Fred Jackson's agent speaks out

His agent is right. Even if the Bills started with an offer of 4 years and 10M that would be very reasonable offer and they could add incentives in there. He is a quality guy, works out with the team, is dedicated to the team. Lynch is out for three games....just pay the guy or at least get the offers flowing back and forth. The market is already pretty established for back-up RBs so numbers should not be too far off.

If I was a RB who knew I was going to take the punishment of three weeks to start the season in the NFL I would want more money ASAP too.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's less about age than miles on your tires. At this point, Jackson is a better player than Rhodes, who has had some injuries and has bounced around. 30 is the age when you stop paying money to RBs, and Rhodes is 30. Jackson has a couple of good years left in him, and I can easily see him putting up 600-700 yards rushing and 30+ receptions the next couple of years. That's real productivity. Re: Rhodes, I suspect the reason he's in Buffalo is because no one else wants him. He returned to Indy as the prodigal son, but after the feast, he got dumped. That should tell you something.

Just a quick followup about Rhodes: Look at the lack of productivity last year, especially the ypc in the final four games while running for an elite offense:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5793

The one decent game came against a 0-16 team. The guy's goose is cooked.

It's less about age than miles on your tires. At this point, Jackson is a better player than Rhodes, who has had some injuries and has bounced around. 30 is the age when you stop paying money to RBs, and Rhodes is 30. Jackson has a couple of good years left in him, and I can easily see him putting up 600-700 yards rushing and 30+ receptions the next couple of years. That's real productivity. Re: Rhodes, I suspect the reason he's in Buffalo is because no one else wants him. He returned to Indy as the prodigal son, but after the feast, he got dumped. That should tell you something.

Without knowing what Rhodes is looking for, I can't tell much. Given the money far-less productive backups RB's have been getting, and in-turn the season he just had, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Rhodes is looking for $3M+/year. Taylor is older than him, did a lot less last year, and got $2.5M/year.

And what's so horrible about having Jackson prove himself again with another good season? Has he conclusively proven that he's a great and indispensable backup RB? What about other EFA's who have had productive seasons? Are they getting big money deals as well?

Without knowing what Rhodes is looking for, I can't tell much. Given the money far-less productive backups RB's have been getting, and in-turn the season he just had, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Rhodes is looking for $3M+/year. Taylor is older than him, did a lot less last year, and got $2.5M/year.

And what's so horrible about having Jackson prove himself again with another good season? Has he conclusively proven that he's a great and indispensable backup RB? What about other EFA's who have had productive seasons? Are they getting big money deals as well?

See my post above. If stats are truly indicative, the guy can't play at an NFL level any more. You're looking at A-Train Mach II.

Plus remember that the Bills did bring guys who can still play in: Kevin Jones and Fred Taylor. They said no. They're now down to the fourth tier. There's no one decent left.

If that's the case, you might be right. There is no evidence that it is the case. It is possible Peters contract (as one example) may have an impact on Fred's, but it simply may be how the deal is structured.

My point remains, complaining about how Fred is getting screwed, when the sides are negotiating...and the fact that it is only April...is a little silly. Of course, I expect knee-jerk stupidity from some fans. Can't you at least wait until he gets screwed to complain?

It is just a matter of perspective.

Some folks feel that by not signing Jackson early, for what would most likely be a contract of minimal impact on the bottom line, and by bringing in the parade of cast off running backs, that the organization has effectively "screwed" him already :thumbsup:

Jackson may well get his money as you say, but the feeling of being a last option and a low priority signing may not make a very happy or committed Jackson on the field.

Once again, this is just speculation :wallbash:

Just a quick followup about Rhodes: Look at the lack of productivity last year, especially the ypc in the final four games while running for an elite offense:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5793

The one decent game came against a 0-16 team. The guy's goose is cooked.

"Elite offense?" The Colts ranked 15th in YPG and 13th in PPG. And Rhodes accounted for 20% of the Colts' TD's.

And he got a smattering of carries those final 4 games. Most RB's need more than 10-15 carries to hit their stride.

See my post above. If stats are truly indicative, the guy can't play at an NFL level any more. You're looking at A-Train Mach II.

Plus remember that the Bills did bring guys who can still play in: Kevin Jones and Fred Taylor. They said no. They're now down to the fourth tier. There's no one decent left.

Stats aren't truly indicative of anything, much less whether a guy is "toast" or not. While it's possible he wore-down at the end of the season, the Bills aren't bringing-him-in to be anything more than than the #2 back for 1-3 games, and the #3 back for the rest of the games.

And have you seen Kevin Jones' last 4 seasons, much less his last 4 games last year? He's a non-factor at this point in his career.

"Elite offense?" The Colts ranked 15th in YPG and 13th in PPG. And Rhodes accounted for 20% of the Colts' TD's.

And he got a smattering of carries those final 4 games. Most RB's need more than 10-15 carries to hit their stride.

C'mon VOR, the only reason people pay attention to TD stats for RBs is because of fantasy football. If you're near the goal line and you hand it off, a RB is gonna score a lot of the time - it's the law of averages. It's an overrated stat if there ever was one (sorta like tackles on defense). The larger point is that since 2005, he has averaged 3.5 ypc. He's also been ceremoniously dumped 2 years in a row after no real pursuit by his original team three years ago (despite playing well in the Super Bowl). And this is a guy who averaged 4.7, 4.2, and 4.8 ypc his first three years.

Stats aren't truly indicative of anything, much less whether a guy is "toast" or not. While it's possible he wore-down at the end of the season, the Bills aren't bringing-him-in to be anything more than than the #2 back for 1-3 games, and the #3 back for the rest of the games.

And have you seen Kevin Jones' last 4 seasons, much less his last 4 games last year? He's a non-factor at this point in his career.

I'm no fan of Kevin Jones, but he at least has potential (sort of like Shawn Bryson back in the day). He's fast, has good size, excels when he gets outside, and is young enough. Whether he fulfills his promise is anyone's guess, but that's the nature of 'potential." Rhodes is past the point of having potential.

C'mon VOR, the only reason people pay attention to TD stats for RBs is because of fantasy football. If you're near the goal line and you hand it off, a RB is gonna score a lot of the time - it's the law of averages. It's an overrated stat if there ever was one (sorta like tackles on defense). The larger point is that since 2005, he has averaged 3.5 ypc. He's also been ceremoniously dumped 2 years in a row after no real pursuit by his original team three years ago (despite playing well in the Super Bowl). And this is a guy who averaged 4.7, 4.2, and 4.8 ypc his first three years.

Production is production. How many players scored 9 TD's last year? By your estimation, there should have been tons. There were 25 out of 394 players. And Rhodes started just 4 games and got a handful of carries the other ones.

Besides, the Bills have had trouble scoring near the goalline. I'd take him just for that. The receiving and pass-blocking skills are an added bonus.

I'm no fan of Kevin Jones, but he at least has potential (sort of like Shawn Bryson back in the day). He's fast, has good size, excels when he gets outside, and is young enough. Whether he fulfills his promise is anyone's guess, but that's the nature of 'potential." Rhodes is past the point of having potential.

The guy can't stay healthy. And he's been in the league long enough that potential no longer applies to him.

Typical short-sighted, backwards way to run an organization

leave your better players for last IF there is any money left

Bills do the most stupid things just because they can

they should have done the smart and right thing and signed Jackson in January

The organization is treating Jackson like crap. They should do the right thing and lock him up for 3-4 years at a salary that is commensurate with what good backup runningbacks make. I do not understand the flirting they are doing with all these also-rans that they have brought in. All Fred has done is play hard for this team.

What kind of message does it send to prospective draftees and free agents that see even when Buffalo has a player that performs at a very high level and they STILL don't get paid. I could understand if if was a questionable player...but C'mon, Jackson played as well as Marshawn Lynch and should be compensated for his play. Players only have so many years and then their bodies breakdown and career over. Particularly a running back, man they take a pounding week after week. If the Bills don't pay up I'd let the 3rd string RB start the season,not sign anything and be a free agent next year.

What a bunch of hysterical women we have on this board! Get a freakin' grip, will ya? Do you people read your own posts? I'd love to see how you treat your kids. Do you buy them a new Xbox everytime they start crying?

Jackson just asked for a new deal. Meanwhile he's an exclusive rights player, meaning he's a low priority for right now. (In case you forgot we have another fat-ass crybaby we're dealing with.) We also have a draft that may have a higher-than-usual number of picks if trades are made. Can Jackson's agent chill out until May or June, for god's sake?

In the meantime can you ladies unwad your panties and relax?

PTR

What a bunch of hysterical women we have on this board! Get a freakin' grip, will ya? Do you people read your own posts? I'd love to see how you treat your kids. Do you buy them a new Xbox everytime they start crying?

Jackson just asked for a new deal. Meanwhile he's an exclusive rights player, meaning he's a low priority for right now. (In case you forgot we have another fat-ass crybaby we're dealing with.) We also have a draft that may have a higher-than-usual number of picks if trades are made. Can Jackson's agent chill out until May or June, for god's sake?

PTR

Hardly hysterics. Just another post to get some folks to say "yeah that sucks", and other folks to say "no it doesn't", and some others to say "you are all hysterical for talking about it".

Apparently this thread is working out just the way it should.

Does Jackson or his agent read the paper (or The Stadium Wall for that matter?) The Bills are in limbo with Peters, they approaching the draft and, depending if any trades are made, may have more rookies to sign. So the Bills may not have a clear idea how much cash they will have for Jackson right now.

PTR

I'm not picking sides here, but there have been a couple of comments on here about waiting his turn.

But just as a point of order: If the Bills are so busy, then where did they find the time to renegotiate Marcus Stroud's contract? If people think Jackson needs to stand in line, how did Stroud jump to the front with two years left on his deal and three months until training camp?

I don't think the Bills are too busy to get Jackson's deal done. Fact is, they don't have to do anything because he's an exclusive-rights player.

I'm not picking sides here, but if the Bills are so busy, then where did they find the time to renegotiate Marcus Stroud's contract? If people think Jackson needs to stand in line, how did Stroud jump to the front with two years left on his deal and three months until training camp?

I don't think the Bills are too busy to get Jackson's deal done. Fact is, they don't have to do anything because he's exclusive rights. Then again, they didn't have to do anything with Stroud either.

The rhetoric suggests the Bills have not given a "do not worry" signal to Jackson. This could occur through a legitimate offer that both sides could build upon or a back room promise to do what is right once other issues are resolved.

Does Jackson or his agent read the paper (or The Stadium Wall for that matter?) The Bills are in limbo with Peters, they approaching the draft and, depending if any trades are made, may have more rookies to sign. So the Bills may not have a clear idea how much cash they will have for Jackson right now.

PTR

Great points

I think Jackson will get his money big time. Agent was a fool for saying something damn near a week before the draft, bad timing

The bills have a lot on their plate right now and im sure when training camp comes around he will be taken care of because by then he will become the focus

I'm not picking sides here, but there have been a couple of comments on here about waiting his turn.

But just as a point of order: If the Bills are so busy, then where did they find the time to renegotiate Marcus Stroud's contract? If people think Jackson needs to stand in line, how did Stroud jump to the front with two years left on his deal and three months until training camp?

I don't think the Bills are too busy to get Jackson's deal done. Fact is, they don't have to do anything because he's an exclusive-rights player.

The rhetoric suggests the Bills have not given a "do not worry" signal to Jackson. This could occur through a legitimate offer that both sides could build upon or a back room promise to do what is right once other issues are resolved.

These two posts speak most clearly to the point. As I asked before, why the public commentary and unhappy rhetoric of Freddy's agent?

Because most likely, the Bills have given the Jackson camp no assurances. Most likely they've indicated a lowball offer with no hope of meeting Jackson anywhere near where he wants to be paid. If Jackson had been given assurances his agent would have no reason to publicly express their displeasure with the Bills.

PTR

Just can't help expressing my feelings over a player that is a clear cut playmaker and performer having to take a back seat because of the draft and Jason Peters among other things. Fans have a right to express their disdain when a player they like gets treated poorly. As Tim Graham mentioned, he took a back seat to Marcus Stroud who was already under contract.

This crud hits the entire media and other players read about this stuff,just makes for bad press and the Bills are already swimming in enough bad press over other players. The Bills should have stepped up earlier on Jackson,they have had time, JMO

Wilson could swallow coal and a week later a diamond would pop out,the guy has a history of fish hooks in his pockets, I'm not really surprised when I read about players like Peters,because of past players like Pat Williams,Antoine Winfield, Ruben Brown ect, good young players that deserved better pay and had to leave Buffalo to get it. Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed all should have retired in Buffalo Bills uniforms but didn't because they couldn't get a deal done. Lord, poor Thurman went on to wear a phins uniform.

Shoot, Jim Kelly would have become a Raider if Bill Polian hadn't pushed Wilson so hard to cough up the money to sign the kid. I'll bet Bill Polian doesn't need to work that hard anymore :thumbsup: