Jerry Sullivan to be on Sirius Opening Drive

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Sullivan does a great job !......he is paid to write an OPINION......i think he can be brutally honest at times, which means bashing our beloved teams when warranted. If you prefer the company line cheerleader approach try Chris Brown on the Bills website. I dont always agree with Jerry, but i do agree with him alot. Sure he says some outrageous things, but thats part of his schtick as a writer, you need to stand out a little to get noticed.

Jerry Sullivan does a great job !......he is paid to write an OPINION......i think he can be brutally honest at times, which means bashing our beloved teams when warranted. If you prefer the company line cheerleader approach try Chris Brown on the Bills website. I dont always agree with Jerry, but i do agree with him alot. Sure he says some outrageous things, but thats part of his schtick as a writer, you need to stand out a little to get noticed.

It would be different if his opinion was a good one. More often than not, it is just a rant.

The difference is, a guy like Tim Graham can cover the whole AFC East better than Sullivan does the Bills. At this point in his career, he waits to take a smarmy shot and retreat. Hate on Chris Brown as much as you want, but the guy is doing his job. Sullivan's job is to cover the Bills, not declare himself the voice of the fan. He's not my voice, I can tell you that!

Man, I really don't understand the Sullivan hate on this board. The guy is a very talented writer with a laundry list of credentials I would venture no poster on this board has. Of course, a message board is a voice for fans that DON'T have a degree in journalism to voice one's opinion, but still, there is a reason why people go to college to learn how to formally construct a valid and lucid opinion in prose. Not just on sports, but simply in general.

Sullivan is harsh, but it doesn't make him any less correct. Levy should be eating his words. He framed his whole campaign after Donahoe on "high character" and the first guy he drafts is tazed outside a nightclub at 3 am last weekend. Of course, we don't know all the facts, but a few Marv picks have now got in scuffles with the law (Whitner, Lynch, Hardy, Simpson, et al) some more than once in the span of 9 months, as Jerry pointed out. Everyone is so quick to criticize Sully, but there's no disputing his points here. The only thing I can find questionable in his argument is Stroud, being as he had his substance issues before he was acquired as a Bill, but still, it is on his record.

Man, I really don't understand the Sullivan hate on this board. The guy is a very talented writer with a laundry list of credentials I would venture no poster on this board has. Of course, a message board is a voice for fans that DON'T have a degree in journalism to voice one's opinion, but still, there is a reason why people go to college to learn how to formally construct a valid and lucid opinion in prose. Not just on sports, but simply in general.

Sullivan is harsh, but it doesn't make him any less correct. Levy should be eating his words. He framed his whole campaign after Donahoe on "high character" and the first guy he drafts is tazed outside a nightclub at 3 am last weekend. Of course, we don't know all the facts, but a few Marv picks have now got in scuffles with the law (Whitner, Lynch, Hardy, Simpson, et al) some more than once in the span of 9 months, as Jerry pointed out. Everyone is so quick to criticize Sully, but there's no disputing his points here. The only thing I can find questionable in his argument is Stroud, being as he had his substance issues before he was acquired as a Bill, but still, it is on his record.

As of this post he is also 20 minutes late for his Sirius NFL segment...guess he's too busy being "talented" :thumbsup:

I must admit I am not a J. Sullivan fan. I don't believe he ever provides any insight, he more so provides observations after they occur and yes they are negative most of the time. The problem I have is that Sirius radio is my outlet for NFL Football. It's bad enough I have to hear Sullivan's opinion via The Buffalo News and WGR but now Sirius as well. There are plently of other reporters that Sirius can get on to discuss the Bills besides Sullivan (J.Murphy, L.Felser, V.Carucci, to name a few). He should stick to writing about and commenting about his crappy golf skills of which I could care less about.

The problem with Sullivan is that you can get to him rather easily. he is quite soft, actually.

It comes across well on the radio. When he gets "caught" saying something stupid or wrong, and he knows it, he starts ranting, and rather whiny-like. At this point, he has to defend himself by ranting on about how much everything and everyone he covers sucks.

When someone gets over on him, it's radio gold to hear how hard he melts down.

