Fred Jackson's agent speaks out

Does Jackson or his agent read the paper (or The Stadium Wall for that matter?) The Bills are in limbo with Peters, they approaching the draft and, depending if any trades are made, may have more rookies to sign. So the Bills may not have a clear idea how much cash they will have for Jackson right now.

PTR

Typical short-sighted, backwards way to run an organization

leave your better players for last IF there is any money left

Bills do the most stupid things just because they can

they should have done the smart and right thing and signed Jackson in January

Jackson's agent is right to call out the hypocrits at OBD who preach character but give big bucks to thugs and criminals -

while letting good, clean players twist in the wind.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical short-sighted, backwards way to run an organization

leave your better players for last IF there is any money left

Bills do the most stupid things just because they can

they should have done the smart and right thing and signed Jackson in January

Why, because Jackson is a threat to holdout into the season? :thumbsup:

Jackson's agent is right to call out the hypocrits at OBD who preach character but give big bucks to thugs and criminals -

while letting good, clean players twist in the wind.

Why stop with Jackson? Why give a big raise to a starter like Ellison, who is also a high-character guy?

I'd rather give Dominic Rhodes, even though he's 30 and has a DUI under his belt, a 4-year $10M deal, than Fred Jackson. He's proven himself, as have Taylor, Buckhalter, and most of the rest of the backup RB's to whom Fred is comparing himself. He's been in the league 2 years and just started producing last year, and he's expecting $2.5M a year? Are you serious?

The Bills literally own him this year, and next year they can tag him for $1.5M and basically take him off the market since it would cost a 2nd rounder to get him, and no one will give that for him. And the Bills have bigger fish to fry.

EXACTLY RIGHT. Great Post. :thumbsup:

I'd rather give Dominic Rhodes, even though he's 30 and has a DUI under his belt, a 4-year $10M deal, than Fred Jackson. He's proven himself, as have Taylor, Buckhalter, and most of the rest of the backup RB's to whom Fred is comparing himself. He's been in the league 2 years and just started producing last year, and he's expecting $2.5M a year? Are you serious?

The Bills literally own him this year, and next year they can tag him for $1.5M and basically take him off the market since it would cost a 2nd rounder to get him, and no one will give that for him. And the Bills have bigger fish to fry.

Firstly VOR I think you run the risk of alienating the players who are here when you pay an outsider an amount of money that a current member of the team is arguably entitled to. And as far as the established/proven argument, I would guess that most people inside and outside the organization feel that Jackson is at least equivalent in talent and future productivity to Rhodes.

Finally regarding your last paragraph, that is the hard line, "we've got the hammer" approach that the team certainly has the prerogative of using. But that approach doesn't have to be used. It tends to cause hard feelings and battle lines to be drawn. You are treating the player as if they are an indentured servant.

I would hope the two sides can reach accord without the combative rhetoric Freddy's agent used, or the hard line approach you advocate the Bills using.

Yes the Bills have bigger fish to fry. You would hope that the Bills communicated to Jackson's camp that they will engage in serious talks once the Peters situation is resolved. I don't understand why the rhetoric has been escalated and it's a bit disturbing to me.

Firstly VOR I think you run the risk of alienating the players who are here when you pay an outsider an amount of money that a current member of the team is arguably entitled to. And as far as the established/proven argument, I would guess that most people inside and outside the organization feel that Jackson is at least equivalent in talent and future productivity to Rhodes.

Finally regarding your last paragraph, that is the hard line, "we've got the hammer" approach that the team certainly has the prerogative of using. But that approach doesn't have to be used. It tends to cause hard feelings and battle lines to be drawn. You are treating the player as if they are an indentured servant.

I would hope the two sides can reach accord without the combative rhetoric Freddy's agent used, or the hard line approach you advocate the Bills using.

Yes the Bills have bigger fish to fry. You would hope that the Bills communicated to Jackson's camp that they will engage in serious talks once the Peters situation is resolved. I don't understand why the rhetoric has been escalated and it's a bit disturbing to me.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding who is more proven, Jackson or Rhodes, at least in the short-term, because neither guy is a spring chicken. Rhodes virtually equalled or bested Jackson in every category except YPC, and has done it for a lot longer. Now if Jackson were younger, say 25, I'd be more inclined to go along with what you said since Jackson could be viewed as a longer-term prospect.

And by going public, it appears that Jackson's attorney doesn't think the Bills will offer his client anything more. Maybe he's using the Lynch suspension as leverage to get more than Jackson is truly worth? I don't know, since I don't know what they're looking for, or what the Bills have offered, if anything.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding who is more proven, Jackson or Rhodes, at least in the short-term, because neither guy is a spring chicken. Rhodes virtually equalled or bested Jackson in every category except YPC, and has done it for a lot longer. Now if Jackson were younger, say 25, I'd be more inclined to go along with what you said since Jackson could be viewed as a longer-term prospect.

And by going public, it appears that Jackson's attorney doesn't think the Bills will offer his client anything more. Maybe he's using the Lynch suspension as leverage to get more than Jackson is truly worth? I don't know, since I don't know what they're looking for, or what the Bills have offered, if anything.

Jackson has far less wear and tear on his body than Rhodes does. Also, Jackson is proven in the Bills offense, of course Rhodes hasn't had that opportunity.

I'd much prefer Fred over Rhodes for the next few years, as he isn't showing any signs of decline, and actually seems to still be getting better.

What can I say?

I agree.

The organization is treating Jackson like crap. They should do the right thing and lock him up for 3-4 years at a salary that is commensurate with what good backup runningbacks make.

I do not understand the flirting they are doing with all these also-rans that they have brought in.

All Fred has done is play hard for this team.

I was just about to post something similar. I think it was actually a bit of a cheap-shot (and I know cheap-shots). Totally uncalled for.

The wall is very fickle.

I think most posters (yes, I will pretend for a moment that I represent the masses) could care less how the deal gets done, but feel that Jackson should have already been signed to a reasonable contract. Reasonable being an average amount made by solid backup RBs across the league.

I am also "assuming" that a reasonable contract has not been offered in private. Maybe someone with more knowlege of the inner-disfunctional workings at OBD can confirm.

I don't think it is surprizing or unusual that his agent solicited a response from the court of public opinion (the tenuous link he made regarding character not withstanding). It is even more understandable if he is not getting anywhere at OBD, and it is not like OBD has been secretly bringing in all those retread runningbacks for interviews.

Yes, the Bills brass are operating under the allowed rules, but it still feels like they are giving Jackson the finger. :thumbsup:

I think most posters (yes, I will pretend for a moment that I represent the masses) could care less how the deal gets done, but feel that Jackson should have already been signed to a reasonable contract. Reasonable being an average amount made by solid backup RBs across the league.

I am also "assuming" that a reasonable contract has not been offered in private. Maybe someone with more knowlege of the inner-disfunctional workings at OBD can confirm.

I don't think it is surprizing or unusual that his agent solicited a response from the court of public opinion (the tenuous link he made regarding character not withstanding). It is even more understandable if he is not getting anywhere at OBD, and it is not like OBD has been secretly bringing in all those retread runningbacks for interviews.

Yes, the Bills brass are operating under the allowed rules, but it still feels like they are giving Jackson the finger. :thumbsup:

My feeling on this?

It's fuc#ing APRIL.

Chill

What kind of message does it send to prospective draftees and free agents that see even when Buffalo has a player that performs at a very high level and they STILL don't get paid.

I could understand if if was a questionable player...but C'mon, Jackson played as well as Marshawn Lynch and should be compensated for his play. Players only have so many years and then their bodies breakdown and career over. Particularly a running back, man they take a pounding week after week.

If the Bills don't pay up I'd let the 3rd string RB start the season,not sign anything and be a free agent next year.

What kind of message does it send to prospective draftees and free agents that see even when Buffalo has a player that performs at a very high level and they STILL don't get paid.

It's April, and they are still negotiating. If they don't pay him before the start of the season, your post has merit.

If the Bills don't pay up I'd let the 3rd string RB start the season,not sign anything and be a free agent next year.

And do what, sit out the season? Miss the first 10 games, show-up for the last 6, and then be an RFA next year and tendered at the lowest level?

It's less about age than miles on your tires. At this point, Jackson is a better player than Rhodes, who has had some injuries and has bounced around. 30 is the age when you stop paying money to RBs, and Rhodes is 30. Jackson has a couple of good years left in him, and I can easily see him putting up 600-700 yards rushing and 30+ receptions the next couple of years. That's real productivity. Re: Rhodes, I suspect the reason he's in Buffalo is because no one else wants him. He returned to Indy as the prodigal son, but after the feast, he got dumped. That should tell you something.

It's April, and they are still negotiating. If they don't pay him before the start of the season, your post has merit.

If OBD is just waiting to see what kind of scraps they have left to use for Jackson, then that sends a message to players. Some like Peters apparently got that message loud and clear and decided that when dealing with the front office it is better to insure that you get yours ($$$) when you can. Apparently, you don't wait to see if they will do the right thing by you and reward honest effort and contribution.

Feeling that the organization does not treat it's solid players like they are a valued commodity and posting about such treatment has about as much merit as any other posts we dream up IMO.

If OBD is just waiting to see what kind of scraps they have left to use for Jackson...

If that's the case, you might be right. There is no evidence that it is the case. It is possible Peters contract (as one example) may have an impact on Fred's, but it simply may be how the deal is structured.

My point remains, complaining about how Fred is getting screwed, when the sides are negotiating...and the fact that it is only April...is a little silly. Of course, I expect knee-jerk stupidity from some fans. Can't you at least wait until he gets screwed to complain?

My feeling on this?

It's fuc#ing APRIL.

Chill

Chill?

Do I really sound like I am fretting over this?

I just happen to feel like Jackson is a good player (not great), but a solid backup that the organization should make happy. Lock him up for the pittance he would probably sign for and move on.

I am not so pollyanna in my view to get overly worked up over the ugly business side of football operations (although I do not mind stirring the pot) :thumbsup: