Swine flu back at it...blamed for 60 deaths

Beerball

They need to quarantine New York City so we don't see any more serious casualties

Though the city is urging everyone to maintain their normal routine, stressing there's no reason to avoid travel to New York City, organizers for the Cinco de Mayo festival in Queens have decided to postpone this weekend's event.

:devil:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to quarantine New York City so we don't see any more serious casualties

Though the city is urging everyone to maintain their normal routine, stressing there's no reason to avoid travel to New York City, organizers for the Cinco de Mayo festival in Queens have decided to postpone this weekend's event.

:devil:

I mean I can understand the fear... I had a real bad stomach bug this week... Normally, I wouldn't have gone to the doc... But, this time I said: "What the heck!" After about 2 days. Then stuff like notes about B19 virus going around my child's school and a classmate that just took her spring holiday to Mexico... It does get you wondering.

Better safe than sorry, I guess...

Another note... If 1918's (flu) was a swine derivative, why was that called "Spanish Flu?" What is up with that? :wallbash::P

Did you see where Mexico was blaming Asia?

Seriously?

War-time censorship. Spain was the first country to report the pandemic, because their media wasn't subject to press restrictions by their government. So the reports started there.

Best guess I've ever heard is that the 1918 flu actually started in Iowa.

Seriously?

War-time censorship. Spain was the first country to report the pandemic, because their media wasn't subject to press restrictions by their government. So the reports started there.

Best guess I've ever heard is that the 1918 flu actually started in Iowa.

If there truly is a relationship to the 1918 strain and pigs it could make sense that it started in Iowa given that it is a significant hog producing state.

This morning NPR ran a piece on how the media coverage leaned towards fear mongering over this issue. They revealed how just in questioning people in the media played to people's fears over the circumstances. We are a long way away from the ide that the primary purpose of the media is supposed to report who, what, where, when and why vs the practice today of hyping issues or fears for the sake of ratings.

This morning NPR ran a piece on how the media coverage leaned towards fear mongering over this issue. They revealed how just in questioning people in the media played to people's fears over the circumstances. We are a long way away from the ide that the primary purpose of the media is supposed to report who, what, where, when and why vs the practice today of hyping issues or fears for the sake of ratings.

Honestly? I don't think it was done for ratings. The way I see it, it's just like forecasting a storm. Once someone mentions what could be the worst-case scenario, some people take that as what WILL happen, and the story snowballs into an avalanche. Chicken Little syndrome, if you will.

Honestly? I don't think it was done for ratings. The way I see it, it's just like forecasting a storm. Once someone mentions what could be the worst-case scenario, some people take that as what WILL happen, and the story snowballs into an avalanche. Chicken Little syndrome, if you will.

Understand that it is wrong to say all "media" is a part of the problem that I was trying to express. For example, the V.P. did not help matters when he threw out comments about avoiding air travel and the subways. With that said, the point of the NPR story this morning was to expose several examples of where individuals from the media asked questions in the pattern of the old - have you beaten your wife lately? - The point that was being made is that the structure and verbiage of the questions appeared to be very intentional and clearly put a slant on the story being reported.

I understand that as a person working within the press that perhaps there is some desire on your part to broadly defend the coverage. I would say that this is the opposite side of the same generality that I threw out. To your point perhaps there were cases where the facts of the story were balanced and reported appropriately. However, there were several major 24 hour news stations that at a minimum did a poor job of controlling bias in their reporting and at the worst were expressly guilty of building people's fears and then playing to them for ratings.

Finally, I agree with your point that the public is just as culpable in the scenario as too many seem to get excited about the perceived threat that comes from situations like a flu pandemic (or storm). People need to use their brains to figure out what is fact and what is hype. Perhaps I am overly sensitive because in my job I was hearing from employees who were suggesting we needed to close out business down or take special actions based on their perceptions of what they were hearing from coverage. The whole notion of this was insane. We have not had, nor do I expect we will have, one case of the swine flu among our employee population.

The situation was much better addressed by two simple actions. Wash your hands properly and regularly (soap is provided - as is purell (sp?)); if you have to cough or sneeze cover your mouth and if necessary wash your hands after doing so.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the coverage hype. Some of it was so far over the top, I hope those reporters were wearing parachutes. (Or maybe not. <_< )

I will continue to think that it was merely an overreaction, not a cynical ratings ploy, though. Just my opinion. (Or my hope, if you will.)

7 people have died according to the WHO...last time I checked. I bet 7 people have died from sneezing in that same time. You were worried about a 'pandemic' that killed 7 people? :rolleyes:

just checked...'official' toll is anywhere from 16-22

1 in the US

yeah, but aren't those mostly old people and little kids? Honestly, what's worried me about the swine flu is that healthy people b/w 21-40 have died.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the coverage hype. Some of it was so far over the top, I hope those reporters were wearing parachutes. (Or maybe not. :rolleyes: )

I will continue to think that it was merely an overreaction, not a cynical ratings ploy, though. Just my opinion. (Or my hope, if you will.)

fair enough -- thanks for the clarification -- good respnse

yeah, but aren't those mostly old people and little kids? Honestly, what's worried me about the swine flu is that healthy people b/w 21-40 have died.

Name one healthy person that can possibly live in Mexico City. :devil::devil:

Doesn't swine flu types strike the respiratory system?... Living in Mexico City has to be in itself an "underlying health issue." :(:D

Oh... Did anybody see why Egypt really slaughtered all the swine int he country? It was fascinating how they handle the garbage disposal in a city like Cairo. I think they are called the Zabbaleen...

Zabbaleen

The swine they have (Zabbaleen) are used to eat the organic material... Of course the swine live in the teeming slums right next to the people... And then sold amongst the Christian minority.

I guess Egypt used the same excuse a few years ago with the avian flu... I really can't blame them for using it as an excuse to clean (pun intended) the hog raising system. I guess Egypt has plans to eventually import all new swine and raise them in more modern ways.

Just imagine if a virulent swine flu took off in those teeming slums and spread world wide!