I must admit I am not a J. Sullivan fan. I don't believe he ever provides any insight, he more so provides observations after they occur and yes they are negative most of the time. The problem I have is that Sirius radio is my outlet for NFL Football. It's bad enough I have to hear Sullivan's opinion via The Buffalo News and WGR but now Sirius as well. There are plently of other reporters that Sirius can get on to discuss the Bills besides Sullivan (J.Murphy, L.Felser, V.Carucci, to name a few). He should stick to writing about and commenting about his crappy golf skills of which I could care less about.

and Ol' Sully has officially been bumped from his segment. I agree with most of you including Mullet: If you think this hack has any real chops you're disabled. Whatever amount of integrity and/or creativity Sully may have once possessed went bye-bye a long time ago. He is the Sean Hannity of Bills reporting.

I pretty much agree...

I mean...Sully can be a downer...No question about it...But I respect his opinion...Because even though the delivery can be a bit harsh, when it's all said and done his points are usually valid...And there is a degree of thought that goes into them...

This AM on WGR Sully's main point seemed to be that if in fact these Guys were not out and about after 2 AM, these problems would likely subside...Now...I'm not sure how realistic that may be...But nonetheless it's probably correct...He even said He felt for these Athletes that they should have to give up some freedoms...So I don't feel like Sully was all that hard on Whitner and the rest...It's really just common sense he's asking for...

These guys should be smart enough to know how to stay out of trouble...If I could do it in My youth ANYONE can do it... :thumbsup:

My problem with Sullivan is that he writes so many negative columns about the Bills. It's not a columnists job to slam the team. He needs to emphasize the positives and write from a position of optimism, not rant at every opportunity.

hahaha....yeah because there is so much "positive" going on this winter at OBD! :thumbsup::nana:

by the way, he was positive about the owens signing, which was the only good thing that happened during the whole off-season.

our team is a disaster and laughingstock, our owner is trying to sell the season off to toronto one game at a time, and you guys cry about a columnist. unbelievable.

Guy was out at a party at 3AM, in the offseason. How is that a problem?

Obviously what transpired later shouldn't have, but I can't fault a guy for going to a buddy's birthday party on his own time in the offseason. Obviously, Jerry Sullivan hasn't been chasing broads around in the last 30 years (and if he has he hasn't caught any), but to say Whitner shouldn't be out that late is just stupid.

Guy was out at a party at 3AM, in the offseason. How is that a problem?

Obviously what transpired later shouldn't have, but I can't fault a guy for going to a buddy's birthday party on his own time in the offseason. Obviously, Jerry Sullivan hasn't been chasing broads around in the last 30 years (and if he has he hasn't caught any), but to say Whitner shouldn't be out that late is just stupid.

NO IT ISN'T! there's this thing you have to have when you're young and rich and in the public eye...it's called "responsibility!" it's not like it isn't preached to them 1000 times over from the day they're drafted. there really is no excuse for this crap, and i don't care how much whitner cries about being a victim.

there are a LOT of employers who would not look to kindly at employees running around raising hell in the middle of the night... running over people, toting guns, weed and causing various public disturbances. my ass would have been fired for any one of the incidents these numbskulls have gotten involved in and, i assume, if you have any kind of real career, so would yours. why do these guys get a pass because they are young rich jocks? "aw shucks they're just young guys in their 20s...givem a chance to get itout of their system..."

are you saying they're entitled not to have to grow up because they are young rich jocks? because if i was one of the MAJORITY of players who was smart enough to"sacrifice" my inalienable right to a 24-hour party in order stay out of the police blotter, i would probably punch whitner in the face when he got to camp.

how about maybe, just MAYBE, some of these guys could tuck their cocks back in their pants, grow up, and learn how to behave in public. a$$holes.

The difference is, a guy like Tim Graham can cover the whole AFC East better than Sullivan does the Bills. At this point in his career, he waits to take a smarmy shot and retreat. Hate on Chris Brown as much as you want, but the guy is doing his job. Sullivan's job is to cover the Bills, not declare himself the voice of the fan. He's not my voice, I can tell you that!

No, that's not his job with the News. The beat writers are Gaughan and Wilson. As somebody already posted, Sully's job is to write commentary, which by inference means to give his opinion.

GO BILLS!!!

Jerry Sullivan is a one trick pony. Point out the obvious and be as negative as possible, which he excells at. It is like shooting fish in a barrell in the Buffalo sports market.

Whenever a Buffalo sports franchise does well, ie the Sabres a few years ago, he is absolutely lost.