Round 7, Pick 220: ELLIS LANKSTER, CB, West Virginia

Thanks for working the actual numbers, KOK.

Drafting 6-7 DBs in the past 2 drafts is nothing but a self-indictment of this group's very first draft where they spent 3 of their top 4 picks on the defensive backfield. The 4th pick of that group, McCargo, has shown nothing but an outright bust. So much for laying the foundation of your team with your honeymoon year.

It seems a little surreal that the Bills seem to not worry about going 0-1 players deep at most positions, but pack their 80-man roster with DBs for depth.

thanks KOK... you analytical ability has confirmed why Bills fans are overly upset about what many of us have considered to be of gross excess of drafting DB's.

I was not sure if i was over reacting on the perception of too high a percentage of precious resources being directed towards backfield depth, or if my frusteration was justified.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible!!!! Drafting 3 players for the secondary is absolutely terrible!!! Considering we drafted 3 CB's last year, this was stupid! I think we could of used another DE or DT instead of another CB. Last year, Kennard Cox was cut loose, so if this guy isn't spectacular, he'll be cut loose by the start of the season. :thumbsup::worthy:<_<

Who the F cares? It's the seventh round. The last seventh rounder who was even remotely decent was Riemermsma, and that was ages ago in football years. If he's OK on special teams, that's all good. That's why he was drafted, you know.

Who were guys hoping for - the next Terrence Pennington?

Who the F cares? It's the seventh round. The last seventh rounder who was even remotely decent was Riemermsma, and that was ages ago in football years. If he's OK on special teams, that's all good. That's why he was drafted, you know.

Who were guys hoping for - the next Terrence Pennington?

That's weak, Dave, and you know it. Do you honestly want to say this team is rock solid at every position and so much so that burning your last few draft picks all on the same area is a necessary and prudent team development strategy? OK, yeah, it's a 5th, 6th, 7th rounder -- but at least give a passing wave to having a little fuggin competition in some areas. Why would you not want that?!?

That's weak, Dave, and you know it. Do you honestly want to say this team is rock solid at every position and so much so that burning your last few draft picks all on the same area is a necessary and prudent team development strategy? OK, yeah, it's a 5th, 6th, 7th rounder -- but at least give a passing wave to having a little fuggin competition in some areas. Why would you not want that?!?

I agree, it's a waste of a pick.

Yea, on any given play there are 4-5 defensive backs and you guys are upset we used our 6th and 7th round draft picks on CBs. Get real. This isn't madden or your fantasy mock drafts where you recognize freeman or jean-francois and they are great. Come back in 2-3 years and let's see who is more important in the league, one of our CBs or freeman and francois.....

Exactly...But it's actually worse than that...

There are 4 Starters at DB on every NFL Team which is exactly 18.18% of Starters...

Since Ol' Dead Dick has come to town The Buffalo Bills have Picked 34 times in 4 Years...With those 34 Picks they have drafted 10 DB's...That's almost 30% of their Draft Picks at DB...They have Drafted a DB in the 1st Round two out of those four Drafts...In Rounds 1-4 The Bills have Drafted 6 DB's over the last 4 Drafts...Keep that in mind when you remember they had a street Free Agent Starting at SS in 08...

And so on, and so on...

Now if this was a Team that was constantly getting beat by the Pass because their DB's can't cover it would be one thing...But this is a Team on Defense that has continuously been beat in the trenches, not in the Secondary (with the possible exception of 2007 when Injuries in the Defensive Backfield were just crazy)...The Bills get almost no pressure on opposing QB and while it's nice that they took Maybin, why not take a chance on one more guy who has Pass Rush capablities at the expense of a DB on Day 2? Just for the heck of it...

More than anything the need to Draft 3 more DB's in 09 proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Bills have done a piss poor job of Drafting DB's in the previous 3 years...It's a lot of wasted Picks...And if you think these late Round Picks can't pan out well along the interior lines check out the Bills Depth Chart at O-Line in 09...Especially on the Right Side where they are expecting a 5th Round Pick to Start at RG and a 7th Round Pick to Start at RT...One of their Starting DT's is a 5th Round Pick...A Starting LB is a 6th round Pick...It is possible...When you're not obsessed with Drafting DB's that is...<_<

Please email this to someone at OBD and ask for an explanation. Excellent points all around. :thumbsup:

I know you don't normally expect late round picks to do much in the NFL, but continually drafting guys that play the same position as well-established starters just pretty well ensures that they won't do much. IMO, what they just did is tantamount to throwing these picks away. Why not at least try and get someone that could contribute to the team or at the very least trade them away for something next year if you just don't want them?

Yea, on any given play there are 4-5 defensive backs and you guys are upset we used our 6th and 7th round draft picks on CBs. Get real. This isn't madden or your fantasy mock drafts where you recognize freeman or jean-francois and they are great. Come back in 2-3 years and let's see who is more important in the league, one of our CBs or freeman and francois.....

Yea, because the Bills' previous 6th- and 7th-round CBs are lighting it up. Oh, wait ... anyone seen Kennard Cox lately? Kevin Thomas? Jimmy Williams? That takes us back to 2001.

On the other hand, some previous late picks at other positions have contributed, either here or elsewhere. (Although, oddly, not so much after Donahoe got here.) Jay Riemersma. Bryce Fisher. Heck, even Mario Haggan. And now, we're apparently counting on one of last year's 7th-rounders to be an integral part of the OT rotation.

Yea, because the Bills' previous 6th- and 7th-round CBs are lighting it up. Oh, wait ... anyone seen Kennard Cox lately? Kevin Thomas? Jimmy Williams? That takes us back to 2001.

On the other hand, some previous late picks at other positions have contributed, either here or elsewhere. (Although, oddly, not so much after Donahoe got here.) Jay Riemersma. Bryce Fisher. Heck, even Mario Haggan. And now, we're apparently counting on one of last year's 7th-rounders to be an integral part of the OT rotation.

:thumbsup:<_<

Yea, and the other 20 7th rounders we picked that are nobodies??? Hmm, seems to me it is a crapshoot since is is the SIXTH and SEVENTH round. You only take the players you think can make the team or contribute in some shape or form. You do NOT use the last roudns to fill needs ever. If the bills thought these cornerbacks can contribute, then so be it.

I have never heard of a group of people complaining about the 6th and 7th rounds before. Ever. You people amaze me.

Tom Nutten won a Super Bowl with the Rams. Kurt Schulz. Mark Pike was a 7th rounder.

You said you a gansta but you never pop nuttin'

We said you a lankster and you need to stop frontin'

You ain't a friend of mine, (yeah)

You ain't no kin of mine, (nah)

What makes you think that I wont run up on you with the nine

We do this all the time, right now we on the grind

So hurry up and copy and go selling nicks and dimes

Shorty she so fine, I gotta make her mine

A ass like that gotta be one of a kind

I crush 'em everytime, punch 'em with every line

I'm !@#$ing with they mind

I make 'em press rewind

They know they can't shine if I'm around the rhyme

Been on parole since 94 cause I commit the crime

I send you my line, I did it three to nine

If D's ran up in my crib, you know who dropping dimes

Please email this to someone at OBD and ask for an explanation. Excellent points all around. :thumbsup:

I know you don't normally expect late round picks to do much in the NFL, but continually drafting guys that play the same position as well-established starters just pretty well ensures that they won't do much. IMO, what they just did is tantamount to throwing these picks away. Why not at least try and get someone that could contribute to the team or at the very least trade them away for something next year if you just don't want them?

Looking at events as they have played out in the real world, I hope that these players reach the level of key contributions to the team that 7th round draft pick Mario Haggan achieved.

No one who has paid much attention to football would mistake him for a a player adequate to be a position player for the Bills on any kind of consistent basis.

However, he was a key part of an ST unit which by any of the mathematic measures generally agreed to be an accurate projection of ST output Haggan was a key player in this unit.

On the odd occurrence a late round pick (or even a UDFA like Peters) will turn out to be a starter. However this rare occurrence should not drive your drafting strategy as much as the faillure of Kennard Cox should not drive your strategy.

My assumption is that these players were the next ones up on the Bills value board to contribute to an ST that once again was #1 in the NFL by most statistical measures.

Assuming this was the logic behind this pick and a CB in the 6th I have no problem with these picks

Exactly...But it's actually worse than that...

There are 4 Starters at DB on every NFL Team which is exactly 18.18% of Starters...

Since Ol' Dead Dick has come to town The Buffalo Bills have Picked 34 times in 4 Years...With those 34 Picks they have drafted 10 DB's...That's almost 30% of their Draft Picks at DB...They have Drafted a DB in the 1st Round two out of those four Drafts...In Rounds 1-4 The Bills have Drafted 6 DB's over the last 4 Drafts...Keep that in mind when you remember they had a street Free Agent Starting at SS in 08...

And so on, and so on...

Now if this was a Team that was constantly getting beat by the Pass because their DB's can't cover it would be one thing...But this is a Team on Defense that has continuously been beat in the trenches, not in the Secondary (with the possible exception of 2007 when Injuries in the Defensive Backfield were just crazy)...The Bills get almost no pressure on opposing QB and while it's nice that they took Maybin, why not take a chance on one more guy who has Pass Rush capablities at the expense of a DB on Day 2? Just for the heck of it...

More than anything the need to Draft 3 more DB's in 09 proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Bills have done a piss poor job of Drafting DB's in the previous 3 years...It's a lot of wasted Picks...And if you think these late Round Picks can't pan out well along the interior lines check out the Bills Depth Chart at O-Line in 09...Especially on the Right Side where they are expecting a 5th Round Pick to Start at RG and a 7th Round Pick to Start at RT...One of their Starting DT's is a 5th Round Pick...A Starting LB is a 6th round Pick...It is possible...When you're not obsessed with Drafting DB's that is...:thumbsup:

Let me explain what is really flawed in your post...SAFETIES AND CORNER BACKS ARE IN NO WAY THE SAME POSITION AND ANYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED A DOWN OF FOOTBALL KNOWS THIS.

Why dont you lump TE in with WR too...geezus

They are completely DIFFERENT positions...and we ONLY drafted ONE, count that again, ONE CB...Byrd is a S, N. Harris is a LB, Carey is a STEAL in 6th for CB depth and maybe safety depth, and Lankster is ST...thats one CB...not 4

So, go redo your math taking out Whitner who is a Safety and the 3 guys drafted today who were NOT drafted to be a CB.

Let me explain what is really flawed in your post...SAFETIES AND CORNER BACKS ARE IN NO WAY THE SAME POSITION AND ANYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED A DOWN OF FOOTBALL KNOWS THIS.

Why dont you lump TE in with WR too...geezus

They are completely DIFFERENT positions...and we ONLY drafted ONE, count that again, ONE CB...Byrd is a S, N. Harris is a LB, Carey is a STEAL in 6th for CB depth and maybe safety depth, and Lankster is ST...thats one CB...not 4

So, go redo your math taking out Whitner who is a Safety and the 3 guys drafted today who were NOT drafted to be a CB.

That's why I said DB's throughout My Post genius...DB = Safeties + Cornerbacks...Let Me know if this is getting too tough for you to follow and I'll slow down a bit...

Now go back to sleep...

And btw...You have taken over as My "least favorite Poster" on this Board...And it's not even a close contest...You are so ultra-obsessed about what others write, and the opinion of others, it's a complete and total joke...You care more about what others think than you do about what the Bills are actually doing...Welcome to ignore... :thumbsup: