Stick a fork in the Sabres

The Rangers beat Montreal tonight 3-1. I believe that effectively eliminates the Sabres from the playoff race, not that they were ever really in it. Hard to believe 3 years ago they won the President's Trophy. Way to go, Larry Quinn.

PTR

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rangers beat Montreal tonight 3-1. I believe that effectively eliminates the Sabres from the playoff race, not that they were ever really in it. Hard to believe 3 years ago they won the President's Trophy. Way to go, Larry Quinn.

PTR

No, they aren't eliminated yet. If.....

Sabres finish 3-0 (Leafs, Canes, Bruins)

Rangers finish 0-2 (Flyers, Flyers)

Panthers finish 1-1 (Thrasher, Capitals)

So yes, it is highly unlikely...but crazier things have happened.

The problem is pretty much everyone. Tommy wont fork up the dough. Larry tells Darcy that Tommy wont fork up the dough. Darcy tells Lindy that we dont have the dough to keep Briere and/or Drury. Or Soupy, either. Ruff tells the team to try harder.

We miss playoffs two years in a row. :rolleyes:

The situation is pretty dire, but as you suggest, not completely hopeless, believe it or not. If I have done my math correctly:

After tonight, the Sabres (85 pts- 38 wins) have 3 games left, while the Rangers (91pts- 41 wins) and Panthers (89pts- 39 wins) have 2 games left.

What needs to happen for the Sabres to get the final playoff spot:

1- Sabres must win their final three (Toronto, Carolina, Boston)- Sabres finish with 91 pts, 41 wins

2- Rangers must lose their final two games in regualtion (Philadelphia x2)- Rangers finish with 91 pts, 41 wins

3- Panthers- must lose one of their final two games in regulation (Atalnta, Washington)- Panthers finsih with 91 pts- 40 wins

IIRC, the first tie breaker in determining who goes, is total number of wins. This would eliminate the Panthers. The second tie breaker is head to head...the Sabres were 2-1-1 against the Rangers... I know it sounds far fetched, but didn't the Hurricanes pull something like that off, a few years ago?

The problem is pretty much everyone. Tommy wont fork up the dough. Larry tells Darcy that Tommy wont fork up the dough. Darcy tells Lindy that we dont have the dough to keep Briere and/or Drury. Or Soupy, either. Ruff tells the team to try harder.

We miss playoffs two years in a row. :rolleyes:

The problem is not that we didn't lock up Briere/Drury/Campbell - none of them are living up to half their contract right now - the issue is that Pominville and Hecht are making a combined 9 mil. Darcy/Lindy/Quinn and whoever else seriously overrated how good most of our guys are. Only Vanek, Connolly, and Roy should be top 6 forwards on a good team, with an honorable mention to Staff and Poms when playing well.

The problem is not that we didn't lock up Briere/Drury/Campbell - none of them are living up to half their contract right now - the issue is that Pominville and Hecht are making a combined 9 mil. Darcy/Lindy/Quinn and whoever else seriously overrated how good most of our guys are. Only Vanek, Connolly, and Roy should be top 6 forwards on a good team, with an honorable mention to Staff and Poms when playing well.

I disagree. I think it's solely because we no longer have Drury, Briere & Campbell. Regardless of their current production, on the Sabres they were world beaters and they're missed here terribly.

deep2evans Posted Today, 12:34 AM

I'd also like to add that our defense is !@#$ing terrible. Please GOD let Tyler Myers be the #1 d-man we've been lacking since 1970...

Tim Horton?? I understand he's not available. His current team has a no-trade clause..

I think the only thing that makes that unlikely is the Sabres. I may be wrong but the Rangers always have trouble with the Flyers, Panthers will lose to the Caps. They want that 2nd spot bad. In usual Buffalo fashion they have to play with heart, desperation and win out.

All I know is when those players were here, we were a cup contender. Sometimes certain combinations of players just click. Break them up and the magic is gone. We had the right combination but Larry Quinn let them walk out the door. Blame Ruff and Regier all you want, but until Larry Quinn is out of the picture, this team is doomed.

Oh and let's not forget letting go head of scouting Don Luce so they can scout via You Tube! How's Don doing in Philly these days?

PTR

We had the right combination but Larry Quinn let them walk out the door. Blame Ruff and Regier all you want, but until Larry Quinn is out of the picture, this team is doomed.

Oh and let's not forget letting go head of scouting Don Luce so they can scout via You Tube! How's Don doing in Philly these days?

PTR

I agree 100%. i didnt see your post when i was writing mine but i agree. i dont blame darcy/lindy, i blame Larry Quinn for managing this team into the ground. the sabres current situation is his fault.

He is not getting nearly enough blame, and i am afraid that when this is all said and done that he will make darcy and/or lindy "the fall guy" and then just say "we think we are good enough and we have the talent but miller got hurt, we are going to maintain continuity and will be better next year". that is my biggest fear.

I disagree. I think it's solely because we no longer have Drury, Briere & Campbell. Regardless of their current production, on the Sabres they were world beaters and they're missed here terribly.

which is Larry Quinn's fault.

IMO its worse than that. they really miss the "jp dumonts, mike griers, jay mckees, marty birons" these were the GREAT role players/teammates that WANTED to win and brought mental toughness, leadership and some grit. these are the types of players we were sooo foolish to let go.

which is Larry Quinn's fault.

IMO its worse than that. they really miss the "jp dumonts, mike griers, jay mckees, marty birons" these were the GREAT role players/teammates that WANTED to win and brought mental toughness, leadership and some grit. these are the types of players we were sooo foolish to let go.

The only one you could make an argument for would be keeping Dumont instead of re-signing Max. Grier wanted to go closer to home.McKee wasn't and isn't worth 4 mil per year, and Miller is much better than Biron. Plus, Biron wasn't going to sit here and be a backup forever.

Drury and Briere showed that in some situations, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Worst part is the Rangers losing back to backers to Philly and the Panthers splitting their last two are very possible. The Sabres winning their last 3 is pretty much impossible.

While I do blame the front office for most of this mess, I think the league has changed since the lock out as well. The Sabres were the fastest team on the ice after the lock out and with the interference and holding penalties being enforced, it opened the ice up and they dominated. But the rules have changed back to the pre-lock out rules of hockey. Interference is rarely called, you can no longer dump and chase the puck without being interfered with. The defensemen can jump out and block your path with no risk of penalty. And holding and cross checking isn't called as tightly in the crease. These rules were enforced in order to open up the game and make it more exciting with the hopes of attracting a bigger fan base. But now defense and size is a bigger factor than speed.

The Sabres front office didn't adjust at all to the change and they are where they should be with their currect roster. They need a better D and size, speed alone will no longer win under the current officiating. And they are not even all that fast any more and still undersized, which is a deadly combination. I honestly believe that even with Drury, Campbell and Briere, this team is mid pack at best. But at least that puts them in the playoffs. It's very frustrating.

Start with this framework and fill in the parts for next year

Line 1 Vanek Connolly Stafford

Line 2 Pomminville Roy ?

Line 3 Paille Gaustad ?

Line 4 Kaleta Mair ?

D1 Rivet Butler

D2 Sekera?

d3 Weber?

G1 Miller

G2 ?

You don't think we should re-up on Macarthur? He seems to have a knack for finding the back of the net, and it's not as if he would cost us that much. Also, Lydman has one year left on his contract, and has been our best defenseman on many accounts (aside from his frustrating giveaways).