NFL Beat writers Mock draft

I'd be fine with that pick. He fills a position of need and isn't a reach. Here is how I look at it: I view (or, rather project) Cushing to be a major upgrade over Ellison. Is there another player at another position that would appear to be such an upgrade? I have worries about all of the DEs that I keep seeing us take in most mock drafts -- and I really think #11 is too early for Pettigrew. Of course, Chris Brown is the same guy that said that he just had a gut feeling that the Bills wouldn't take Lynch back in 2007. Of course, Brown only tells us what the Bills want him to tell us -- and there is no downside to reporting this information. If the Bills really do see Cushing as a possibility at 11, that is fine, because it is doubtful that he would go in the top 10. I suspect that they have SEVERAL players ranked fairly closely in that 11-20 range, which is why I would love to see them trade down.

I hope Chris Browns success rate sucks. I hope this guy is of their draft board altogether. He's a walking injury waiting to happen.

This is from the Pro Football Weekly 2009 Draft Preview:

Missed 3 games in high school with an ankle sprain.

In 2005 he had a shoulder separation and missed five games. He underwent surgery on his shoulder and missed some of spring practice 2006.

In 2007 He missed most of spring practice with a hamstring injury and had arthroscopic knee surgery after spring practice ended.

In the first game of 2007 he had a sprained left ankle in his first game of the season and missed two starts. He re-injured it again and missed five starts.

Had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle before the '08 season. Broke a bone in his hand last year and bruised his shoulder as well last year.

:blink:

I hope this is a smoke screen! If they spent the #11 pick on this kid I'd :wallbash: Ellis was a walking injury in college and he finished the season on IR.

DE Chris Ellis: Now, don't get me wrong. Expectations for rookie third-round picks should be tempered. But Buffalo had a dire need for an edge rusher last off-season, and Ellis was drafted to be that situational guy. Simply put, he wasn't. Ellis barely saw the field until he was forced into action by other injuries (Aaron Schobel and Copeland Bryan most often), and couldn't even beat out practice squad fodder like Bryan on the depth chart. Now he's on IR, and there's very few fans out there who believe he can make an impact as a second-year pro in 2009. His coaches might be right there with us.

Link

:)

Their medical staff sucks at evaluating college injuries.

I hope Chris Browns success rate sucks. I hope this guy is of their draft board altogether. He's a walking injury waiting to happen.

This is from the Pro Football Weekly 2009 Draft Preview:

Missed 3 games in high school with an ankle sprain.

In 2005 he had a shoulder separation and missed five games. He underwent surgery on his shoulder and missed some of spring practice 2006.

In 2007 He missed most of spring practice with a hamstring injury and had arthroscopic knee surgery after spring practice ended.

In the first game of 2007 he had a sprained left ankle in his first game of the season and missed two starts. He re-injured it again and missed five starts.

Had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle before the '08 season. Broke a bone in his hand last year and bruised his shoulder as well last year.

:blink:

I hope this is a smoke screen! If they spent the #11 pick on this kid I'd :wallbash: Ellis was a walking injury in college and he finished the season on IR.

DE Chris Ellis: Now, don't get me wrong. Expectations for rookie third-round picks should be tempered. But Buffalo had a dire need for an edge rusher last off-season, and Ellis was drafted to be that situational guy. Simply put, he wasn't. Ellis barely saw the field until he was forced into action by other injuries (Aaron Schobel and Copeland Bryan most often), and couldn't even beat out practice squad fodder like Bryan on the depth chart. Now he's on IR, and there's very few fans out there who believe he can make an impact as a second-year pro in 2009. His coaches might be right there with us.

Link

:)

Their medical staff sucks at evaluating college injuries.

There are a number of really good NFL players that were oft-injured prior to coming into the league. Adrian Peterson comes to mind immediately. A sprained left ankle, bruised shoulder and broken hand are not chronic injuries and shouldn't be things that continue to creep up on a player. I see your concern, but a player having multiple injuries in high school and college doesn't mean its going to be the same story in the NFL.

Why no love for Cushing? I think he is going to be the best linebacker of the class besides Curry. He'll be an impact player in this league for many years IMO.

1. always getting hurt

2. never really produced as a passrusher despite his strength being rushing the passer

3. i think clay matthews is going to be a better pro than cushing (gut feeling)

4. possibility of juicing?

1. always getting hurt

2. never really produced as a passrusher despite his strength being rushing the passer

3. i think clay matthews is going to be a better pro than cushing (gut feeling)

4. possibility of juicing?

1. Can't argue that he's been on the injury report quite often, but I don't think there is anything to suggest that any of his past injuries are going to chronically affect him in the NFL.

2. He wasn't asked to utilize his pass rushing skills all that much in college because of the ridiculous amount of talent that the USC defense had. Their front four handled that just fine and allowed their linebackers to roam free and attack the ball carrier/play the pass more frequently. That doesn't mean Cushing doesn't have the ability to really get after the passer when asked to, as he showed in games like the 2007 Rose Bowl when he had 2 1/2 sacks and was named MVP after the game. IMO, he will be able to get after the quarterback in the NFL.

3. I like Clay Matthews as well and think he will be a solid, but not spectacular, pro.

4. Matthews name has been brought up right alongside Cushing, so if you like him I don't really know how you can knock Cushing for it. All of the rumors have been denied by all parties involved, as well as Pete Carroll and the USC staff, so I don't consider that a negative on either player until something is confirmed.

If we go LB, then I'd rather have Matthews

I'd hate Matthews as our pick. He is the 3rd best LB on his college team. That doesn't excite me at all.

As for Cushing, i think he will be a good player but not at 11. LBs are the rbs of the defense. The better the line is in front of them, they better they will be. If you take a LB that high, he better be a special player. Cushing, though very solid, doesn't strike me as that type of player. I think Rey M might be but he may only be a 2 down player.

I'd hate Matthews as our pick. He is the 3rd best LB on his college team. That doesn't excite me at all.

USC had probably one of the best LB core in 2008, ever. All of them WILL be a first round pick. Many believe Matthews is the best out of the three. I would want Matthews over Cushing any day of the week.

As for Cushing, i think he will be a good player but not at 11. LBs are the rbs of the defense. The better the line is in front of them, they better they will be. If you take a LB that high, he better be a special player. Cushing, though very solid, doesn't strike me as that type of player. I think Rey M might be but he may only be a 2 down player.

I don't think so Biscuit, not in my view anyway. Matthews didn't get all the publicity that Cushing or Maluaga received, but he has tremendous bloodlines, he is a tireless worker and he is the most athletic out of the three. Many analysts see him as the best NFL potential pass rushing LB in the draft outside of Curry, and that is exacty what we would need if we went LB.

This is a direct quote by Mike Mayock yesterday on NFL Network...And it kinda floored Me mainly because this is the Kid I've wanted The Bills to Draft ever since I watched the Sr. Bowl Practices...Anyway...Here it is...

"In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft."

Now, Mayock said He knew He was going out on a limb with this one...But He has his reasons...And I think they are all VERY sound...Also Charles Davis, a Tennessee Grad himself, chimed in on why Ayers best Football is ahead of him...

Anyway...I want Ayers... :wub: