I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Oddly, I used to hate Schoop and love Rome and now it's not exactly the opposite, but more in that direction.........Rome used to have great callers, and always made me laugh.......Then, he got onto this sound bit craze, and it just brought the show down. I never hear any of the funny callers, anymore. I do think in the last few months he's slowed down on these sound bits (boom, out of here, etc.) and it's made it a little more listenable again...........But, I'm still more apt to switch to Dennis Miller

I can't stand those damn things. Sometimes he plays them 20 times in a row, and I'm forced to just turn the station. He has great interviews on there, but sometimes I can't stand how he tries to act "hipp" with his word choice when going on a rant. I swear he says "cat" every other word. "He's yoked, he can rake".... enough is enough, man. Just talk intelligently like Schopp, but without sounding like sports want to make you go home and slit your wrists.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, I'm going to do the same. I'm going to listen to the show ( :thumbsup: ) either today or Friday to get a list of the ads. I'll post them here. I'm just going to draft one email, and send it out to each place.

Thanks.

For those of us contacting sponsors we can do this in a pleasant way and still get our point across.

Last thing we want to do is be arrogant like the radio host being discussed here.

He has the right to broadcast his opinions of sports and the shows listeners/callers; and we certainly have the right to 'broadcast' our opinions of his actions.

Haven't you heard the "Hall of Fame Rejection Committee" or those "hilarious" Greg Bauch fake play by play bits? Do these ingenious comedic machinations sound like the work of someone who isn't ready for the national stage?

Some of the Greg Buach fake play by plays ARE actually really funny...like the one with the guy running down the first base line dressed as a hot dog or something....I can't remember exactly what it is, but it was pretty funny...perhaps the funniest was when Mike Mularkey was still here and they had one on where he was saying something like "And WHAT IS THIS?!?! Its 4th and 1 at the opponent 30 yard line and I can't believe it...Mularkey is pulling one out of his hat here, going to his favorite play, the punt..."

I do admit a lot of them are rather silly, but they do have some ones that are actually pretty funny where I have started cracking up...

Just my 2 cents

Postgame coming up...

Oddly, I used to hate Schoop and love Rome and now it's not exactly the opposite, but more in that direction.........Rome used to have great callers, and always made me laugh.......Then, he got onto this sound bit craze, and it just brought the show down. I never hear any of the funny callers, anymore. I do think in the last few months he's slowed down on these sound bits (boom, out of here, etc.) and it's made it a little more listenable again...........But, I'm still more apt to switch to Dennis Miller

Rome is hilarious---I actually really love those sound bites from Alvin...

The best one was Susan whatever her name is from the Yankees broadcast carrying on about Clemens return:

"OH MY GOODNESS!!! GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE..."

Boom...outta here...

Good grief. Ten pages on this?

Well, as long as it's semi-transmogrifyinging into a general sportstalk thread, I thought I'd throw in some insight from Paul Daugherty, a pretty good columnist in Cincinnati who also had a show on WLW ... at least until yesterday morning. Boo, Clear Channel:

I'm 30 years into a writing career. Writing is a solitary act. It's sitting in front of a laptop in a home office, dog at your feet, trying in 700 words to make sense of the sports world. It is not yelling into a microphone about Dusty Baker's latest perceived screwup. Writing is rational. Radio, at least as defined locally, is biting the heads off live chickens.

But I worked at it. Not at the content so much. I've been here since '88. I know what I know when it comes to local sports. I'd guess that other than a few local sports media types -- DJ at CPO comes to mind -- my well of sports sources is the deepest in the city. There is not a topic around here that I couldnt get an insider's opinion on, just by opening the Rolodex. So content wasnt an issue. Changing who I was for 3 hours a night. That was the work.

By changing, I don't mean phony or deliberately controversial. I swore when I took the gig I would never do or say anything just to make the phone ring. I wouldnt "plant'' callers to enrage people, I wouldnt be contrarian for the hell of it. I wouldnt make stuff up, I wouldnt shovel race-baiting, right-wing demagoguery at an audience that apparently lapped it up. I wouldnt treat my listeners like idiots. If making a few extra bucks as "P-Doc'' meant chucking my principles, I'd chuck the headset by the end of the first week.

Times are horrible in the media industry, exacerbated by the barons who run the shows. They make the GM twits seem like Andrew Carnegie. I was told my whacking was a corporate decision, made by Clear Channel bean counters, using some "formula.'' I don't know if I believe that. I never knew if I believed anything anyone told me at WLW, not from the very first day. Radio is not a pretty business, at least from my very limited perspective. Not that it matters.

