many coaching changes in the division over that time, until last year and their previously masterful mark in the AFCE didn't look so good after a lot of close games and some blow out losses last year.

The fact is their team is getting older, and they can't use their cheater tapes any more. The Pats* are not going to be as good this year as people think they are and while Chung has potential to make their secondary better, the Pats* don't have a good history when it comes to drafting DBs.

Lastly, the fact that the Cheatriots have outscored us over the last few years means nothing. They have a lot of making up to do for the decade and a half when every team in the AFCE, especially Buffalo abused them pretty badly too. Teams aren't good forever, and the Patriots would be wise to remember that.

The claim that "all teams cheat" is ludicrous. There is simply no evidence that is true. OTOH, I think you can safely assume that those who get caught cheating have cheated more than just that one time.

Links, please, showing that "everyone does it"? I provided a link, which included multiple quotes from League sources, to back up my point--where are yours? Just like a Pats* fan to level the charge that "everyone else cheats" so it's not a big deal, but then have no evidence to back it up. Not saying you're a Pats* fan, but that is exactly the arguments that their delusional bandwagon fanbase trots out, without any evidence.

An interesting comparison is Bills fans' reactions to Lynch's suspension. He, too, was caught doing something wrong and was punished, in some ways more harshly (so far, depending on the results of his appeal) than others who'd done worse (Brandon Marshall anyone?), but you don't find masses of people here griping about how unfair his punishment was. Compare that to the crap you'd find last year on Pats* fan boards about Spygate, where they all acted as if the league was out to screw them and just them, despite massive evidence to the contrary (like Goodell's destroying the evidence on their behalf and Goodell being a choice of Kraft's for commissioner.)

Please read above where I've given the reasons for why, IN MY OPINION, which history may show is right or wrong, I think that the Pats* will not be as dominant a team as they were in the past. I also think it's funny that folks defend them as some kind of "dynasty" when they haven't won a Lombardi in going on 5 years ,while the Stillers have won two since then. Their fans should also wonder why they alone are hated League-wide--travel from coast to coast and you'll find Pats* haters. It has nothing to do with being a "dynasty" and "all dynasties are hated, which is the line they inevitable trot out". I myself admire and like the Steelers and Colts--classy organizations that do build from within with humble and likeable coaches and, in the Rooney's case, owners, unlike New England. The reason people hate the Pats* is their a-hole coach and his proven cheating ways and "win at all costs, right or wrong" mentality, their obnoxious owner (trademarking "19-0, the Perfect Season" before they had won that last all-important game?) and their bandwagon, moronic fanbase (they had 19,000 season ticket holders in the early '90s, in a city 5 times Buffalo's size). I'd also have to add Brady's arrogance and obnoxiousness to the list after reading that Esquire article last fall, in which he talked about running up the score on us, among other things (karma had a funny way of correcting him after he gave that interview, no?)......

I'm through trying to talk sense to someone who obviously has a soft spot in his heart for the Cheatahs despite reams of evidence to the contrary.

Game. Set. Match......

Not so fast my man. Here is an email that was sent to Mike Florio at PFT at the height of the "Spygate" scandal. Please note the date of the article. Well be fore "Spygate". This article clearly points out videotaping signals is the "most common" type of cheating in the NFL. Combine that with Jimmy Johnson stating, after the video was released, that he was doing the exact same way when he broke into the league. Here is the email with link included.

Mr. Florio,

I must tell you on 99% of occasions I agree with what you say. But on this issue I feel you, and the rest of the national media, are being extremely hypocritical. Please read this article (last updated July 25th, well before this scandal) from Don Banks http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ....nfl/index.html. I’m guessing Mr. Banks was a responsible journalist and did an extensive amount research on this subject. He is quoted in the article as saying “stealing'' of signs -- both on offense and defense -- is the area that's most often cited as fertile ground for cheating”, and he followed this up with “The most common practice is for a team to videotape an opponent's signal-givers on the sideline, and later marry up those indications to the game tape in order to identify tendencies or patterns”. This article clearly points out videotaping an opponents signals is the MOST COMMON type of “cheating” in the NFL. The media is trying to paint a picture of BB being a lone wolf in trying to gain a competitive advantage over all other teams. Why have so many coaches not spoken out Mr. Florio? You would think these teams that were “victimized” by the Patriots during their Superbowl runs would be all over the place questioning whether or not this could have been a factor in their defeats. Could the reason be they don’t want to speak out because (according to Mr. Banks) this is the MOST COMMON method of cheating in the NFL, and they are just as guilty? The Pats broke the rule, plain and simple, but the media should not be ignoring how common this practice is. The “everybody else is doing it” excuse does not make it right, but I do think it needs to be mentioned, especially when the validity of their championships is called into question. Let me ask you this, why didn’t Mr. Mangini call BB out on this last year (he had 3 opportunities)? I would venture to guess it is because Mr. Tagliabue had turned the other cheek on this for years, and Mangini knew he could get BB in trouble with the new sheriff in town. I’m anxious to know what you think.

