WalterFootball's reaction to the Peter's trade.

http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

The Jason Peters Trade and the 2009 NFL Draft - My Thoughts

I don't think I've missed an NFL preseason game in years. When I tell people this, they usually give me a dirty look or ask me if I've recently escaped from the local mental institution. I then have to explain that I watch the first three weeks of the preseason (the final week doesn't count because no one plays except for practice squad guys) for fantasy purposes.

For instance, in 2007, I noted on this Web site that Tom Brady's first read on almost every play was Wes Welker. I named Welker one of my fantasy sleepers and told my readers to take him in the middle rounds. A few months later, Welker finished the year tied for the league lead in receptions with T.J. Houshmandzadeh. That's why I'm more than happy to tune into a Browns-Lions preseason contest.

When these people hear my explanation and decide not to have me committed, they usually ask if I watch the Pro Bowl as well. To that, I smile and proudly boast, "I've been a football fan since I was about 10 years old, and I've never watched the Pro Bowl."

The Pro Bowl is a joke. Some of the top players opt out. Those who go don't really try. It's not even a real football game. And it's impossible to bet on because no one puts forth any effort. As a degenerate gambler, I do not find this appealing.

However, the reason I hate the Pro Bowl more than anything is that there are far too many crappy players named to the two squads. I don't think the NFL should strip the fans of all of the decision-making, but it's a joke because there too many clueless voters out there.

Jason Peters is the perfect example. Peters, a 6-4, 340-pound mauling left tackle, is entering his sixth year. In 2006, he started all 16 games and surrendered just two sacks.

I later wrote of Peters, "[He] has emerged as one of the top left tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, Peters is holding out because he wants to renegotiate his contract. I say pay the man. Peters is in the middle of a 5-year deal worth $15 million. He's one of the best players at his position, and he certainly deserves a lot more than he's currently making."

So, should my Pro Bowl voting rights be revoked as well because I considered Peters a top talent? No; not for this reason anyway. Since the 2006 campaign, Peters' play has regressed exponentially. In 2007, Peters gave up six sacks in 15 contests. And last year, things got downright ugly, as Peters surrendered a whopping 11.5 sacks in just 13 games, good for tops in the NFL. Peters was also whistled for eight penalties, a career high for him.

Now you see why I hate the Pro Bowl so much. How could the league's worst left tackle, statistically speaking, be voted in as one of the premier players at his position?

Moreover, how could Andy Reid give up the No. 28 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft for him? You can suggest that Reid was too busy waiting in line all year at Geno's Steaks to watch film on Peters or even check his stats, but doing so wouldn't be too classy. I mean, what kind of Web site makes fun of fat coaches and NFL analysts who can't even come close to speaking proper English?

I don't like this trade at all for Philadelphia; the team would have been better served trading up for Michael Oher or William Beatty, or simply sliding Todd Herremans over to left tackle. As mentioned, Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. Newly acquired right tackle Shawn Andrews, coming off knee surgery, allowed 9.5 sacks last season.

Either the Eagles missed the 2008 season entirely, or are trying their hardest to get Donovan McNabb injured so the highly anticipated Kevin Kolb era can commence as quickly as possible. On the bright side, they'll probably serve McNabb some Chunky Soup while he's lying in bed at the hospital.

From Buffalo's perspective, the deal was a lucrative one. The organization avoided overpaying for one of the NFL's most overrated players. The Bills can take Oher or Andre Smith at No. 11 overall. They'll be able to spend the No. 28 selection on a much-needed pass-rusher, such as Larry English or Michael Johnson. And now, they'll be free to spend their second-round choice on the best tight end or linebacker available.

Seems like a fair trade for the Bills. The only downside to the deal is that their fans will have one less Pro Bowler to root for. Not that anyone watches that stupid game anyway.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Genius and using last season as our guide, Peters was pretty much a 1 year wonder. You don't give a guy 10% of your entire salary cap unless he is 10% of the reason you win, he wasn't nor did the Bills top

7-9.

Genius and using last season as our guide, Peters was pretty much a 1 year wonder. You don't give a guy 10% of your entire salary cap unless he is 10% of the reason you win, he wasn't nor did the Bills top

7-9.

Oddly, that makes sense...lmao

The #28 pick is overpaying for a starting NFL left tackle? Jason Peters has plenty of film prior to 2008 that might make his a good pickup for that price. Brandon was willing to pay Peters $9M, I think that salary offer might indicate he was worth a #28 selection if not more. Let's pull this piece out in November to see if it makes any sense.

Moreover, how could Andy Reid give up the No. 28 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft for him? You can suggest that Reid was too busy waiting in line all year at Geno's Steaks to watch film on Peters or even check his stats, but doing so wouldn't be too classy.

Yeah, that guy said everything that some of us have already said, but I'm glad some NON-Bills fan said it because now it will carry a little more weight for those who think that every move the Bills make is flawed. Plus, it's on the Internet!

7-9.

BUMP BUMP BUMP

And this makes absolute sense when put that way. Also I do believe we should have either gotten a 3rd instead of the 4th, or at least the 21st pick.

All that being said, I think it will be clear that when Peters signs with Philly for around the same amount as we were offering then we made a good deal because he didnt want to be here. And if he signs a mega contract I wouldnt have wanted to pay it anyway. See Nate Clements. What has he really done now since he left?

From Buffalo's perspective, the deal was a lucrative one. The organization avoided overpaying for one of the NFL's most overrated players. The Bills can take Oher or Andre Smith at No. 11 overall. They'll be able to spend the No. 28 selection on a much-needed pass-rusher, such as Larry English or Michael Johnson. And now, they'll be free to spend their second-round choice on the best tight end or linebacker available.

That says it all for me right there. :thumbsup:

http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

The Jason Peters Trade and the 2009 NFL Draft - My Thoughts....

This guy is not capable of rational thought. What is he, some kind of a fantasy football nerd? What do they know about linemen anyway? "Walter Football" - sounds real authoritative.

First of all sack stats are total b.s. Do the lineman that allow just a rare few sacks over 16 games get credit for the times their butts are saved by a back chipping or by the QB ducking and throwing the ball before a sack? Of course they don't. Well then the same should hold true for the lineman that block their man perfectly long enough for the QB to get the called pass off, but hold onto the ball too long and end up getting sacked by their man! Or if there is a certain protection called with a stunt on the OL, and the tackles' man blows by him while he's doing his called job, but the back blows the protection and the QB gets sacked. No breaks there for the poor tackle, are there?? Sack stats are garbage and a waste of time to even try to keep track of.

Secondly, the Pro Bowl itself may be a joke, but the players and coaches and fans selecting the players are serious about the process.

Third, Walter the expert doesn't even have too many other 27 year old two time Pro Bowl left tackles to compare Peters to, since he is most likely at least the youngest LT in the NFL to have that distinction.

I'm a Bills fan and should be encouraged about this "article" However, I'm afraid I will end up watching Peters anchor the Eagles left side of the line just fine and continue to add to his Pro Bowls over the next 5 to 8 years, while the Bills may need that many more years just to find his replacement. Don't believe this jerk. The Eagles will be the real winners here.

BUMP BUMP BUMP

And this makes absolute sense when put that way. Also I do believe we should have either gotten a 3rd instead of the 4th, or at least the 21st pick.

All that being said, I think it will be clear that when Peters signs with Philly for around the same amount as we were offering then we made a good deal because he didnt want to be here. And if he signs a mega contract I wouldnt have wanted to pay it anyway. See Nate Clements. What has he really done now since he left?

It will be even clearer when Peters blows out his knee or groin muscle early on because he's been molecularly fused to his couch all Winter and Spring, chowing down barbecue and Twinkies.