A few observations after yesterday:

1. As it has already been mentioned here, the FO identified the OL's interior as a problem area. Peter's departure had little to no effect on the C/G priority either because it was just as much of a need before Peters left, or because even after Peters left, the interior was still worse than the tackle situation. I'm inclined to think it's a combination of the two, and therefore, because a rash of "top" tackles went early, I think the Bills did a good job in addressing their needs with the highest quality players available without giving up, well anything.

2. I've been pounding this drum for a long time: last year's defense wasn't dysfunctional. It didn't do much to impose its will, but--as a unit--it did more to win games/keep the Bills IN games than the offense. IMO the 2008 offense WAS dysfunctional. Our interior couldn't handle the 3-4 NT and no threats at TE or WR2 ='d inconsistent run attack and a 16 week lock-down on Lee Evans. It remains unseen whether Handy/Wood/Levitre/Owens/Nelson will be the solutions to the offensive dysfunction, but it's hard to say no effort was made to address the most glaring inhibitors of 2008.

3. It would have been nice to get an upgrade at T, because that's what we needed in the first place (not a replacement). But, as already noted, the worst problem(s) at T were shipped off, so that's a start.

4. Wood started every game for four years. Our USC CB started every game for three years (at USC). Nelson started every game for three years, and so on. With the exception of Maybin (:rolleyes:), loads of college experience is the common thread amongst our draft picks. Does proven durability guarantee durability, or does historic wear and tear accumulate and have the opposite effect? That question makes me appreciate the "saftey" of the Levitre pick given Wood's marathon college career.

5. But pertaining to that idea of college experience: why am I the only person thinking the Jets are f-cking insane. I'll admit, I don't watch college football, but I foresee the Sanchez being an epic belly flop for NY. Hardly any college starts, playing in a program so well groomed and refined that one has to question the preparedness for pro-level competition that a short-term USC QB can be realistically expected to have. Not to mention, I got the impression Sanchez was excited for the pick because he'll gets to live the rap-star NYC lifestyle. I know Sanchez insisted otherwise, but we'll see. I think NYJ gave up a shameful load of picks to get the guy and while "journalists" tout the Jets' weekend among the best, I couldn't disagree more.

6. With all this talk about the best values being in the second and third rounds, I got the idea that too many GM's were trying to be "cute." I can't say the same for the Bills. Not anything new for us to go against the conventional grain, we'll have to wait and see who played it right.

7. I'm withholding judgment of the Maybin pick. We'll see at what weight he enters training camp and how that affects his speed.

8. I have the feeling Buffalo will benefit from this summer's waiver wires.

1. As it has already been mentioned here, the FO identified the OL's interior as a problem area. Peter's departure had little to no effect on the C/G priority either because it was just as much of a need before Peters left, or because even after Peters left, the interior was still worse than the tackle situation. I'm inclined to think it's a combination of the two, and therefore, because a rash of "top" tackles went early, I think the Bills did a good job in addressing their needs with the highest quality players available without giving up, well anything.

2. I've been pounding this drum for a long time: last year's defense wasn't dysfunctional. It didn't do much to impose its will, but--as a unit--it did more to win games/keep the Bills IN games than the offense. IMO the 2009 offense WAS dysfunctional. Our interior couldn't handle the 3-4 NT and no threats at TE or WR2 ='d inconsistent run attack and a 16 week lock-down on Lee Evans. It remains unseen whether Handy/Wood/Levitre/Owens/Nelson will be the solutions to the offensive dysfunction, but it's hard to say no effort was made to address the most glaring inhibitors of 2008.

3. It would have been nice to get an upgrade at T, because that's what we needed in the first place (not a replacement). But, as already noted, the worst problem(s) at T were shipped off, so that's a start.

4. Wood started every game for four years. Our USC CB started every game for three years (at USC). Nelson started every game for three years, and so on. With the exception of Maybin (:rolleyes:), loads of college experience is the common thread amongst our draft picks. Does proven durability guarantee durability, or does historic wear and tear accumulate and have the opposite effect? That question makes me appreciate the "saftey" of the Levitre pick given Wood's marathon college career.

5. But pertaining to that idea of college experience: why am I the only person thinking the Jets are f-cking insane. I'll admit, I don't watch college football, but I foresee the Sanchez being an epic belly flop for NY. Hardly any college starts, playing in a program so well groomed and refined that one has to question the preparedness for pro-level competition a short-term of a USC QB can be realistically expected to have. Not to mention, I got the impression Sanchez was excited for the pick because he'll gets to live the rap-star NYC lifestyle. I know Sanchez insisted otherwise, but we'll see. I think NYJ gave up a shameful load of picks to get the guy and while "journalists" tout the Jets' weekend among the best, I couldn't disagree more.

6. With all this talk about the best values being in the second and third rounds, I got the idea that too many GM's were trying to be "cute." I can't say the same for the Bills. Not anything new for us to go against the conventional grain, we'll have to wait and see who played it right.

7. I'm withholding judgment of the Maybin pick. We'll see at what weight he enters training camp and how that affects his speed.

Shameful load of picks? They didn't give up all that much. "Five-technique" DE Kenyon Coleman, QB project Brett Ratliff, reserve DB Abram Elam (who ruined the Bills last year), a 1st and a 2nd. Sounds like a lot, but it's not an epic trade. It all depends on those players, though. Mangini obviously liked them from his time in New York. Sanchez doesn't have to become John Elway to make the trade worthwhile. He's already an upgrade over the bums at that position on their roster. I don't know if he'll succeed, but I do know I'd prefer to line up against Kellen Clemens if given the choice.

Shameful load of picks? They didn't give up all that much. "Five-technique" DE Kenyon Coleman, QB project Brett Ratliff, reserve DB Abram Elam (who ruined the Bills last year), a 1st and a 2nd. Sounds like a lot, but it's not an epic trade. It all depends on those players, though. Mangini obviously liked them from his time in New York. Sanchez doesn't have to become John Elway to make the trade worthwhile. He's already an upgrade over the bums at that position on their roster. I don't know if he'll succeed, but I do know I'd prefer to line up against Kellen Clemens if given the choice.

Well, the Jets made a TOTAL of three picks over the weekend which means on draft day they gave up 40% of their picks PLUS three players for very expensive, very unproven player at a position historically difficult for rookies.

It remains unseen whether Handy/Wood/Levitre/Owens/Nelson will be the solutions to the offensive dysfunction,

It all boils down to: Does Levitre cure disfunction? According to this email I just got, we should be all set.

kj

I love what they did in the draft not reaching for a LT when they felt there were better players at other areas of need. Does everybody remember how much trouble we had keeping interior DL and LB's out of our backfield while trying to run the ball? Lynch having to carry 3 guys to get 3 yards? My only complaint was taking corners at the very end of the draft instead of either a. taking chances on guys at other positions who might develop that could play ST's right now or b. Trading those picks to a future draft like say a 5th for a future 4th?
  2. I've been pounding this drum for a long time: last year's defense wasn't dysfunctional. It didn't do much to impose its will, but--as a unit--it did more to win games/keep the Bills IN games than the offense. IMO the 2008 offense WAS dysfunctional. Our interior couldn't handle the 3-4 NT and no threats at TE or WR2 ='d inconsistent run attack and a 16 week lock-down on Lee Evans. It remains unseen whether Handy/Wood/Levitre/Owens/Nelson will be the solutions to the offensive dysfunction, but it's hard to say no effort was made to address the most glaring inhibitors of 2008.

The single biggest problem of last years defense was addressed immediately....and I had such relief that with Oher on the board they didnt panick and take him instead of taking other players they had rated higher......I am saying right now....Maybin looks like Jason Taylor to me......he has the 1st step followed up with explosive speed that give OL nightmares.......I could easly see him getting double digit sacks....they just have to be creative about about how they cover up Maybin against the run until he gets bigger....and he is very young he WILL get bigger. That TE pick may end up being the single biggest help to trent this next year......he is going to outrun LB's and overpower corners......2nd fastest TE in the draft who actually had the production to go along with the measurables.