Not so fast my man. Here is an email that was sent to Mike Florio at PFT at the height of the "Spygate" scandal. Please note the date of the article. Well be fore "Spygate". This article clearly points out videotaping signals is the "most common" type of cheating in the NFL. Combine that with Jimmy Johnson stating, after the video was released, that he was doing the exact same way when he broke into the league. Here is the email with link included.

Mr. Florio,

I must tell you on 99% of occasions I agree with what you say. But on this issue I feel you, and the rest of the national media, are being extremely hypocritical. Please read this article (last updated July 25th, well before this scandal) from Don Banks http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ....nfl/index.html. I’m guessing Mr. Banks was a responsible journalist and did an extensive amount research on this subject. He is quoted in the article as saying “stealing'' of signs -- both on offense and defense -- is the area that's most often cited as fertile ground for cheating”, and he followed this up with “The most common practice is for a team to videotape an opponent's signal-givers on the sideline, and later marry up those indications to the game tape in order to identify tendencies or patterns”. This article clearly points out videotaping an opponents signals is the MOST COMMON type of “cheating” in the NFL. The media is trying to paint a picture of BB being a lone wolf in trying to gain a competitive advantage over all other teams. Why have so many coaches not spoken out Mr. Florio? You would think these teams that were “victimized” by the Patriots during their Superbowl runs would be all over the place questioning whether or not this could have been a factor in their defeats. Could the reason be they don’t want to speak out because (according to Mr. Banks) this is the MOST COMMON method of cheating in the NFL, and they are just as guilty? The Pats broke the rule, plain and simple, but the media should not be ignoring how common this practice is. The “everybody else is doing it” excuse does not make it right, but I do think it needs to be mentioned, especially when the validity of their championships is called into question. Let me ask you this, why didn’t Mr. Mangini call BB out on this last year (he had 3 opportunities)? I would venture to guess it is because Mr. Tagliabue had turned the other cheek on this for years, and Mangini knew he could get BB in trouble with the new sheriff in town. I’m anxious to know what you think.

That's hysterical--your own article actually names the Pats* as the team accused of doing this and is the only example provided, no other team is mentioned as videotaping opponents' signals! It's also well known that Banks is a Pats* homer; he lives in Boston and follows the Sox, so go figure where his NFL allegiances lie. That's probably where he got the information for this article on cheating--from his Cheatriot sources! He and Peter King (who now also lives in Beantown) knob gobble New England and Belicheat worse than just about anyone to the point it's been known to makes an objective observer physically ill on occasion.

That's hysterical--your own article actually names the Pats* as the team accused of doing this and is the only example provided, no other team is mentioned as videotaping opponents' signals! It's also well known that Banks is a Pats* homer; he lives in Boston and follows the Sox, so go figure where his NFL allegiances lie. That's probably where he got the information for this article on cheating--from his Cheatriot sources! He and Peter King (who now also lives in Beantown) knob gobble New England and Belicheat worse than just about anyone to the point it's been known to makes an objective observer physically ill on occasion.

Most Common = Not just 1 team. And he's actually a Vikings apologist, not Pats. It's so funny, you guys want so bad to believe something, when a nationally respected journalist disputes your beliefs, he's wrong and you're right. By the way, now 4-0 against the Bills since Spygate.

I don't judge a player's speed on the track. I look at a player's speed in full gear, on game day, mid and late game. Neither of these guys is a burner, from what I can tell, but Byrd has coverage skills whereas Chung...not so much. But, as I noted earlier, they will be playing different positions in the NFL.

I agree with Deano although (like everyone else) I don't know the answer. I thought this was interesting to mention though.

Back in the Air Coryell Days of the San Diego Chargers, wide receivers Wes Chandler and Charlie Joiner were the two fastest timed players on that team. However one day Don Coryell had his players line up with helmet, shoulder pads, and pants and a football in their hands. The team raced sideline to sideline which is 160" or just under 55 yards. The fastest player in that race?

