Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Tony Iommi (Sabbath)

Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

Michael Hedges (sadly deceased) Solo

Larry Coryell (Solo)

The Young Brothers (Angus & Malcolm) (AC/DC)

Craig Chaquico (Starship & Solo)

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple & Rainbow)

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Bob Welch (Fleetwood Mac & Solo)

Brian May (Queen)

Stevie Ray Vaughn (Double Trouble)

to name a few...ahem

I don't think Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Eddie Van Halen are underrated. I actually think EVH is overrated.

But let me add

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolling Stone seems to agree.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...ted-guitarists/

Phil Keaggy is on that list and I have to agree, he did a guest appearance when Dispatch came back for their final shows. It was pretty sick.

Rolling Stone is a fcking joke.

Kurt Cobain?

Underrated? GOOD?

HA!

He was a terrible guitar player. Awful.

I agree that Lifeson is way underrated.

I actually think EVH is overrated.

I'm not the world's biggest VH/EVH fan, but I don't know if it's possible to overrate him as a guitar player.

The one think that I've always found unique about him is the way he can take a phrase which on paper should not fit, and yet when you hear it, it makes perfect sense.

I'm not the world's biggest VH/EVH fan, but I don't know if it's possible to overrate him as a guitar player.

The one think that I've always found unique about him is the way he can take a phrase which on paper should not fit, and yet when you hear it, it makes perfect sense.

EVH is dumped on a lot because of the antics of DLR, which dominated and diminished the musical accomplishments of the band, IMHO. The fact that EVH can't read music (his own words) makes me appreciate his ability that much more.

EVH is dumped on a lot because of the antics of DLR, which dominated and diminished the musical accomplishments of the band, IMHO. The fact that EVH can't read music (his own words) makes me appreciate his ability that much more.

I don't know, I just think he's dumb as a post. I know many musicians are but for god sakes Eddie, learn how to read music.

The two I get off the top of my head are Lindsay Buckingham and Mike Campbell.

Lindsay Buckingham is from Fleetwood Mac for those who don't know and Mike Campbell is the Heartbreakers lead guitarist.

BTW, How Buckingham and Nicks ended up in FM is kind of interesting. After Bob Welch left the band they were looking for a new guitarist. Mick Fleetwood walked into a studio to talk to a friend who was mixing some stuff from the Buckingham/Nicks album and Mick asked who the guitarist was. It was Buckingham and Mick asked the friend if he thought the guy might be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac. His friend told him that he wouldn't come without his girlfriend (Stevie Nicks) most likely.

Fleetwood Mac never auditions people they want in the band they just invite them or people are recommended to them. (i.e. Bob Welch) So they decided to meet them for dinner. Mick and John told Christine that if she didn't want the girl in the band they would go in another direction. Christine got along really well with Stevie and as they say the rest is history.

Mike Campbell's best work is on songs like "Here Comes My Girl" great riff.

Too many draft posts this week I thought this might be a fun distraction. :thumbsup:

Mmmmm ... LiddyBuck. Saw the Mac in Buffalo in '03, decided I *HAD* to see him again, so a friend and I drove to Indy and dropped a bunch of money on good seats -- four rows back, right in front of him. Gawd, that guy can shred strings. I'm still kicking myself for not going when they were in Rochester last month, but it would've been tough to top that Indy trip ...

Question:

When, when you ask us to stick to rock and roll, who exactly are we leaving out here: Beethoven, Sinatra, Yanni, the Schmenge Brothers?

Not many other genres are actually defined by a guitar player, really. Jazz? Perhaps. Country? Well, that's more of a vocal medium, though Buck Owens could pick a mean banjo, while Mr. Johnny Cash and Mr. Hank Williams could very well be defined as rockers in my book.

Of course, you could be referring to the nerd strumming an acoustic guitar on the stairs of the frat house in Animal House, but I do believe John Belushi took care of that guy. :thumbsup:

jw

Rolling Stone is a fcking joke.

Kurt Cobain?

Underrated? GOOD?

HA!

He was a terrible guitar player. Awful.

I agree that Lifeson is way underrated.

Agreed, Cobain was a talented songwriter, but was a very average - at best - guitar player. Leave it to RS to put him @ #2. Next, they'll write that Stu Sutcliffe was an under-rated Bassist. . . All he did was face away from the audience cuz he couldn't play very well.

Actually, probably not. I like the Beatles, so RS wouldn't pay them a lick of attention.

I believe that 'nerd' was Elvin Bishop, not a bad gee-tar player in his own right

my bad...stephen bishop, not elvin bishop

Of course, you could be referring to the nerd strumming an acoustic guitar on the stairs of the frat house in Animal House, but I do believe John Belushi took care of that guy. :thumbsup:

jw

I don't know, I just think he's dumb as a post. I know many musicians are but for god sakes Eddie, learn how to read music.

He's no rocket scientist, that's for sure. But a lot of the great blues players couldn't read a lick of music, either. That, in and of itself, has no bearing on his talent. In fact, it's unlikely that learning to read music at this point, would have little if any effect on his playing ability.

My wife can read music, but she plays like Haystack Calhoun. (I categorically deny ever having said this).

I don’t think being able to read music is all that important for a guitar player. Standard music notation seems kind of awkward for guitar. You pretty much just need to know the chord progression and if you needed to transcribe a lead line or solo, tablature is much much better and easier in my opinion. I'm sure someone like EVH has a very advanced understanding of music theory whether or not he can actually "read music." Same for just about everyone mentioned in this thread.

I don’t think being able to read music is all that important for a guitar player. Standard music notation seems kind of awkward for guitar. You pretty much just need to know the chord progression and if you needed to transcribe a lead line or solo, tablature is much much better and easier in my opinion. I'm sure someone like EVH has a very advanced understanding of music theory whether or not he can actually "read music." Same for just about everyone mentioned in this thread.

Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimmy Page can't (couldn't) read music. Pretty good company.

I actually think EVH is overrated.

Thank you ... he was revolutionary for his time (30 YEARS AGO!!!), but his playing gets old after a while. Not a big fan of speed guitar.

Under-rated ... hell ... I never know which one is playing ... Dave Murray and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden.