Anyone have a "granite" sink?

Fezmid

My wife and I are going to be installing quartz countertops in our kitchen. We went to a showroom and saw these "granite" sinks -- I put that in quotes because the description says that they're 80% quarts and 20% resin, so I have no idea why they're called granite...

Anyway, they look pretty cool -- we liked the dark black one, it had a cool finish, looked nice compared to regular stainless steel. However, I'm not sure how well it holds up, if it stains, etc. I read some people complaining about cracking, but it sounds like most of that is during installation, and since I'm hiring that out with the countertop, it shouldn't matter to me.

Just wondering if anyone has 'em and whether they like 'em or not.

We're also looking to go with Silestone for our quarts countertop. Any opinions?

My wife and I are going to be installing quartz countertops in our kitchen. We went to a showroom and saw these "granite" sinks -- I put that in quotes because the description says that they're 80% quarts and 20% resin, so I have no idea why they're called granite...

Anyway, they look pretty cool -- we liked the dark black one, it had a cool finish, looked nice compared to regular stainless steel. However, I'm not sure how well it holds up, if it stains, etc. I read some people complaining about cracking, but it sounds like most of that is during installation, and since I'm hiring that out with the countertop, it shouldn't matter to me.

We're also looking to go with Silestone for our quarts countertop. Any opinions?

This post belongs in the consumer forum, doesn't it?

We have a corian sink with corian countertops. It's fine. Our sink is white and we use SoftScrub to clean it. Looks pretty much the same as the day we put it in. This is the second house we've had "solid surface" countertops/sinks. We've never had any problems with them.

In my experience there isn't any difference between any of the solid surfaces. It's all about what you like the look of/are willing to pay for. The sales pitches are pretty much just that.

You might think about the fact that unusual colors tend to go out of style. The black sink might be a negative if you decide to sell your house later.

Very true. We're (wife & I) lucky we went with avacado green; never goes out of style.

Fez--I'm sure you've done this but a quick search revealed no horror stories.

Very true. We're (wife & I) lucky we went with avacado green; never goes out of style.

Fez--I'm sure you've done this but a quick search revealed no horror stories.

I did see some horror stories:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17806

We obviously pour boiling water in the sink all the time -- draining pasta, for example -- but I'd have to think the post about the cracking is the exception rather than the rule.

As for resale -- I don't think black would be a turnoff for potential buyers, but maybe it would be? The counters are probably going to be neutral -- this one's leading the pack for us right now:

http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/colors.cfm?ColorID=382

And some pictures in this thread show the black sink with a neutral granite/quartz countertop:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitch...3002217741.html

I did see some horror stories:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17806

We obviously pour boiling water in the sink all the time -- draining pasta, for example -- but I'd have to think the post about the cracking is the exception rather than the rule.

As for resale -- I don't think black would be a turnoff for potential buyers, but maybe it would be? The counters are probably going to be neutral -- this one's leading the pack for us right now:

http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/colors.cfm?ColorID=382

And some pictures in this thread show the black sink with a neutral granite/quartz countertop:

They tell you not to pour boiling water in the sink. I've never done it but the installers were very sincere about it.

:lol:

...and a black sink will assuredly turn off some potential buyers, Fez.

People are screwy... A sink a determining factor in buying a house?... How freaking hard is it to change? Even if it is granite. :devil:<_< My God!\

Now if I was the potential home buyer I would play Fez and his black granite sink for all it was worth... Get him to knock a grand OFF. I mean really, it is a sink... How much can it cost? <_<

We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen right now, and the black sink neutral granite combo pics in that thread are very similar to what we went with. Installation is on Monday. This is turning into quite the expensive remodel, but the wife is very happy.

We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen right now, and the black sink neutral granite combo pics in that thread are very similar to what we went with. Installation is on Monday. This is turning into quite the expensive remodel, but the wife is very happy.

Yeah, I can relate! This started off as, "Let's just put up a tile backsplash."

Then, "Hey, let's add more cabinets in this other area."

Then, "Hey, a granite/quartz countertop would be nice, so let's do that!"

Then, "Oooh, fancy sink and faucet!"

<_<

How do you drain your pasta? Dip into the pot w/ a strainer?

I stopped eating pasta so I could have a wicked cool sink. Duh. <_<

I have a Pasta Pot.

I just leave the hot water on the stove until after dinner. It cools enough to pour down the disposal. The added benefit is you can quickly make more pasta because you didn't pour the water down the sink.

• 3 months later...

How'd your kitchen remodel go? Glad you went with the black granite sink?

We're getting ready to start putting the wheels in motion to get it done ourselves now... I was hoping she'd forget and I could keep the cash in the bank. No such luck. :flirt:

I was hoping she'd forget and I could keep the cash in the bank. No such luck. :P

The sad part is... What you said is what drives everything in our consumer world... WOMAN!

I gotta put hardwood floors in... She has been bitching for sometime know! Who wants hardwood floors? It is gonna make the place sound like a gymnasium... :flirt::P

The sad part is... What you said is what drives everything in our consumer world... WOMAN!

I gotta put hardwood floors in... She has been bitching for sometime know! Who wants hardwood floors? It is gonna make the place sound like a gymnasium... :flirt::P

How true..

And my wife wants to put hardwood floors in too... Actually, she wanted laminate. From what I've read, I think I'd prefer an engineered hardwood. She also wants a new dining room table. She's trying to end the recession... :P I've never been in a house with hardwood, so I'm not sure how it's going to sound/look/feel. Our neighbor just put it in a couple of years ago, so I should go visit their place and see.

How true..

And my wife wants to put hardwood floors in too... Actually, she wanted laminate. From what I've read, I think I'd prefer an engineered hardwood. She also wants a new dining room table. She's trying to end the recession... :( I've never been in a house with hardwood, so I'm not sure how it's going to sound/look/feel. Our neighbor just put it in a couple of years ago, so I should go visit their place and see.

:w00t::lol:

I just got off the phone with my wife... She and the children did the low key thing and went to the library for a reptile show. She was saying how great it was and that it didn't cost anything. Then get this... Goes out to K-Mart and drops 80 bucks on school supplies (which I really can't begrudge) for the children... :flirt::P:lol:

And with regards to the laminate... I am in the same ballpark as you... I would rather go with the real thing. Oh, did I mention we need a new couch too! :P

Whatever you do... Keep the wife inside and don't let the her visit the neighbors... You are surely are in for it then!