That was Chuck Muncie, the 6'3" 235 pound running back. To me, timed speed means very little. Also know that Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 forty at the combine.

To me you are wasting your time Dean...this guy doesnt seem to know football (he must work for the Raiders) as he dellusionally thinks the 40 time at the combine is the same thing as game speed. Anquan Boldin had a poor 40 time at the combine which is why he slipped to the 2nd round (alla Byrd), and how has that worked out for him?

To illustrate how over inflated the combine is...think of all the workout wonders out there who couldnt do squat in the NFL...then look at who was the worst combine performer of all time at his position: Slowest 40, worst high jump, fewest bench reps, and this is of all time...his name was Tom Brady. This is the same guy who is now known by most professional analysts as one of the most (if not the most) mobile QB in the NFL. Not in terms of scrambling, but in terms of pocket movement and avoiding the rush. In fact, Jaws did a whole piece on this a couple years ago.

So, you can have your combine speed, I will take speed when the pads are on and the ball is in the air. And for those who have never played a down in football, I will give you a tip. You can shave 3 to 5 tenths off a safeties so called 40 time on safeties who take good angles and have good instincts (see Ed Reed who has average speed but plays like he is the fastest guy on the field on just about every down). That is why its not necessary for a Safety to have elite speed and why Byrd was ranked the 2nd highest safety by most in the draft despite not playing safety in college.

To me you are wasting your time Dean...this guy doesnt seem to know football (he must work for the Raiders) as he dellusionally thinks the 40 time at the combine is the same thing as game speed. Anquan Boldin had a poor 40 time at the combine which is why he slipped to the 2nd round (alla Byrd), and how has that worked out for him?

To illustrate how over inflated the combine is...think of all the workout wonders out there who couldnt do squat in the NFL...then look at who was the worst combine performer of all time at his position: Slowest 40, worst high jump, fewest bench reps, and this is of all time...his name was Tom Brady. This is the same guy who is now known by most professional analysts as one of the most (if not the most) mobile QB in the NFL. Not in terms of scrambling, but in terms of pocket movement and avoiding the rush. In fact, Jaws did a whole piece on this a couple years ago.

So, you can have your combine speed, I will take speed when the pads are on and the ball is in the air. And for those who have never played a down in football, I will give you a tip. You can shave 3 to 5 tenths off a safeties so called 40 time on safeties who take good angles and have good instincts (see Ed Reed who has average speed but plays like he is the fastest guy on the field on just about every down). That is why its not necessary for a Safety to have elite speed and why Byrd was ranked the 2nd highest safety by most in the draft despite not playing safety in college.

Please site where he was the 2nd highest rated safety. I looked a ton of predraft stuff and he was never up there. It was always Delmas, Moore, CHung, Johnson and several other guys. I never saw Byrd ever rated as a top safety.

??

If the Bills had done that and had the same result, people would have been throwing hosannas at Marv. They took advantage of the system in a legal way (much like the Colts did with Wolford and the Vikes did with Hutchinson), and in retrospect 30 other teams would have done the same given what they know now about Welker. Don't deceive yourself; all NFL teams are in a win-at-almost-any-cost-as-long-as-they-play-within-the-rules mode. It is a dog-eat-dog league driven by violence and billions of dollars.

I really think the constant drubbings of the Bills by the Pats are now affecting the judgment of otherwise sharp Bills fans. Look at it the situation with a clinical rather than an emotional eye.

That's nonsense. Most teams would never do it and it's only happened a couple times in history. It would happen every year if teams were willing to do it, and it's incredible the league hasnt officially made it illegal.

It cracks me up that you of all people would take this stance, you of the "he left her for dead", and the constant criticism of posters for being mean to each other. I actually liked that part of you because it was consistent. But now sticking up for the poison pill? One of the most scumbag things you can do in all of sports? That's not taking advantage of the rules, it's taking hostages and extortion.

Mr. Florio,

Cute. Citing a letter from a Pats* fan with a link to one SI columnists opinion page. That's not proof that other teams did it. That's a Pats* fan trying to justify his team getting caught with more of the same speculation you got called out on. And by the way, most common doesn't necessarily mean that more than one team did it. It could also mean that was the preferred method used by the team that got caught. See the words "most common" in and of themselves are vague AND ambiguous, particularly when used without context. See paying attention in basic english courses or in logical reasoning would have taught you that set of reading comprehension skills. We asked you to cite more specific examples. You gave us more assumptions and fluff from a letter clearly written by a BB apologist. Thank you, come again.