AFC:

1 - Baltimore Ravens

6 - Tennessee Titans

6 - Pittsburgh Steelers

8 - Miami Dolphins

11 - Indianapolis Colts

11 - San Diego Chargers

27 - Buffalo Bills

So, no one here thinks that a guy for a nose for the ball can help this team? Has anyone ever seen the the turnover differential stats vs. wins/losses?

Yep. Turnovers are the most telling stat in football. Hopefully Byrd can make that transition and be a ballhawk at FS. But does he have the range? His timed speed leaves a lot to be desired. Whitner needs to step it up and emerge as a big time player and play like the number eight overall pick he is.

Yep. Turnovers are the most telling stat in football. Hopefully Byrd can make that transition and be a ballhawk at FS. But does he have the range? His timed speed leaves a lot to be desired. Whitner needs to step it up and emerge as a big time player and play like the number eight overall pick he is.

Ed Reed: Time: 4.57s

Instincts, break, angles, intelligence, nose for the ball, and hands are ALL far more important than the 6 inches that separates a 4.4 guy from a 4.6 guy in the vast majority of the plays where pure speed factors in.

Bills seem to like safeties that can cover at the corner. We'll see how this pick goes but I am not happy with it on principle - far too many other gaps to be filled.

AFC:

1 - Baltimore Ravens

6 - Tennessee Titans

6 - Pittsburgh Steelers

8 - Miami Dolphins

11 - Indianapolis Colts

11 - San Diego Chargers

27 - Buffalo Bills

So, no one here thinks that a guy for a nose for the ball can help this team? Has anyone ever seen the the turnover differential stats vs. wins/losses?

I do agree that this guy can cause some turnovers. But those teams get turnovers because they get pressure on the QB and force him to make a bad decision. No pressure, no turnovers.

I don't think there's anyone who would argue with you that more interceptions would be better. But this stat doesn't tell you anything about safeties. I tend to think a good pass rush is the most important factor in generating turnovers.

Ed Reed: Time: 4.57s

Damn! And they were saying Byrd could be a Reed-type player in terms of being a ballhawk at FS.

I didn't know he timed that slow. Reed is crazy fast on the field.

If the Bills do in fact plan on playing him at FS, then this pick isn't so bad. 17 INTs in three years is pretty impressive. Here's hoping it works out for us.

Times are spec. If it's the playoffs and Byrd intercepts a pass and has a wide open field in front of him, I bet he'd smoke his pre-draft time.

Most likely, that 4.67 or whatever he ran wasn't representative of what he'd normally run, anyway. He's been injured and wasn't able to work out at Oregon's Pro Day. You can probably safely knock a tenth or so off that time, I'd guess.

I don't think there's anyone who would argue with you that more interceptions would be better. But this stat doesn't tell you anything about safeties. I tend to think a good pass rush is the most important factor in generating turnovers.

So, you can put just about anyone back there huh?

Not doubting you SDS, but are you sure that's an accurate 40 time for Ed Reed? He sure plays a lot faster than that! :thumbsup:

Football speed vs. track speed.

Bryd seems to play faster than he measures because he appears to have the knack for 'anticipation' that Reed has. Not saying he's in that class, but the video I've seen of him typically shows Bryd reading the QB and taking good angles on the route, rather than just chasing the WR around the field. That's a hard skill to find.

The single most impressive play I saw last year was Ed Reed's second INT of Pennington in the playoff game.

"Backed up at the Ravens' 15-yard line, Reed picked off Pennington's throw over the middle. This interception was easier than the first one for Reed.

Pennington "was staring down [his receiver]. That drew me over there," Reed said.

Pennington acknowledged that Reed had baited him.

"He totally leaves his spot and shows up in a place you would never imagine him being in," Pennington said. "That's why he's special."

Found this on nfl.com...

"Thomas George, NFL.com

When we talk impact guys, I mean guys that can come in, find a role, produce in it and increase it as the season moves forward. And four player in particular in the second round fit that bill for me. Robiskie in Cleveland gives the Browns sure hands and playmaking at receiver. He will be a gift for Quinn or Anderson, whiever one wins the starting job. Byrd as a corner in Buffalo will produce. The son of a former NFL star, I had the pleasure of visting with him in a personal setting prior to the draft and left impressed with his approach and maturity. On the field, a natural talent. Pat White in Miami will be a fun player to watch inside and on the edges. And LeSean McCoy in Philadelphia is a new toy for both coach Andy Reid and quarterback Donovan McNabb. "

I like impact players, escpecially if he can play FS!!!

Not doubting you SDS, but are you sure that's an accurate 40 time for Ed Reed? He sure plays a lot faster than that! :thumbsup:

Have you ever seen a 40 yard dash? The difference in .10 to .20 in terms of distance in a finish is not much and matters more in 1 on 1 seperation. Its important in the NFL for WR's and CB's becuase a completed pass often comes down to small seperation or split second anticipation.

However, at Safety, this time is severly diminished because they play on timing and angles. A forty time like Byrd's is actually fine for a safety, especially one that has great anticipation and takes good angles. Look at how dangerous he was a kick returner, his speed is more than enough.

Also, 40 yard dash times become meaningless when you get your pads on...there are the track fast guys and then there are the FOOTBALL fast guys who play faster in game. Ed Reed isnt the fastest guy in 40 yard dash, but very few play as fast as him in game as an example...

Found this on nfl.com...

"Thomas George, NFL.com

When we talk impact guys, I mean guys that can come in, find a role, produce in it and increase it as the season moves forward. And four player in particular in the second round fit that bill for me. Robiskie in Cleveland gives the Browns sure hands and playmaking at receiver. He will be a gift for Quinn or Anderson, whiever one wins the starting job. Byrd as a corner in Buffalo will produce. The son of a former NFL star, I had the pleasure of visting with him in a personal setting prior to the draft and left impressed with his approach and maturity. On the field, a natural talent. Pat White in Miami will be a fun player to watch inside and on the edges. And LeSean McCoy in Philadelphia is a new toy for both coach Andy Reid and quarterback Donovan McNabb. "

I like impact players, escpecially if he can play FS!!!

Byrd will be a very solid FS for us. I have a few friends with ESPN who are from the Washington State and they say this guy is great. The Ed Reed comparison is obviously premature but he has a knack for hte ball which is exactly what we just lost with Greer. It will be a better move than Ko Simpson at FS. Whitner is not a turnover machine, nor should he be expected to be. He is a strong run supporter and a guy that can hang with RB's and smaller TE's that break out of the back field. thats where he excels. putting a guy with good ball instincts (anyone remember mark kelso?) along side whitner is a great move. I suspect Ko gets cut soon...

i hate to say it, but Brandon might be doing some good work as GM, at least i am more impressed than I have been in a few years...