For those of you who say we don't need a Free Safety

SDS

So, you can put just about anyone back there huh?

No, not "anyone", but I think you can get by with an average guy if you have a good pass rush. Of course, I think the Bills last year lacked both a good pass rush and average talent at FS.

In any case, my point remains, simply pointing to teams' interception rankings says nothing about whether having a top-tier safety is important.

I like the player.

The pick? Not sure. Are the Bills running up the white flag on Levy's first draft? Or are the secondary problems, like some claim, wholly due to the front 7? To be sure, there is no pass rush and that hurts any DB. But, the safeties just haven't done enough and at times have been outplayed by the reserves.

No, not "anyone", but I think you can get by with an average guy if you have a good pass rush. Of course, I think the Bills last year lacked both a good pass rush and average talent at FS.

In any case, my point remains, simply pointing to teams' interception rankings says nothing about whether having a top-tier safety is important.

or you could just look at the teams and make your own conclusion. :thumbsup:

what's a pass rush??

I like the player.

The pick? Not sure. Are the Bills running up the white flag on Levy's first draft? Or are the secondary problems, like some claim, wholly due to the front 7? To be sure, there is no pass rush and that hurts any DB. But, the safeties just haven't done enough and at times have been outplayed by the reserves.

Absolutely. If Lil' Donte shows ANY kind of play-making skills, this pick would never have been made.

AFC:

1 - Baltimore Ravens

6 - Tennessee Titans

6 - Pittsburgh Steelers

8 - Miami Dolphins

11 - Indianapolis Colts

11 - San Diego Chargers

27 - Buffalo Bills

So, no one here thinks that a guy for a nose for the ball can help this team? Has anyone ever seen the the turnover differential stats vs. wins/losses?

completely agree--love the pick

Ed Reed is so "fast" to the ball because he watches more film than other safety in the NFL. The dude does his homework and as a result is able to anticpate and make plays. Its not that he is fast or slow, its that he is prepared. You study for a test and then rely on what your gut tells you, that is what Reed does as a safety making plays for the Baltimore Ravens. He studies then goes with his gut and makes a great interception time after time.

AFC:

1 - Baltimore Ravens

6 - Tennessee Titans

6 - Pittsburgh Steelers

8 - Miami Dolphins

11 - Indianapolis Colts

11 - San Diego Chargers

27 - Buffalo Bills

So, no one here thinks that a guy for a nose for the ball can help this team? Has anyone ever seen the the turnover differential stats vs. wins/losses?

These numbers are not to be brushed off, but they do not stand alone. Pass rush and climate matter big time. And while good players do need to be in the secondary, the Bills have proven in the last decade and more that is simply not the way to build a team, unless losing is the goal.