Todd McShay's draft ratings

Buffalo Bills

2009 draft class

Best pick: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State (First round, No. 11 overall)

Worst pick: C Eric Wood, Louisville (First round, No.28 overall)

Bottom line: On paper this is one of the best drafts of 2009. I would have liked to see them take an OT with one of their two first-round picks and Wood was a bit of a reach late in the first, he and G Andrew Levitre will ultimately become starters and boost what was the weakest area of the team entering the draft. Buffalo's second biggest priority was to upgrade its pass rush and that goal was accomplished by selecting Maybin, who is the best pure edge rusher in this class. Maybin will play in a rotation with Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel early on and will have time to get bigger and stronger. And watch out for TE Shawn Nelson, who could turn into a late-round steal.

Buffalo Bills

2009 draft class

Best pick: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State (First round, No. 11 overall)

Worst pick: C Eric Wood, Louisville (First round, No.28 overall)

Bottom line: On paper this is one of the best drafts of 2009. I would have liked to see them take an OT with one of their two first-round picks and Wood was a bit of a reach late in the first, he and G Andrew Levitre will ultimately become starters and boost what was the weakest area of the team entering the draft. Buffalo's second biggest priority was to upgrade its pass rush and that goal was accomplished by selecting Maybin, who is the best pure edge rusher in this class. Maybin will play in a rotation with Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel early on and will have time to get bigger and stronger. And watch out for TE Shawn Nelson, who could turn into a late-round steal.

The Wood pick was as much about attitude as it was about skill. I like him already. Lett's hope he pans out on the field.

if the Wood pick is our worst, then that means this was a HECK of a draft for us!!!

Exactly...his choice was probably to say our worst pick was either a minor reach while neglecting a need (OT) in Rd. 1b or that we burned choices 183 & 220 on CBs. Not great options if you are looking for something bad. I love it.

I'm a little suprised that he did not like the Wood pick. It seems safe and after Mack came off the board you had to think he would be gone before our pick in round 2.

Wood would have been a Steeler, no doubt about it in my mind. For once, we beat them to the punch on somebody...

Wood would have been a Steeler, no doubt about it in my mind. For once, we beat them to the punch on somebody...

yep had we waited, Mack, Wood and Unger would have all been gone by the time we picked again.

i'm almost glad that Pettigrew didnt fall to us at 28. We would probably had to have gone with him, and then that means no interior lineman early.

yep had we waited, Mack, Wood and Unger would have all been gone by the time we picked again.

i'm almost glad that Pettigrew didnt fall to us at 28. We would probably had to have gone with him, and then that means no interior lineman early.

Well, technically Unger was there for our second round pick, but it's hard to say if things would have been different had we not selected Wood at 28.

Well, technically Unger was there for our second round pick, but it's hard to say if things would have been different had we not selected Wood at 28.

oh yeah, my bad. for some reason i thought that Seattle had picked before us in round 2. it was a long weekend.... :rolleyes:

On ESPN Mel Kiper has said the Bills had the best draft. :w00t:

Don't you feel good that the Bills think enough of their OT's that they didn't even draft one? I mean think about it; if they had any reservations about them, and we're talking about coaches, etc who know more about the state of the team than anyone, then we would have grabbed one in the 1st couple of rounds rather than taking 2 guards.

It's obvious to me that the staff feels that with Walker, Chambers, Bell, and now the Butler move, they are A-OK at OT and they worked on the OG position in the draft. If the dreams of the Bills' mice and men turn out for the best and this OL jells, look out AFC East, because we most definitely have the RB's and now a complete set of receivers to do some serious damage.

:thumbsup::rolleyes:;)

Don't you feel good that the Bills think enough of their OT's that they didn't even draft one? I mean think about it; if they had any reservations about them, and we're talking about coaches, etc who know more about the state of the team than anyone, then we would have grabbed one in the 1st couple of rounds rather than taking 2 guards.

It's obvious to me that the staff feels that with Walker, Chambers, Bell, and now the Butler move, they are A-OK at OT and they worked on the OG position in the draft. If the dreams of the Bills' mice and men turn out for the best and this OL jells, look out AFC East, because we most definitely have the RB's and now a complete set of receivers to do some serious damage.

:w00t::rolleyes::thumbsup:

Have the Bills ever been right in their approach or thinking about their OL this century?