MAYBIN VS FREENEY

There are two types of muscle fibers - fast twitch and slow twitch. Slow twitch muscle is beneficial to distance runners. They fatigue slowly and are better for distance runners (CBs) and WRs who are striding down the field all the time.

Fast twitch muscles are what DTs and DEs need to get off the ball quick. They are best for short bursts of speed.

DEs and DTs use fast twitch muscles.

Info on muscle types.

Basically, I'm trying to say that bench press, 40 time and other crap mean ASS when it comes to evaluating a player. It is all about muscle type, and how your body works on the field when you have yourself loaded with equipment.

That's a good post, but with one exception--every guy on the football field is using fast twitch muscles more than slow twitch muscles. If a CB, for example, were to try to run a mile at the same speed that he runs a 40 yard dash, he'd wear out very fast. When you think about slow twitch muscles, think long distance runners.

A player's time in a ten yard dash is all about how fast he accelerates. Fast acceleration is also important in a 40 yard dash, but a player's top speed plays an important role too.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NO WAY he ran 4.38. That is what Lee Evans runs.......

I'm sorry, Freeny may be fast, but he is not nearly as fast as Evans.

These say 4.38:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Dwight_freeney_40_time

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2002dra...ightfreeney.htm

This says 4.48:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/colu...&id=3251338

IDK which one is right but does it really matter, either way that's fast.

I don't see where the idea of comparing Freeney and Maybin came into play here at all. They are completely different in their body types, size, and style. I think the comparison of Maybin to Jason Taylor seems more along the right lines. If that's who he ends up playing like? Man, that would be something else. Sad thing is, going by previous examples of effectiveness at that position, by the time Maybin is starting to be a beast on the field we'll need another DE to play opposite because Schobel will have retired :rolleyes:

No - he's not the next Freeney. He's 3 inches taller and has a lot lankier body. This guy could be the next Bruce Smith depending on how well he adds weight and strength. Hopefully he'll be able to stay at or around 250 and still have that first step. The guy seems like too hard-working and athletic to end up out of the league in 4 years, so his floor is probably as a situational passrusher/dime rusher. Hopefully we don't ever have to face that.

Also, who cares about a DE's 40 time? I only care about how quickly he can cover the first 10 yards.

Could someone (INTELLIGENTLY) explain the need for a 40 time for a defensive lineman? I understand quickness is important - but top speed is less so. I'm genuinely curious - so if you actually know, help? Thanks
40 time is irrelevant. You look at a DEs 10 yard burst.

Here's a fairly definitive article on 10 yard splits: http: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-10-yard-split/

Maybin has an excellent 10 yard split. As for the comparison, he is most similar to me to Jevon Kearse. They are both 6'4" and Kearse played at 255 pounds although his weight has fluctuated quite a bit during his career. Kearse has very long arms like Maybin (Kearse has an 86" wingspan), and was a lean athlete with great explosion. Here's Kearse's workout numbers: "Kearse, at 262 pounds, ran a 4.58 second 40-yard dash, 4.24 second 20-yard shuttle and had a vertical jump of 37 inches at the 1999 NFL Combine. Kearse lowered his 40-yard time to 4.43 at the University of Florida "pro day" in the spring of 1999." All the numbers are similar to Maybin's.

Id say give him 1yr and 1/2 and we might have Jason Taylor Jr on our hands

But it might take some time just like it took Bruce Smith time to learn the in and outs of playing DE

But we need some sacks from him this year and anything more than 5 or 6 would be a bonus

I think there were to many DE/OLB Hybrids in this draft...and thats why Buffalo went with Maybin and are ok with useing him as a situational DE...I'm hopeing next year more pure DE's come out and Buffalo can grab Schobels replacement then...till then I'm happy with Maybin...as a matter of fact I think this years draft was full of tweeners at all spots...thats probably why no drafties really stould out like last year...maybe next year we grab someone like:

Greg Hardy, Ole Miss

Height: 6-5. Weight: 260

Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh

Height: 6-5. Weight: 265.

Carlos Dunlap*, Florida

Height: 6-6. Weight: 290.

Everson Griffen*, USC

Height: 6-3. Weight: 265

Here's a fairly definitive article on 10 yard splits: http: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-10-yard-split/

Maybin has an excellent 10 yard split. As for the comparison, he is most similar to me to Jevon Kearse. They are both 6'4" and Kearse played at 255 pounds although his weight has fluctuated quite a bit during his career. Kearse has very long arms like Maybin (Kearse has an 86" wingspan), and was a lean athlete with great explosion. Here's Kearse's workout numbers: "Kearse, at 262 pounds, ran a 4.58 second 40-yard dash, 4.24 second 20-yard shuttle and had a vertical jump of 37 inches at the 1999 NFL Combine. Kearse lowered his 40-yard time to 4.43 at the University of Florida "pro day" in the spring of 1999." All the numbers are similar to Maybin's.

Wow. Good find SJBF :rolleyes: I had forgot all about "The Freak". Let's all hope and pray that we get the early type of production from Maybin, only it's sustained and without the injury problems.

There is NO WAY he ran 4.38. That is what Lee Evans runs.......

I'm sorry, Freeny may be fast, but he is not nearly as fast as Evans.

Actually, the 4.38 in the shuttle is pretty average for a WR or DB. Leodis had a 4.1 time at the combine last year. (Vernon Gholston had a 4.40 in 2008.... :rolleyes: )

BTW, Eric Wood (4.51) and Andy Levitre (4.52) ranked 5th and 6th among OL prospects, showing they have very good short area movement skills. If they can hold up physically, we could have a big upgrade to the line (Joel Bell was 8th at 4.57..another Peters, perhaps?).

Can he be the next Freeney?!

Sure. But I could easily compare him with some combine wonders who busted and he'd match up with them pretty well, too. The key is in-game production and continued development and improvement.

He could be the next Freeney. Or the next Gaines Adams or Jarvis Moss. Or the next Dimetrius Underwood, for all we know. Let's just watch and hope and NOT start comparing him to one of the greats on his second day after the draft.

He looks fast!

He basically has linebacker speed coming off the line. But the first step and technique will make or break Maybin.

Can't wait to see...

He also looks complete roided too from those 2 pics below. You cannot put on 25 lbs of lean body mass in that shape in 2 months. Hell, I've yet to see anyone put that amount of lean body mass in 2 months even out of shape.

Freeney's combine results per ESPN.com

2002: Dwight Freeney, Syracuse -- Colts (1st round, No. 11 overall)

Freeney is a great example of how an experienced general manager can sift through the combine and find gold. He is not prototypical in all of the measurables. He is not small, but he is short (6-1). However, the Colts realized a 4.48 40-yard dash time, 37-inch vertical leap and 28 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press were terrific numbers for a 266-pound man. Because of his combine workout, Freeney skyrocketed to the 11th pick and has been a standout for the Colts.

Profootballweekly.com indicated prior to the draft that he had run a 4.42 (unofficial).

Actually, the 4.38 in the shuttle is pretty average for a WR or DB. Leodis had a 4.1 time at the combine last year. (Vernon Gholston had a 4.40 in 2008.... :blink: )

BTW, Eric Wood (4.51) and Andy Levitre (4.52) ranked 5th and 6th among OL prospects, showing they have very good short area movement skills. If they can hold up physically, we could have a big upgrade to the line (Joel Bell was 8th at 4.57..another Peters, perhaps?).

Did you say Leodis had a 4.1? I guess that is a typo, but just to set things straight, it was a 4.38.

link: http://nfldraft101.com:80/articles/9/Combi...26_CB_and_S.jsp

Great Find San Jose, as usual :blink:

Now I'm really pumped about Maybin. Let's remember, that was at the combine, his body still hadn't adjusted properly to the weight gain, I'm sure that his pro day was a lot better.

Not only does he have great explosion, but they say he times the snap count at a better level than most. Couple those two things together, and we have got ourselves a potential sack master :w00t:

Did anyone happen to catch Matthews 10 second split? WOW!!

I think there were to many DE/OLB Hybrids in this draft...and thats why Buffalo went with Maybin and are ok with useing him as a situational DE...I'm hopeing next year more pure DE's come out and Buffalo can grab Schobels replacement then...till then I'm happy with Maybin...as a matter of fact I think this years draft was full of tweeners at all spots...thats probably why no drafties really stould out like last year...maybe next year we grab someone like:

Greg Hardy, Ole Miss

Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh

Carlos Dunlap*, Florida

Everson Griffen*, USC

I think Greg Hardy is going to be a beast in the NFL

MAYBIN

Height: 6'4

Weight: 250

40 time: 4.89

Vertical Leap: 38 inch

Bench Press: 22 reps of 225 pounds

Overall Draft Pick: 11th overall

FREENEY

Height: 6'1

Weight: 266 lbs

40 time: 4.48

Vertical Leap: 37 inch

Bench Press: 28 reps of 225 pounds

Overall Draft Pick: 11th overall

Can he be the next Freeney?!

Just a sec here; Maybin's 40 time is gotta be misleading inasmuch as he ran in the combine immediately after gaining 20 lbs of muscle. That was nice for a lot of things but not for speed. A month later, once he became accustomed to the extra weight and did some speed training with it he was able to run somewhere around 4.6, a vast difference, huh?

Besides, as a lot of people have pointed out, as a DE the 20 YD speed is the biggie... quickness is key, and it's said that Maybin gets outta the blocks faster than any lineman in the draft.

Greg Hardy, Ole Miss

Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh

Carlos Dunlap*, Florida

Everson Griffen*, USC

I also hope that we go DE again next year.....not because I dont love Maybin but because we need to start thinking about life post schrobel......

I think we really set up the interior of our line and RT for the future in this draft......

Great Find San Jose, as usual :blink:

Now I'm really pumped about Maybin. Let's remember, that was at the combine, his body still hadn't adjusted properly to the weight gain, I'm sure that his pro day was a lot better.

Not only does he have great explosion, but they say he times the snap count at a better level than most. Couple those two things together, and we have got ourselves a potential sack master :w00t:

Did anyone happen to catch Matthews 10 second split? WOW!!

The bottom line is you get a kid who knows how to play the game with a TON of upside......