At 10 AM Tuesday, I was handed a severance package and shown the door. Literally overnight, I went from being "the future of the radio station'' (Parks) to the parking lot. The whole transaction took 5 minutes. Since I'd never been "severed'' before, I don't know if that's the norm. And obviously, there is no "right'' way to do that sort of thing. Regardless, it was entirely classless and, from what I've heard from others within ClearChannel Cincinnati, not atypical.

It's too bad about my business now. It sucks for me, obviously, but also for you. The vigorous public debate we once had in all arenas is either entirely out of control or completely silenced. There is no room for rational discussion or thought. It's all about biting the heads off chickens. The great thing about writing is, it allows you the time to think while you're reacting. Thinking is old school. Radio is strictly a brain-to-mouth enterprise, and too often the brain is manipulative or dead.

Rome is hilarious---I actually really love those sound bites from Alvin...

The best one was Susan whatever her name is from the Yankees broadcast carrying on about Clemens return:

"OH MY GOODNESS!!! GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE..."

Boom...outta here...

Well, I agree with you that the Greg "Buck" bits are funny. I think they're very funny. But, the Rome sound bites drive me nuts. Rome just overdoes it.........The Suzyn Waldman thing is funny, and he doesn't really overplay that one. I feel bad for her, because I listen to most every Yankee game and really think she's good (I know most people don't) - she's really knowledgeable. But, she got branded for life with this one!

Well, as long as it's semi-transmogrifyinging into a general sportstalk thread, I thought I'd throw in some insight from Paul Daugherty, a pretty good columnist in Cincinnati who also had a show on WLW ... at least until yesterday morning. Boo, Clear Channel:

Thanks - good read!

Well, I agree with you that the Greg "Buck" bits are funny. I think they're very funny. But, the Rome sound bites drive me nuts. Rome just overdoes it.........The Suzyn Waldman thing is funny, and he doesn't really overplay that one. I feel bad for her, because I listen to most every Yankee game and really think she's good (I know most people don't) - she's really knowledgeable. But, she got branded for life with this one!

I think she does have some good insights, but my problem with her when I have listened, which isn't too often I admit since I am a Yankee hater(was a die-hard Mets fan growing up---now I really don't follow it too much, so I don't care), is that she is just too over the top about every point it seems...she needs a Zanex or something...

I love the city and the area and I'm not from around here but the bills as a franchise disgust me pretty thoroughly they're one of the most ass backwards franchises in the nfl

Then please enlighten us as to why you'd have an account on this board for the last 6 months...or just go ahead and crawl back under your rock.

My biggest problem with WGR is uniformed hosts. Would it kill them to pick up a draft magazine and do a little research? How about following the NBA at least during the playoffs, just in case someone wants to call in and talk about it? That way the response wouldn't have to be "I hate the NBA". How about doing some research in regards to other NFL and NHL teams? I am amazed that they are not required by Andy Roth to expand their sports knowledge and do more show prep.

I would rather listen to Brian Koziol over Schoop or the Bulldog from 3-7 any day of the week.

Whatever happened to "sports talk for smart people" Schoop?

Anyone remember "One on One Sports" with John Murphy and later on, Howard Simon? It seems the bar they set has now been lowered to a couple of inches off the ground. :)

Thanks god for Sirius NFL Radio!

Some of the Greg Buach fake play by plays ARE actually really funny...like the one with the guy running down the first base line dressed as a hot dog or something....I can't remember exactly what it is, but it was pretty funny...perhaps the funniest was when Mike Mularkey was still here and they had one on where he was saying something like "And WHAT IS THIS?!?! Its 4th and 1 at the opponent 30 yard line and I can't believe it...Mularkey is pulling one out of his hat here, going to his favorite play, the punt..."

I do admit a lot of them are rather silly, but they do have some ones that are actually pretty funny where I have started cracking up...

Just my 2 cents

Postgame coming up...

The Greg Bauch stuff is tolerable, but that Steve Sabol crap they do on GR monday mornings after a game is borderline retarded. I think it is Nick Mendola doing the impersonation. Does anyone here find that bit amusing?

Thanks - good read!

This is not a slap at Paul Daugherty, but having been connected loosely and not-so-loosely to that business for a couple of decades . . . he's lucky to have received a severance package other than a cardboard box in which to have packed his belongings.

The Greg Bauch stuff is tolerable, but that Steve Sabol crap they do on GR monday mornings after a game is borderline retarded. I think it is Nick Mendola doing the impersonation. Does anyone here find that bit amusing?

Not in the least.