The only possible chance I saw to do that was to take Oher.......but then we wouldn't have gotten Maybin.....and even if Maybin dropped to 28 then you dont get what possibly might have been the best center of the draft.

4. Wood started every game for four years. Our USC CB started every game for three years (at USC). Nelson started every game for three years, and so on. With the exception of Maybin (:lol:), loads of college experience is the common thread amongst our draft picks. Does proven durability guarantee durability, or does historic wear and tear accumulate and have the opposite effect? That question makes me appreciate the "saftey" of the Levitre pick given Wood's marathon college career.

I just like that they "overaddressed" the OL this year.....

5. But pertaining to that idea of college experience: why am I the only person thinking the Jets are f-cking insane. I'll admit, I don't watch college football, but I foresee the Sanchez being an epic belly flop for NY. Hardly any college starts, playing in a program so well groomed and refined that one has to question the preparedness for pro-level competition that a short-term USC QB can be realistically expected to have. Not to mention, I got the impression Sanchez was excited for the pick because he'll gets to live the rap-star NYC lifestyle. I know Sanchez insisted otherwise, but we'll see. I think NYJ gave up a shameful load of picks to get the guy and while "journalists" tout the Jets' weekend among the best, I couldn't disagree more.

New York is a tough place to be for a rookie unless he comes in and gives immediate results

I thought it was interesting that it seemed some teams were trying to take the "patriots" approach.....that doesn't work for everybody......in order to do that you need to have certain pieces firmly in place like Tom Brady

I honestly am trying to figure out how he was able to put on 25 plus pounds in a matter of 3 months and it wasn't fat.....I actually would like somebdy to explain this to me......my son eats/trains/takes supplements like a mad man in an effort to get his LB measurables where they are supposed to be for college recruiting purposes.....he would NEVER be able to put on weight like that.....he might put that much on in a YEAR but it also has to do a lot with body metabolism.

Agreed

My only complaint was taking corners at the very end of the draft instead of either a. taking chances on guys at other positions who might develop that could play ST's right now or b. Trading those picks to a future draft like say a 5th for a future 4th?

Splitting hairs, IMO. Hairs you're no doubt entitled to, but when it comes to minutia, I trust the guys getting paid to make the call! :lol:

I honestly am trying to figure out how he was able to put on 25 plus pounds in a matter of 3 months and it wasn't fat.....I actually would like somebdy to explain this to me......my son eats/trains/takes supplements like a mad man in an effort to get his LB measurables where they are supposed to be for college recruiting purposes.....he would NEVER be able to put on weight like that.....he might put that much on in a YEAR but it also has to do a lot with body metabolism.

Just out of curiosity, is your son a.) 6'4'' b.) 20 years old and does he c.) want to look like or d.) already look like the Aaron Maybin on the left? Link

:lol:

Maybin was also under the 24/7 care of a professional training outfit. *Results not typical*

Just out of curiosity, is your son a.) 6'4'' b.) 20 years old and does he c.) want to look like or d.) already look like the Aaron Maybin on the left? Link

Maybin was also under the 24/7 care of a professional training outfit. *Results not typical*

No he is a 6'2 200 pound 17 year old junior linebacker who is trying to get to 220ish by his senior year......

He doesn't have 24/7 training but he does work with a trainer 3 times a week along with his pretty much daily training regimine......

Great read. Sure Maybin was a gamble with an immediatte payoff in situational passrush and could be an awesome pick 3 years down the stretch once he aged to 23. Hopefully he'll be bound to a contract still then; hate to see us groom him and see him dissappear once matured.

No he is a 6'2 200 pound 17 year old junior linebacker who is trying to get to 220ish by his senior year......

