Is Nelson for real or what?

eball

I'm not going to cite all of the various links I've read this morning, but nearly everyone in intar-web land believes the Bills landed the steal of the draft with this kid. Here's one sample, from the National Football Post:

"We still can’t believe TE Shawn Nelson lasted all the way until the fourth round, but he may be the biggest value pick in the entire draft. Nelson is exactly what the Buffalo Bills need in the passing game. He has an ability to make plays down the seam and create mismatches all over the field. I expect him to become an impact tight end at the next level."

Can't wait to see this guy in action.

I didn't know anything about this guy when we made the pick, but some of those highlights sure seem to indicate the guy is a player!

I can see no reason not to like that pick, and have no idea why he dropped.

BC he is 20 pounds underweight. As of right now he is a big WR only and would be useless lined up next to the tackle.

Now I know that TE's are more like WR's now and days-but not at his weight. My guess is teams are concerned about having to not only teach him the NFL game, but also get him to add 20(which is easier said than done-and retain skill set) is a daunting task.

I love the pick-heres hoping...

BC he is 20 pounds underweight. As of right now he is a big WR only and would be useless lined up next to the tackle.

Now I know that TE's are more like WR's now and days-but not at his weight. My guess is teams are concerned about having to not only teach him the NFL game, but also get him to add 20(which is easier said than done-and retain skill set) is a daunting task.

You need to re-watch the video of him pancaking Rey Maualuga on consecutive plays at the Senior Bowl if you think that's true.

He's actually a very accomplished blocker.

We drafted a TE with almost this exact same pick (122) 10 years ago who was hailed by some experts as the "steal of the draft." He has 16 career catches.

But now that I've made a ridiculous pessimistic statement that has no bearing on Shawn Nelson whatsoever, I'll join the crowd and say I am pumped and hope he fills that need we've had since Big Red left. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
You need to re-watch the video of him pancaking Rey Maualuga on consecutive plays at the Senior Bowl if you think that's true.

I'm not as familiar as my brother is with all the good prospects coming out of the draft because he watches more college games then I do and he is flipping out over how well he thinks the draft went for the Buffalo Bills. He thinks it was one of the best Bills drafts ever so my bro's got me pretty excited. Shawn Nelson was one of his favorite picks, we have a $50 bet on who produces the most yardage on the field in their first year between him and Pettigrew.

So I'm real excited about Shawn Nelson, he was a featured weapon in college and produced good numbers despite being double teamed frequently. Our offense just got a whole lot better with this pick :thumbsup:

pancake an nfl linebacker week after week is different than pancaking college ballers week after week.

im not denying his talent-but he needs weight to hold up long term in the nfl. every player drafter has sweet highlight films

I'm not going to cite all of the various links I've read this morning, but nearly everyone in intar-web land believes the Bills landed the steal of the draft with this kid. Here's one sample, from the National Football Post:

"We still can’t believe TE Shawn Nelson lasted all the way until the fourth round, but he may be the biggest value pick in the entire draft. Nelson is exactly what the Buffalo Bills need in the passing game. He has an ability to make plays down the seam and create mismatches all over the field. I expect him to become an impact tight end at the next level."

Can't wait to see this guy in action.

Wow, sounds great. Here's hoping Turk-ey Shoenert feels the same way if Shawn doesn't grasp every single nuance of this 2,000 page playbook, and, even more importantly, if Shawn doesn't make pancake blocks every single time he lines up near the line of scrimmage. We know how demanding the Bills coaches can be on young players. Let's face it, we have our annual 7-9-0 standards to uphold. Robert Royal was smart and passed all of his blocking grades on tape. Despite the fact the guy either dropped, or fumbled every single important first down pass ever thrown his way, the Bills coaches still did not really want to cut him until they absolutely had to. They even kept playing him after Derek Fine caught every pass thrown to him, because let's face it, Fine just was not "smart" enough to stay on the field.

pancake an nfl linebacker week after week is different than pancaking college ballers week after week.

im not denying his talent-but he needs weight to hold up long term in the nfl. every player drafter has sweet highlight films

bandit is usually spot on, regarding his analysis, but his statement was a bit of a stretch when he called him an "accomplished" blocker. He wasn't asked to do that much through out his career, even though I did read he had more than a few knockdowns. He did show promise at the Senior Bowl, and the scouts came away optimistic that he could be a decent blocker, and yes he did pancake Mauluga.

:thumbsup:

I believe the Bills strength and conditioning coach also works with or knows enough about nutrition and diets to bulk him up along with Maybin. I think he will be allright and give the Bills a great TE for years to come.