Fred Jackson's agent speaks out

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother to lock up players like Jackson for reasonable multiyear contracts when the Bills don't have to when they will just hold out for more a couple years later (see Peters, Jason)?

If he and his agent are touting his character, I find it hard to believe they'd renege on a contract. I guess you're being sarcastic.

If he and his agent are touting his character, I find it hard to believe they'd renege on a contract. I guess you're being sarcastic.

I am being half sarcastic. I actually don't believe that it shows bad character necessarily to ask for a renegotiated deal. I might do the same if I felt I was underpaid.

And let's say they give Jackson a multiyear deal that pays him well for being a backup. Then he is dominant somehow while Lynch is out. Suddenly Jackson is still the starter after Lynch returns. Now he's the starter. Why shouldn't he have an even better contract?

I thought Freddie was smarter than this. The Bills couldnt have made any clearer that if you want a new contract come prove it. Does he deserve a raise sure but holding out isnt the way to go about it. I didnt hear him complaining about collecting a check on our practice squad without other teams being interested in him.

I am being half sarcastic. I actually don't believe that it shows bad character necessarily to ask for a renegotiated deal. I might do the same if I felt I was underpaid.

And let's say they give Jackson a multiyear deal that pays him well for being a backup. Then he is dominant somehow while Lynch is out. Suddenly Jackson is still the starter after Lynch returns. Now he's the starter. Why shouldn't he have an even better contract?

I like happy endings and I am conflict averse like most people so yeah, I'd like to see him treated with respect. I'm dying to know what they've offered him and what the gap is. I'd hate it if they were really lowballing him. We had all thought that $2.5 million per over 3 years and maybe $6 million guaranteed would be fair. But the Bills hold all the cards on this one.

I thought Freddie was smarter than this. The Bills couldnt have made any clearer that if you want a new contract come prove it. Does he deserve a raise sure but holding out isnt the way to go about it. I didnt hear him complaining about collecting a check on our practice squad without other teams being interested in him.

I remember that he missed the first few days of voluntary workouts but then reported (I think it was after Stroud's extension was announced). Anyone else remember? So actually I think he's working out with the team right now. At any rate, holdout is not really the correct term here...he doesn't have a signed contract.

Is Freddy holding out at all? I was under the impression that because the bills only gave him a tender offer that he hasn't signed, he's actually still not under contract. To be at workouts, you HAVE to be under contract.

Can someone clear this up?

They are going to lock Freddie up. His agent should be a little more patient. i think this is the wrong way to go about things. Agents like this guy are morons. First thing you should do in negotiations, is know who you are negotiating with. Bills pay guys they need and do a good job(please dont turn this into a you know who thread). The Bills would have locked him up to a 4 yr 10 mil a season deal. All this does is draw lines in the sand. Stupid!! Haveing said all that i would be surprised if before workouts start he doesn't have a deal. And everyone will be kissy kissy.

I'm confident a deal will get done by the time the season comes around.

me too

Thanks Tim.

Ouch. I hate when they start negotiating through the media. Not a good sign. It's officially gotten ugly.

I dont think it has gotten ugly at all. This smells more like we're in the long part of the offseason and both freddie and his agent have bills to pay, and havent agreed to anything yet and want to speed things up. I think the agent speaking out is just impatience or anxiousness. Not really smart, but it's nothing disruptive. On the flip side, I dont think the Bills DONT want to sign him to a nice and fair deal, I think they just have bigger fish to fry right now and have him locked down and will get to him "when they get to him". I dont necessarily think the FO are being bad guys in that stance. As a fan, Im happy they are busy working on the other needs. So we'll see. I bet by May 1st Freddie has a deal he likes and all is well.

Is Freddy holding out at all? I was under the impression that because the bills only gave him a tender offer that he hasn't signed, he's actually still not under contract. To be at workouts, you HAVE to be under contract.

I'm not sure if he is or isnt under contract however he did work out with the team after the signing of Stroud he showed at workouts so I guess it isn't clear if he's holding out or not however I do know staying away isn't the path to being paid by the Bills.

Frankly, I don't understand the connection that his agent was making from the comments of Brandon to his client. It's quite a stretch.

I also think we will see a four year 10 million dollar contract or thereabouts pretty soon, which would be decent for both sides.

I think the most important thing to realize about that article from Tim is that, apparently, we Bills fans don't like when agents don't talk to/negotiate through the media, and we don't like when agents do talk to/negotiate through the media.

He has been working out even though he's not under contract. If he's injured, there's an agreement from the team that will take care of his medical in a workman's comp-type way.

For players who are not under contract there is usually some sort of waiver signed guaranteeing him some set amount if unable to perform and injured at work. Some also buy extra insurance contracts. Jackson could injury himself at home (say slipping in shower) and be entitled to nothing.

Oh and NO player should automatically get a raise for being starter. Good agents like Flutie's agent did get contacts with incentives. The same player who is a starter like EJ in Arizona becomes a backup but does not get an automatic pay cut.

His agent is right. Even if the Bills started with an offer of 4 years and 10M that would be very reasonable offer and they could add incentives in there. He is a quality guy, works out with the team, is dedicated to the team. Lynch is out for three games....just pay the guy or at least get the offers flowing back and forth. The market is already pretty established for back-up RBs so numbers should not be too far off.