He doesn't have 24/7 training but he does work with a trainer 3 times a week along with his pretty much daily training regimine......

It's definitely possible for someone 3 years older and who has an entire staff of trainers and nothing else to do. Plus, we havent taken into account the most important thing of all, genetics.

Maybin is hardly the first or only guy to pack on 20+ lbs in a short time when stepping up to a new level. whether it is HS to NCAA, or from College to NFL.

when i started HS i wrestled in the 135lb weight class. i lifted like heck (with trainers) for 4 years and struggled to get up to 165 by my senior year.

i plateaued there for a couple years even though i kept lifting 4 times a week. then, all of a sudden, my senior year at college, i jumped up to RIPPED 185 within a couple of months, right before rugby started.

sometimes its just plain genetics.

One of the things that I find interesting is this:

- Sanchez....started a handful of games GREATEST PICK OF THE WHOLE DRAFT

- Maybin....started a handful of games WTF WERE THEY THINKING HE IS A ONE YEAR WONDER

What did they give up for Sanchez?

What did we give up for Maybin?

If it was the Bills who made that Sanchez deal everyone would say he was a one-year wonder and the Bills are crazy to take such a gamble.

Speaking of the media, I'm sitting here listening to Sully & Schoop on WGR. Those guys are flummoxed when there isn't any bad news on the Bills. So they resort to bringing up past history to complain about. This is why I hate WGR so much. Yes I'm listening but I want some Bills draft talk but I get enough Bills bashing on Boston and national media.

PTR

With QBs, it always remains to be seen whether they can make the big leap to the NFL. Playing QB in the NFL may be the mentally toughest thing to do in sports.

Having said all that, I would not be so critical of the Jets drafting Sanchez. The guy is definitely a very good college QB. Playing against the USC defense in practice every day may be the toughest challenge that he faced in college football. He also played in some big time games.

He also is not a glitz and glamour guy as you suggest. His father is a fireman (which will sit well with fireman Ed). He definitely comes from a hard working family. You should have seen the house his grandmother lives in (they showed him visiting her in one segment I saw on him) -- definitely not Beverly Hills 90120.

I am not particularly happy that the Jets got him. I was hoping that he would land somewhere outside of the AFC East.

I think a lot of the media looked at taking aaron maybin as a reach becuase orakpo was still there. orakpo was the consensus number one DE. If the Jets traded up to 5 and had a pick between stafford and sanchez then I think the media would jump all over the jets taking sanchez.

All great points, but I'll respond to #1 because I thought the same thing. The pundits assumed that LT was our biggest need because we traded Peters. Apparently, the FO looked at Walker and Chambers at LT last year and thought they could do a decent job, but the interior is where we won and lost games. I think they're right. Consider the fact that our run game for most of last year was terrible and our interior linemen got blown up by ever 3-4 NT in the league. Consider also that Carolina, albeit with very good tackles, got really good on the inside and suddenly DeAngelo Williams is running for 200 yards and 5 TD's per game. Yeah, you need good tackles--but we've needed and haven't had any talent on the inside for years--now we got some! It's exciting.

I put on about 15-20 lbs of muscle within a few months during the offseason after my freshman year of college football when I was 19 and I'm only 6'1", a lot of other kids I played with did too. Different kids fill out at different rates, but at that age its not all that rare.

One of the things that I find interesting is this:

- Sanchez....started a handful of games GREATEST PICK OF THE WHOLE DRAFT

- Maybin....started a handful of games WTF WERE THEY THINKING HE IS A ONE YEAR WONDER

What did they give up for Sanchez?

What did we give up for Maybin?

Thank you!!! I hate the fact that the majority of Bills fans always have to complain about something. Granted we havnt been in the playoffs in 9 years and that sucks, but Maybin is a Bill now so support him, no one has seen him play in the NFL yet so why not stay positive and let his performance speak for its self. My dad is one of those bills fans, he wont give praise when we have a sweet touchdown play but he will be the first to say bench the qb after a pick...it makes me sick