Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Tony Iommi (Sabbath)

Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

Michael Hedges (sadly deceased) Solo

Larry Coryell (Solo)

The Young Brothers (Angus & Malcolm) (AC/DC)

Craig Chaquico (Starship & Solo)

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple & Rainbow)

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Bob Welch (Fleetwood Mac & Solo)

Brian May (Queen)

Stevie Ray Vaughn (Double Trouble)

to name a few...ahem

underrated?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had second row seats to see Bowie once, on the (wretched) Glass Spider tour. Unfortunately, for me, my seats were 2nd row, stage right, right smack dab in front of guitarist Peter Frampton. I have never been so repulsed watching a musician...

As long as we are throwing out guitar players that aren't really "underrated", I nominate Neil Young... great guitarist, great performer, and usually great songwriter...

Neil Young?? great guitarist?? his songs are 2 chords of strumming...I mean he is proficient..but come on..

Neil Young?? great guitarist?? his songs are 2 chords of strumming...I mean he is proficient..but come on..

I might have agreed with you, if I had never seen him live...but the guy can play. I don't know how familiar you are with NY's records, but a lot of people, who know his stuff casually (ie: the classic rock radio hits) might think of him as lightweight, but listen to things like "Cowgirl In the Sand", or "Cortez" and you will know what I mean.

He isn't a wanker like a lot of guys lister here, but he gets everything he can out of his fingers and his guitar...he fights with the guitar...kind of like Charlie Parker fought his horn...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this was said yet...but one of the absolutely most underrated guitarists is NUNO BETTENCOURT of the band EXTREME. their hit song "more than words" does not do his work justice- but this crappy video give you a sense of the guy's mad skills:

Stupid useless trvia: There was once a racehorse named Nureyev named after russian dance Rudolph Nureyev - who had a $500k+ insurance policy on his legs. One of his offspring was creatively named Bettencourt. Nuno Bettencourt's record label supposidly had a million plus dollar policy on his fingers.

John Petrucci - Dream Theater

I say underrated only because most haven't heard of him.

Winner here, the man is phenomenal. Randy Rhoads for greatest no longer with us. He doesent get talked about much anymore, had he lived I believe music would be different.Beethoven had nothin on this guy.

I might have agreed with you, if I had never seen him live...but the guy can play. I don't know how familiar you are with NY's records, but a lot of people, who know his stuff casually (ie: the classic rock radio hits) might think of him as lightweight, but listen to things like "Cowgirl In the Sand", or "Cortez" and you will know what I mean.

He isn't a wanker like a lot of guys lister here, but he gets everything he can out of his fingers and his guitar...he fights with the guitar...kind of like Charlie Parker fought his horn...

Ive seen him live several times going back over 30 years. He is a very proficient guitar player.Gets the job done.

Rock music isn't about great musicianship...its about heart and creativity. I love Neil Young's music.

I don't think Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Eddie Van Halen are underrated. I actually think EVH is overrated.

But let me add

Eddie is probably the most overrated musician of all time...or at least my lifetime. He makes it look hard, though

As always, I'd add Roy Buchanan to the underrated guitarists of all time:

Roy is probably more "unknown" than "underrated"...but, alas, he has passed. RIP, Roy.

Kelly mentioned one I was going to add. Lowell George had a unique style and was something special.

But, I will add one more musician that is totally overlooked, and very much alive. Les Dudek may be underrated/unknown to most, but he isn't underrated by his fellow musicians. He plays with many of the better bands (and guitarists) around. Here are a couple from one of Les' early albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJ7zNivNlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmzPvRp4I1g

I think that living in the shadow of McCartney and Lennon made Harrison under rated. He was one of the best guitar players ever.

Linkage;

Harrison developed his style and technique slowly and painstakingly over the several years, learning everything he could from the records of Carl Perkins, Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins, Buddy Holly, and Eddie Cochran. By age 15, he was allowed to sit in with the Quarry Men, the Liverpool group founded by John Lennon, of which McCartney was a member; by 16, he was a full-fledged member of the group.

Some trivia;

Eric Clapton plays guitar on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Another piece of Beatles trivia is that Paul McCartney plays drums on "The Ballad of John and Yoko."